Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria (57109 Views)

Opinion: Top 5 Nigerias Most Beautiful University Libraries / 6 Of The Most Beautiful University Libraries In Nigeria (photos) / Public Libraries Within Ogba, Ikeja And Agege: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 7:13pm On Sep 10, 2012
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:36pm On Sep 10, 2012
30) Ikeja Secretariat Library, Lagos.
31) Herbert Macaulay Library, Yaba (Lagos State Owned)
32) Ikorodu Divisional Library,
33) Badagry Divisional Library,
34) Epe Divisional Library,
35) Isolo Public Library,
36) Tolu Public Library, Ajegunle
37) Borno House Library, Jakande Estate, Amuwo Odofin.
38) E-Learning Center, Odunlami Street, Lagos Island (former Central Library)
39) Ipaja Public Library, Shagari Estate
40) Henry Carr Library, Cement Bus Stop, Agege, Lagos.

#list of Lagos State owned public libraries.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by VORA: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
Gbobo Fawehinmi memorial public library . Lane road ondo
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by nikola(m): 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
val_dubem: Garki Public Library Arae2 Abuja.

Apo Library; after Gudu market, Gudu Apo Abuja.

Hello, Please have you been to this library? If yes, what kind of books do they have? Thanks.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by nikola(m): 9:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
naptu2: 30) Ikeja Secretariat Library, Lagos.
31) Herbert Macaulay Library, Yaba (Lagos State Owned)
32) Ikorodu Divisional Library,
33) Badagry Divisional Library,
34) Epe Divisional Library,
35) Isolo Public Library,
36) Tolu Public Library, Ajegunle
38) E-Learning Center, Odunlami Street, Lagos Island (former Central Library)
39) Ipaja Public Library, Shagari Estate
40) Henry Carr Library, Cement Bus Stop, Agege, Lagos.

Hello, please could you make a write up of private libraries in Abuja that are well stocked? Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by damoskiy(m): 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
1. National Library of Nigeria, Oda Road (Opposite Ondo State Law Commision), Akure, Ondo State.

2. Ondo State Public Library, St Peters Bus Stop, Oyemekun Road, Akure, Ondo State.

3. National Library of Nigeria Festival Road P.M.B. 1, Area 2 (Near Shopping Centre) Garki, Abuja.

4. National Library of Nigeria, 227,Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba, Lagos State.

5. Illupeju Public Library (not sure that's the name), Opposite LSDPC, Illupeju, Lagos State.

6. National Library Enugu, NTA road, beside ESBS junction, Enugu.

7. Enugu State Library. Market Road, Opposite Mgbemena Park, Enugu.

8. National Library, No 1 Bida road, opposite CBN, Kaduna

9. Kaduna State Library No 3 Bida road, opposite NBTE, Kaduna

10. Kwara State Library No 16, Sulu Gambari way, opposite NIPOST Office, Ilorin Kwara State

11. Akwa-ibom State Library: Plot 43 IBB way, Uyo akwa-ibom state

12. Edo State Public Library, Benin City.

13. Federal Library, Jos Beside Plateau State Polytechnic Holshe

14. State Library, Jos Tafa Belewa, Opp Plateau Riders Jos-North
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by mormodica(m): 11:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ezekiah Oluwasanmi Library,Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife,Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by brosnan68: 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Lillyeean(f): 12:53am On Sep 11, 2012
phiszo: Stella obasanjo library, Lokoja, Kogi State.

hehehehehe......You mean the one now used for wedding reception
every saturday.... #I laff in silence#... Some library indeed....
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by arewaboy(m): 5:37am On Sep 11, 2012
murtala mohammed library complex, nassarawa GRA kano. owned by the federal govt.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by phiszo(m): 6:21am On Sep 11, 2012
Lillyeean:

lol grin
Lillyeean:

lol
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 11, 2012
ConcernMan: Which kind yeye National Library Yaba Lagos. That is the worst library I have ever being to in my life. A library where library users are not allowed access inside but only read outside(under a shade). My reading table is 10x better than that library. When you even manage to go in there all you see is newspapers of Zik and Awololwo. Call that National Archive and not National Library Pleasssssssssss!!!!!!!

