Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,739 members, 7,955,814 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:01 PM

Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” (16684 Views)

Boko Haram: You Can Go To Court, Australian Negotiator Tells Sheriff / The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face / Sheikh Gumi To Boko-Haram - You Cannot Break-Up Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Solemntee: 7:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
Former President, Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo has averred that Nigeria would definitely win the ‘war’ currently going on between the country and the Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnati Lidda’awati Wal Jihad, otherwise known as Boko Haram.

The retired military general affirmed that the demise of the late Libyan dictator, Colonel Muammar Ghaddafi  made  the trained militants relocate into the country.

Obasanjo told British Broadcasting Corporation radio and television yesterday that the incessant bombing by the Islamist sect is unconnected with bad and failed leadership.

He said: “Now, talking to people who know the history of Nigeria, you will know that you cannot impose any particular religion on Nigeria as a whole. These people cannot impose Shari’a in the North where most of our people are Muslims let alone in Nigeria,” he said.

“Now, they should know that, and someone should make them know that. So I see a bit of naivety in that objective that they have given to themselves and it is an unattainable objective.”

Obasanjo added that: “If you are prepared to kill more people, if like somebody says “we will fight to the last drop of our blood”, now, one does not know whose blood would be the last to drop. How many would they kill, how many of them will survive at the end of the day?

“I believe you should go with…you should carry carrot and stick, at the end of the day there would be area where carrot would work and there would be area where stick would work. And I believed the authorities are now adopting that.

“Those who are on the other side, Boko Haram, and those who believe in their cause or waiting for their cause, know that it is not the war that they can win.”

“There is an internal element, which you have mentioned—inadequate education in the North, or in fact inadequate education generally in the country, inadequate employment opportunities in the country, all that are part of what, if you like, is remote cause of Boko Haram as far as I am concerned.

“But then there are also external elements. Now, the fallout from Libya, which of course as a result what happened in Libya, those that have been trained in Libya in the time of Gaddafi from other countries who are neighbors of Libya, when Gaddafi fell they moved out. They moved out with their training, their weapons and they started to wreak havoc on the communities in which they have moved out to. And that is the situation in northern Mali,” he added.

He disclosed that those who planned the fall of the Libyan leader, as well as the whole of Africa are already paying a price for that.

The farmer cum politician said. “We know that there will be a price to pay in the way that it all went in Libya. At the end of the day all of us in Africa, and all those who masterminded the way it happened will have to pay a price, and we are now paying the price “Now it was too early to shout ‘uhuru’ with the Arab Spring, and some of us said that. That look, what will be the final outcome of this? Let us wait and see. When you have violence and violent overthrow of regimes you do not know exactly what the final outcome will be.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/09/14/obasanjo-dares-boko-haram-you-can-never-win-war/

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by k2039: 7:57pm On Sep 14, 2012
BABA HAS BEEN MAKING A LOT OF NOISE LATELY.
JUST WONDERING WHAT HIS MOTIVE(S) IS/ARE

Solemn tee:

“Now, talking to people who know the history of Nigeria, you will know that you cannot impose any particular religion on Nigeria as a whole. These people cannot impose Sharia in the North where most of our people are Muslims let alone in Nigeria ,” he said.So I see a bit of naivety in that objective that they have given to themselves and it is an unattainable objective.”

“Those who are on the other side, Boko Haram, and those who believe in their cause or waiting for their cause, know that it is not the war that they can win.”

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL SAID BABA,BABA YOU TO MUCH.
GBOSA

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by FrankC3: 10:16pm On Sep 14, 2012
I don't like this man much but i respect his depth, native wisdom and firm grasp of the ways of this world, particularly Africa. Mayby, i am wrong in not liking him the the first place..

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Nobody: 12:32am On Sep 15, 2012
†ЂΞ man knows his onion politically jor. Baba u r mouthed!
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by kunlekunle: 6:27am On Sep 15, 2012
he,s still the main reason nigeria is one or little bit at rest.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by k10: 9:42am On Sep 15, 2012
but they can still make a point and kill many innocent people...

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by figment232(m): 9:45am On Sep 15, 2012
I think Baba shld be given anoder chance to rule,to continue d gud works GEJ has already put on ground.
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Hardfact: 9:50am On Sep 15, 2012
Somebody should please help tell those losers, drum it into even their subconcious senses that their destiny is to lose in their mission of continually spilling the blood of people who have done them no harm and keeping hoping for what even God will never want. Somebody should remind them, albeit an unpopular ex-president Obasanjo.
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by EagleNest(m): 9:51am On Sep 15, 2012
Sometimes OBJ makes sense. This is what GEJ as C-in-C should be telling Boko point blank, 'you can never win the battle' but fear wont let him.
I salute the courage of Borno governor who recently told Boko they can't Islamize North let alone the whole Nigeria.
Most northern governors, leaders and cabals knows this truth but cannot dare say it. Likes of IBB & Atiku seems to like a disoriented Nigeria b/c they are not in-charge.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by hajikebs(m): 9:52am On Sep 15, 2012
figment232: I think Baba shld be given anoder chance to rule,to continue d gud works GEJ has already put on ground.
abeegi!to rule who
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by taharqa: 9:52am On Sep 15, 2012
figment232: I think Baba shld be given anoder chance to rule,to continue d gud works GEJ has already put on ground.
Some of u guys are astonishly Gullible...anyway, gr8t points by d ex-President

