Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:15 AM

How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? (242556 Views)

Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola. / I Want To Write A Resignation Letter / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by breezey: 5:11pm On Mar 14, 2011
can someone pls help me with letter for request for leave to write exam thanks
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by SisiKill1: 6:05pm On Mar 14, 2011
The kinda letter you write depends on some factors like . . .

1) Have you already discussed this with your boss and the letter is just a formality or is the letter gonna be the first time your boss knows about your request?

2) How long will you be gone? If it's more than a day. . .
       - Who is gonna take over your responsibilities while you are gone?
       - Are you gonna make yourself available (via phone or email) to that person?

3) Is this an unpaid leave of absence?

Anyhoo, this is a very generic sample

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I would like to request a leave of absence from work on [insert date] to take a very important exam. I will return to work on [insert date]
Please let me know if I can provide any further information or if you have any questions.
Thank you very much for your consideration in providing me with this opportunity for personal leave.
Sincerely,
Your Name

Wait. . . Are you in Nigeria? If you are then thats a different ball game entirely.

The letter should go something like this. . .

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I want to use your father's head to beg you for a leave of absence from work in order to take an exam. I will return to work [insert date] and I will make sure i worker harder than a donkey to make up for the missed day.

Attached are copies of my receipt, the venue, time and the invigilator's name, address and phone. . . evidence that I am truly taking an exam and not trying to play hooky. If you need anything else like my right arm, I'm more than ready to provide it. . .anything to show how much I need this leave of absence.

May God/Allah bless you and your family as you consider my request.

Than you sir. May you continue to go forward and upwards in all your endeavors.

God Bless
Your name

PS
I wrote this letter on my knees

NB
The second letter was written tongue in cheek oh. . .please don't use it. cheesy

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by breezey: 12:56pm On Mar 15, 2011
thanks this will do smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Jomiliny(m): 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
This is cool. I love it

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by sweetchoco: 12:20pm On Jan 03, 2013
The best leave letter ever for Nigerians is the second one. Thumbs up grin[color=#000099][/color]

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by PaulJohn1: 12:44pm On Jan 03, 2013
what part of nigeria is the second type of letter accepted? very amusing grin grin

Can't imagine» I want to use your father's head to beg... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 17, 2017
You dont write a letter for taking your exam. After you applied or you got the job, you were suppose to have informed them about your studies. There is what is called study leave and any employee is entitled to that.

Yours is to inform your superior a week before so that if your responsibilities can not be negleted when you leave, they atleast reshuffle themsevels accordingly.

Freindly advise: Most people hide this info for they think taking leave will be concluded as being lazy. No. Tell athem and you are free. This actually means if your are working for a firm that has heavy operations, open 24hours or so, avoid taking unnecessary leave in preparation for this. No manger wants to be short "staffed"

One last thing.....the study leave form will be attached to your exam time table when you submit it to H.R.....always have it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Teedawg: 7:17am On Jun 17, 2017
the same way you wrote a job application just remove the job and insert leave tongue

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 17, 2017
#LifeOfAStudent
When ur pocket money comes on time, u eat chicken;
As the pocket money reduces, u eat products of chicken, (Eggs);
And, subsequently, u begin to eat chicken's food, (Corn, Garri and Millet);
And finally, when pocket money is finished, u become chicken itself, spending ur time walking around, just looking for what to eat!"

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by AlphaT1(m): 7:29am On Jun 17, 2017
jagugu88li:
You dont write a letter for taking your exam. After you applied or you got the job, you were suppose to have informed them about your studies. There is what is called study leave and any employee is entitled to that.

Yours is to inform your superior a week before so that if your responsibilities can not be negleted when you leave, they atleast reshuffle themsevels accordingly.

You are wrong. There's Exam Leave (Casual leave) in the civil service gazette mostly applicable to part-time candidates. You may have a study leave for a weekend program (part-time) but exams may not only be on weekends, in which case you would need a casual leave of 1 to 7 days to go take your exams. You discuss it with your superior before writing, for speedy approval.
Be guided, pls.

3 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by doskie(m): 7:35am On Jun 17, 2017
SisiKill1:

1) Have you already discussed this with your boss and the letter is just a formality or is the letter gonna be the first time your boss knows about your request?

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I would like to request a leave of absence from work on [insert date] to take a very important exam. I will return to work on [insert date]
Please let me know if I can provide any further information or if you have any questions.
Thank you very much for your consideration in providing me with this opportunity for personal leave.
Sincerely,
Your Name

Wait. . . Are you in Nigeria? If you are then thats a different ball game entirely.

