Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Obama For President? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama For President? (20029 Views)

Poll: Would you vote for him if you could?

Yes: 75% (109 votes)
No: 24% (35 votes)
This poll has ended

Alert: Isis Posts Photos Thanking Obama For What They Just Got From Him [photos] / Republicans Criticize Obama For Going On Vacation (Pictures) / Everibody Done Turn To Obama For Nairaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama For President? by seabiotics(m): 5:17pm On Jan 08, 2008
The race is on to elect the next president of the United States of America. On show today in New Hampshire, voters, mainly independents, are going to decide who wins the primary presidential nomination for either the Democrat and the Republican.

Recent polls indicate Obama and McCann are surging ahead in New Hampshire. However, I am more interested in Obama. If he wins the primary ticket for the Democrats, he is on course to becoming the first African-American to do so.

Obama (yeah, girls, the bobo is foinne, but stop drolling, he's married grin)oozes charm, finesse and a great vision for America (I particularly endorsed his plans for climate change and health care). He is young, untested, but that is what the Americans love about him. They see him as the person most likely to effect to change in American polity. Some Democrats also see him as providing a strong challenge for the Republican's than Hilary Clinton ever could.

Born of a Kenyan Father and White Mother, do you think he stands a chance of being the first African-American president? Would he have even had a glimmer of a hope if his name was Aderoyeje Obalola. With hindsight, my guy would probably have changed it to Roy King.
Re: Obama For President? by chikeze(m): 6:22pm On Jan 08, 2008
He is a strong candidate with a voice that people will not only listen to but actually people will HEAR him.

Re: Obama For President? by yicob(m): 6:30pm On Jan 08, 2008
hes gonna win
Re: Obama For President? by mazaje(m): 6:52pm On Jan 08, 2008
The Audacity of HOPE!!!!!
Re: Obama For President? by JeSoul(f): 6:53pm On Jan 08, 2008
seabiotics:

Obama (yeah, girls, the bobo is foinne, but stop drolling, he's married  grin)oozes charm, finesse and a great vision for America (I particularly endorsed his plans for climate change and health care). He is young, untested, but that is what the Americans love about him. They see him as the person most likely to effect to change in American polity. Some Democrats also see him as providing a strong challenge for the Republican's than Hilary Clinton ever could.

people keep saying hes "foinne" but sorry I just don't see it undecided. My attraction level to him is less than zero which includes politically as well.
I dunno if no/little experience is necessarily better or more favorable than someone who's well established in politics. Case in point, I live in Massachusetts, know who else in our recent history was also young, untested, charming, 'handsome', democrat, african-american, from a poor background (and so supposedly knew the plight of & could relate to the avergage american) and was supposed to unite everyone?
Deval Patrick - current governor of massachusetts.
And right now he has failed miserably. He has to be the sadest excuse for a governor in mass history. What was his first major action when he got into office? bought $20,000 drapes/curtains and a brand new 2007 Cadillac along with other frivolous purchases - with TAXPAYER MONEY!

So sorry I'm not riding the Obama train. It makes no difference to me if we elect a black, blue or pink person for president, I just want someone who knows that they're doing and sticks to their campaign promises. and ESPECIALLY NOT RAISE TAXES.
  Obama is going to give tax cuts to the "middle class" and poor but raise everyone elses, the middle class is defined as on his website as those making "less than $50,000 a year". I'm not in that category so all I have to look forward to are higher taxes right? angry becos I happen to make more money than most people living in America? that's not fair becos I worked hard for what I have.

however it is looking very likely he'll win the democrat nomination - but I think a Rep will win the presidency.
Re: Obama For President? by merge(f): 7:56pm On Jan 08, 2008
If the Clinton does not win Obama is not going to win the election, but Mcain will win in the end.
Re: Obama For President? by Spice4luv(f): 9:19pm On Jan 08, 2008
My prayer goes to Obama. God pls. help him and keep his enemies very busy doing nothing all thru his rule. Amen
Re: Obama For President? by eldee(m): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2008
I live in the UK but from my own point of view, Obama is not really the right person when it comes to diplomatic missions especially the patnership with the UK. It will be extremely hard for him to acertain his opinion on the international stage not only because he's coloured but also because he's green(inexperienced). This same problem happened to Tony Blair when he became George Bush's poodle.

Despite all these, he has a great chance of winning with Oprah's vote with him and his clean slate.
Re: Obama For President? by quinofhart(f): 9:55pm On Jan 08, 2008
why do people want Obama? is it because he is black? if so then as a black person, if i were American i would not vote for him. Firstly his stance on foreign policy is lacking alot. The way he proposes to shake up the health system is not very good. lastly there is something about him that screams at my instincts and it is screaming no no no He is not the right man.
Nothing wrong with a Black president, but he must be the right candidate.

