Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,224 members, 7,836,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions (21304 Views)

Prayers That Break Curses And Destroys Ancestral Spirits. / Silly Modern Africans Who Mock The Ancestral Sango. / Destroying Ancestral Altars/agents (1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Rossikk(m): 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
ekt_bear: I dunno. The human sacrifice stuff in my ancestral religion is a big part of the reason my ancestor (great-grandfather? or maybe great-great) abandoned it for Christianity.

This sounds like a lie you invented to defend your imported christian faith. What proof do you have of this claim? You don't even know if it was your great grandfather or great great grandfather, yet you 'know' that this same person rejected his ancestral religion for christianity ''because of this human sacrifice stuff''. The real truth of course is that most of our ancestors adopted christianity because all public resources were diverted by the new colonial rulers to those who embraced christianity, those who partook of the new dispensation by attending missionary schools and becoming 'western educated'. The first thing you did upon entering missionary schools was abandon your traditional religion, which was dismissed as savage and heathen by the christian priests who ran them. So if you wished yourself and children to 'do well' under the new colonial system, you HAD to abandon your religion. So it was an economic decision, one based on the sheer necessity for survival, that made Africans gradually abandon their ancient faiths for christianity. I am VERY CERTAIN that those were the considerations playing your ancestor's mind in his decision, and most certainly not ''this human sacrifice stuff''.

One more thing, the incidence of ''human sacrifice'' in African religion was NOT AT ALL common to all African religions at all times. Many, many communities throughout Africa knew no such practice. Where it was known, it was a rarity, occurring perhaps once a year in a given community. It was merely a feature which the colonialists noted in one or two communities and then expanded in their reports to include ALL African religion. Reason? To justify their looting of the continent predicated on their purported ''civilizational'' mission.

1 Like

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Revolva(m): 3:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Liar. There is no record of slavery in West Africa before foriegners. Prisoners of war were beheaded or killed. In my village, it is called efa. In the past, enemy tribes were sacrificed or killed. Slaves were never sold as a commodity.

Farm labour came from the wives and the many children of men in those days. Why would we need slaves? Even the king had servants and the servants had their own living quarters and did not serve in chains where I come from in Niger delta.

Keep lying against you ancestors to protect your foriegn religion
Truth talk jare don't mind all of them even the written text book they have read about history is partially correct .the westerners jave elements they put together in education to confuse us also - to also make us believe that there were slave trades existing before they came - haba lies --africa is lost in his own history
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by MacDaddy01: 3:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
Revolva:
Truth talk jare don't mind all of them even the written text book they have read about history is partially correct .the westerners jave elements they put together in education to confuse us also - to also make us believe that there were slave trades existing before they came - haba lies --africa is lost in his own history

Yep. It is a sad case where an African will insult his history just to defend a foreign religion

1 Like

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Olaone1: 3:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
Something tells me Rossikke is a professor of African Studies/Renaissance somewhere in SS.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by capricon: 4:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
wirinet:

My friend you lie or you are simply ignorant. Let me repeat load and clear "THERE WERE NO WARS IN BLACK AFRICA BEFORE THE COMING OF THE WHITE MAN - ARABS AND EUROPEANS". Even the wikipedia link you provided shows islamic influences in the first empires in black africa - songhai, mali and kanem bornu empires.

The Benin and Oyo empires were the influenced by the Europeans, who armed the kings to the detriment of their neighbours, first for slave trade and later for agricultural trade.

Before the white man came an african had no need to conquer and dominate his neighbour. That was why we had so many small tribes cohabiting within a small geographical space.

So please give me just one example of pre-arab/european war in black africa.

I will assume you are one of these things
1. you are young and ignorant

2. All u do with yourself is drink, party and chase after women just to satisfy ur urge

3. illiterate

well let me give a little home work. Go and read about the OYO empire and their wars with the NUPE and DAHOMEY kingdom and even the rebellion of EGBAS from the oppressive OYO kingdom.

pls do not reply till you have read it.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by alanmwene: 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tisa: I can't help but wonder how nigeria n nigerians will be if we had held on to the religions of our ancestors rather than the two imported religions that has given way to the prevalence or everything bad in our societies.

