Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,357 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Bloody Sunday In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bloody Sunday In Lagos (1348 Views)

Bloody Rivers: Amaechi, Wike Are Gainers, No Political Gladiator Ever Loses / Bloody Coup: Emir Sanusi Sends Nigeria A Very Strong Warning / 'Radio Biafra: Protest Turns Bloody, Four Shot' - Daily Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Bloody Sunday In Lagos by supereagle(m): 3:29am On Sep 10, 2012
•Robbers kill three policemen, three others •10 injured •Police gun down two suspects •Govt: no cause for alarm

IT was a bloody Sunday in Lagos yesterday.

Rampaging robbers shot dead three policemen, a bureau de change operator, an Okada (commercial motorcycle) rider and a bus driver.

There were reports of more deaths which The Nation could not confirm.

More than 10 people were believed to have been injured. They include an official of the Lagos State Traffic management Authority (LASTMA).

The bureau de change was attacked in Agege. A large amount of foreign currencies was reportedly carted away by the robbers, who killed one of the operators.

But the Lagos State Government assured residents of adequate security. It described the situation as “unfortunate”, urging residents to be vigilant.

The robbers, said to be eight, including two women, drove round in two SUVs - a Prado and an Armada. They shot the policemen who were inside their patrol vehicle near the Guinness Brewery on Oba Akran, Ikeja. Two of the five policemen inside the patrol van died instantly. The third was taken to the hospital, where he died.

A stray bullet hit a six-year- old girl in the eye. Her grandmother was hit on the forehead. They were watching television in their home at 15, Alfa-Nla Street in Agege on the outskirts of the city.

A stray bullet also hit a parked Volvo ambulance with registration number HL 355 AAA belonging to Motolani Medical Centre. It shattered the rear windscreen.

The robbers were said to have been spotted at about 10.35a.m at Ifako-Gbagada from where they reportedly drove through Oshodi to Mile 2 and Agege.

They shot dead an Okada rider in Ijesha on the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway.

At Agege, the police reportedly engaged the robbers who shot sporadically and headed toward Ogba. On their way, a driver of a commercial bus, (Lagos XQ336 EKY) was shot dead. His vehicle crashed into a ditch at the Railway crossing.

The robbers, who made a detour and were retreating through the Oba Akran Road, met the patrol team and double crossed their van.

The bodies of the policemen were first taken to the Area ‘F’ Police Command, Ikeja before being taken to the mortuary.

When our reporter visited Oba Akran in front of Guinness Plc, about 10 patrol vehicles and an Armoured Personal Carrier (APC) were on the scene. An eyewitness, a commercial motorcycle operator who simply identified himself as Kabiru, told The Nation that he was following the SUV in which the robbers were operating, unknown to him that they were armed robbers, until he saw how they suddenly double crossed the patrol team and started shooting at the policemen.

He said: “It was like a war scene. I saw death with my eyes. They shot dead two policemen. I took cover near the war zone.”

Lagos Police chief Umar Manko, who confirmed the incident, said the gunmen were being chased by policemen.

“The police got wind of their operation and were chasing them and, in the process, two officers were killed,” Manko said.

He noted that the hoodlums killed the policemen because the patrol vehicle was met in an Isolated place.

He said he suspected that the bandits had snatched a police communication equipment, with which they monitored police directives.

On the bureau de change killings, the police chief said: “I cannot confirm either the death of the civilians or the robbery at the bureau de change because I do not have that fact, but I’ll contact you once I am put in the know.”

Confirming the attack on of one of its men LASTMA spokesman Richard Omolase said he was informed by zonal head Kester Ademola that the officer was shot at Anthony were the agency has its zonal office.

He gave the name of the affected person as Sosan M, a level four officer. Who is recuperating at the Gbagada General Hospital.

Lagos State Commissioner for Information Lateef Ibirogba described the sporadic shooting by hoodlums as ugly and unfortunate, especially on a Sunday afternoon. He extended regards to the injured.