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I want to use your father's head to beg you for a leave of absence from work in order to take an exam. I will return to work [insert date] and I will make sure i worker harder than a donkey to make up for the missed day.

Attached are copies of my receipt, the venue, time and the invigilator's name, address and phone. . . evidence that I am truly taking an exam and not trying to play hooky. If you need anything else like my right arm, I'm more than ready to provide it. . .anything to show how much I need this leave of absence.

God Bless
Your name

PS

NB
The second letter was written tongue in cheek oh. . .please don't use it. cheesy
omo if i was the one that wrote this type of long joke and i didnt get up to 256 likes ehnn.......

hmmm....!. I'll be dissapointed in nairaland. i may even quit.

brothers and sisters, lets assist this brethren with our hard earned likes and bleeps please. show love. the turn up so far is too poor.

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by pressplay411(m): 7:39am On Jun 17, 2017
Your access to exam leave is predicated upon notice of study. As long as you've included it in your CV or notified your boss/HR via letter, It shouldn't be a problem.

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 17, 2017
AlphaT1:

You are wrong. There's Exam Leave (Casual leave) in the civil service gazette mostly applicable to part-time candidates. You may have a study leave for a weekend program (part-time) but exams may not only be on weekends, in which case you would need a casual leave of 1 to 7 days to go take your exams. You discuss it with your superior before writing, for speedy approval.
Be guided, pls.
I am 100% sure I am right. For example, its my first time hearing about casual leave, but I am familiar with Vacational leave, Family responsibility leave, study leave and outbound emergency leave. It is only outbound that one writes a letter for, for they only informed their superiors on the morning they were actually absent on. Even then, they write it on thier return. If "casual leave" applies to only exams, are you then not permitted to go for emergency classes?
Guide me again.

pressplay411:
Your access to exam leave is predicated upon notice of study. As long as you've included it in your CV or notified your boss/HR via letter, It shouldn't be a problem.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Daddybright1986(m): 8:03am On Jun 17, 2017
I was struggling with my biology practical when one slay queen asked, "please is earthworm a wild animal" Chai!!! Invigilators has fainted, security officer has fainted too, we are now fainting according to our matric number, ah just dey wait for my turn.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by AlphaT1(m): 8:19am On Jun 17, 2017
jagugu88li:
I am 100% sure I am right. For example, its my first time hearing about casual leave, but I am familiar with Vacational leave, Family responsibility leave, study leave and outbound emergency leave. It is only outbound that one writes a letter for, for they only informed their superiors on the morning they were actual absent on. Even then, they write it on thier return. If "casual leave" applies to only exams, are you then not permitted to go for emergency classes?
Guide me again.

That's why I am educating you on what you didn't know before, for you to learn. There are several forms of casual leave and exams leave is one of them. I am a civil servant and a head of unit. I did not only approve for my subordinates, I have taken it myself in the past. If today were a working day, I would have snapped it from the Federal civil service gazette (conditions of service) and posted it here. There are so many things employees (civil servants) don't know unless you get to a certain senior grade level, where you have access to materials/resources that would guide you.
Two of my subordinates are currently studying on part-time.
Most employees don't even have the conditions of service, some don't even know their job schedule very well, some take certain decisions based on misleading information they get from their colleagues or elsewhere, some are not even trainined since they were employed.
I try as much as I can to guide my subordinates rightly, because in civil service, you may be doing the wrong thing repeatedly out of ignorance and no one would care but the day they want to witch-hunt somebody, you would be the victim.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by BCISLTD: 8:24am On Jun 17, 2017
doskie:

omo if i was the one that wrote this type of long joke and i didnt get up to 256 likes ehnn.......

hmmm....!. I'll be dissapointed in nairaland. i may even quit.

brothers and sisters, lets assist this brethren with our hard earned likes and bleeps please. show love. the turn up so far is too poor.
grin
SisiKill1:

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
Sincerely,
Your Name

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:

God Bless
Your name

PS

NB

It seems funny..in fact it's very funny..but if ur letter no get that tone ..my friend ur going no where..
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by ivandragon: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2017
AlphaT1:

