Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,897 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos (13901 Views)

Female Suicide Bombers Attack Hospital In Borno, Kill 3 / Patience Jonathan’s Rally In Kaduna: 800 Policemen, Others Guard Deployed / 3 Policemen Killed At A Station In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by benz33(m): 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2012
IT was a bloody Sunday in lagos yesterday.

Rampaging robbers shot dead three policemen, a bureau de change operator, an Okada (commercial motorcycle) rider and a bus driver.

There were reports of more deaths which The Nation could not confirm

More than 10 people were believed to have been injured. They include an official of the lagos State Traffic management Authority (LASTMA).

The bureau de change was attacked in Agege. A large amount of foreign currencies was reportedly carted away by the robbers, who killed one of the operators.

But the lagos State Government assured residents of adequate security. It described the situation as “unfortunate”, urging residents to be vigilant.

The robbers, said to be eight, including two women, drove round in two SUVs - a Prado and an Armada. They shot the policemen who were inside their patrol vehicle near the Guinness Brewery on Oba Akran, Ikeja. Two of the five policemen inside the patrol van died instantly. The third was taken to the hospital, where he died.

A stray bullet hit a six-year- old girl in the eye. Her grandmother was hit on the forehead. They were watching television in their home at 15, Alfa-Nla Street in Agege on the outskirts of the city.

A stray bullet also hit a parked Volvo ambulance with registration number HL 355 AAA belonging to Motolani Medical Centre. It shattered the rear windscreen.

The robbers were said to have been spotted at about 10.35a.m at Ifako-Gbagada from where they reportedly drove through Oshodi to Mile 2 and Agege.

They shot dead an Okada rider in Ijesha on the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway.

At Agege, the police reportedly engaged the robbers who shot sporadically and headed toward Ogba. On their way, a driver of a commercial bus, (lagos XQ336 EKY) was shot dead. His vehicle crashed into a ditch at the Railway crossing.

The robbers, who made a detour and were retreating through the Oba Akran Road, met the patrol team and double crossed their van.

The bodies of the policemen were first taken to the Area ‘F’ Police Command, Ikeja before being taken to the mortuary.

When our reporter visited Oba Akran in front of Guinness Plc, about 10 patrol vehicles and an Armoured Personal Carrier (APC) were on the scene. An eyewitness, a commercial motorcycle operator who simply identified himself as Kabiru, told The Nation that he was following the SUV in which the robbers were operating, unknown to him that they were armed robbers, until he saw how they suddenly double crossed the patrol team and started shooting at the policemen.

He said: “It was like a war scene. I saw death with my eyes. They shot dead two policemen. I took cover near the war zone.”

lagos Police chief Umar Manko, who confirmed the incident, said the gunmen were being chased by policemen.

“The police got wind of their operation and were chasing them and, in the process, two officers were killed,” Manko said.

He noted that the hoodlums killed the policemen because the patrol vehicle was met in an Isolated place.

He said he suspected that the bandits had snatched a police communication equipment, with which they monitored police directives.

On the bureau de change killings, the police chief said: “I cannot confirm either the death of the civilians or the robbery at the bureau de change because I do not have that fact, but I’ll contact you once I am put in the know.”

Confirming the attack on of one of its men LASTMA spokesman Richard Omolase said he was informed by zonal head Kester Ademola that the officer was shot at Anthony were the agency has its zonal office.

He gave the name of the affected person as Sosan M, a level four officer. Who is recuperating at the Gbagada General Hospital.

lagos State Commissioner for Information Lateef Ibirogba described the sporadic shooting by hoodlums as ugly and unfortunate, especially on a Sunday afternoon. He extended regards to the injured.

He said although no society was free of crime, the state government was committed to ensuring that people can go to bed with their eyes closed.”The lagos State Government will always make sure that there is co-operation between the government and the security agencies to kick crime out of the state. We are putting in our best to get crime and criminals out of lagos as well as ensure that security agencies live up to their responsibilities.”We will always complement security agencies to make Lagosians and other residents go to bed with their eyes closed,” he said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news/60971-bloody-sunday-in-lagos.html
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by frankcimc(m): 10:45am On Sep 10, 2012
This is really a bad news, May the dead RIP.
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by kingsceemark(m): 10:47am On Sep 10, 2012
Hmmmm, three policemen? Dem dey sleep wen dat happen? What A shame. if na 2 kill becos of #20 dem go sabi. But wetin our nigeria Army dey do 4 barrack? make our government bring dem join dis criminals POLICEMEN wey no fit defend demself. Go 2 the EAST or BENIN ORE road and see how active and strong dis criminals POLICEMEN be in collecting money. May dem soul rest in anywhere wey GOD chose 4 dem.

