Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? (2509 Views)

My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA / Nigeria’s Economy Could Slip Into Recession, CBN Warns / If Usa Goes Into Recession: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Jan 16, 2008
Depilot:

i'm a young man sir, and i'm not even a nigerian. my discussion on this issue is based on what is going on in my own country today. as you've stated "If you ask many in here who were alive 20 years ago, they will give you the same line that Nigeria had a better and clearer future back then if the leaders were serious and look at Nigeria 20 years later" don't you think that it takes 2 or 4 people to change things around for better? don't you think that when you run to another country for a better life means your country will forever remain at the same point? if many were willing to stay strong and hang in there for things to get better jjust like you've recommended regarding america and recession, nigeria would have been a better country today. what you're saying here is "it is ok to stay cool in america for things to get better, but it is not cool to contribute towards reforming nigeria.
the choice belongs to everybody, like have said before different situation for everybody. but i will rather assist in reforming my country than hanging in there in america while they finish the 2 wars and start another one.

unemployment rate, iraq war, afghanistan war, *iran war, mortgage crisis, foreclosure, gas price, heating oil price, organizations moving to china/ Vietnamese, organization outsourcing in india, crime rate, everlasting terrorist problem, constant racial discrimination, food price and more
these problems sound like nothing, but americans are known not to deal with problems like these very well.

You are not a Nigeria but you are speaking boldy for Nigeria?? Ok.

Uuuummm,  The people in Nigeria are enough to change the country. Nigeria DOES NOT NEED the people outside of Nigeria now to run back home in fear of recession to change Nigeria. Infact, chances are those who run in fear will run again if they run into walls in Nigeria, so again, the logic that it is ok to get up and run cause of fears of a recession is still not logical. Please learn to know the difference between progress and fear. If you ship home more people who move out of fear, you will more than likely sink Nigeria and not build it.

I ask you to please not follow sensationalists in the way they view issues and actually do research on own to find out what is actually going on around you. Read up on recent news from iraq. Do not focus on the numbers of those who have been killed but actual lives of iraqis and how far the war has come there.

About the housing bubble that burst, get the numbers right please. While there are many loosing their houses, there are still people purchasing new properties even though those numbers are not being in the media reports. This is not the first time and will likely not be the last time. I have two friends who are already signing papers for their new place this year and I am already working on mine in september. Crime Rate in America has not really surged as you may think, yes it is high, and has remained so for decades and it has yet to be a problem to this day to the economy. Gas price?? I think when you consider that the average american can still afford a gallon of
  gas speaks volumes. Fearmongers forecasted that once the price reached 3 dollars, people would have serious problems, that has not even stopped people at all. It is people living in places like Nigeria that suffer the cost at the end of the day cause many more are not able to afford the hike than those here. I think you pay too much attention to the media and their sensationalism and not to what is actually happening on the ground.

I happen to live here in America and things seem to be going really well in my industry. New job opportunities and we are looking for more and more people in the field to handle new jobs that seem to be popping up here and there. Fearmongering is one thing the media is good at but if you really want to learn of what is really going on, look at the lives of the average americans to understand what the problem may be and what the future really may be.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Depilot(m): 9:34pm On Jan 16, 2008
ok, let us hope things will get better everywhere. may be you're right, but i see fantasy world in your post. just because everything seems to be jolly for you doesn't mean it is the same way for everybody else. i happen to have the opportunity to visit many cities all over the world weekly and i know what people are saying and what they are going through on a daily basis. even the mexicans are returning back to their country, indians and africans are starting to do the same. so, i have problem understanding this play station fantasy world of yours, but who knows, may be you're right. it is clear to the whole world that america is in deep hot soup and it will be smart to be very careful because we do not know what tomorrow will bring.

good luck.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Jan 17, 2008
Depilot:

ok, let us hope things will get better everywhere. may be you're right, but i see fantasy world in your post. just because everything seems to be jolly for you doesn't mean it is the same way for everybody else. i happen to have the opportunity to visit many cities all over the world weekly and i know what people are saying and what they are going through on a daily basis. even the mexicans are returning back to their country, indians and africans are starting to do the same. so, i have problem understanding this play station fantasy world of yours, but who knows, may be you're right. it is clear to the whole world that america is in deep hot soup and it will be smart to be very careful because we do not know what tomorrow will bring.

good luck.

