Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,017 members, 7,841,869 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (149) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (882212 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 12, 2015
rainyday:
pls doc i need ur advice, my menses started on d 1st of feb n it normally last for 5days. bt dis time around i kept spotting from d 5th day down to day 8. i woke up last nite n i was soaked wit blood, my period started again wit clots n it was heavy. am really confused,dis is d first time am experiencing dis. tanks

I suspect uterine fibroids. Why not go run a pelvic scan and report back to me?!
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 12, 2015
ok i wil do that,tanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by iretinyee(f): 9:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
Hello Doctor,
I went for hormonal profile test and d result showed that my
prolactin level is 33
and
my progesterone levels is just 3. What can i do. I ve been ttc for 1yr and 6mnths. Help pls
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by hotmomma(f): 12:01am On Feb 13, 2015
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 13, 2015
iretinyee:
Hello Doctor,
I went for hormonal profile test and d result showed that my
prolactin level is 33
and
my progesterone levels is just 3. What can i do. I ve been ttc for 1yr and 6mnths. Help pls

What cycle date/day was the profile run?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Iffffffy(f): 9:50am On Feb 13, 2015
Hello doc, 36days after miscarriage, yet to see my period, did pt, was positive, though d 2nd line still faint, could it be pregnancy or hormone frm d last preg playing pranks?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Moradeeke(f): 11:16am On Feb 13, 2015
Double posts
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2015
Hello Doctors

Pls, My mother usually have pain in her abdomen that will make her not able to poop or belge or pass the gas. She did series of test and some says its multiple gall stone found.

The last one she did is an abdominal scan which conclusion states:

ASS:
USS FEATURES SUGESTIVE OF CHOLELITHIASIS WITH CHRONIC CHOLECYSTITIS.

pls what is the meaning of this and whats the way out for her??
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 13, 2015
ToyosiR:
Hello Doctors

Pls, My mother usually have pain in her abdomen that will make her not able to poop or belge or pass the gas. She did series of test and some says its multiple gall stone found.

The last one she did is an abdominal scan which conclusion states:

ASS:
USS FEATURES SUGESTIVE OF CHOLELITHIASIS WITH CHRONIC CHOLECYSTITIS.

pls what is the meaning of this and whats the way out for her??

It means she has gallbladder stone, and her gall is inflammed. Let her see a doctor in person.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Moradeeke(f): 5:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 7:58pm On Feb 13, 2015
Marc9:

It means she has gallbladder stone, and her gall is inflammed. Let her see a doctor in person.

The doctor she saw said she also has uterine fibroid that he will need to remove her fibroid/womb first since she's above the child bearing age.

I am really confused cos i also goggled this result and saw its gall stone.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
ToyosiR:

The doctor she saw said she also has uterine fibroid that he will need to remove her fibroid/womb first since she's above the child bearing age.

I am really confused cos i also goggled this result and saw its gall stone.

Fibroids? Why wld a doc indicate 'hysterectomy' without evaulating d leiomyoma? How old is she?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by iretinyee(f): 12:06am On Feb 14, 2015
The test was done 14days after my cycle cos my menstra period started on the 17th of jan and I was told to come back on the 6th of feb for the test. Secondly my period is not regular. my normal cycle suppose be 21days but presently it changes from 21 to 24days. Though it normally changes in d past. Secondly I didn't see ewcm after my menstra period in jan and am in my period
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 5:31am On Feb 14, 2015
Marc9:

Fibroids? Why wld a doc indicate 'hysterectomy' without evaulating d leiomyoma? How old is she?
she's 50 years old.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 14, 2015
ToyosiR:

she's 50 years old.

I won't advise hysterectomy be carried out, so long the myoma isn't malignant.

But then, if the myoma is larger than 5cm, perhaps myomectomy(fibroids removal) could be carried out, not hysterectomy.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 14, 2015
iretinyee:
The test was done 14days after my cycle cos my menstra period started on the 17th of jan and I was told to come back on the 6th of feb for the test. Secondly my period is not regular. my normal cycle suppose be 21days but presently it changes from 21 to 24days. Though it normally changes in d past. Secondly I didn't see ewcm after my menstra period in jan and am in my period

Hormonal imbalance.

Are you Trying To Conceive as well?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 10:51am On Feb 14, 2015
The result for the full scan is in two papers

first reads below;

USS shows a bulky uterus with AP diameter of 6.6cm. The echo pattern is largely homogenous. the myometrium is expanded by a soli tissue mass with mixed echo texture and AP diameter 3.0cm intramural in the fundal wall. the Endometrial thickness is normal in sizes and structure. Adnexae bilaterally free. Pouch of douglas is normal. No free pelvic collection. No cyst. No cyesis or retained products of conception sighted.