That's why I am educating you on what you didn't know before, for you to learn. There are several forms of casual leave and exams leave is one of them. I am a civil servant and a head of unit. I did not only approve for my subordinates, I have taken it myself in the past. If today were a working day, I would have snapped it from the Federal civil service gazette (conditions of service) and posted it here. There are so many things employees (civil servants) don't know unless you get to a certain senior grade level, where you have access to materials/resources that would guide you.
Two of my subordinates are currently studying on part-time.
Most employees don't even have the conditions of service, some don't even know their job schedule very well, some take certain decisions based on misleading information they get from their colleagues or elsewhere, some are not even trainined since they were employed.
I try as much as I can to guide my subordinates rightly, because in civil service, you may be doing the wrong thing repeatedly out of ignorance and no one would care but the day they want to witch-hunt somebody, you would be the victim.

if you are referring to the FG public services rules, you should know that casual leave is a different type of leave on its own & very different from examination leave which is for those who have either been previously granted permission to undergo an academic programme or are going to take a professional examination that is required for their advancement on the job.

casual leave is a maximum of 7 days & is 'supposed to be utilised' when a staff has exhausted his/her annual leave.

if the OP works in a private firm, they would most likely have their own staff manual/conditions of service...

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by AlphaT1(m): 8:54am On Jun 17, 2017
ivandragon:

if you are referring to the FG public services rules, you should know that casual leave is a different type of leave on its own & very different from examination leave which is for those who have either been previously granted permission to undergo an academic programme or are going to take a professional examination that is required for their advancement on the job.

casual leave is a maximum of 7 days & is 'supposed to be utilised' when a staff has exhausted his/her annual leave.

if the OP works in a private firm, they would most likely have their own staff manual/conditions of service...
Haven't I been repeatedly making reference to federal civil sservice? If the op was talking about private firm then it's ok, but for someone to say there's nothing like exam leave, it's just ridiculous.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by kabillion(m): 8:56am On Jun 17, 2017
If you are employed n you boldly ask this repressive question only God know what u are doing there. Write a formal stating ur intentions. Your subscription, signature n name.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by AlphaT1(m): 9:01am On Jun 17, 2017
ivandragon:

Yea, I know exam leave stands alone as a form of leave, I wanted to make it simple for the lady who's arguing what she doesn't know. I even stated the 1 to 7 days casual leave max. approval, she is still arguing.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by ivandragon: 9:04am On Jun 17, 2017
AlphaT1:

Yea, I know exam leave stands alone as a form of leave, I wanted to make it simple for the lady who's arguing what she doesn't know. I even stated the 1 to 7 days casual leave max. approval, she is still arguing.

OK. was about replying your other mention when I saw this.

she probably doesn't work with the FG or a properly structured organisation, so I guess she can be excused.

2 Likes

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 9:46am On Jun 17, 2017
jagugu88li:
I am 100% sure I am right. For example, its my first time hearing about casual leave, but I am familiar with Vacational leave, Family responsibility leave, study leave and outbound emergency leave. It is only outbound that one writes a letter for, for they only informed their superiors on the morning they were actually absent on. Even then, they write it on thier return. If "casual leave" applies to only exams, are you then not permitted to go for emergency classes?
Guide me again.

it depends on your organisation. I'm a public servant in abuja.
In my organisation, we have
- study leave. If u have worked for up to 5 years, u can take study leave and go and study for full time 1 year masters or 3 years PhD. There's paid and unpaid study leave.
- casual leave. When u have a pressing family issue, u can take casual leave. Up to 7 days in a year
- exam leave. If u are studying part-time, and apply to HR to notify them, u attach the time-table. When the exam time approaches, u take exam leave to go and write your exam
- leave of absence. A woman whose husband gets a political appointment (or vice versa) can take leave of absence for up to 4 years and stay with the husband. Eg a woman who's husband becomes a governor. Or a woman whose husband is posted abroad. And vice versa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 10:38am On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
it depends on your organisation. I'm a public servant in abuja.
In my organisation, we have
- study leave. If u have worked for up to 5 years, u can take study leave and go and study for full time 1 year masters or 3 years PhD. There's paid and unpaid study leave.
- casual leave. When u have a pressing family issue, u can take casual leave. Up to 7 days in a year
- exam leave. If u are studying part-time, and apply to HR to notify them, u attach the time-table. When the exam time approaches, u take exam leave to go and write your exam
- leave of absence. A woman whose husband gets a political appointment (or vice versa) can take leave of absence for up to 4 years and stay with the husband. Eg a woman who's husband becomes a governor. Or a woman whose husband is posted abroad. And vice versa.
Please on that leave of absence is it applicable to a woman who is newly married but the husband resides abroad?
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by tayorh(m): 10:41am On Jun 17, 2017
SisiKill1:

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:

God Bless
Your name

PS

Lwkmd cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Paying Company In Nigeria? / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.