You've got τ̅☺ come with your Id if u're τ̅☺ be allowed in the Main Library,
i'm also a frequent user of the library

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by TeskyMan(m): 9:29am On Sep 11, 2012
shol:

You've got τ̅☺ come with your Id if u're τ̅☺ be allowed in the Main Library,
i'm also a frequent user of the library

[b]I agree with you. "Corcernman" got it totally wrong. Before you can be allowed access into National Laibrary Herbert M, Alagomeji, Yaba, Lagos, you've got to tender a valid ID Card(most especially something to identify you as a student of any tertiary institution). I remember in my uni. days, that library was of immeasurable help to me. My daily routine was like Lecture room(Unilag) - National Library - My house, on daily basis. This was about 12 - 13 years ago. Up till tomorrow, my niece still use the same library for GCE & WAEC but you've got to have ID Card before you can go in. The issue with books in the library in both 1st and 2nd Floor is, they are obsolete. Nonetheless, if you do a thorough searching you'll still find some of them useful. Its just a pity that "most' students of nowadays hardly use the library they prefer "facebooking".

There is a small library in the Psychiatric Hospital at Yaba Bus stop, Lagos. Psychiatric Hospital main entrance gate is directly opposite the BRT Corridor main bus-stop, Yaba. The Library is also very very quiet but few books and limited space. Not to compare with the National library at Alagomeji at all. I can tell you affirmatively that all the books there are obsolete. Go there with your books, laptops etc, you only need to register with =N=200 per Annum, get it right I said =N=200 for the whole year. It's really cool to read in that library I must confess. Another advantage this small library has is that, they operate from 8a.m. to 8p.m., yes 8 p.m. In my ACCA days, that used to be my favorite library.

Hope this helps someone...
[/b]

4 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by question(m): 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
damoskiy: 1. National Library of Nigeria, Oda Road (Opposite Ondo State Law Commision), Akure, Ondo State.

2. Ondo State Public Library, St Peters Bus Stop, Oyemekun Road, Akure, Ondo State.

3. National Library of Nigeria Festival Road P.M.B. 1, Area 2 (Near Shopping Centre) Garki, Abuja.

4. National Library of Nigeria, 227,Herbert Macaulay Way, Yaba, Lagos State.

5. Illupeju Public Library (not sure that's the name), Opposite LSDPC, Illupeju, Lagos State.

6. National Library Enugu, NTA road, beside ESBS junction, Enugu.

7. Enugu State Library. Market Road, Opposite Mgbemena Park, Enugu.

8. National Library, No 1 Bida road, opposite CBN, Kaduna

9. Kaduna State Library No 3 Bida road, opposite NBTE, Kaduna

10. Kwara State Library No 16, Sulu Gambari way, opposite NIPOST Office, Ilorin Kwara State

11. Akwa-ibom State Library: Plot 43 IBB way, Uyo akwa-ibom state

12. Edo State Public Library, Benin City.

13. Federal Library, Jos Beside Plateau State Polytechnic Holshe

14. State Library, Jos Tafa Belewa, Opp Plateau Riders Jos-North
Any library in Niger delta (Rivers/Bayelsa/Delta)States?
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by talk2hb1(m): 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2012
Henrry Carr Library Agege.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 7:01pm On Sep 11, 2012
Is

29. Amuwo-Odofin Public Library, Opposite, Amuwo-Odofin/Mile 2 Central Mosque, Mile 2, Lagos State.

the same as

naptu2:

Please if you know the proper address for Nos 32 - 36, please provide. Thanks

mormodica: Ezekiah Oluwasanmi Library,Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife,Nigeria.