He won't win, he will go a distance but not far. All the candidates scare me, as America are a self proclaimed world peace keeper. All their proposals for climate change, the war in Iraq do not sound convincing enough. They might as well leave Bush there, caus ethey all skirt around the real issues and use clever political jargons to escape real answers
Re: Obama For President? by TheSly: 10:02pm On Jan 08, 2008

My prayer goes to Obama. God please. help him and keep his enemies very busy doing nothing all through his rule.

Amen! amen!! amen!!! cool cool cool
Re: Obama For President? by Horus(m): 10:18pm On Jan 08, 2008
If the Democrats want to WIN the White House, they would rally around Barack Obama as the nominee. Hillary Clinton is a sure loser and she has a significant number of people who cannot stand her.
Barack Obama himself has never played the race card. He's not campaigning as the first black president, he's campaigning as a democrat who's not an insider and hasn't been embroiled in sleazy Washington politics and doesn't owe his soul to it. He has some fresh ideas, he comes across as someone who genuinely believes what he says.Barack Obama is clean.I think we can trust that Barack Obama will do a fine job as the next President of the United States.
Re: Obama For President? by bawomol(m): 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2008
what makes u guys think he is going to win in the southern states. big tuesday is still coming up. there's a slim hope for hillary clinton
Re: Obama For President? by Horus(m): 10:46pm On Jan 08, 2008
there's a slim hope for hillary clinton
Yes slim,and just wait fews hours for the result of New Hamshire,Hilary Clinton will cry with tears.
We have a record of Hillary Clinton's accomplishments, and none of it promises a change for the better. She has gone from being a greedy corporate lawyer to the wife of a governer/president, to senator. Much of it by exploiting her marriage to Bill for which she has paid by putting up with marital infidelities that would have caused a divorce for any self-respecting woman who cared about her dignity before her career.
Re: Obama For President? by BigB11(m): 11:00pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama,  one of my favorite Americans. I wish him the best, but I still find it very difficult to believe that white Americans will allow him to be the next United States president on this planet.
And please, do not misunderstand me, my man (Obama) has it all and very much capable of making it happen, but it will be a mighty miracle.

I've also been asked several times that how come African Americans are very hesitant to accept or stand up and support this man (Obama).
What makes Obama special and different from Al Shapton, who also happened to run for the last presidential election?
Many African Americans also did not give Shapton full support he deserved.
If Shapton didn't command enough black support, why do you think Obama deserves or in a position to get more support from African Americans?

My answer:
Honestly, African Americans do not have much direct connection with OBAMA:
1. Obama's mother was a white American
2. Obama's father was a pure African
3. Obama doesn't have slave blood
4. Obama was raised in Hawaii, which has less than .2 percent African Americans.
5. and finally, apart from folks from Chicago, it is very difficult for other folks to identify 5 major things Obama has done for African Americans through out United States.

Shapton, on the other hand has done so much and one has to be severely retarded not to recognise Shapton's positive impact in African Americans' society today; infact, many (white Americans) despise Shapton today not because of anything, but because of his incompressible support for blacks and his selfless/vigorous fight for human rights in United States.

Hence, I do not blame African Americans for taking their time to show their love for Obama; but I'm sure that sooner or later, they will come around to positively elevate this man to the top.

Let's hope for the best!
Re: Obama For President? by kokoA(m): 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama is a good candidate. That does'nt give him automatic victory though. Well, I really do not care who wins or not, I am more bodered about my own country Nigeria now.
Re: Obama For President? by buluti(m): 11:05pm On Jan 08, 2008
@ Jesoul, am sorry but your analysis is so warped.

First, if you believe in experience thats good but making a conclusion based on the action of 1 governor is such a fallacy definately hasty generalization. Whats the comparison you use African American, untested and unexperienced, from a poor background etc.

So becos Deval Patrick missed the mark every other young African American in that category will miss it compared to saying every Nigerian is a thief or a 419.

I dont live in America but the Obama train is that of hope, hearing his speech i can feel it, if i were in America i would definately volunteer, he has the ability to inspire people, thats why its the young thats picking the message quickly, America needs to change its stance on a lot of issues and OBAMA is the only voice close to what is required.
Re: Obama For President? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 08, 2008
JeSoul is only saying the same thing so many blacks said when Obama started campaigning. Centuries of slavery and only seeing white men in power has conditioned them to suspecting any black person seeking power.

