Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,037 members, 7,835,498 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? (21796 Views)

Toddler Dies After Eating Poisoned Rice (pictures Of Suspects) / Five Confirmed Dead After Eating Dog Meat In Rivers / My Experience After Eating In A Fast Food::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by iceland(m): 1:46pm On Jan 19, 2008
Saluscs:

it depend on how the bean is cooked cool
You must be one olodo!couldnt u read that it's not about cooking? read below!
http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/facts/hhpfacts/FS-PeasBlack-eyedDry.pdf
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2008
naijaking1:

My brother, we just dey exchange ideas. No big deal.

Your referrence link was about red beans, not our popular blackeye pea or 'beans'. I know there are at least 100 species of beans, both poisnous and edible.

Personally, I have never eaten red beans, but I know people who have. My grand-mother would tell us about some type of beans they were forced to eat as kids because of hunger, "we soaked it for 4 days, cooked it for 24 hours, and had the dog taste it before we did" My discussion is focused on blackeye pea, because some species of beans could kill you.

Another point with your ref. was that it was an experiment in mice- now, you know that man and mice don't share similar diet, colonic anatomy, or even social influence of excessive gas production-farting.

Naijaking thank you very much. Nothing de happen as you said.
I have never disputed the nutritional value of beans. have not also disputed that gas production from bacterial break down beans is not normal, in fact I did say it is not disputable.

If you take a closer look at the first link I posted, you will see that it said that red beans has the greatest amount of lecitin (phytoaglutinin) and even gave you the percentage of lecithin in white beans(black eyed pea) which you are talking about. They all contain this guy.

Although we all know that when we soak beans or boil it for a while and discard the water, the extent of diarrhoea reduces, look the link from FDA as was posted above
http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/facts/hhpfacts/FS-PeasBlack-eyedDry.pdf
In all the methods of preparation, they advised that you soak or boil for a while a remove the. I do not think it is the fiber that is meant to be removed with the water. I guess it is the chemical that causes the wahala. How you see ma point? cheesy

From a surgical point of view, any agent that induces colonic diarheae also activates the lymphocytes lining the colons, not just with beans.

Diarheae or not, the most important point is moderation. There are different types of fiber-soluble and insoluble, but they produce same effect- makes you go.

Have you ever wondered why beans is always on the menu of institutionalized settings- prisons, hospitals, boarding schools? Despite the bad name, it's the only cheaply available food that has been found to ward off malnutrition.

Many people don't know, I too didn't know when I was in boarding house at Nike Boys, we thought that Wednesday and Saturday beans was a punishment sent directly from hell.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by chibaby5(f): 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2008
lol, this thrend is rulling it man! gosh!!!!!!!! i waz laffin ma head off when i saw it n i just cudn't resist. well, all i have 2 say is, in ma own opinion o, dat is the job of beans really lol. ah ah, we all knw dat nw. wash am properly or not, u have to misbehave one way or d oda either breakin wind or doin d real ting lol, dat is ma opinion o. bless y'all
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2008
Chi baby,
what is breaking the wind? wink
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by chibaby5(f): 6:39pm On Jan 19, 2008
na mess ma broda. b4 nko lol,
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 7:42pm On Jan 19, 2008
chi-baby:

na mess ma brother. before nko lol,

Aaahh! I should have known.lol
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by WesleyanA(f): 8:22pm On Jan 19, 2008
beans is a good source of dietary FIBER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber#Sources_of_fiber

fiber is actually very good for the body. just don't consume too much. A lot of Americans don't get enough so they have constipation and have to take medication and drugs to make them stool. what you can naturally get from food like beans.

so count your blessings tongue
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 19, 2008
too many lecturers, i wonder who's idea we go buy
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 11:24pm On Jan 19, 2008
webdezzi:

too many lecturers, i wonder who's idea we go buy

Eat beans. It is good for you. I defy all the discomforts and still eat it and I think my tommy is getting to terms with that. lol
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by naijaking1: 11:51pm On Jan 19, 2008
faketan:

Eat beans. It is good for you. I defy all the discomforts and still eat it and I think my tommy is getting to terms with that. lol

Me too, but with moderation.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by akara(m): 9:44am On Jan 20, 2008
@Poster

you talk of the stooling, you forget the atomic bombs that blows out free willingly 24hours afterwards.

Just add plenty of onions, usually helps.

cool
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 20, 2008
I thank god say oyinbo nor dey hear too much smell.
I go continue with my beans and to fart with style!  grin
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 20, 2008
Very interesting topic, from xperience anyway, i can say eating raw beans stored in d freezer b4 cooking is beta than d one nt. Then, beans are legumes, upon ingestion, they are broken by bacteria which we all hv in our intestines, perfectly normal. product is ammonia gas among other products. d gas causes ur MESS, stimulates increased bowel movement, ur POO-POO, some may hav abdominal cramps,
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 4:53pm On Jan 20, 2008
lmfao
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by ojujucala: 5:25pm On Jan 20, 2008
What in Gods earth is stooling and messing, would you guys possibly be talking about taking a shit, leaving a dump, doing #2, squeezing one off, and for the messing, if you mean fart, just say it 'fart", or passing gas, or flatulance, or ripping one, or blowing a fart, or letting it rip, or flying a fart,. Now thats how we say it here in the states.   

