Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,661 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi (24577 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill DELSU Staff And A Farmer / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ / Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ShehuAba(m): 10:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido on Tuesday reacted to a statement credited to a former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, who said that the planned introduction of the N5000 note will increase inflation in the country.

Mr Obasanjo had on Thursday said the introduction of the N5000 note would kill production and affect small businesses negatively.

The former president, who disclosed this at a roundtable advocacy forum organised by the Institute of Directors, in Lagos, said the way, Mr Sanusi, was fighting inflation by removing money from circulation was improper.

However, speaking at the sixth annual conference of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria, Mr Sanusi said Mr Obasanjo had introduced more high denomination in Nigeria than any other Head of State.

“General Obasanjo did N20; he did N100, N200, N500 and N1000. He has introduced more higher denomination than any Head of States,” Mr Sanusi said.

The CBN governor said that during the period Mr Obasanjo was introducing high denomination inflation in Nigeria was actually low.

“General Obasanjo did N100 in 1999; then he did N200 in 2000; he did N500 I think two years later; and did N1000. In that period, inflation was coming down because it was accompanied by very tight monetary and fiscal policies during his reforms.

“For somebody who have gone through that to come and stand up and say ‘introducing a higher denomination causes inflation’ I don’t know if somebody wrote his speech. I’m trying to see him or if he was misquoted.

“If he actually said that then he must be the single most important determinant of inflation in our history given the number of notes that he introduced,” he said

Mr Sanusi said printing higher denomination without increasing the money supply in the economy will not increase inflation. “This is simple economics,” he said.

He said that the cost of printing and minting all denomination of currency in 2009 was N47 billion and that by 2011 the CBN brought this cost down to N32 billion.

He said that by 2014 the cost would further be reduced to N25 billion thereby saving about 50 percent of the total cost of printing and minting all denomination of currency.

Mr Sanusi said the N5000 note would not cost more than N3 billion to print.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/11/n5000-note-obasanjo-is-a-good-farmer-but-a-bad-economist-sanusi/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Acidosis(m): 11:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
I agree, 100%.

Imagine OBJ giving you IV drugs (injections)..

sometimes it is better to keep quiet than make comments about things we know NOTHING about..

This isn't common sense, but ECONOMICS..

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Onyenna(m): 11:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
That one na their business..... Abeg, how do I create a tread?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
Sanusi may be right but attacking obj is sumtin I wouldn‘t do even if I am the president. At times silence is the best answer.

12 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ballabriggs: 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
The truth is OBJ did not say introducing new notes will kill production. OBJ said cutting inflation will kill production. They are two different things. So when Baba go begin slap Journo for interview, make nobody complain.

But you have dolts in the Nigerian media who went to print with something different.

While we might want to allow for inflation, the truth is, there is also the reserves to protect. This is very important for an import dependent economy with a limited absorptive capacity for investments.

I said the same thing Sanusi said in one of my earlier posts, OBJ implemented loads of contractionary fiscal and monetary policies. He raised taxes on petroleum products more than any other leader in Nigeria. He introduced the new VAT rate before Late Umaru Yar'adua reverted it to the old rate.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Olaone1: 11:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
Obasanjo's an old fool, anyway.

He introduced 4 denominations yet he's talking shiit as usual, smh undecided

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by taharqa: 12:01am On Sep 12, 2012
ballabriggs: The truth is OBJ did not say introducing new notes will kill production. OBJ said cutting inflation will kill production. They are two different things. So when Baba go begin slap Journo for interview, make nobody complain.

But you have dolts in the Nigerian media who went to print with something different.

While we might want to allow for inflation, the truth is, there is also the reserves to protect. This is very important for an import dependent economy with a limited absorptive capacity for investments.

I said the same thing Sanusi said in one of my earlier posts, OBJ implemented loads of contractionary fiscal and monetary policies. He raised taxes on petroleum products more than any other leader in Nigeria. He introduced the new VAT rate before Late Umaru Yar'adua reverted it to the old rate.

Thank you very much. I thought I was d only one dat read/heard dis.

Obasanjo was NOT talking about currency in relations to inflation but his concern about the inflation-targeting money supply restrictions(tactics) of the CBN affecting production. I read the many articles in the newspapers that reported the said news and watched wot President Obj said on Channels TV where - he's comment was not directly related to currency re-denomination......well d current 9ja Press is a diff 'fish' to wot we used to know; and it is very SAD

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by DisGuy: 12:02am On Sep 12, 2012
lucenzo: Sanusi may be right but attacking obj is sumtin I wouldn‘t do even if I am the president. At times silence is the best answer.

why must everything be seen as an 'attack' in our socirty, once you disagree with someone and give reasons to? all this Yes Mannism sef

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by 2mch(m): 12:06am On Sep 12, 2012
Sanusi is a bad economist, but a good turban wearer. undecided. OBJ did not make any wrong assertions. If it doesn't make sense to Sanusi. Then his coconut brain needs to go on exile.

13 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by taharqa: 12:18am On Sep 12, 2012
2mch: Sanusi is a bad economist, but a good turban wearer. undecided. OBJ did not make any wrong assertions. If it doesn't make sense to Sanusi. Then his coconut brain needs to go on exile.