So your fantasy that Nigeria will get better in two minutes for those who run off to Nigeria in fear of recession in america completely alludes you? Things are not jolly in America does not mean it is best to run back to Nigeria. Infact, running in fear, one should run to canada or even europe but not Nigeria cause like I said the last thing that country needs is a bunch of people who are so easily swayed by fear cause if this recession hits Nigeria, they will run and run fast too. This "assumed" exodus you claim I have not heard of. You mean America should abandon it's need to do something about the immigration problems cause all the mexicans are running back?? Where do you live?? I don't believe the whole world shares the same idea of deep hot soup as you do. I happen to have friends who live around the world who are right now looking for ways to get at the cheap stuff available to them in America and you believe the whole world is afraid of america?? I think this fear of yours is not based on actual situation but on what some idea of how things work in your world. If America does not recover in a year from a recession, Nigeria is still not the best place for anyone to go to, infact it is better for the person to move to Canada than to run to Nigeria out of fear. Please look at things with your eyes open. Your delusion that Nigeria is going to change in 2 minutes has been shown over and over to be based on nothing but fantasy. Nigeria is not looking for people to continue to mouth off over and over about how great it could be if other people do this and that. That has been one of the main problems. Everyone else wants everyone else to do it but not many actually do there part realising that it does not take the world but just a few who are already there to make things happen.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Depilot(m): 1:45am On Jan 17, 2008
good luck.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kobojunkie: 1:57am On Jan 17, 2008
Depilot:

good luck.

Goodluck to you and those who you advise to run away, I don't need luck. I am not quiting my job to run anywhere and I am not afraid of what is to come. I have God on my side so no matter what happens, I am fine right where God has me.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Tornadoz(m): 5:06am On Jan 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie
Sorry to break the news to you but the entire F@cking planent knows America is deep in recession.
Your proclivity is obvious to any one who reads your post. Your penchant for everything American is rivaled only by messrs davidylan, I-man and Tayo-D.

I have God on my side so no matter what happens, I am fine right where God has me.
So millions of Nigerian Christians don't have God on their side is it? Anyway good to know God sent you to (of all countries) America. Do me a favour, join your fellow acolytes in the religion section.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by debosky(m): 5:15am On Jan 17, 2008
'in deep recession' huh?

seems you're way smarter than the whole world put together, last two quarters still showed positive growth even if low. . .unless it is by the 'Tornadoz definition of recession' I don't know or understand the recession that the US is 'deep in' grin

The fact remains that, as I-man astutely noted, recessions are part of the growth cycle, they are needed to correct unhealthy trends, so further growth can go on. So i'm assuming you support mass re-migration back to Africa because of the recession eh?

make dem come join the wahala for naija, you can't even quantify the economic contraction that the nation has suffered between the 70's and now. . . thank goodness for some determined farmers, GSM and oil for keeping the 'growth rate' positive for the past few years, on paper at least.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On Jan 17, 2008
Tornadoz:

@Kobojunkie
Sorry to break the news to you but the entire F@cking planent knows America is deep in recession.
Your proclivity is obvious to any one who reads your post. Your penchant for everything American is rivaled only by messrs davidylan, I-man and Tayo-D.
So millions of Nigerian Christians don't have God on their side is it? Anyway good to know God sent you to (of all countries) America. Do me a favour, join your fellow acolytes in the religion section.

Well,  glad you live in the Twilight zone. By the way, if you have no idea what I mean when I say I do not need luck cause I have God, at least ask. Not go off running your mouth off like an slowpoke.

The same dude who has been claiming it is right for Nigerians to flee america to Nigeria is the same dude who goes to another thread to post this. Now tell me if you can not see what is wrong with his analysis in the one case since it seems, in his bias, he could not apply same to the other case.