I know we will want to say things like "God forbid" but truly most of the evils happening today would not be happening if people know they will receive instant judgment from the likes of Sango, Ayelala, Ogun, Amadioha etc. Imagine a pastor violating an 11yrs old girl in the name of deliverance or the common wasting of lives in the name of money rituals. I know in Yoruba land that if someone was killed unlawfully by another person, the family of the dead can summon the spirit of the dead relative to go torment n kill those that committed such evil against it hence hearing of people being killed in those days was rare but these days the family of the dead will "leave it to God to Judge".

I think all this looting by our politicians, robbing of innocent motorists by latsma or is it lastma, ritual killings, religious robbery etc are all common cos the perpetrators know they can ask GOD for forgiveness b4 they die and will be forgiven hence d dead person died in vain.

What do u guys think? I think we shd retrace our steps cos it seems these two imported religions doesn't suit us.

Please I want us to debate this as matured people. Make ur case with good points and don't let's resort to abusing ourselves. We need to move forward as a people. Since I was a todler people ve been hoping nigeria will get better, praying and fasting and now as old as I am we are still praying and fasting, that's 2 generations o. It shd n MUST stop!

Thanks.
Cure the inferiority complex in african people mind!The voodon freed haitians when christianity was oppressing them.But jesus is still the "savior" of haitians.Talking about low IQ!
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by hakymbiyiyaho: 5:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
[quote author=Tisa]
I know we will want to say things like "God forbid" but truly most of the evils happening today would not be happening if people know they will receive instant judgment from the likes of Sango, Ayelala, Ogun, Amadioha etc. Imagine a pastor violating an 11yrs old girl in the name of deliverance or the common wasting of lives in the name of money rituals. I know in Yoruba land that if someone was killed unlawfully by another person, the family of the dead can summon the spirit of the dead relative to go torment n kill those that committed such evil against it hence hearing of people being killed in those days was rare but these days the family of the dead will "leave it to God to Judge".

I think all this looting by our politicians, robbing of innocent motorists by latsma or is it lastma, ritual killings, religious robbery etc are all common cos the perpetrators know they can ask GOD for forgiveness b4 they die and will be forgiven hence d dead person died in vain.

What do u guys think? I think we shd retrace our steps cos it seems these two imported religions doesn't suit us.

By my own understanding and what have seen so far the ancestral religion was good but cruel and somehow partial in judgement that is why a yoruba addage says "OGUN NII SI NI MU, EPE KII SI NI JA" (The war kills innocents by mistake but curses never act on tye innocent)as i can translate it.It is no doubt that ppl do appease the gods for their wrong doings in those days to avoid any reaction from them while we also do thesame in todays religion but mostly these gods do nothing to defaulters except they were being sent or molested in the name of the person to be punished.
Like somebody going as far as pouring salt on the head/ the shrine of ESU (devil)instead of oil that should be its food in the name of another man.

So, even if our politician swear with the calabash of blood in their hands and later commited breach of that oath, nothing will happen to them except that we take action by that same thing he uses during his swearing in, like wise today when ppl carry coffin bcs of IBB,OBJ&GEJ to chase them out of office or kill them. These are the set of ppl who use todays scripture such as bible and quran so what are we saying.

The imported religions is as good as given us clothes, shoes, houses, some other lively things and also created cultural and social integration amongst the nation of the world if well understood. Those who brought these religions are very intelligent and of good behaviour worth of emulation bt we have received it only to bastardized it as well. If you ask me how

1)The catholic ladies are so holy that no one among them ever interact with man for sex or agitation for child bearing.But in our own case we have hundreds of them who are good mothers of one, two or more children.

2) Saudi Arabia don't kill you if you are not a muslim in their country but try to obey the rules and regulation meant for you. But in
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by hakymbiyiyaho: 5:04pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tisa: I can't help but wonder how nigeria n nigerians will be if we had held on to the religions of our ancestors rather than the two imported religions that has given way to the prevalence or everything bad in our societies.

Please I want us to debate this as matured people. Make ur case with good points and don't let's resort to abusing ourselves. We need to move forward as a people. Since I was a todler people ve been hoping nigeria will get better, praying and fasting and now as old as I am we are still praying and fasting, that's 2 generations o. It shd n MUST stop!