The second one is below:
liver;Normal size..............
Kidneys :Bilaterally normal sized

GIT: GROSSLY NORMAL STRUCTURE....................

SPLEEN: Normal sized with a regular outline...............
PANCREAS: Normal sized with regular outline.............

URINARY BLADDER; Normal internal wall smoothness and thickness. .......................

ASS:
USS FEATURES SUGGESTIVE OF CHOLELITHIASIS WITH CHRONIC CHOLCYSTITIS

DOCTOR'S NAME......

The doctor now said we should have her womb removed first b4 the other ones.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by iretinyee(f): 5:12pm On Feb 14, 2015
Hello doc
I ve been ttc for 1yr and 6mnths
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:19am On Feb 15, 2015
ToyosiR:

she's 50 years old.

Hi, is the fibroid causing her major symptoms, like heavy menses or major pelvic pain?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 1:17pm On Feb 15, 2015
omicron:

Hi, is the fibroid causing her major symptoms, like heavy menses or major pelvic pain?

She doesn't menstrate much at all and its not much. She have abdominal pains, back pain and the pelvic pain as well.

But the abdominal pain is the one that is always much and once it starts, it causes serious constipation. NO STOOLING, NO PASSING OF GAS.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 3:28pm On Feb 15, 2015
ToyosiR:

She doesn't menstrate much at all and its not much. She have abdominal pains, back pain and the pelvic pain as well.

But the abdominal pain is the one that is always much and once it starts, it causes serious constipation. NO STOOLING, NO PASSING OF GAS.

In that case, the fibroid may not be significant and so should not warrant surgery -even myomectomy.

It appears that she is perimenopausal, or close to her menopause, considering the scanty menstrual flow and her age. Under this circumstance, fibroids not causing major problems are better left alone, as they would soon stop growing, once she reaches menopause fuly, which is rather imminent.

Her abdominal symptoms of pain may be more in keeping with the ultrasound diagnosis of gall stones and gall bladder inflammation, particularly if the pain is more in the upper abdomen.You will comfirm the diagnosis when you have seen a gastroenterologist and or a general surgeon. This is even more significant in order to rule out other possiblities, including peptic ulcer disease or pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)

When comfirmed, treatment could be medical (pills and lifestyle changes) or surgical (removal of the gall bladder).
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ccaramel(f): 5:16pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mumsyfiyin:
Hello Doctor,
Please let me narrate my experience to you maybe you can help me.

I have being married for 15months now being diagnosed of high prolactin I have being using broom riptide consistently but my prolactin will not reduce.

My progesterone levels are good the one I did recently 21dpo read 39.5 and I did one on day 3 reads 0.7 which should suggest I am ovulating please what can I do.

I am already considering IVF cos my colleagues have turned me to a laffing stock,can't your God give you a baby ni and it is just 15months o

Try cabergoline(dostinex) instead. More effective than bromo. 15 months is really too early to be considering IVF. Unless there's age factor involved. Make sure your hubby gets semen analysis done too.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ccaramel(f): 5:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
[quote author=Goldengift post=30456857][/quote]
Hope progesterone was taken on day 21/22 of the cycle?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Iffffffy(f): 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
Iffffffy:
Hello doc, 36days after miscarriage, yet to see my period, did pt, was positive, though d 2nd line still faint, could it be pregnancy or hormone frm d last preg playing pranks?
??
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Redeemed(f): 10:49pm On Feb 15, 2015
@ doctors, please is there any difference between Vitamin E and Omega 3 and 9 and what benefits do they have as regards ttc? I will appreciate your response. Thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ToyosiR(f): 9:54pm On Feb 17, 2015
omicron:
In that case, the fibroid may not be significant and so should not warrant surgery -even myomectomy.
It appears that she is perimenopausal, or close to her menopause, considering the scanty menstrual flow and her age. Under this circumstance, fibroids not causing major problems are better left alone, as they would soon stop growing, once she reaches menopause fuly, which is rather imminent.
Her abdominal symptoms of pain may be more in keeping with the ultrasound diagnosis of gall stones and gall bladder inflammation, particularly if the pain is more in the upper abdomen.You will comfirm the diagnosis when you have seen a gastroenterologist and or a general surgeon. This is even more significant in order to rule out other possiblities, including peptic ulcer disease or pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
When comfirmed, treatment could be medical (pills and lifestyle changes) or surgical (removal of the gall bladder).

