Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,689 members, 7,844,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

* - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / * (5066 Views)

Let's Not Cultivate That Habit Of Replacing Christ With X / Is Christianity Losing The Battle On Nairaland? / Christians Why Do Muslims ‘expect No Criticism’ And Why Do You Aid And Abet Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: * by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 09, 2012
CrazyMan:

The bolded word...are you already planing to give up your pursuit of christianity? Thought you said earlier that you want to become a christian?
Please quote the post where I said that.
Re: * by Areaboy2(m): 11:18am On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey:
I tire o! I even tried my darndest to make the original post peaceful yet people are already drawing swords and putting up needless defences.

Well, They always seem to miss the foundational message of christianity without asking themselves "WWJD" undecided. All we see today is religion for the people and not the other way around. Christianity has been modified many times over to suit them.

Try this same thread/question but direct it towards Atheist and see what you'll get wink
Re: * by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 09, 2012
Area_boy:

Try this same thread/question but direct it towards Atheist and see what you'll get wink
I have the intention of doing that later on. I know I'll get meaningful replies on such a thread rather than the baseless accusations every Christian on this thread (except Crazyman) has made against me.
Re: * by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey: I even tried my darndest to make the original post peaceful .
This says it all.

2 Likes

Re: * by CrazyMan(m): 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey:
Please quote the post where I said that.
Here is it below...note the past tense used.

E_monkey: so I would basically be avoiding the same things in that respect to what you mentioned, if I was a Christian.
Cheers.
I actually taught you would use "if I'm a christian". But never mind, I wouldn't want an argument on that really...I just want you to understand the basics of christianity before entering; so that when you eventually become one, your mind won't be filled with them say theory, which can make you opt out as a result of your disappointment.

Also if you still have further questions, feel free to share them.

Cheers.
Re: * by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2012
CrazyMan:

Also if you still have further questions, feel free to share them.

Cheers.
^I do have other questions.
1. As a Christian would I be allowed to have sëx without being married? I was talking to a Christian friend and they said that there is no verse in the Bible that explicitly forbids fornication.
2. You mentioned that the Bible does not forbid pursuing legitimate wealth and being wealthy, what about that verse in the Bible that says it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
3. Can you quote the Bible verse that says that people were fighting for Jesus' robe after his death?
Re: * by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey:
1. As a Christian would I be allowed to have sëx without being married? I was talking to a Christian friend and they said that there is no verse in the Bible that explicitly forbids fornication.
2. You mentioned that the Bible does not forbid pursuing legitimate wealth and being wealthy, what about that verse in the Bible that says it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
3. Can you quote the Bible verse that says that people were fighting for Jesus' robe after his death?
1st question
The answer is NO. Your christain friends dont know a dime about the commandments. Or rather, they have little understanding of the sixth commandment. The word 'adultery' appeared in the form of metonymy, i.e using a thing, to represent others of similar category. The main point been that one should not indulge in 'immoral sex'.
2nd question
Christ was pointing out how too many engagements can disengage you from the primary goal-attaining spiritual soundness. He was painting a picture of how material things can make you pay less or no attention to God. The aim is for you to be careful when material things in your life are on the increase, to avoid a reverse from spirituality.
3rd question
The 'people' who fought for his robe were his crucifiers-the soldiers. To them it was a celebration of victory in an amusing way. Luke 23:34.*aside, but why the 3rd question*
Re: * by Snowwy: 5:00pm On Sep 09, 2012
@E_Monkey,
I can see that your questions are being answeredby @Crazyman and @Reyginus.

However I will wish to add that your major gain in being a Christian is ETERNAL LIFE. Jesus said He is THE way, THE truth and THE life.
You only truely begin living eternity when you receive Christ.
Then you become a son of the Kingdom of God.
The kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.
The only righteousness that is acceptable is Christs, without Christ good acts are simply moral.

When God created man in the beginning, He wanted to enjoy mans fellowship but this was broken when man followed the Devil. God had to lay down rules I.e. His laws for man to follow but these laws were too hard for man to keep even if they had the best intentions to do so.

God had to send His Son to live with man so as to understand the nature of flesh and die for the sins of man to atone since he lived blameless. This was a bridge to restore God/mans relationship and also for Christ to be out advocate.

Therefore, wrnwe accept Christ, He lives through us and we can follow Gods perfect laws and inherit eternal life.

I pray God opens your eyes to see the beauty of His gift to the world and accept Him.
Re: * by CrazyMan(m): 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey:
1. As a Christian would I be allowed to have s^ëx without being married? I was talking to a Christian friend and they said that there is no verse in the Bible that explicitly forbids fornication.
S^ex is a sin. And for that your friend, he probably isn't a praticing christian...therefore I would suggest that you avoid discussing biblical issues with him, so you won't get yourself confused.