Thanks.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by wirinet(m): 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
capricon:

I will assume you are one of these things
1. you are young and ignorant

2. All u do with yourself is drink, party and chase after women just to satisfy ur urge

3. illiterate

well let me give a little home work. Go and read about the OYO empire and their wars with the NUPE and DAHOMEY kingdom and even the rebellion of EGBAS from the oppressive OYO kingdom.

pls do not reply till you have read it.

I am perplex by your post above, it does not qualify as a debate or argument. It is just an incoherent blabber. You left the topic at hand and started blabbing nonsense.

Let me respond to your personal attacks.
1. I am not young and anything but ignorant. I am sure i am older and more educated than you. I hold a masters degree in architecture, i studied extensively histories of african societies through their architecture. So i appreciate arab and european influences on our culture much more than you could ever do.

2. I honestly do not know how you came to these assumptions or how it has any bearing to the topic at hand. Are you sure you did not type the above after an abuse of a banded substance?

3. Repetition of no. 1, so refer to my answer for no. 1.

If you want to educate me that the Oyo empire was created before the coming of the Europeans that is before the 14th century, why not show me the link or refer me to the book. That is what a supposedly educated person would do.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by mko2005: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2012
Martian:

If you want to be a realistic, you will admit that both the preacher and the traditional man are snake oil salesmen using their position and their victims' ignorance and gullibily to carry out their atrocities. Your argument boils down to, "at least the christian preacher only rapes and doesn't kill".

The fact is there is no difference between the ancestral religions and the pathetic ones you people follow now. People like you are always quick to bring up the ignorant acts of the old beliefs, while ignoring the ridiculous antics of your cherished jews and their god in your bible; and the actions of christians in recorded history.
Christianity used to be more barbaric than it is today, just like the ancestral religions of different cultures, so pointing out human sacrificies and the likes as arguments against the old religions is asinine. Just like christianity evolved, the ancestral religions can also evolve. At the end of the day, christianity is bullsh#t, just like the ancestral beliefs are bullsh#t. So get off your high horse, and realise that yahweh is as "unique" as zeus and Amadioha.

A fool has said in his heart that there is no God !
No matter how any true Christian try to convince any one who does not believe to believe in God and follow HIS word(JESUS),may just be a wasted effort.Let the non believer hear you and above all,see you live what you preach and you have done ur own part.Christians shouldn't engage in a heated debate with an on believer.The reason is that you can only win them over by the word of God and the word they don't even want to hear,so how possible?With God all things are possible.No wonder christ asked his disciples to leave any home where they are not welcomed as they go about preaching the good news.You can have a debate with a christian who believes in the bible but still see somethings differently as a result of inadequate study of the word or doctrinal issues and it will be fruitful.
There were people and we still have them today who engage in acts that are far from Christianity or contradicts the word and just becos they attend church or profess Christianity.These guys aren't christians.
I rest my case.God bless you all
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by capricon: 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
wirinet:

I am perplex by your post above, it does not qualify as a debate or argument. It is just an incoherent blabber. You left the topic at hand and started blabbing nonsense.

Let me respond to your personal attacks.
1. I am not young and anything but ignorant. I am sure i am older and more educated than you. I hold a masters degree in architecture, i studied extensively histories of african societies through their architecture. So i appreciate arab and european influences on our culture much more than you could ever do.

2. I honestly do not know how you came to these assumptions or how it has any bearing to the topic at hand. Are you sure you did not type the above after an abuse of a banded substance?

3. Repetition of no. 1, so refer to my answer for no. 1.

If you want to educate me that the Oyo empire was created before the coming of the Europeans that is before the 14th century, why not show me the link or refer me to the book. That is what a supposedly educated person would do.

Mr man why are you taking the lazy route by telling me to provide u with links? do research oga. its even right under your nose.

Even to insinuate that there were no wars btw african tribes before the coming of whites is disgusting.

