Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,385 members, 7,819,394 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names (16102 Views)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by frankcimc(m): 12:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
@Op I would even suggest make we change some names based on the meaning, Imo State I know got some scary LG name like 'Ndiogbumadu' meaning ppl wey sabi kill ppl, 'Isiekenesi' meaning six python head, 'Arondizogu' Agara...just to mention a few....

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by saintobi1: 12:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
Firstly thanks to MOD for behaving properly nowadays (i attribute it to the ban-if-you-wish-revolution which is a continuous success). Such threads in the past suffered in the background

nssukka:it was originally called nri-ka i.e nri-nke-ka (greater nri). But a stronger hamlet took over,and its culture and language expanded and it was renamed nsu-ka i.e asusu-nke-ka (greater language).
Bonny - ubani (wealth of ani) was the original name. The early europeans probably asked about the name and when they were told, thought that it sounded like bonny which means 'good'.
Lagos is a portugeese name. Even some locations in the present day portugal goes by that name. The early explorers gave it that name and transcribed it on their maps which the later explorers consulted.
Onitsha - aniocha i.e ani-ocha (bright land? ,white land?)
umuahia - oma ahia . Oma is square, ahia is a noisy bird, an equivalent of sparrows

later

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 12:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
FRONT PAGE ANALYSIS ON-GOING FOR THIS THREAD...
G4 SQUAD STAND BY & BE ON THE ALERT...
IN CASE OUR LITMUS PAPER TURNS RED...
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
So what will Seun change Nairaland to cos Naira might be an european name! undecided
Btw what's the meaning of naira and kobo?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by jude33084(m): 12:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
Benin City - Benin or Ubinu. It's only 100 years ago guys!

You are ∂ real slowpoke Yorubas believe Ŧħåϯ Benin is from Ife? cheesy

Τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ whites gave it Benin city from Bight of Benin ßŮϯ due Ť☺ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Yoruba tongue, τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥y could not pronounce τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ word ΆŋԂ so called it Ubinu. Tribal bunch of,... lipsrsealed
cheesy
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by y2kaustin(m): 12:21pm On Sep 11, 2012
How about "Biafra"?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by misreal(m): 12:26pm On Sep 11, 2012
seedord247: Forgive me lord for clicking on this thread. shocked
my brother na wa oh
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by blumail: 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2012
The Igbo aspect stems from a sense of inferiority complex afflicting the average Igbo man, they don't see the need to 'maintain' their culture of which language, names & their meanings are integral aspects of. The names of these places were mispelt long time ago, they didn't deem it fit to restore them back to their true form then & they still do not see the reason even now.....

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by chrisxxx(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2012
How come Ibos are always looking for territories to annex? Na by force to be Ibo?
{The Ikwerres are not Ibos}1000x
We agree we may have same ancestry but it does not make us Ibo just as it does not make Ibo Ikwerre.
You may have the population and for this particular reason of fear of dominating them led to indifference and seeming betrayer during the war.

3 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Moukafoam(f): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
Eko ΆŋԂ Asaba got their Ɲαмe from τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Old Benin Empire cool

Ask Obi of Agbo, Iyase of Asaba ΆŋԂ Oba of Lagos or Research ♈☺uЯ history! undecided

Imo State I know got some scary LG name like 'Ndiogbumadu' meaning ppl wey sabi kill ppl, 'Isiekenesi' meaning six python head, 'Arondizogu' Agara...just to mention a few...
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Dotman01(m): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
gegee: useless repeated thread. and now i must join the garri army to ask the very important question ........ wat has this useless thread got to do with the price of the nigerian staple. angry
were u forced to eat it? U dey prison?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by gegee(m): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
Dotman01: were u forced to eat it? U dey prison?

bros which 1 u dey i no understand u o
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Clemzy16(m): 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
@op i know You.ve got some point in your write-up. Considering the fact that "Benin" was derived from the word "ile-binu" which means home of annoyance in yoruba. The name was given by the son of oduwawa, who was the then ruler of Benin kingdom. But i really don't think there's any need for a change. That's gonna mess everything up. Afterall, some of those names sounds kinda cool. Let's just learn to live with it.