@datnigadaz…,  Who are the you that say flatulence?  The 2nd class of the 2nd class citizens or who? If people call it fart in the states ( and which states are you talking about?,  Cross River, Benue or Bauchi states?) well we in Nigeria call it mess!!

Beans is synonymous with mess, dirty mess i mean thats why i will never eat beans and i don't mess beleive me. Unless good mess that can serve as perfume in some quaters.

@ presido 1

presido1 Maybe you should check your facts. People who eat eggs and meat have smellier mess than peole who eat beans.

What makes your mess (farts) stink is the small amounts of hydrogen sulfide gas and mercaptans inside the mixture coming out from your body. These compounds contain sulfur. Nitrogen-rich compounds also add to the stench of your mess.

The more sulfur-rich your diet is the more sulfides and mercaptans will be produced by the bacteria in your intestines, and the more mercaptans the more smelly will be your mess.

Foods such as cauliflower,eggs and meat are the worst for producing smelly "messing" whereas when you eat BEANS,  you produce alot of air that is not as smelly as that of meat and eggs.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by ojujucala: 5:33pm On Jan 20, 2008
If you and I are better than the present and past leaders, Naija go good

@ faketan

I just saw your post and i like what you say about if you and I are better than the present and past leaders Naija go good. Keep it up .

YOUR SPECIAL INVITATION

I would like to personally invite you and other proactive nairalanders  to join a select group of well meaning
Nigerians as we come together to discuss, share ideas
and give practical suggestions about how we can make
Nigeria a better place. Click here
www.successdigestnigeria.com/forum  and give your own
advice. Register today to make your contribution to the discussion. Registration is F.REE.

As you make your suggestions please no complaints, no acrimony, no hatred, no excuses, no blaming of anybody, only honest & practical
suggestions. You can make a difference. Be a part of the solution. LETS MAKE NIGERIA A BETTER PLACE. Visit
www.successdigestnigeria.com/forum  and give your own
suggestions.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by naijaking1: 3:40am On Jan 21, 2008
There's something to be said about methods of preparation and the sysmptoms.

Eating moi-moi, and akara which are made from beans don't seem to cause so much stooling and excessive gas.

Maybe eating beans in this form causes us to eat less and avoid the outer-coating--- which maybe contributing to fiber.

Can't wait to hear from a registered nutritionist or dietician.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Kemjisuper(m): 12:31pm On Jan 21, 2008
Hey y'all
I think the beans issue is really about your digestive system . I personally don't have any issues with beans, no matter how well or badly cooked it may be. Back in secondary school hostel, we were fed beans 7 days a week in varying mixtures and we were forced to like it or leave it.

For those who have a problem with beans, I believe it's just best to avoid it. In fact, during my NYSC camp, I discovered that it was only on days when beans was served that plenty of food was left-over. We (the beans likers grin ) were usually told to serve ourselves on such days so as to avoid wastage. Trust me wink I usually ate my fill and much more!

Really, one man's meat is another man's poison - simple as that!

Cheers
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by shebaby20: 1:38pm On Jan 21, 2008
Beans as it is said it a very good and rich classes of food.so og on nd eat beans ok
hello guys
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by realdemi(f): 2:16pm On Jan 21, 2008
naijaking1:

There's something to be said about methods of preparation and the sysmptoms.

Eating moi-moi, and akara which are made from beans don't seem to cause so much stooling and excessive gas.

Maybe eating beans in this form causes us to eat less and avoid the outer-coating--- which maybe contributing to fiber.

LOL.

I agree that beans is extra hard work for some people's digestive sysytem beacsue i realize that it's not everybody that stools after eating beans. What i mean is that some bowels move on a normal level and fart (very normal) but a sizeable amount of people have running stomach (diarrhoea) after beans.

I also concur to cooking method making a difference, no matter what some people say. i grew up hating beans even though my mum would insist and i wouldnt have a choice but to eat but my system's intolerance grew by the day. By the time i was in Secondary school, i couldn't eat beans without extreme diarrhoea so i stopped eating it.
However, rescue came after my NYSC, while i was undergoing my 2nd degree. My roommate used to wonder why i never liked beans but i was a bit adventurous and tried eating beans she cooked about twice and i didn't stool. I was surprisesd and thought it was coincidence. Somehow, i later discovered that she drains the water from the beans after it has boiled for like 30-40 mins, then pour fresh water with lots of onion. And that's how i've been cooking beans since. No more shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii**ing.  Peace!!! grin grin. Now, it just moves my bowels normally.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by faketan(m): 3:08pm On Jan 21, 2008
real_demi:

LOL.