Even in my own town i have heard of wars being fought over land with neigbouring towns and how slaves were captured and made to serve deities b4 they evey saw whiteman.

pls do the homework i gave u. and i didnt say u should study their buildings.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by MacDaddy01: 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2012
m.k.o2005:

A fool has said in his heart that there is no God !
No matter how any true Christian try to convince any one who does not believe to believe in God and follow HIS word(JESUS),may just be a wasted effort.Let the non believer hear you and above all,see you live what you preach and you have done ur own part.Christians shouldn't engage in a heated debate with an on believer.The reason is that you can only win them over by the word of God and the word they don't even want to hear,so how possible?With God all things are possible.No wonder christ asked his disciples to leave any home where they are not welcomed as they go about preaching the good news.You can have a debate with a christian who believes in the bible but still see somethings differently as a result of inadequate study of the word or doctrinal issues and it will be fruitful.
There were people and we still have them today who engage in acts that are far from Christianity or contradicts the word and just becos they attend church or profess Christianity.These guys aren't christians.
I rest my case.God bless you all

Christard. Christian + Re.tard

What the hell do you mean by "A fool has said in his heart that there is no God !"

Are all atheists fools or is it that you're a bigot?
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by eyantotipe(m): 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
Wey them..the prayer warriors? Wey them..the soul winners? Abi una don tire to win soul? Abeg many unbelievers dey here make una come win souls ;DWey them..the prayer warriors? Wey them..the soul winners? Abi una don tire to win soul? Abeg many unbelievers dey here make una come win souls what pain me most is that they have mislead millions of africa youth instead of encourage them on how to work hard and develop the nation but rather tell them to come to church and pray and sow tithe that jesus will provide everything for them.. even ant know say if him crawl come out for hole go find food na hungry kill am..well i'm so happy say 9ja don dey ja from all this white many theory i tell you in 20yrs time this MONEY MAKING ORGANISATION will be thing of past

1 Like

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by wirinet(m): 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
Afican historians insist that it was Islam that introduced slavery to black Africa while european historians says there was some form of slavery without proof. See the links below for more.

http://africanhistory.about.com/od/slavery/p/SlaveryTypes.htm

http://africanhistory.about.com/od/slavery/tp/TransAtlantic001.htm
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
Rossikk:

This sounds like a lie you invented to defend your imported christian faith. What proof do you have of this claim? You don't even know if it was your great grandfather or great great grandfather, yet you 'know' that this same person rejected his ancestral religion for christianity ''because of this human sacrifice stuff''. The real truth of course is that most of our ancestors adopted christianity because all public resources were diverted by the new colonial rulers to those who embraced christianity, those who partook of the new dispensation by attending missionary schools and becoming 'western educated'. The first thing you did upon entering missionary schools was abandon your traditional religion, which was dismissed as savage and heathen by the christian priests who ran them. So if you wished yourself and children to 'do well' under the new colonial system, you HAD to abandon your religion. So it was an economic decision, one based on the sheer necessity for survival, that made Africans gradually abandon their ancient faiths for christianity. I am VERY CERTAIN that those were the considerations playing your ancestor's mind in his decision, and most certainly not ''this human sacrifice stuff''.

One more thing, the incidence of ''human sacrifice'' in African religion was NOT AT ALL common to all African religions at all times. Many, many communities throughout Africa knew no such practice. Where it was known, it was a rarity, occurring perhaps once a year in a given community. It was merely a feature which the colonialists noted in one or two communities and then expanded in their reports to include ALL African religion. Reason? To justify their looting of the continent predicated on their purported ''civilizational'' mission.

Excellent exposure.
My congratulations!
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 7:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Yep. It is a sad case where an African will insult his history just to defend a foreign religion
Dear friend:
It is no coincidence.
The conquerors imposed their beliefs, traditions and culture.
But they also were careful to "demonize" and disqualify any trace of "Africanism".
They are fighting two fronts: to impose the dominant culture, and eliminate the identity of Africans.
It is finished neatly ...
At the Berlin Conference, 1884-1885, Europeans agreed on how to distributed Africa among themselves.
Each step was always previously studied ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Conference