Deval Patrick failed . . . so we should expect Obama to fail too?

know who else in our recent history was also young, untested, charming, 'handsome', democrat, from a poor background (and so supposedly knew the plight of & could relate to the avergage american) and was supposed to unite everyone?

hmmm i know of a certain Bill Clinton too . . . ooops he was white i forgot.
Re: Obama For President? by BigB11(m): 11:14pm On Jan 08, 2008
what makes u guys think he is going to win in the southern states

FYI:
If a black man has a chance atall to be United States president, my friend, this is the time.
At this point, Americans don't give a damn about who is running; they are desperate, they are losing their houses, food price is sky high, gas price is very painful, heating oil price is deadly and unemployment rate continues to increase.

If your strategy is attractive and feasible, they will buy what you're cooking.
It will be a miracle, but I think Obama has a decent chance.
Re: Obama For President? by kelvin(m): 11:16pm On Jan 08, 2008
Obama might be a good candidate, but he is definitely going to meet some serious opposition.
Re: Obama For President? by kokoA(m): 11:20pm On Jan 08, 2008
Big B1:

FYI:
If a black man has a chance atall to be United States president, my friend, this is the time.
At this point, Americans don't give a damn about who is running; they are desperate, they are losing their houses, food price is sky high, gas price is very painful, heating oil price is deadly and unemployment rate continues to increase.

@Big B1

How you take sabi all these things? Ajegunle don turn U.S.A? lol. Anyway I completely agree with you.
Re: Obama For President? by BigB11(m): 11:26pm On Jan 08, 2008
How you take sabi all these things? Ajegunle don turn USA? lol. Anyway I completely agree with you.

Oh yes, I know, my man.
We even use cooling oil for AC over here in Ajegunle and it isn't easy. grin
Re: Obama For President? by kokoA(m): 11:35pm On Jan 08, 2008
Big B1:

Oh yes, I know, my man.
We even use cooling oil for AC over here in Ajegunle and it isn't easy. grin

grin na wah o. People begin huzzle for Ajegunle visa now o, before it is too late. grin
Re: Obama For President? by mazaje(m): 11:58pm On Jan 08, 2008
Big B1:

FYI:

Well said BigB1, When will people get this, Barack Obama has changed the way people view politics in America, people are  turning out in great numbers to vote just because of him  so many first time voters who would have stayed at home are not participating because of him, unprecedented voter turn outs are being recorded(shortage of ballot papers are being recorded in some parts of New Hamshire), he has been able to excite people like no one in recent history, even republican Mike Huckbee said so, he also added that all of them (Presedential Hopefulls) should give him that credit, Obama's message of change resonates with the american people and they want an end to all the division and bickering in washington, they want to have affordable health care, pay less for colleage, keep their houses not loose them to foreclosures, Retire honarable and with dignity, and they also want an end to the war in Iraq.

Americans want some one that will work with the congress to get things done for the people not someone who is extreamly partisan and someone who is a polarising figure. They have seen those good qualities in Obama and are coming out in very large numbers to vote for him regardless of his skin colour. Obama is an American running for president who happens to be a black man not a black man running for persident. His mesage is simple, stay positive and always remember that there is not a Blue America, Red America, Black America, White America but The United States of America. The Audacity of hope The great man Barack Obama.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 12:17am On Jan 09, 2008
Obama is the master of vacuities.He keeps on talking about hope,hope of what? There is very little substance to his campaign,most people who support him don't know what he stands for.

His lack of political experience is touted as a bonus. . . . . . .since when was inexperience a positive attribute?

I thought what epitomised Obama was this,4 years ago,he claimed there was no difference between his position on Iraq and that of Bush(that was when the Iraq war was more popular and Obama was jocekying for national recognition)this was a reversal of his prior position in the state legislature,he even put this new Iraq position up on his website then.

Fastforward 3 years later and the speech on his website is gone replaced by ad nauseam recitation of his prescience on Iraq ,very few if any of his supporters know of his constantly "evolving" position on major issues.
Re: Obama For President? by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 09, 2008
I-man:

Obama is the master of vacuities.He keeps on talking about hope,hope of what? There is very little substance to his campaign,most people who support him don't know what he stands for.

Does anyone know what Hillary Clinton stands for besides the "vacous" experience she keeps touting?
Politics is not about straight talking and honesty . . . Bush would never have won the presidency if he based his campaign on "the war on terror".
Romney was busy this week denying that he accused Mccain of pushing through an amnesty bill on his campaign ad.