[b]1 Chorinthians 6:12-20.  "I have the right to do anything," you say—but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both." The body, however, is not meant for s^exual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a p^rostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a p^rostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh."17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

18 Flee from s^exual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins s^exually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
[/b]

God specifically warned us to abstain from s^ex and that passage shows that clearly...so like I stated earlier, your friend is wrong.

Also, I know that abstainance might look very difficult considering the fact that you're a youth, and we're in a corrupt age where even social networks and medias all encourage s^exual immorality.

Therefore, it would be quite a task trying to keep a growin christian away from it. But I would advise you notwithstanding that whenever you feel the urge to engage yourself in it (s^exual immorality), think of the disadvantes (such as STDs, unwanted pregnancies, heartbreak etc...) Associated with it, and ask yourself if its really worth the risk.

E_monkey: 2. You mentioned that the Bible does not forbid pursuing legitimate wealth and being wealthy, what about that verse in the Bible that says it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
True...but remember that there were also rich men in the bible who used their wealth to serve God.

Acts 4:36-37.  Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means "son of encouragement" ), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet.

Christ made that statement because most rich people then (and even now) find it difficult to spend quality time with God. If its not one business program, its a contract...they keep telling God I'm busy...maybe next time...but as a christian, you should put God first.

Being a christian means giving God the green light to run your life. So when you eventually become rich as a result of your hardwork, you won't begin to develop a nonchalant attitude towards him. You won't see serving him as a waste of valuable time, cos you would be so addicted to him.

E_monkey:

And they crucified him. Dividing up his clothes, they cast lots to see what each would get.
Re: * by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 09, 2012
Reyginus: 1st question
The answer is NO. Your christain friends dont know a dime about the commandments. Or rather, they have little understanding of the sixth commandment. The word 'adultery' appeared in the form of metonymy, i.e using a thing, to represent others of similar category. The main point been that one should not indulge in 'immoral sex'.
2nd question
Christ was pointing out how too many engagements can disengage you from the primary goal-attaining spiritual soundness. He was painting a picture of how material things can make you pay less or no attention to God. The aim is for you to be careful when material things in your life are on the increase, to avoid a reverse from spirituality.
3rd question
The 'people' who fought for his robe were his crucifiers-the soldiers. To them it was a celebration of victory in an amusing way. Luke 23:34.*aside, but why the 3rd question*
Are you tired of accusing me falsely?
Anyway in response to your reply;
1. Stop trying to twist one commandment to make it seem like it is saying what it isn't, quote the exact verse where fornication was forbidden.
2. Again, symbolism. Why is the interpretation symbolic, why isn't it straightforward?
Re: * by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 09, 2012
CrazyMan:
S^ex is a sin.
Really?

CrazyMan:

1 Chorinthians 6:12-20.  "I have the right to do anything," you say—but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 You say, "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both." The body, however, is not meant for s^exual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a p^rostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a p^rostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh."17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

18 Flee from s^exual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins s^exually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Are those laws not from the old testament? I thought old testament laws have passed away?

CrazyMan:

Also, I know that abstainance might look very difficult considering the fact that you're a youth, and we're in a corrupt age where even social networks and medias all encourage s^exual immorality.
Therefore, it would be quite a task trying to keep a growin christian away from it. But I would advise you notwithstanding that whenever you feel the urge to engage yourself in it (s^exual immorality), think of the disadvantes (such as STDs, unwanted pregnancies, heartbreak etc...) Associated with it, and ask yourself if its really worth the risk.

Thanks man. You're right though, abstaining is difficult as hell. I am facing so much temptation . . .sad

CrazyMan:

True...but remember that there were also rich men in the bible who used their wealth to serve God.

Acts 4:36-37.  Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means "son of encouragement" ), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet.[/b]

Christ made that statement because most rich people then (and even now) find it difficult to spend quality time with God. If its not one business program, its a contract...they keep telling God I'm busy...maybe next...but as a christian, you should put God first.

Being a christian means giving God the green to run your life. So when you eventually become rich as a result of your hardwork, you won't begin to develop a nonchalant attitude towards him. You won't see serving him as a waste of valuable time, cos you would be so addicted to him.

Ok.

