Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names (16100 Views)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by century106: 1:04am On Sep 13, 2012
ijaw citizen: Igbo people should pls keep Bonny out of this. The ancerstral name of the town is Okolo-ama named after the abundance of a particular coastal bird in the town, and thats the name the natives & neighbouring Ijaws still refer it to. Thanks for ur concern, but non required. Shalom!

Who is trying to claim Bonny? Calm down mister! The dude just pointed out that the name 'Bonny' was coined from the christened name 'ubani' which was the name the Igbo traders gave the place and there is no debate about the ancestral name of the place being 'okolo ama'... From your interpretation of what 'okolo ama' means, it still have atom of the Igbo language in it; 'ama okoko = the gathering place of a particular costal birds'. Shikenah
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by dnawah(m): 7:53am On Sep 13, 2012
I beg make them leave everythin lik that .me want travel out.if i dey come back the plane go fit locate where to land.(if PH is Changed plane go come d find am so tee carry me go Cameroon)i no gree o!
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ChinenyeN(m): 9:40am On Sep 13, 2012
saintobi1: Firstly thanks to MOD for behaving properly nowadays (i attribute it to the ban-if-you-wish-revolution which is a continuous success). Such threads in the past suffered in the background

nssukka:it was originally called nri-ka i.e nri-nke-ka (greater nri). But a stronger hamlet took over,and its culture and language expanded and it was renamed nsu-ka i.e asusu-nke-ka (greater language).
Bonny - ubani (wealth of ani) was the original name. The early europeans probably asked about the name and when they were told, thought that it sounded like bonny which means 'good'.
Lagos is a portugeese name. Even some locations in the present day portugal goes by that name. The early explorers gave it that name and transcribed it on their maps which the later explorers consulted.
Onitsha - aniocha i.e ani-ocha (bright land? ,white land?)
umuahia - oma ahia . Oma is square, ahia is a noisy bird, an equivalent of sparrows

later

Stop. Don't make stuff up and think you can get away with it.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 9:51am On Sep 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Stop. Don't make stuff up and think you can get away with it.
explain how he made stuff up. Give your own explanation and stop countering other people's view.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ChinenyeN(m): 10:18am On Sep 13, 2012
Antivirus92: explain how he made stuff up. Give your own explanation and stop countering other people's view.
1. Southern groups don't make contractions with ani, but instead use ala or ali
2. If the name were to be "wealth of the land" as saintobi1 is erroneously suggesting, then we should be reading Ubala or Ubali not Ubani.
3. Wealth is pronounced uba, unlike the "uba" in Ubani, which is pronounced ubha.
4. Finally, Tone: the tone structure of Ubani is Ùbhanì and not Ùbaànì (wealth of ani).

To be fair, I don't blame saintobi1. It is likely he got his misinformation from another source, since I've seen this misguided Igbo attempt at interpretation elsewhere before.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 10:27am On Sep 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:
1. Southern groups don't make contractions with ani, but instead use ala or ali
2. If the name were to be "wealth of the land" as saintobi1 is erroneously suggesting, then we should be reading Ubala or Ubali not Ubani.
3. Wealth is pronounced uba, unlike the "uba" in Ubani, which is pronounced ubha.
4. Finally, Tone: the tone structure of Ubani is Ùbhanì and not Ùbaànì (wealth of ani).

Saintobi1 doesn't know Bonny.
have you been to bony before to know how their language sounds? Again saintobi maybe right because what we are discussing here is the names(indigenous) that have been changed by whites so that they can pronounce it. BUT ANYWAY THERE IS ALOT OF SENSE IN UR EXPLANATION.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 10:29am On Sep 13, 2012
Viewing this topic: chinenyeN(m)
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Ngodigha1(m): 12:50pm On Sep 15, 2012
chrisxxx: How come Ibos are always looking for territories to annex? Na by force to be Ibo?
{The Ikwerres are not Ibos}1000x
We agree we may have same ancestry but it does not make us Ibo just as it does not make Ibo Ikwerre.
You may have the population and for this particular reason of fear of dominating them led to indifference and seeming betrayer during the war.
Dude are you really a fool in real life or is it just in nairaland that you enjoy displaying stupidity. What has the nonsense you wrote above got to do with the thread topic. Get a life, idiott.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Crayola1: 4:52am On Sep 16, 2012
I don't know if it should be a big priority now or if people will agree with the revisions but its not strange for countries to do this:

One of India's largest cities Mumbai was reverted from its British corruption Bombay in the 90's
Peking in China back to Beijing

Sometime countries keep the names or spellings because its well known/established or pronunciation issues,

To me Anambra and Enugu are fine, they may not be the traditional spellings but they are not corruptions per se. But places like Port Harcourt, which is named after a shady individual could stand to look for other names (if they so choose).

To me preserving local heritage/use of local languages/and adaptation of ancient architecture would time better spent.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by tutypad: 3:22am On Sep 29, 2012
tongue
chrisxxx: How come Ibos are always looking for territories to annex? Na by force to be Ibo?
We agree we may have same ancestry but it does not make us Ibo just as it does not make Ibo Ikwerre.
You may have the population and for this particular reason of fear of dominating them led to indifference and seeming betrayer during the war.
cheesy
.....on your marks, goooooo! you cann't run away from your shadow. whether you agree (Ikwere) or (Ikwehi) disagree. Its in your name! how can you deny the existence of your father Ibo man. Go and ask your mother the real name of your biological father dear! Its not a matter of annexation so, come of it. Else, where did you come from? the son that causes shame?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 07, 2015
ijawcitizen:
Igbo people should pls keep Bonny out of this. The ancerstral name of the town is Okolo-ama named after the abundance of a particular coastal bird in the town, and thats the name the natives & neighbouring Ijaws still refer it to. Thanks for ur concern, but non required. Shalom!

TonyeBarcanista - Okolo-ama is pure 100% igbo language.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:06am On Dec 07, 2015
chuna1985:
TonyeBarcanista - Okolo-ama is pure 100% igbo language.

Stop talking about what you don't know.

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 07, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Stop talking about what you don't know.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

U have more accounts than I thought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Easy Ways To Attract Positive Things To Yourself Amid Harsh Condition Of Nigeria / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.