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Nasri100(m): 10:49am On Sep 10, 2012
It wasnt funny yesterday.
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by BBM: 10:50am On Sep 10, 2012
Gun men Are they Boko haram?
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Escape1082: 10:51am On Sep 10, 2012
police normal take actions after death occurs.
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 10, 2012
Wow! I THOUGHT THE SECURITY SITUATION IN LAGOS GOT BETTER. cry
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Ayomax(m): 10:57am On Sep 10, 2012
can't believe this happening in my own neighborhood
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by haisam: 10:57am On Sep 10, 2012
hmm nigerian when was this going to stop. Yesterday cultism, today boko haram, tommorow armed robber. May god save us all. RIP
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by dealordea(m): 10:57am On Sep 10, 2012
These happened in my street, four aboki's shot dead from straight bullet!! Some were wounded.. Police showed up 15mins after the robber's left..
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Chinnepat: 11:00am On Sep 10, 2012
These guyz were at Ojodu ysterdae!
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by wandeay: 11:00am On Sep 10, 2012
mastered! They operated like soldiers, as for the policemen, they only came armoured after the incident, when will we be free from all this.
If you are there, you are not safe, if you run, you are not safe, if you sit in your house quietly, stray bullet will come, if its not aeroplane from the sky, it wil be vehicle, lastma or robbers from the land, or pirates on the sea, all sectors in Nigeria needs serious and strict attention
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 10, 2012
angrynawa oooo.RIP
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by dealordea(m): 11:04am On Sep 10, 2012
The most painful part na the aboki wey dey sell full chicken BBQ for Moricas pain me, I no go fit eat chicken again!! Useless police
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by dealordea(m): 11:06am On Sep 10, 2012
Those guys were yoruba guys!!! You need to see the way they were shouting( ewa gba chocolate).. Nobi film trick

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by omojeje419: 11:07am On Sep 10, 2012
May der soul rest in peace
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by ashmanpolo: 11:16am On Sep 10, 2012
deal_ordea: These happened in my street, four aboki's shot dead from straight bullet!! Some were wounded.. Police showed up 15mins after the robber's left..

...And started arresting innocent people (complete youя comment na)
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by hardbody: 11:17am On Sep 10, 2012
I have since resolved to be sitting at home on weekends. Better to face death in a known environment than elsewhere. It's a pity for the civilians caught in the cross fire, as for the police, SMH
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 10, 2012
kingsceemark: Hmmmm, three policemen? Dem dey sleep wen dat happen? What A shame. if na 2 kill becos of #20 dem go sabi. But wetin our nigeria Army dey do 4 barrack? make our government bring dem join dis criminals POLICEMEN wey no fit defend demself. Go 2 the EAST or BENIN ORE road and see how active and strong dis criminals POLICEMEN be in collecting money. May dem soul rest in anywhere wey GOD chose 4 dem.
Dude, dese policemen are not Iron man. Am sure they were caught unawares and were left helpless. Even d best trained policemen oversees lose their lives. May d souls of d dead RIP

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by inspirenet: 11:20am On Sep 10, 2012
chipmunkey: Wow! I THOUGHT THE SECURITY SITUATION IN LAGOS GOT BETTER. cry
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by oluemmakay(m): 11:20am On Sep 10, 2012
deal_ordea: The most painful part na the aboki wey dey sell full chicken BBQ for Moricas pain me, I no go fit eat chicken again!! Useless police
Eeyahhh...... Dat guy don die? Na my uncle e go pain pass because ebi regular customa. RIP
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by olabiz2010: 11:21am On Sep 10, 2012
kingsceemark: Hmmmm, three policemen? Dem dey sleep wen dat happen? What A shame. if na 2 kill becos of #20 dem go sabi. But wetin our nigeria Army dey do 4 barrack? make our government bring dem join dis criminals POLICEMEN wey no fit defend demself. Go 2 the EAST or BENIN ORE road and see active and strong dis criminals POLICEMEN be in collecting money. May dem soul rest in anywhere wey GOD chose 4 dem.
How dare you write such ignoramous, d.u.m!b and s.t.u.p.i.d comment, must open your s.i.l.l.y mouth even when you don't have somehting reasonable to say. Can't you read where the report says 'they SUDDENLY double crossed the patrol team and started shooting at the policemen'.
For crying out loud these policemen are humanbeing like you, although they do go astray sometime but when a life is lost you should learn how to use your no6 ..... . .mstchewwww

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Ryabcool(m): 11:21am On Sep 10, 2012
deal_ordea: Those guys were yoruba guys!!! You need to see the way they were shouting( ewa gba chocolate).. Nobi film trick
LMAO! Now this is funny

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 10, 2012
..... Was scared when I saw thousands of motorcyclists trailing emselves to Ikeja. Area F. NPF Station..... Wonder when the NPF will fully equipped to combat Armed Robbers and take. Control of the situations.

What about the number plates of the vehicles dey used, wasn't that of any help to assist investigations, or any eye witness report. Our dear Lagos is becoming insecure every day, now we are close to the end of another year, and will anywhere be safe to go?

Our Governor has really done a lot, but Lagosians are stil pleading, crime must reduce to 1% at all cost especially armed robbery.

A young girl and an aged woman just lost their lives on a day they were supposed to be safe in their homes, and even a motorcyclist and a bus driver? Wow! It's so sad.

Anyone who has valuable information to help any robbery investigation, please call the nearest NPF station, save a life.
Re: Gunmen Kill 3 Policemen, & Others In Lagos by bola4dprec(m): 11:25am On Sep 10, 2012
kingsceemark: Hmmmm, three policemen? Dem dey sleep wen dat happen? What A shame. if na 2 kill becos of #20 dem go sabi. But wetin our nigeria Army dey do 4 barrack? make our government bring dem join dis criminals POLICEMEN wey no fit defend demself. Go 2 the EAST or BENIN ORE road and see how active and strong dis criminals POLICEMEN be in collecting money. May dem soul rest in anywhere wey GOD chose 4 dem.
Death ends a life, not a relationship. Why dont you pray for the deceased person ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charles Okah Prison Letters. / Buhari Currently Meeting APC Governors / Lagos Transport Plans Stand, Oluomo Not Involved — REC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.