Depilot (m)
Liberia

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa!
« #6 on: Yesterday at 04:34:27 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nigeria is still the giant of Africa. it is common for every country to go through rough period, during this period you will experience inflation, deflation and may be recession, but this doesn't mean that this country is dead. with time and serious minded government things usually return to normal. ghana went through their own period and america may also be experiencing the same economic stage. this stage is also called restructuring stage, which at one point every country will see. it is too early and not advisable to compare ghana to nigeria at this point. nigeria is full of resources and has the best potential to return very strong. 

Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Oyelad(m): 10:09am On Jan 17, 2008
[[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]font=Lucida Sans Unicode]What this credit collapse has done, so tragically, is trigger one of the biggest stock declines in market history… increase borrowing costs… shrink profit margins… panic investors… and raise fear of global economic collapse.[/font][/font]

In an economy where easy money and low interest rates have been the driving force behind the wealth boom of the past five years, the repercussions are going to be quite dramatic. Not just here in the U.S., but in all four corners of the Earth.

The reality is beginnig to dawn on the US economy, and those tied to it directly.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Tornadoz(m): 11:33am On Jan 17, 2008
@debosky
I see you're as scared of the 'R' word as George Bush. Considering what leading financial institutions (morgan stanley etc) have been saying for months about the US economy, you would have to be on a different planent to have missed it. My humble advice is to take a radio with you on your next odyssey to space.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kashif(m): 1:16pm On Jan 17, 2008
Anybody who believes his country has no hope and opts to 'recess' in another man's country never belonged to his country. Woe to he who tarries in Egypt!

Imagine the 'no, I prefer to die here to returning to naija'. Nigeria hear that!!!!! and have mercy on them when the time comes. If Americans left their country during the depression and migrated to 'greener' pastures, I wonder who would have put that 'eldorado' together. We always want to have it easy grin grin angry

Strictly Naija!
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Depilot(m): 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2008
hi kobojunkies,
again, i'm not comparing america to nigeria. this is not my point and i do not understand why you continue to mix things up. my point is simple and clear, if you think it is not feasible to survive in america during this difficult period, why not come back home and see what you can do, you just don't know the scope of your capability in africa till you actually taste the market. recession in america could even indirectly favour many african countries. america is not what it used to be. america is beautiful, but no matter how much you try you will mostly be seen as under-dog and you will always have an invisible limitation. the younger generation all over africa are being encouraged to participate and contribute to the best of their abilities. praise god things are changing and will continue to change for better. if every african run or should i say escape like many of my brothers and sisters, it means the future of africa is in limbo. it is time to start looking at africa as a land of honey. just give it a try and apply for jobs in africa, you will not believe how many opportunities are out there. your american education can take you far in africa.
do not get carried away with your 80,000 dollars salary, 600,000 dollars 30 year mortgage, 50,000 dollars 5 year car note and 10 different credit card. this is called play station fantasy land. checkout africa and fight hard for what is yours. it bothers me to see how many white people from america and europe that continue to relocate to africa while my brothers and sisters continue to think life is good in america. praise god, i've seen it all from very successful (very rich) to very poor, life is not what you think. america is in deep hot soup, and for how long, nobody knows.
again, kobojunkies, good luck.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Jan 17, 2008
Depilot:

