Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Is Annointing Oil Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Annointing Oil Biblical? (4110 Views)

Selling 'annointing' Water At USD $360 A Bottle (FRAUD ALERT) / Incredible Video: Watch As Pastor Chris Levels Half Of His Church Wit Annointing / Why are majority of those who fall under annointing female? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2012
A quick scan through the shelve of many people will easily reveal the presence of a sacred oil acquired from church. It has been reported to save many lives by application but the ultimate truth is does the bible support this modern day usage of annointing oil?
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by Goshen360(m): 8:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
In the OT, the anointing oil is a function of something from the outside BUT in the NT, it is function of something that is from inside/within a Christian/believer. Aside, the NT says, anoint the sick with oil BUT it is not the oil that heals the sick BUT THE PRAYER OF FAITH BY THE RIGHTEOUS, that's what heals the sick.

Aside of this, people who drink anointing oil and carry anointing oil all about are void of the word and the power of a believer minus the acts of the Holy Spirit.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by Delafruita(m): 9:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
Goshen360: In the OT, the anointing oil is a function of something from the outside BUT in the NT, it is function of something that is from inside/within a Christian/believer. Aside, the NT says, anoint the sick with oil BUT it is not the oil that heals the sick BUT THE PRAYER OF FAITH BY THE RIGHTEOUS, that's what heals the sick.

Aside of this, people who drink anointing oil and carry anointing oil all about are void of the word and the power of a believer minus the acts of the Holy Spirit.
why the waste of oil if only the prayer is sufficient?the use of olive oil has a significance which was highlighted in the bible
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 10:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
so in other words you are saying anointing oil is being misrepresented in this modern day
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by Goshen360(m): 10:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
Delafruita:
why the waste of oil if only the prayer is sufficient?the use of olive oil has a significance which was highlighted in the bible

Do you mind highlighting the significant of "olive oil" to us from the bible?
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by Goshen360(m): 10:47pm On Sep 12, 2012
sleekysol: so in other words you are saying anointing oil is being misrepresented in this modern day

When you don't understand the purpose and reasons for the symbols.....you will misplace it for the substance.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by finestboy2(m): 11:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
Is used for important events or to drive out demons.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 11:10pm On Sep 12, 2012
t
Goshen360:

When you don't understand the purpose and reasons for the symbols.....you will misplace it for the substance.

i agree with you to some extent but so many denominations today see the olive oil(anointing oil) as a sacred and healing tool. In the bible only one oil was referred to as sacred in the old testament and there was strict warning for no one to make any oil of such nature in the future failure to heed would warrant the wrath of God.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by Goshen360(m): 11:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
sleekysol: t

i agree with you to some extent but so many denominations today see the olive oil(anointing oil) as a sacred and healing tool. In the bible only one oil was referred to as sacred in the old testament and there was strict warning for no one to make any oil of such nature in the future failure to heed would warrant the wrath of God.

My brother.......it was only a type and shadow of the Holy Spirit and that (anointing) has been given to ALL believers in the NT......except for the case of anointing the sick with oil in which it is not the oil per say BUT the prayer of faith by the righteous that shall heal the sick. Anything outside of this for the NT church is misuse of the symbols for the substance and it is a ritual.

NOW(presently, in the now; mine added) faith is.....Heb 11:1

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. James 5:14-15

Here you see, it is not the oil that makes the sick well BUT the prayer of FAITH.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 12:01am On Sep 13, 2012
i agree with you totally. But what is in practise today is far beyond what you are saying. Anointing oil is an integral aspect of modern xtainity. Churches even hold special anointing services where oil is blessed by the presiding pastor or oversea. Does this suggest something wrong?
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by CrazyMan(m): 12:13am On Sep 13, 2012
sleekysol: A quick scan through the shelve of many people will easily reveal the presence of a sacred oil acquired from church. It has been reported to save many lives by application but the ultimate truth is does the bible support this modern day usage of annointing oil?
Yes, I believe the bible supports the use of anoiting oil.

Below are reasons why I feel that the bible supports the use of Anoiting oil.

1. The Anointing oil can be used as a symbolic representation of our faith in Jesus Christ to answer our prayer.

2. The Anointing oil can also be used for consecration and sanctification, of saints...I believe you've witnessed area in our modern churches.

3. It can be used for deliverance purposes..

Mark 6:13  They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.

4. It can be applied as a healing salve or ointment that has true medicinal attributes,

James 5:14.  Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.

I can go on an on...
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2012
@man the point we are tryin to highlight is simply that the oil isnt the healer it is the faith that heals. Christ never had any association with oil did He?
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by slimming: 5:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
Ask God first.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by CrazyMan(m): 6:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
sleekysol: @man the point we are tryin to highlight is simply that the oil isnt the healer it is the faith that heals. Christ never had any association with oil did He?
My dear Jesus has association with oil. See the passage below.

Mark 14:4-6.  And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made? 5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her. 6 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by sleekysol(m): 11:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
that wasnt oil it was perfume. And it was a preparation for the death of christ, there was no account of Jesus christ using oil as a form healing or anointing. What jesus did was teach his disciples how to pray and also faith
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by CrazyMan(m): 2:03am On Sep 14, 2012
sleekysol: that wasnt oil it was perfume. And it was a preparation for the death of christ, there was no account of Jesus christ using oil as a form healing or anointing. What jesus did was teach his disciples how to pray and also faith
Ok I agree with you. Jesus never used anointing oil in the bible..but his disciples used it.
Re: Is Annointing Oil Biblical? by finestboy2(m): 8:39pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yes it is bibblical

(1) (Reply)

How Often Do You Pray?? / Can Worldly Riches Give A Man The 'Assurance' Of Life? / Do Spirits Of People Live After They Die?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.