Flipflopping is the bread and butter of every politician. You cant single Obama out.
Re: Obama For President? by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Jan 09, 2008
I-man:

His lack of political experience is touted as a bonus. . . . . . .since when was inexperience a positive attribute?

I thought what epitomised Obama was this,4 years ago,he claimed there was no difference between his position on Iraq and that of Bush(that was when the Iraq war was more popular and Obama was jocekying for national recognition)this was a reversal of his prior position in the state legislature,he even put this new Iraq position up on his website then.

Fastforward 3 years later and the speech on his website is gone replaced by ad nauseam recitation of his prescience on Iraq ,very few if any of his supporters know of his constantly "evolving" position on major issues.

I was so hoping and waiting for someone to actually post that. LMAO!!! I bet 80% of those who support him do not know where he actually stands on critical issues. I don't , Lmao!!!
Re: Obama For President? by McKren(m): 12:26am On Jan 09, 2008
Most of those who change the world dont spend so much time learning the status quo, whether it is in politics, science, business etc.
Reason: when you spend so long a time learning the status quo you become so enmeshed in the status quo that you will have difficulties changing your attitude let alone changing the world arround you.
Re: Obama For President? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:28am On Jan 09, 2008
I-man:

While you're there typing, Obama is obliterating Clinton's political machinery in New Hampshire.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 12:30am On Jan 09, 2008
Clinton has more substance to her campaign by a mile,compared to Obama.

She has more detailed positions on every major issue than Obama.Does anyone know what Obama means by hope? Change?

Even if Clinton is to some extent 'besetted' by vacuities,should one vacuous candidate be swapped for another?People like Edwards and Richardson have more fully thought through policy proposals than Clinton and Obama.Problem is,people prefer razzmatazz to the nitty gritty of policy making.Better to mount the podium mouthing empty slogans about "change" and "hope" than give detailed proposals about how such lofty ideals can be attained.
Re: Obama For President? by McKren(m): 12:38am On Jan 09, 2008
leadership is not about knowing all the policies in the world, policies and ideas can be bought by assembling the best brains in the country.

leadership has more to do with having a good and large heart, and ability to affect people and carry them along. and that is priceless as it can not be bought.

charm also plays an important role in present day politics

Gordon Brown has been an architect of everything that happened in Britain in the last 10years under Blair. But when blair hands over to brown, the british people begin to feel their is lack of leadership even when brown has the economy in his palm.

Reason: Brown unlike Blair, lacks the x-factor.
Re: Obama For President? by Iman3(m): 12:44am On Jan 09, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I was so hoping and waiting for someone to actually post that. LMAO!!! I bet 80% of those who support him do not know where he actually stands on critical issues. I don't , Lmao!!!

There is a brilliant writer,David Aaronovitch,that put it succintly,Obama is everything and nothing.You can project any perception unto Obama!

Of all the vacuities he spouts,I loved this one in particular,   “I will end the war in Iraq,I will finish the fight against al-Qaeda".  grin You have to love that!He can as well summarise that into,"I know Americans are a bit thick and superficial,this tactic worked for Bush in 00 and Reagan in 80 so I will try it one more time"

End the war in Iraq?How is he going to do that? At best,he can end US prescence in Iraq,but he doesn't even promise a full withdrawal!So how is he going to stop Sunni/Shia bloodshed?Hey,don't ask,just follow the crowd.He probably has some magic wand in his dapper suit.

How is he going to end the fight against al-Qaeda?Again,don't ask,better to insult people's intelligence by promising what he you can't deliver.Politicians as a matter of pragmatism are prone to spin but Obama takes it to a whole new level
Re: Obama For President? by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Jan 09, 2008
McKren:

leadership is not about knowing all the policies in the world, policies and ideas can be bought by assembling the best brains in the country.

leadership has more to do with having a good and large heart, and ability to affect people and carry them along. and that is priceless as it can not be bought.

But Mckren, at the end of the day all that you are giving us here is sweet nothings and I mean nothings cause when it comes time to deal with the real world, you have to have a plan in place. To run a business you need a plan and educating people on what this plan actually is and how you intend to go about implementing it will help ensure your place in the business/political world. Many still do not know what he means when he throws around the world Change. It is all sounds good now but how far will it take him??

So far, he has come up with ideas that have over and over been shot down by his opponents during past debates. Where does he stand Now is what we want to know?? On critical issues, where does he stand?? What is his plan for the next 4 years considering issues such as iraq, isreal, korea, healthcare, the divide in the country and the house,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Netanyahu Rejects US Calls For Palestinian State After Gaza War / Ecuador Police Arrest Gunmen For Invading TV Studio / 5 Things That Determined Liz Truss’ Fate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.