Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants (1043 Views)

Five Year Old Boy Opts To Become A Girl / Where Can A Victim Of Domestic Violence Get Justice? / Under-18 Domestic Servants Banned In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants by uche1(m): 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2006
Nigerians who employ and keep children under the age of 18 years as domestic servants will now spend five years behind the bars if caught and prosecuted,
Although the offenders are liable to a fine of N100,000, some could pay the fine and still be sent to jail, depending on the circumstances surrounding the commission of the offence and the judge's discretion.

If the offender is a corporate entity, the fine is N250,000. The assets of corporate entities and individuals found to have been acquired with the money from human trafficking will also be forfeited for the rehabilitation of the victims.
The law, Trafficking in Persons Prohibition Law Enforcement and Administration, 2003, was amended and it came into effect on December 7, 2005.

Re: Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants by vichel(m): 5:32pm On Apr 12, 2006
If this is true, it is surely a welcome idea. wow am so happy to hear this
Re: Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants by Seun(m): 8:36pm On Apr 12, 2006
Source, please. Or are you the Secretary to the National Assembly?
Re: Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 14, 2006
abeg seun this one na front page news even me wey dey middle of nowhere i scotland hear am. Anyway methinks this is best law ever if it will work
Re: Five-year Jail Term For Keepers Of Domestic Servants by charla(f): 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2006
I fink dis a wonderful idea,most of those lil gals r maltreated.On d other hand,some employers r nice and offer a safe haven 4 dis kids who r escapin abuse from their own homes,rape and murder on d streets and so many other stuff.but i still commend d new law,it means Nigeria is taking one giant step towards civilisation.Does not mean it will work tho.

(1) (Reply)

I Can Not Take It Any More / Happy Birthday To ME / How Old Should A Man Be Before He Could Leave His Father House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.