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by jamil2(m): 9:54am On Sep 15, 2012
We aren't appreciating you please concentrate on your farm and leave national issues to the people responsible.
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by garrigangster: 9:57am On Sep 15, 2012
Later some people would compare tinubu to this man. Dem no be mate AT ALL

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by taharqa: 9:57am On Sep 15, 2012
EagleNest: Sometimes OBJ makes sense. This is what GEJ as C-in-C should be telling Boko point blank, 'you can never win the battle' but fear wont let him.
I salute the courage of Borno governor who recently told Boko they can't Islamize North let alone the whole Nigeria.
Most northern governors, leaders and cabals knows this truth but cannot dare say it. Likes of IBB & Atiku seems to like a disoriented Nigeria b/c they are not in-charge.
So u hv not heard d President say dat various times? But some of u guys shld learn to pause, count ya teeth with ya tongues carefully b4 saying(writing) anything, abeg

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by onatisi(m): 9:57am On Sep 15, 2012
kunlekunle: he,s still the main reason nigeria is one or little bit at rest.
nigerians dont know the imporatnce of this man obj,he had always from the begining advocated the use of carrot and stick option as the best solution to bh .even the ghanian president had to fly in obj in last week to come and plead with rawlings to campaign for him which rawligns refused .coming to the nigerian context he is the one that gave or stood by th ss people when the northerners were against gej to campaign he wanted the ss too to have a shot at it,he may have his short comings as a human being but politically obj is a detribalised politician.even now it is a known fact that he wants power to shift back to the north but lets just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens next

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by prettyboi1(m): 9:57am On Sep 15, 2012
This is why I've always wished Obasanjo was our president in a time like this. The man's not a god o but at least he's rugged,firm & knows how to think. I like the fact that he also knows & acknowledges that some people & countries out of shear bitterness & greed plot the fall of Gaddafi & in the long term run,the presence of chaos in so many parts of Africa. These people & countries armed thousands & thousands of rebels to fight Gaddafi & that time many blind people including Nigerians were hailing these rebels & wicked countries like the u.s.,Britain,France,Qatar etc. People like myself were saying it was a bad & wicked idea & that those countries were only fighting Gaddafi based on personal beef & not the so-called "help" they claimed to be offering the Libyans,today Africa is paying dearly for this because the rebels that the u.s.a. & co trained & offered weapons are in turn training other rebels & militants & causing chaos in several African countries,see Algeria,see Nigeria,see Mali,see Kenya & many more will surface if care is not taken. The u.s. plays chess weeeellll & they know how to make things work in their favour & in disfavour of others but yet people are still always too blind & would support them all the way. Africa might become the new middle East.(God forbid it though. Amen)

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Biggyd2: 9:57am On Sep 15, 2012
Had a dream where our Presido was giving this speech, suddenly i woke up and realized it was OBJ! grin grin grin Had to remind myself of our government's current stance on this issue(after all the previous promises), which is: No Timeline To End Boko Haram Bombings

Read more on : http://www.africaeagle.com/2012/07/nigeria-no-timeline-to-end-boko-haram.html
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by gistme24(m): 9:58am On Sep 15, 2012
Hate him or love him, you can never question his love for Nigeria and anythign African.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by waice6571: 9:58am On Sep 15, 2012
Easier said than done.
what is the outcome of his peace talk with boko haram? aggresive bombings, sporadic shoothings, incesasant kidnapings, lost of lives and properties of innocent people while our leaders are living thier lives without any fear of attack.
God save nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by DICKtator: 9:58am On Sep 15, 2012

With due respect to baba, I think his reign over his poultry business is a enough for him. His position as an analyst and agbaya stateman is better. We don't want the era of do-or-die again!!. Or amala and gbegiri politics coupled with Mr Fix-it!!!
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by lightheart(m): 10:01am On Sep 15, 2012
Solemn tee:
He said: “Now, talking to people who know the history of Nigeria, you will know that you cannot impose any particular religion on Nigeria as a whole. These people cannot impose Shari’a in the North where most of our people are Muslims let alone in Nigeria,” he said.

“Now, they should know that, and someone should make them know that. So I see a bit of naivety in that objective that they have given to themselves and it is an unattainable objective.”

Obasanjo added that: “If you are prepared to kill more people, if like somebody says “we will fight to the last drop of our blood”, now, one does not know whose blood would be the last to drop. How many would they kill, how many of them will survive at the end of the day?

When you have violence and violent overthrow of regimes you do not know exactly what the final outcome will be.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/09/14/obasanjo-dares-boko-haram-you-can-never-win-war/

CONFIRM TURKEY MEAT CHEWING!!!!

BAMMEST REASONING!!