And may I ask, precisely wot "assertion" did Obj make?
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by topboyz(m): 1:27am On Sep 12, 2012
These Nigerian Rulers sef, obasanjo may be right though. Sanusi is such a dubious guy.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Genius100: 1:46am On Sep 12, 2012
The truth here is that most Nigerians are i-diots. When the story broke about what OBJ said, there was an accompanying video. In the video, OBJ clearly said if the sole focus of the CBN governor is fighting inflation, then production will suffer. HE NEVER SAID INTRODUCTION OF N5000 WILL KILL PRODUCTION. But guess what, a newscater that actually showed the video claimed OBJ vehemently disagreed with the introduction of N5000 becuase it will kill production. Most Nigerians are simply incompetent...

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 12, 2012
Baba na no go area...

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by misreal(m): 2:01am On Sep 12, 2012
Genius100: The truth here is that most Nigerians are i-diots. When the story broke about what OBJ said, there was an accompanying video. In the video, OBJ clearly said if the sole focus of the CBN governor is fighting inflation, then production will suffer. HE NEVER SAID INTRODUCTION OF N5000 WILL KILL PRODUCTION. But guess what, a newscater that actually showed the video claimed OBJ vehemently disagreed with the introduction of N5000 becuase it will kill production. Most Nigerians are simply incompetent...
i tink u r de most incompetent nigerian

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by toluxa1(m): 2:11am On Sep 12, 2012
Genius100: The truth here is that most Nigerians are i-diots. When the story broke about what OBJ said, there was an accompanying video. In the video, OBJ clearly said if the sole focus of the CBN governor is fighting inflation, then production will suffer. HE NEVER SAID INTRODUCTION OF N5000 WILL KILL PRODUCTION. But guess what, a newscater that actually showed the video claimed OBJ vehemently disagreed with the introduction of N5000 becuase it will kill production. Most Nigerians are simply incompetent...

My brother, twist it however you want but the truth is that, that was what he actually meant. He may not have said it in those exact words but go and listen to his speech again and you'll CLEARLY see that was exactly what he insinuated. We are not small children or dullards that somebody will come and be saying "he didn't actually say so so". I'll be ashamed if OBJ himself comes out to say that. He definitely won't.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by dedeike: 2:12am On Sep 12, 2012
SANUSI is so on point. If Obj knows that higher denominations is inflationary then he ought to come and explain to Nigerians why he deliberately imposed inflation on us during his tenure.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by anitank(f): 2:21am On Sep 12, 2012
Wether OBJ said it or not, we all know that N5000 naira note will be a great disaster to this country. I mean wasn't that what Ghana left that we r going into
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ACM10: 2:28am On Sep 12, 2012
Both of them are bad economists

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by amosy007: 2:31am On Sep 12, 2012
This sanusi get problem sha angry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ACM10: 2:40am On Sep 12, 2012
Why does Sanusi wield so much power? Where are those powers when Soludo was at the helm? Is Sanusi really answerable to the president or himself?

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by taharqa: 2:41am On Sep 12, 2012
anitank: Wether OBJ said it or not, we all know that N5000 naira note will be a great disaster to this country. I mean wasn't that what Ghana left that we r going into
Plz it is presumtious and rude to use words like 'we all know dat...' when making yr points in public. When did 'we all' tell u 'our' minds on d issue....it wud be gr8t though if you intimate 'us' wit details on why YOU know dat d intro of #5000 'wud lead to disaster in d country'(i presume in terms of inflation). It wud be some gr8t to hv smone wit yr knowledge explain how d mere introductn of a higher denominatn wud lead to inflation.thnx

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 2:42am On Sep 12, 2012
by the time the effect of the introduction of #5000 notes starts biting, it will be too late for Jonathan to react because elections will be by the corner. Mallams being strategic. lol

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Niseamaka(m): 2:49am On Sep 12, 2012
SEEMS I`M ONE OF THE FEW NAIRALANDERS THAT IS VERY
SUPPORTIVE OF THE CONTROVERSIAL INTRODUCTION OF
5000 NAIRA NOTES.I JUST CAN`T WAIT TO PUT 500K IN EACH OF
THE BACK POCKETS OF MY JEAN TROUSER.A MILLION BUCKS IN DA POCKET.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 2:51am On Sep 12, 2012
Sallam everyone, I'm Sanusi Lamido an islamic ideologist terrorist who happens to be in charge of your central bank. I'm introducing a new #5000 note because i have the power to. thank Allah your country has the resource to fund my idea. shikena

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 2:59am On Sep 12, 2012
misreal: u r just writing bulky nonsense i wish i was ur father i for don kill u

grin grin grin u too harsh bro
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Niseamaka(m): 3:08am On Sep 12, 2012
ACM10: Why does Sanusi wield so much power? Where are those powers when Soludo was at the helm? Is Sanusi really answerable to the president or himself?

Before any of Sanusi`s ideas will be implemented,it must have been scrutinized and approved by the financial eggheads headed by aunty Ngozi as well as the presidency.without that approval,the new 5000 naira notes will not be introduced. it`s a collective decision of the government, not just that of Sanusi.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Forzap: 3:14am On Sep 12, 2012
Sanusi is a good EMIR but a bad economist.no story

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by petnkool: 3:19am On Sep 12, 2012
The evil men do lives after them

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peter Obi Honored With Citizenship Of Dallas, USA (video) / Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH / A Nairalander And His Fellow Apc Comrades Already Celebrating Obaseki Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.