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Dotman01(m): 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
gegee:

bros which 1 u dey i no understand u o
no mind me jare. . . Just dey enjoy ur beans go
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Dotman01(m): 12:52pm On Sep 11, 2012
@op . . Rivers and cross river too
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by 1shortblackboy: 12:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
saintobi1: Firstly thanks to MOD for behaving properly nowadays (i attribute it to the ban-if-you-wish-revolution which is a continuous success). Such threads in the past suffered in the background

nssukka:it was originally called nri-ka i.e nri-nke-ka (greater nri). But a stronger hamlet took over,and its culture and language expanded and it was renamed nsu-ka i.e asusu-nke-ka (greater language).
Bonny - ubani (wealth of ani) was the original name. The early europeans probably asked about the name and when they were told, thought that it sounded like bonny which means 'good'.
Lagos is a portugeese name. Even some locations in the present day portugal goes by that name. The early explorers gave it that name and transcribed it on their maps which the later explorers consulted.
umuahia - oma ahia . Oma is square, ahia is a noisy bird, an equivalent of sparrows

later
where did u get ur ubani story from ? bonny was originally called okoloama
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by texazzpete(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
Much ado about nothing, compiled by a jobless fellow.

So apparently it is not cool for Nigerian cities to bear names that were given by the colonial masters, yet the OP writes his objection in English, a language passed down to him by the British...and he does not see the irony!!

If the OP does not have work to do, let him break Egusi!

2 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by saintobi1: 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
1 shortblackboy: where did u get ur ubani story from ? bonny was originally called okoloama
i agree with you but the eastern traders that did biz with the natives called it ubani
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Redhot111(m): 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Benin City to just Benin. Owere being spelt Owerri not only makes no sense since people pronounce it as Owere, but ignores the changes in orthography since 100 years ago.
so na d "city" wey follow my town, na im dey pain u? I suggest u change ur name 1st, wen can den call 4 a sovereign national conference since it pains u dat much

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
saintobi1: Firstly thanks to MOD for behaving properly nowadays (i attribute it to the ban-if-you-wish-revolution which is a continuous success). Such threads in the past suffered in the background

later
GBAM !!
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by kariolality: 1:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
How would changing the name of a city improve the well-being of the people...mtcheew
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by frankcimc(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
Much ado about nothing, compiled by a jobless fellow.

So apparently it is not cool for Nigerian cities to bear names that were given by the colonial masters, yet the OP writes his objection in English, a language passed down to him by the British...and he does not see the irony!!

If the OP does not have work to do, let him break Egusi!
Hahahah Guy you bad oo break Egwusi indeed. Op is just having fun I suppose.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by hardbody: 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
odumchi:

He's referring to having them changed to their Igbo spellings. In the Igbo language, for the most part, things are spelled exactly the way they sound. For example, Owerri would be 'Owere' and Nsukka would be 'Nsuka'.

Ezeagu, I think there's a need for change also, but that would definitely require a large amount of resources.

Here are some more places that need to be changed:

Enugu to 'Enugwu'
Igbanke to 'Igbo-Akiri'
Igbuzor to 'Igbo-Uzọ'
Anambra to 'Ọmambala'
Orlu to 'Ọlu'
Ogwashi Uku to 'Ọgwashi Ukwu'
And possibly Arochukwu to 'Aruchukwu'

I probably would not join issues on these desired name changes, but for the mention of Okigbo. I do not see where the need for the change in Arochukwu is coming from, do you have a firm basis for the historical antecedents? you may wish to read a little more of the origin and the adaptation of the name. Just my views.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by sluvy4tune(m): 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
TOTO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA

i wonder why will people choose such a name for a LGA or is dia any better explaination for it ?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by 1shortblackboy: 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
saintobi1:
i agree with you but the eastern traders that did biz with the natives called it ubani
so u will prefer it to be called the name the ibos used to refer to the town so that they will start claiming bonny island as their own abi
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by hardbody: 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2012

I thought Lagos was a name derived from L Eko, a manner of speaking by the older generations when they would say something like i am going to, or it happened at Eko. The portuguese, to make life easier for themselves, simply put those together as started taking about Lagos, a variation of Leko....I may be wrong, blame history not moi

later
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by rhymz(m): 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2012
Nice thread
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 1:25pm On Sep 11, 2012
Alot of work to be done! Let's not blame the whites now,we are now the architect of own problems especially ndiigbo. Nwogu is now wogu,arochukwu is now arochuku,chukwu is now chuku,igbo is now ibo,okonkwo is now okonkwor,ofo is now ofor/ofoh etc. The day somebody will dare call me ikechuku,that day i give the person a befitting death
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ijawcitizen(m): 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2012
Igbo people should pls keep Bonny out of this. The ancerstral name of the town is Okolo-ama named after the abundance of a particular coastal bird in the town, and thats the name the natives & neighbouring Ijaws still refer it to. Thanks for ur concern, but non required. Shalom!
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by bokohalal(m): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
Benin City to Benin Metropolis.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by sexyverah(f): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
i came i saw i hissed i passed angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Easy Ways To Attract Positive Things To Yourself Amid Harsh Condition Of Nigeria / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.