TIGHTEST O.T
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by prettyboi1(m): 10:03am On Sep 15, 2012
onatisi:
nigerians dont know the imporatnce of this man obj,he had always from the begining advocated the use of carrot and stick option as the best solution to bh .even the ghanian president had to fly in obj in last week to come and plead with rawlings to campaign for him which rawligns refused .coming to the nigerian context he is the one that gave or stood by th ss people when the northerners were against gej to campaign he wanted the ss too to have a shot at it,he may have his short comings as a human being but politically obj is a detribalised politician.even now it is a known fact that he wants power to shift back to the north but lets just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens next

Exactly! Obasanjo is so detribalized & that's a quality every leader should have. He's no god or saint or but I still love him to bits. I'm not even yoruba o but at least I'm a Nigerian & I love this man like my father.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by onatisi(m): 10:06am On Sep 15, 2012
there is one aspect about obj which makes him a great leader and that is he doesnt run from taking responsibilty for his actions whether right or wrong,gej always tries to avoid ppl backlash of criticismand that is why ppl call him clueless.if obj believe in something and he has the power to do it he will go ahead no matter the kind of opposition u bring against him.we need ppl like that to rule nigerians ,because nigerians are difficult ppl to rule and please and if u dont know what u want to do they will be tossing u from here to there

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by vislabraye(m): 10:11am On Sep 15, 2012
They can't win but what is the security agent doing?
How many innocent blood should they shed before they're dealt with or have they not shed enuf blood?
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Eazeee(m): 10:11am On Sep 15, 2012
OBJ has said it all n i well respect his personality but wil hardly 4get d mistake he made submiting n handing over 2 d core northern Hausa/Fulani instead of d North Central/midle belt after all dey always say we are all North. D Hausa/Fulani man remains d biggest problem of dis con3 cos of dat dia RELIGION OF PEACE. Tank God d Super powers of dis world are not Islamic Countries,if not dey wud hav given us all PEACE D ISLAMIC WAY by force,by power. Ask ursef y dey all hate America n Western world? Dia religion of course because dey cant afford 2 watch d oda religions dan Islam dorminate world affairs,hence d usual propaganda ISLAM IS D FASTEST GROWING RELIGION. again ask y dey must protest in volatile Jos n not a muslem dorminated state despite warning by Jtf. MAY D PEACE OF ISLAM B UPON ALL MUSLEMS N ISLAM IN JESUS NAME
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by ramaju: 10:12am On Sep 15, 2012
jamil!:
We aren't appreciating you please concentrate on your farm and leave national issues to the people responsible.
Who are the people responsible Jami? Sometimes when matters concerning a nation come up, one has to ask those who have the experience of ruling or leading a nation and to me OBJ has spoken as a man who knows his onions on issues concerning Nigeria. Sometimes I wonder why people tend judge what ever OBJ says based on nothing. I believe it is only Nigerian that insult their leaders and most of us cannot even qualify to be class reps.
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by dandadee: 10:15am On Sep 15, 2012
I never knew baba to be this articulate in spoken english.It shows he is learning even in his old age.Our younger generation should take a cue from this.
Concerning the boko haram issue, i think baba would certainly have handled it better..with more sticks than carrots anyway..he has a deep understanding of the religious, ethnic, and political idiosyncrasies that complicate nigeria.
That said, I'm inclined to admire the new role he plays as a critic and adviser...You sure wouldnt get that from IBB..
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by sluch333: 10:16am On Sep 15, 2012
Nice talk Baba, they will soon be begging to stop the war. Its obvious the fools can never win. cheesy
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by Godjone(m): 10:18am On Sep 15, 2012
That is how tough military men talk. If it were Obj, boko haram issue wud av become history. I remember once a soldier always a soldier. We need ppl lyk OBJ to teach those fools a lesson
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by onatisi(m): 10:25am On Sep 15, 2012
the escalation of bh crisis is mainly due to gej poor handling of the matter and this is not unconnected to the kind of ppl that surrounds him.i remember whn this bh issue started obj went to maiduguri and met with the family of yussf the slain bh leader and got their request he met with a cross section of islamic leaders and discussed with them.baba went back and gave gej a sound advice that military option will only escalate the problem that he should identify the sponsors first,deal with them and at the same time pacify the family of all those killed extrajudicialy and other options too.it was gej military advisers that refused and said that the army was capable of erradicating bh.that is the main reason baba has been quite all along but with his recent pronouncement it cant be unconnected with the very recent meeting baba had with the bayelsa gov at otta where the gov pleaded with baba to help gej on pressing national issues
Re: Obasanjo To Boko-Haram: “You Can Never Win This War” by redsun(m): 10:28am On Sep 15, 2012
I wish the socalled boko haram can just focus and get rid of the animal,obj personally.With people like him out of the way,nigeria may eventually be on the cause for rationality and sanity.

As long as people like obj remain relevant in nigeria,not made to pay for their atrocities,nigeria will remain a rogue state and demons like socalled bokoharam,kidnapping,brutal robberies and corruption will reign.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Military Unlikely To Crush Boko Haram By December Deadline - ThisDay / Buhari’s Many Failed Promises - Vangaurd / Nnia Nwodo Emerges Ohanaeze President-General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.