He said although no society was free of crime, the state government was committed to ensuring that people can go to bed with their eyes closed.”The Lagos State Government will always make sure that there is co-operation between the government and the security agencies to kick crime out of the state. We are putting in our best to get crime and criminals out of Lagos as well as ensure that security agencies live up to their responsibilities.”We will always complement security agencies to make Lagosians and other residents go to bed with their eyes closed,” he said.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news/60971-bloody-sunday-in-lagos.html
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by pdone: 6:05am On Sep 10, 2012
There is no picture, no video and on the website just a picture of a smiling police man. Is it bad journalism or is it lack of equipment/payment. Anyway to the lost souls, may their souls rest in peace. Amen
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Timmy4wealth: 6:23am On Sep 10, 2012
pdone: There is no picture, no video and on the website just a picture of a smiling police man. Is it bad journalism or is it lack of equipment/payment. Anyway to the lost souls, may their souls rest in peace. Amen
pdone: There is no picture, no video and on the website just a picture of a smiling police man. Is it bad journalism or is it lack of equipment/payment. Anyway to the lost souls, may their souls rest in peace. Amen
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Ade001: 6:34am On Sep 10, 2012
It was like a war zone in my area yesterday, those guys are not smiling.
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Caseless: 6:42am On Sep 10, 2012
Hmmm..wen d Op said 'bloody sunday', i thot it is d kind of 'bloody sunday' we've had in d north cos e no de funny at all. May their souls rest in peace!
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 10, 2012
Na wa oh; no be small yawa, may their souls rest in peace!
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Sep 10, 2012
wicked!! *sad*
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Gbawe: 8:03am On Sep 10, 2012
Serious Governors (like Ameachi, Fashola, Fayemi et al) know why they are vehemently demanding State Police. Let the FG carry on their gradualist approach of dithering while the house burns. Nigeria continues to deteriorate ,as an Arena of insecurity, every damn day.

No one sees any improvement despite empty talk and huge sums being devoted to security. Is it not time to sincerely, for the greater good of society, admit that State Policing is an option? Instead everyone, including ordinary Nigerians losing their lives needlessly, continue to argue myopically that Governors will use State Police to hound Political opponent. Is that what is truly important or of utmost priority when focus should be on everyday crime and policing that affects the majority and impact on the Primary duty of a police force i.e the everyday protection of lives and property?

I really hate Nigeria sometimes. Every simple thing is complicated by the parochial greed and inconsideration of those who want things to stay the same. There would be hell to pay if what is written below happened in any major City in the Western world. Yet criminals regularly turns Lagos into something resembling a Hollywood movie with no one brought to book in the end. The able Governor of Lagos says he wants State Police , to curtail crime better, yet a very irresponsible FG , rather than join efforts with those who have proven their competence, continues to look the other way in a show of crass leadership incompetence, insensitivity and self-servitude.

A stray bullet hit a six-year- old girl in the eye. Her grandmother was hit on the forehead. They were watching television in their home at 15, Alfa-Nla Street in Agege on the outskirts of the city.

They shot the policemen who were inside their patrol vehicle near the Guinness Brewery on Oba Akran, Ikeja. Two of the five policemen inside the patrol van died instantly. The third was taken to the hospital, where he died.

1 Like

Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by nikkyshyne(f): 8:05am On Sep 10, 2012
Ghen ghen. Action film. May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace. May we not be victims either IJN.

1 Like

Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Gbawe: 8:09am On Sep 10, 2012
nikkyshyne: Ghen ghen. Action film. May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace. May we not be victims either IJN.

Amen. RIP to the departed.
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 9:38am On Sep 10, 2012
It was really scary as the robbers were firing bullets like they were in a war front. I even saw an helicopter hover around my area several times yesterday.
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Ariyke: 9:45am On Sep 10, 2012
may their soul rest in the bossom of God
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by oderemo(m): 10:00am On Sep 10, 2012
No one sees any improvement despite empty talk and huge sums being devoted to security. Is it not time to sincerely, for the greater good of society, admit that State Policing is an option? Instead everyone, including ordinary Nigerians losing their lives needlessly, continue to argue myopically that Governors will use State Police to hound Political opponent. Is that what is truly important or of utmost priority when focus should be on everyday crime and policing that affects the majority and impact on the Primary duty of a police force i.e the everyday protection of lives and property?
@gbawe can u pls tell me in simple english how state police would have helped stop the killing of ten citizen involved in this armed robbery ?
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by honeric01(m): 10:03am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva: It was really scary as the robbers were firing bullets like they were in a war front. I even saw an helicopter hover around my area several times yesterday.

Any picture?
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Sep 10, 2012
honeric01:

Any picture?
I even captured it on video. Just hold on and i'll upload it. But this one is from a movie scene oo and not the real thing.
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:55am On Sep 10, 2012
honeric01:

Any picture?

^^^Poor Afam must have been ducking under his window for dear life.....trying to dodge bullets, and you're asking for pics!!?? shocked
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by honeric01(m): 11:17am On Sep 10, 2012
afam4eva:
I even captured it on video. Just hold on and i'll upload it. But this one is from a movie scene oo and not the real thing.

i thought as much lol

PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Poor Afam must have been ducking under his window for dear life.....trying to dodge bullets, and you're asking for pics!!?? shocked
afam4eva:

i thought as much lol

lol
Re: Bloody Sunday In Lagos by OAM4J: 11:32am On Sep 10, 2012

(1)

Imam Abubakar Shekau(boko Haram Leader)message to President Jonathan / FG Cancels Controversial Recruitment Into Nigeria Immigration Service / Al-Baghdadi's Plan For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.