CrazyMan:

[And they crucified him. Dividing up his clothes, they cast lots to see what each would get. ]
It was possible that they were dragging the clothes to get them as a souvenir. Not cos they were expensive.
Re: * by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey:
Are you tired of accusing me falsely?
Anyway in response to your reply;
1. Stop trying to twist one commandment to make it seem like it is saying what it isn't, quote the exact verse where fornication was forbidden.
2. Again, symbolism. Why is the interpretation symbolic, why isn't it straightforward?
Now am beginning to suspect your motive again.
The answers are clear to any unbiased mind. Christ dont have to use the word fornication for you to understand that same applies to it.Dont you get what metonymy is?...Are you condemning symbolism because it doesnt suit your aim? When you gave the quote of a needle passing through the eye of a camel, you were speaking plain? I get it. It is only symbolism when you say so, and not when the context seems so. Btw, what brought about the 3rd question?
Re: * by CrazyMan(m): 8:34pm On Sep 09, 2012
E_monkey: Really?
Yes my brother...its a sin. I don't know how else I would explain to you.

Any act you commit that goes contrary to your conscience, is a sin...sex which I explained earlier, is a typical example because it makes you feel guilty, used (women experience this aspect most), it also leaves you with lots of regrets once your through.

So even without even confirming from the bible, you should that sex is bad, because it brings more harm than good...and that abstinence is the best advice you can offer to someone.

E_monkey: Are those laws not from the old testament? I thought old testament laws have passed away?
Nope they're not from the old testament...take your time to read it properly. Galatians is a book in the new testament.

E_monkey: Thanks man. You're right though, abstaining is difficult as hell. I am facing so much temptation . . .sad
Yea I know its difficult...

In Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me.

Jesus is willing to strengthen you so you can over come that temptation of s^exual immorality. All you have to do is open up your heart to him...and believe he would give you strength beyond your imagination.

E_monkey: It was possible that they were dragging the clothes to get them as a souvenir. Not cos they were expensive.
Ok let's use common sense to analyze this passage...reading Mark 14:56 till chapter 15...

This passage tells us of how Jesus was mocked, spat on, crowned with a crown of thongs, severely beaten etc...now do you really think that the men who did all those awful things to him would have bothered about his garment if it was worthless?

They saw the value in cloth he was wearing that's why they took their precious time to gamble for it.
Re: * by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 09, 2012
@Reyginus, relax first, I don't have power to answer you yet.

CrazyMan:
Yes my brother...its a sin. I don't know how else I would explain to you.

Any act you commit that goes contrary to your conscience, is a sin...sex which I explained earlier, is a typical example because it makes you feel guilty, used (women experience this aspect most), it also leaves you with lots of regrets once your through.

So even without even confirming from the bible, you should that sex is bad, because it brings more harm than good...and that abstinence is the best advice you can offer to someone.

@bolded part,
dafuk are you talking about? You think having sëx makes me feel guilty? grin
So you are saying if I don't feel guilty then it is not a sin abi?

Secondly, how does sëx bring more harm than good?
CrazyMan:

Nope they're not from the old testament...take your time to read it properly. Galatians is a book in the new testament.

My bad

CrazyMan:

Jesus is willing to strengthen you so you can over come that temptation of s^exual immorality. All you have to do is open up your heart to him...and believe he would give you strength beyond your imagination.

But there is nothing that is enticing me to join Christianity. Why should I open my heart to him?

CrazyMan:

Ok let's use common sense to analyze this passage...reading Mark 14:56 till chapter 15...

This passage tells us of how Jesus was mocked, spat on, crowned with a crown of thongs, severely beaten etc...now do you really think that the men who did all those awful things to him would have bothered about his garment if it was worthless?

They saw the value in cloth he was wearing that's why they took their precious time to gamble for it.
But you are just making deductions, we weren't told that the garment was costly. They could have been dragging it because it was a clothing item of a once popular man.
Re: * by CrazyMan(m): 1:10am On Sep 10, 2012
E_monkey: @bolded part,
dafuk are you talking about? You think having sëx makes me feel guilty? grin
So you are saying if I don't feel guilty then it is not a sin abi?
Now look at it this way. Assuming you have a teenage daughter, and she comes to you to inquire whether pre-martial sex is good for her or not.

What answer would you give to her..would you tell to go ahead and enjoy sex provided she doesn't feel guilty? I want you to be honest with your answer.

E_monkey: Secondly, how does sëx bring more harm than good?
Answer the question I posted above, and I guess I would have a better view on how to reply yours...

E_monkey: But there is nothing that is enticing me to join Christianity. Why should I open my heart to him
Well christianity is a religion of choice, so I can't force you into it. I can only convince you...but the final step lies in your hands.

If you've already made up your mind that you won't open your heart to him, it means that even if I type here till daybreak your mind is already made. So why would you need an explanation?

E_monkey: But you are just making deductions, we weren't told that the garment was costly. They could have been dragging it because it was a clothing item of a once popular man.
The bible didn't say dragging, it said gambling. And people only gamble for valuable things and not worthless materials.