Is't available to the general public?
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
Apologies. Here are proper addresses:

*Ikeja Secretariat Library
Oba Akinjobi Road, Old Secretariat, Ikeja
01-2167392

*Herbert Macaulay Library
338, Herbert Macaulay Road, Yaba
01-2168002

*Ikorodu Divisional Library
T.O.S. Benson Road, Ikorodu
01-2161903

*Tolu Public Library
Temidire Street, Tolu School Complex, Ajegunle
01-2166661

*Isolo Public Library
Holy Saviour College Road, Off Osolo Way, Isolo
01-2161896

*Epe Divisional Library
Recreation Field, Epe

*Badagry Divisional Library
Marine Road, Badagry
01-2161189

*Borno House Library
Block 130, Jakande Estate, Amuwo Odofin, Mile 2
01-2161218

*Ipaja Public Library
24, Akinogun Street, Shagari Estate
Pako B/Stop, Ipaja
01-2167839

*Ilupeju Public Library
3, Ade Akinsanya Avenue, Opp. LSDPC, Ilupeju
01-2167618

*Henry Carr Public Library
Behind Conoil Petrol Station, Cement B/Stop, Agege
01-2168210

2 Likes

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
Lagos Island has suffered because of its decreasing political importance. In the past it was the capital of both Lagos and Nigeria and therefore had the headquarters of the National Library of Nigeria and the Lagos Central Library.

However, since the capital of Lagos was moved to Ikeja and the Capital of Nigeria moved to Abuja, things have changed. The former National Library headquarters 4, Wesley Street, Lagos Island has been given to the Centre for Black African Arts and Culture (CBAAC), while the Lagos Central Library at Odunlami/Broad Street is now the E-Learning Centre (E-library).

I heard that the Church of Assumption in Ikoyi has a free library service, but I haven't gone to check it out myself.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by mojeks: 8:31am On Sep 12, 2012
74 Libraries, some mentioned here, got a full e-library suite, 50 pcs and 1 year internet service. Guys try and use them. I will send a list of these libraries soon, there are 2 in each state and FCT.

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 12:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
naptu2:
However, since the capital of Lagos was moved to Ikeja and the Capital of Nigeria moved to Abuja, things have changed. The former National Library headquarters 4, Wesley Street, Lagos Island has been given to the Centre for Black African Arts and Culture (CBAAC), while the Lagos Central Library at Odunlami/Broad Street is now the E-Learning Centre (E-library).

I heard that the Church of Assumption in Ikoyi has a free library service, but I haven't gone to check it out myself.

Thanks for the list )
I'll try later to compile and classify the lists according to the 6 zones in Nigeria.

Errmm, what d'you know about the e-library? Is't for the public? Someone once told me to try it out and mentioned of another library at CMS (near the bookshop). Dunno if there's anything like that.

It's kinda disappointing that when one assumes that the class of people living on the Island is 'above-average' literacy level, public libraries should be jostling for spaces in Eti-Osa LG, Ajah etc. I remember Punch newspaper once published a report on the state of libraries - that's an issue for another day.

If we're gonna see our students passing WAEC/GCE, we have to make some basic facilities easily assessible to them in every nook and cranny before blaming Mr FB and Mrs Twitter. Why would a primary school student or high school student or a kid who's got no shoes have to pay to use libraries - hence the emphasis on PUBLIC libraries. At least if dem dey open and close, na somewhere to start from.
Traders, artisans take over public library in Lagos

@mojeks
Please do. Thanks
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by naptu2: 1:50pm On Sep 15, 2012
From what I've read, parts of the E-Learning Centre are free & open to the public. The centre has the following facilities: -

1) E-Library
2) Book Library
3) Conference Centre
4) E-Testing Centre

And so on. The book and e libraries are meant to be free. However, the place looks deserted every time I pass by it. You can see pictures of the centre on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/999995/fashola-commissions-state-art-e

The E-Learning Centre is the only library I know in the CMS area (it is directly opposite Bookshop House). Further down Broad Street is the former headquarters of the National Library of Nigeria. It is a huge structure. It has been taken over by the Centre for Black African Arts and Culture (CBAAC) and the Office of The Head of The Civil Service of The Federation (Lagos annex).