Thanks so much sir,

I need a recomended gastroenterologist or general surgeon in Lagos that we can consult and know the next step as the pain in her back is getting unbearable and making life miserable for her.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by AdaEkube(f): 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hello doc,just got across dis thread now.i have been ttc since December 2014 and I noticed that my menses hasn't been flowing well as usual.This week I went for a hormonal assay,hvs and scan,yet to get the results for hvs n hormonal assay but I hv the scan results.I don't understand it and I want u to help me explain it very well.Thanks.
UTERUS........normal size anteverted non-gravid uterus measuring above 94*44*56mm with homogeneous myometrial echo texture,no uterine myoma.
Endometrial cavity is intact and empty.
OVARIES ......a small sized 11*15mm dominant follicle noted within the left ovary,the right is free,no cystic lesion.
ADNEXAE......bilateral free,no salpingitis.
Nil in POD.
Impression........normal pelvic scan,left developing follicle.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Ehibeca(f): 8:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
am kindof feeling heavy /not comfortable at the left side of my waist inside...pls what could be that?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by debbie(f): 3:46pm On Feb 23, 2015
My friend just lost her baby out of carelessness of the doctor and nurses in the hospital she went to give birth ....For the past two days she was having contraction and it was getting serious, but because the EDD given to her was mid march, she reported to the hospital and the silly nurses told her to go that it was false labour, plus her date hasn't reached....she went home and for the next two days she kept on having the contraction. Not knowing that the baby was getting weak and tired...eventually the couldn't bear it and reported back. The hurriedly delivered her of the baby, only for them to discover that the baby was already dead.

Right now she has been crying her life out, even her hubby is so weak and cant bear it.
I need the help of the doctors here or anyone in the house concerning the action I need to take against this hospital

My main aim of doing this is to avert any such carelessness in future, especially to pregnant women who might not be aware of the fact that this said hospital have inexperienced hands and can get away with any action of their

Firstly the hospital is I ikorodu part of Lagos state.
I want to sue the hospital or possible make known the hospital name and location.
I want to be properly guided or advised on what to do.

Remember we have to fight to stop child mortality and any pregnancy related causality which is caused by human error.

Thanks

marc9, ccaramelf, omicron
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 23, 2015
debbie:
My friend just lost her baby out of carelessness of the doctor and nurses in the hospital she went to give birth ....For the past two days she was having contraction and it was getting serious, but because the EDD given to her was mid march, she reported to the hospital and the silly nurses told her to go that it was false labour, plus her date hasn't reached....she went home and for the next two days she kept on having the contraction. Not knowing that the baby was getting weak and tired...eventually the couldn't bear it and reported back. The hurriedly delivered her of the baby, only for them to discover that the baby was already dead.

Right now she has been crying her life out, even her hubby is so weak and cant bear it.
I need the help of the doctors here or anyone in the house concerning the action I need to take against this hospital

My main aim of doing this is to avert any such carelessness in future, especially to pregnant women who might not be aware of the fact that this said hospital have inexperienced hands and can get away with any action of their

I want to sue the hospital or possible make known the hospital name and location.

Remember we have to fight to stop child mortality and any pregnancy related causality which is caused by human error.

Thanks

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. The nurse in question is likely an auxillary nurse, because no formally trained nurse would attend to a pregnant patient the way she did. She never knew labour can begin weeks prior to EDD, and she assumed your friend's contraction was pseudotocia.

I'll advise you lodge a report with the Lagos State Ministry of Health, or Lagos state chapter of NMA. They know what to do.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 6:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
debbie:

I need the help of the doctors here or anyone in the house concerning the action I need to take against this hospital I'm

Thanks

I'm so sorry for her loss.

Mid March is barely 3 weeks from now, meaning that the pregnancy is term already, and the baby mature.

I find the Hospital culpable that the lady was sent home without examination by a doctor, and personally the nurses are culpable for doing that, except a doctor was called and did not show up. In that case, the doctor is culpable for negligence.

Diagnosis of false labour is usually one that is made at least 24 hours after the onset of initial contractions in pragnant woman who has reached term (37wks). Your friend was supposed to have been counselled to stay for observation in order to monitor her progress, if any. If this choice was offered and declined, then your friend is culpable too. If this choice was not offered at all, it is tantamout to negligence, and the doctor or nurses or Hospital culpable. If this choice was offered, accepted and followed, but her labour failed to progress to 'active' stage, and the baby fine, then standard practice is to send her home to come back "when the pains are stronger" or when anything else occurs.

But, in a scenerio where there were other factors that should have neccesitated urgent delivery of the baby, such as when the membrane had ruptured or when the mother had preeclampsia (a kind of hypertension in pregnancy), or when cervical dilatation had progressed to 'active' labour even without obvious strong contractions, your friend was supposed to have been induced asap, barring any contraindications to induction. This is why a doctor needed to have seen and examined her.

You can go to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria to present your case or you can go through the state branch of the NMA.

It is also important to find out if the 'nurses' are licensed to practise Nursing in the first place, since the use of unlicensed 'nurses' is rampant in Nigeria's private hospitals

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.