So without even the bible stating whether or not the cloth was costly, you should know with common wisdom that if that garment was worthless, the soldiers wouldn't have spent so much time on it, they would have thrown it away.
Re: * by Nobody: 3:14am On Sep 10, 2012
lol is there a difference? tongue
Re: * by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 10, 2012
More proof.
1 corinthians 6:18, 'flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth without the body; but he that comitteth fornication sinneth against his own body'
Re: * by sunto: 10:27am On Sep 10, 2012
A CALL TO CHRISTIANITY IS A CALL TO BE A CHILE OF GOD,CHRISTIANITY IS NOT JUST A RELIGION BUT A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GOD AND MAN.
Re: * by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2012
sunto: A CALL TO CHRISTIANITY IS A CALL TO BE A CHILE OF GOD,CHRISTIANITY IS NOT JUST A RELIGION BUT A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN GOD AND MAN.
Did you read the op at all? How is this a benefit?
Re: * by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Reyginus: More proof.
1 corinthians 6:18, 'flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth without the body; but he that comitteth fornication sinneth against his own body'

The verb "to fornicate" is derived from the Greek word
[b]korinth[/b]iazomai,a word which was derived from the city of Corinth, where promiscuity and sexual immorality abounded like no where else and the corinthians worshipped the goddess of love (eros), Aphrodite.

There were over 1,000 prostitutes in the temple of Aphrodite, so sexual promisuity was the norm.

In Paul's letter to the Corinthians he admonishes them to flee fornication, meaning avoid to avoid sexually promiscuous behaviour, sleeping with prostitutes, and multiple sex partners.

This is different from pre marital sex.
Re: * by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:

The verb "to fornicate" is derived from the Greek word
[b]korinth[/b]iazomai,a word which was derived from the city of Corinth, where promiscuity and sexual immorality abounded like no where else and the corinthians worshipped the goddess of love (eros), Aphrodite.

There were over 1,000 prostitutes in the temple of Aphrodite, so sexual promisuity was the norm.

In Paul's letter to the Corinthians he admonishes them to flee fornication, meaning avoid to avoid sexually promiscuous behaviour, sleeping with prostitutes, and multiple sex partners.

This is different from pre marital sex.

Are you okay? Did you get the Op at all? Is this a strategy to discredit the main issue, which is to provide him a passage where fornication was forbidden? In your COPY AND PASTE you forgot that immorality also applies to fornication. Wiseman
Re: * by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
Reyginus: Are you okay? Did you get the Op at all? Is this a strategy to discredit the main issue, which is to provide him a passage where fornication was forbidden? In your COPY AND PASTE you forgot that immorality also applies to fornication.
The original message by Paul in his letters was not 'avoid sex before marriage', it was 'avoid the p.rostitutes and who.res in your town'. This was what I wanted to point out so why are you getting worked up?
Re: * by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:
The original message by Paul in his letters was not 'avoid sex before marriage', it was 'avoid the p.rostitutes and who.res in your town'. This was what I wanted to point out so why are you getting worked up?
Lololol. Ma'am what's immorality?
Re: * by Bella3(f): 5:48pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:
an according to paul and early christains, every girl that sleeps with a man before marriage is a whor.e.
Re: * by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 10, 2012
Reyginus: Lololol. Ma'am what's immorality?
Lololol, Reyginus, why don't you find out for yourself?
Re: * by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: an according to paul and early christains, every girl that sleeps with a man before marriage is a whor.e.
Did he say they should not commit fornication?
Re: * by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis: Lololol, Reyginus, why don't you find out for yourself?
lol. You are quite a character.
I believe you've seen the error in your post.
Re: * by Bella3(f): 5:56pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:
yes!
Re: * by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:
LWKMH o. See logic o. fellis na u biko. You have to meet buzugee aka obadiah.
Re: * by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: yes!
Really? Wasn't he just saying they should avoid the wh.ores and not premarital sexy times?
Reyginus: LWKMH o. See logic o. fellis na u biko. You have to meet buzugee aka obadiah.
Why na?
Re: * by Bella3(f): 6:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
fellis:
Really? Wasn't he just saying they should avoid the wh.ores not premarital sexy times?
if you avoid the who.res you are avoiding fornication.
Re: * by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bélla3: if you avoid the who.res you are avoiding fornication.
So I am allowed to have premarital sexx as long as I don't do it with wh.ores?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is MouthAction In MARRAIGE A SIN? / What Is The Meaning Of Christ's Words In Matthew 10:34? / Another Proof That Jesus Christ Is Not An Angel!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.