I agree that beans is extra hard work for some people's digestive sysytem beacsue i realize that it's not everybody that stools after eating beans. What i mean is that some bowels move on a normal level and fart (very normal) but a sizeable amount of people have running stomach (diarrhoea) after beans.

I also concur to cooking method making a difference, no matter what some people say. i grew up hating beans even though my mum would insist and i wouldnt have a choice but to eat but my system's intolerance grew by the day. By the time i was in Secondary school, i couldn't eat beans without extreme diarrhoea so i stopped eating it.
However, rescue came after my NYSC, while i was undergoing my 2nd degree. My roommate used to wonder why i never liked beans but i was a bit adventurous and tried eating beans she cooked about twice and i didn't stool. I was surprisesd and thought it was coincidence. Somehow, i later discovered that she drains the water from the beans after it has boiled for like 30-40 mins, then pour fresh water with lots of onion. And that's how i've been cooking beans since. No more shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii**ing. Peace!!! grin grin. Now, it just moves my bowels normally.

The phytohaemaglutinin in beans is activated in beans that is not well cooked. So at the half-done level 30-40 minutes, the most of it might be in solution and that is removed when the water is drained.

It si known that when the beans is well done without draining, the amount of the lectin could be reduced from 20, 000 hau to 200 hau(hau is the unit of measurement). This is understandable since lectin is a glycoprotein and may be denatured by by heat. So if proper cooking could reduce the concentration 1000fold, when most of the compound is removed in the drained water, the remaining can possible be takien care of by proper cooking. That is what I think.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2008
Just like the Omo advert says " Dirt is good", so i say "fart is good," so leave story grin
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by la1(m): 4:26pm On Jan 21, 2008
beans gives me heart-burn
hate beans tongue
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by chibaby5(f): 4:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
la!:

beans gives me heart-burn
hate beans tongue
well dat's yo opinion but i must tell u u're missing alot lol, bless
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by ty4real(m): 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2008
E wa James eeeee, Jmaes ewa
Ewa ti kolepo
Ewa ti kolata ,ewa
Ewa James ooooooo,eee James ewa
Na dt kind beans dey make person alti iyagbe men!
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by sley4life(m): 9:50pm On Jan 21, 2008
Why be say our things for this country no dey go right, We wan eat protenious food wey go belle full us, after we eat am na mess we go dey mess. I don tire for beans because of the negative effect. If i wan go work interview i no need eat beans because i go loose the job because the room wey dem de conduct the interview go dey smell mess. Beans mess de smell pass other food mess. The mess be like say na spoilt food we dey eat. If i invite babe come my end i no need to eat beans before she come my house because i go loose her consent and her likeness for me, Make Scientist find solution of avoiding mess and stool when we eat beans. The shit wey dey come out after eating beans dey smell pass gutter.
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Petname(m): 11:40am On Jan 22, 2008
This does not apply to all people and it depends on the kind of beans, and the mode of preparation.

Thanks. wink
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by denony(m): 11:42am On Jan 22, 2008
It depends on body system, I can take means very comfortably, no stooling no mess (passing out gas)

If you discovers that you often stool of mess everywhere after taking beans grin then eat beans with agege bread for hold up oooooo (I mean wage) .  wink
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by Petname(m): 11:43am On Jan 22, 2008
Petname:

This does not apply to all people and it depends on the kind of beans, and the mode of preparation.

Thanks. wink
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by omodada1: 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2008
u never sabi chop proper o. try dey put "weed" from start of cooking. dem, its crazy but you will not do '102' becareful cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by chibaby5(f): 10:14pm On Jan 22, 2008
ty4real:

E wa James eeeee, Jmaes ewa
Ewa ti kolepo
Ewa ti kolata ,ewa
Ewa James ooooooo,eee James ewa
Na dt kind beans dey make person alti iyagbe men!
ummm, sorry but wat u tryna say here?
Re: Why Do People Stool After Eating Beans? by chibaby5(f): 10:18pm On Jan 22, 2008
sley4life:

Why be say our things for this country no dey go right, We wan eat protenious food wey go belle full us, after we eat am na mess we go dey mess. I don tire for beans because of the negative effect. If i wan go work interview i no need eat beans because i go loose the job because the room wey them de conduct the interview go dey smell mess. Beans mess de smell pass other food mess. The mess be like say na spoilt food we dey eat. If i invite babe come my end i no need to eat beans before she come my house because i go loose her consent and her likeness for me, Make Scientist find solution of avoiding mess and stool when we eat beans. The shit wey dey come out after eating beans dey smell pass gutter.
ma broda ds is funny man! i cudn't stop laffin afta reading yo post. they are talkin bwt coking properly but hey it doesn't matter. beans na beans and stll has 2 fulfil its responsibilities and i guess we all knw wat dat is,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Ways Instant Noodles Can Kill You. / How To Prepare Asaro (Yam Porridge) / Pls What Else Can I Use To Grind Beans For Moi Moi Apart From Grinding Machine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.