Apart from the 11 Lagos State owned libraries that I listed, there are 20 local government owned libraries in Lagos, but I only know of the Surulere Local Government Public Library. I'll try and get the addresses of all the local government libraries.

The Church of Assumption, Falomo, Ikoyi library can be accessed for free. You are only required to register by writing your name, date and time you used the library, your occupation and the items you brought with you (books, bags, etc). There are books on a wide range of topics and the library is air conditioned. I hear that other churches in Lagos have such public libraries. I'll try and get their addresses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 15, 2012
ibrodex: National library kwara:
Offa road GRA Ilorin kwara

Dr Olusola Saraki library
Agbo-Oba road, Ilorin

You brought back memories... I spent one of the best years of my life within the fence of the National Library, Offa Road. I can never forget the gentle and good-natured librarian then, Mr. Odeyemi, who died in a road accident shortly after I finished NYSC. Adieu still, big uncle.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
Here are a few more to add to the list already provided by @Mustay

Central Medical Library
Murtala Muhammed Way, Yaba, Lagos Mainland, Lagos, Nigeria

Reviewer (Aniema Obot): It is located in a conducive place.It is a very good place to go for research,I gathered a lot of material when i went there for research.

National Library of Nigeria
Sanusi Dantata House,Behind Nicon Plaza,Central Business District, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria

Reviewer (Philip Onyeador): a well deserved national library yet i still believe that a whole lot of the resource materials needs updating as most articles are out dated . but for archives i think they have good stock of them

Onitsha Divisional Library
Enugu Road, Onitsha North, Anambra, Nigeria

Reviewer (KE Okpala): I dont like the location of the library.What is more, the size of the library is small and barely accommodate few students.The last time i went there was when i was writing my project in 2009. Besides, I will advice the management to stop leasing part of the building to private remedial outfits.Infact, they need to improve on the kinds of books the have their.Most of them are outdated.

Fola Sasegbon Memorial Law
No 46 Akinsoji Street, Fadeyi – Igbobi Lagos.
Admission Fee: Users are admitted and allowed to access the Library resources upon registration, for an annual registration fee = N = 2,500 (two thousand five hundred Naira).

Beautiful Minds Children's Library
Plot 474 Jerome Hwande Street, Behind Bem hotel, (Before Shepherd Heritage Academy), Ankpa quarters ext , Makurdi, Benue State
Admission Fee: Library Annual Registration N3000; Literacy improvement class N2000/month

Source

1 Like

Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by izzylove24: 11:50am On Dec 27, 2012
plz am writing my thesis now,can anyone help me with the name of the site i can visit to get an alraedy done research thesis to enable me gather more ideas in order for me to complete me thesis work? thanks God bless anyone that will render help.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by uceee(m): 11:07am On Dec 31, 2012
izzylove24: plz am writing my thesis now,can anyone help me with the name of the site i can visit to get an alraedy done research thesis to enable me gather more ideas in order for me to complete me thesis work? thanks God bless anyone that will render help.
You will find such works in libraries of tertiary institutions. U may not find them in the general school library, but in the faculty/departmental libraries.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by 1k001(m): 9:54am On Jan 03, 2013
The quantity and quality of public libraries in nigeria is poor. We should consider commencing local community book repositories and reading spaces.
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Odunnu: 10:03am On Jan 03, 2013
Take the lead. We will support you
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by aragbs4real05: 12:14am On Jan 05, 2013
I know no one will tell me there is no single library in d whole oyo state...
Re: List Of Public Libraries In Nigeria by Babymiles(f): 12:36pm On Jan 26, 2013
What are the different laws guiding the existence of library in Nigeria since 1980?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Schoolmate Of Sylvester Oromoni Reveals How He Was Tortured By Senior Students / Fareedah Oyolola Emerges World Brightest Student (Johns Hopkins Center) / Pictures That Show That Cheating In Exams Is On A Whole Other Level.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.