Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,538 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

10 Problems On How To Write CV - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Problems On How To Write CV (857 Views)

I Want To Write A Resignation Letter / Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Problems On How To Write CV by face9jajobs(m): 10:54am On Sep 11, 2012
looking for a way to write your curriculum vitae?
for a culled video download on how to right cv download(visit my signature)
Writing your CV can present awkward problems if you have changed jobs frequently, don’t have much work experience or are returning to work after a career break. Here are ten ways you can make your CV more compelling in spite of these problem areas.

1. ‘I don’t have a degree’

If you don’t have a degree concentrate on what you do have and emphasize your practical skills and experience. Job seekers without degrees often assume that their lack of formal education will mean limited career choices. In many cases experience far supersedes qualifications. If you are applying for a role that requires a degree, write a cover letter to explain why your experiences should be considered as an alternative.
thanks

2. ‘I don’t have many formal qualifications’

If you have limited qualifications or poor exam results focus either on your skills, if you are entry level or work experience, if you have a career history. A functional CV will highlight relevant and transferable skills you’ve developed which are more relevant than GCSE or A Level results.

3. ‘I’ve had a large number of previous employers’

Too many jobs on a CV often puts employers off, so if you've changed jobs over a short space of time, a functional CV highlighting your skills and expertise may get you through the door. Focus attention on the skills you’ve achieved through your experience and only give details of your most recent and relevant positions.

4. ‘I’ve had gaps between jobs’

Many people have gaps in their work history. If you have a legitimate reason for major gaps e.g. going to school or having a child, you can simply state this on your CV. Minor gaps such as being out of work for several months, don’t need an explanation. If you refer to the years you were employed then any gap of several months is not apparent at all. If the gaps include voluntary work or relevant experience e.g. travel then put these down as part of your skills, qualifications and achievements. If you have been out of work for a while, you might want to create a functional CV so those gaps aren't as noticeable. Once you get an employer interested in you, you can explain any reasons for short breaks at interview stage.

5. ‘I’ve been fired/made redundant from my job’

You do not need to include this information in your CV or cover letter but tell the truth if asked in an interview. Remain objective and never bad mouth previous employers. You do not need to put reasons for leaving a job on a CV or cover letter but it may help explain a short period of unemployment or gap in your employment history.

6. ‘My CV is too long’

Your recent skills and achievements are far more important to an employer than the jobs you did years ago. Highlight the skills and experience which are most relevant to the job you are applying for and summarize everything else.

7. ‘I’m applying for different jobs’

You should create multiple different versions of your CV to reflect different types of positions. This indicates that you have a dedicated interest in finding the right position. Take the time to prepare a CV specifically for a vacancy, using the skills and qualities listed in the job description and match your own qualifications and experience closely with the employer’s needs.

8. ‘I’ve just left university’

It’s very rare for an employer to find someone who can do the job from day one. They are looking for transferable skills such as attention to detail, communication skills and managing people and budgets. Focus on identifying these and show how you have demonstrated them at school, university or through internships. Include a personal profile to give a clear picture of your main strengths, while emphasizing the direction you hope your career will take.

9. ‘I’m changing careers’

A career change does require some justification on your part, so that it makes sense to an employer. You could include a career objective at the start of your CV to make your new direction clear and pick out the skills and achievements that are most relevant to your new career. Or you could highlight your new career objectives in your cover letter. Do some work experience or job shadowing as it shows employers that you are committed and serious about a change.

10. ‘I’m over-qualified for the job I want’

A prospective employer will question why you are applying for the job and may need convincing to invite you for an interview. Explain in your cover letter why you should be considered for the role and be prepared to explain, in the interview, why you do want this particular job and how your wealth of experience is a positive and not a negative.

In Conclusion

You need to think about which CV format highlights your strengths. If you are a solid candidate, with a strong academic background and a consistent career history, then a chronological CV will work better for you. If you don’t have a strong academic record or you have had gaps in your career history the functional CV format will suit you best as it will highlight your skills rather than your experience.
to download the video culled on how to write CV visit my signature link

1 Like

Re: 10 Problems On How To Write CV by Stronger99: 3:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
In naija it's not abt d best cv's. That is not to say a good cv isn't appropriate.
Re: 10 Problems On How To Write CV by face9jajobs(m): 7:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
Stronger99: In naija it's not abt d best cv's. That is not to say a good cv isn't appropriate.
You think?

(1) (Reply)

Planning A Career In Information Technology? / I Was Called To Get CFA Member / How To Deal With A Bullying Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.