hi kobojunkies,
again, i'm not comparing america to nigeria. this is not my point and i do not understand why you continue to mix things up. my point is simple and clear, if you think it is not feasible to survive in america during this difficult period, why not come back home and see what you can do, you just don't know the scope of your capability in africa till you actually taste the market. recession in america could even indirectly favour many african countries. america is not what it used to be. america is beautiful, but no matter how much you try you will mostly be seen as under-dog and you will always have an invisible limitation. the younger generation all over africa are being encouraged to participate and contribute to the best of their abilities. praise god things are changing and will continue to change for better. if every african run or should i say escape like many of my brothers and sisters, it means the future of africa is in limbo. it is time to start looking at africa as a land of honey. just give it a try and apply for jobs in africa, you will not believe how many opportunities are out there. your american education can take you far in africa.
do not get carried away with your 80,000 dollars salary, 600,000 dollars 30 year mortgage, 50,000 dollars 5 year car note and 10 different credit card. this is called play station fantasy land. checkout africa and fight hard for what is yours. it bothers me to see how many white people from america and europe that continue to relocate to africa while my brothers and sisters continue to think life is good in america. praise god, i've seen it all from very successful (very rich) to very poor, life is not what you think. america is in deep hot soup, and for how long, nobody knows.
again, kobojunkies, good luck.

sigh!!!!

Assuming that just cause you hear the word "RECESSION" up in the air means everyone is suffering is ignorance. For those trying to use the bible for their backup, I suggest you also cling to the portion that tells you not to make things up in your bid to claim you are right and others are wrong. If you do not live n america currently, I do not expect you to understand but maybe this would be a good time for you to actually take a trip into the country itself and you might understand why those who live in america are not all screaming and running at all. Wisdom comes in handy when all you hear spells doom but those who live it tell you it is not necessarily the case.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Depilot(m): 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2008
hon dimaji bankole is one of my favorite nigerians today. he is a great symbol of hope.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Depilot(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2008
sigh!!!!

Assuming that just cause you hear the word "RECESSION" up in the air means everyone is suffering is ignorance. For those trying to use the bible for their backup, I suggest you also cling to the portion that tells you not to make things up in your bid to claim you are right and others are wrong. If you do not live n america currently, I do not expect you to understand but maybe this would be a good time for you to actually take a trip into the country itself and you might understand why those who live in america are not all screaming and running at all. Wisdom comes in handy when all you hear spells doom but those who live it tell you it is not necessarily the case.

hi kobojunkies: may be this is the perfect time to tell you that i was born in america (definitely not a big deal) and i've spent a good part of my life in america, but still it takes more than just glamorous and fantasy life style in columbus, oh of all places to move me. i'm just not impressed by any of these beautiful stuff that got you stuck in america . it is all in our state of mind, there is nothing that is possible for me in america that is not twice feasible for me to accomplish in africa. i'm not only focusing on heavily successful people like you kobojunkies. the message is for the ones that continue to work very hard for 23 hrs out of 24 hrs available daily, all for the sake of holy bills and still think one can not make it anywhere else but america. this isn't true. africans can achieve more in africa if you're serious. with serious minded people in place as leaders, very soon africans wouldn't need to escape from africa anymore and i see many more returning back home one by one. i find it difficult to understand why africans are running out of africa, but white people from everywhere are running into africa, try to make africa thier newly discovered home and teaching us half of the things we already know. something is not right with this picture. hon dimaji bankole is the beginning and i see more to come.
again, good luck to you kobojunkies
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Iman3(m): 1:41am On Jan 22, 2008
I think the idea that the rest of the world is largely immune to the fallouts of the US slowdown is gradually being put to rest.For those who think escaping from the US will shield them,a prolonged US slowdown will hit the developing world terribly.

Which country is Nigeria's largest trading partner and source of foreign revenue? The United States .
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by Horus(m): 11:47pm On Oct 30, 2009
In Africa we are in the process of creating our own economy. The U.S. economy is not ours, thus neither is the recession it is in, and has nothing to do with us Africans in Africa and in the diaspora. Africans were used to build the U.S. economy, but it is not ours. It is the property of the caucasians. Give it back to them and move on, let us create our own strong African economy by way of our homeland Africa.
Re: Is The Usa Economy Slidding Into Recession? by ololo12: 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2011
@ Depilot.

I have followed all your comment on this thread. I want you say you're on point. I am fully in support with the points you've raised. Very Spot on

If everything shares the same views as you, then Africa will surely be a better place.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Oil Reserve Had Only 43 Years To Dry Up / Bank Marketers And Meeting Targets / Can 150,000 Start A Business In This Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.