Disqualification of African values ​​(are black and bottom, their culture is demonic, are uncivilized) and overvaluation of European culture, with the Jewish God included.
Yes, I agree with you ... it is outrageous that blasphemes African ancestors to defend the Jewish God who died begging hung on a cross.
Un abrazo, querido amigo!
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 8:05pm On Sep 21, 2012
ba7man: This is a topic i love. Christianity is a religion in which its foundation is "LOVE". Trust me, if u see ppl doin evil things and they claim to be Christians,they are not following the bible and also Christians base their beliefs on the teachings of Christ. Our traditional religions were relions of "FEAR". Our ancestors worshiped things they didnt understand. THey see a large tree and instead of dominating it(to make tables and chairs) as the God of christianity commands,they worship it. They even worshippd chickenpox "sapona"(like how daft can you get?). Fear restricts discovery and thats why our societies were backwards doin all sorts of funny things when the white christians "dominated" the seas to get to our lands to "dominate" us with our backwards religions.
The worship of Somponno not worshippd smallpox, but the priests had healing powers on various skin conditions.
Europeans, fearing the unknown, Somponnó banned cult, their priests persecuted and killed many of them ...
You say that Christianity is love ...
Also with what happened in the cult Somponnó, is another example of Christian savagery.
Dear friend ... if you want to participate in the thread, learn before you write ...
It's hard to defend the savages Christian , without falling into ridicule you.
There is no place in the world that has not witnessed the savagery Christian.

That is the true Christian love.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by vislabraye(m): 8:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
It stll baffles me that people fail to see the benefits of the "foreign" religion over traditional religion.
Female circumcision is it good or bad?
Human sacrifice?
Telling a woman to drink the water used to wash her husband corpse?
A man offers his wife to his friend when he visits?
Killing twins?
Worshipping cows, taking good care of them at the expense of your child?
Worshipping snakes?
Sacrificing chicken or goat at a round about?
Eyo masquerade flogging you because you cross their path? There are many many more. Even the core traditionists like Wole Soyinka can never support any of the barbaric acts.

Some people are talking about the inquisition and the killing of witches by Christians.
My question is this: Did christianity encourage the killing of witches when it came to Africa?
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Theshrewdboy: 9:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
I am bemuse to say but the least of my shock to have this write-up here,it must be made known that foreign religions as you may call them are the best religions in Nigeria/I am not insinuating that the ancestral ones were bad though,but consider this:how will feel to have continued in abject ignorance of the existence of GOD or how will you feel somebody somewhere someday walks up to you and tell you that your head is wanted to appease the gods of the land without any remorse,my opinion is of the fact God knows why it happens that way.Now why all the things you mentioned are happening is because we have refused to submit solely to God but resort to our old ways of lives WE MUST GIVE GOD THE CHANCE TO RULE THIS COUNTRY AND NOT MISCREANTS GOD HELP US IN JESUS NAME:SAY AMEN
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 9:35pm On Sep 21, 2012
vislabraye: It stll baffles me that people fail to see the benefits of the "foreign" religion over traditional religion.
Human sacrifice?
Killing twins?
Worshipping snakes?
Eyo masquerade flogging you because you cross their path? There are many many more. Even the core traditionists like Wole Soyinka can never support any of the barbaric acts.

Some people are talking about the inquisition and the killing of witches by Christians.
My question is this: Did christianity encourage the killing of witches when it came to Africa?
Seldom have I read so many blunders ...
The Jews (ancestors of Catholicism) lambs slaughtered to cleanse their sins and sacrificed virgins in honor Javeh. Why do not you criticize that?
Why insist on talking about murders of twins? Twins in Yoruba culture are a blessing, and in fact the twins have their worship (Ibeije).
Why you do not read the whole thread before saying such nonsense?
Besides you pay tithing as a fool, you is writing nonsense?
Mature.
Now, I answer your question.
Christians have killed all over the world.
It has not been where they have not committed terrible crimes.
If you read the thread, you can understand what I explained about the cult Somponnó.
Do not try to disqualify the other by misinformation and ignorance.
My respects.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
Theshrewdboy:
,but consider this:how will feel to have continued in abject ignorance of the existence of GOD

The worst slavery, is the mental slavery ... or so blind as he who will not see.
If reasoning is worthy of a shepherd fan, desperate for tithes ...
Dear ... watch your knees .... being so long kneeling affects the dignity, and bones.
my respects
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Rossikk(m): 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2012
LET'S REVERSE THIS:

vislabraye: It stll baffles me that people fail to see the benefits of the "foreign" religion over traditional religion.

It still baffles me that people fail to see the benefits of the traditional religion over "foreign" religion.

Male circumcision, is it good or bad?

Human sacrifice?

All those millions of humans sacrificed to the christian god in crusades, inquisitions, and colonial conquests. Surely a virgin or two sacrificed to guarantee a good harvest in a given African region would please God better. Or rather, annoy him less. Due to the much lesser blood count.

Christians even demand I drink the blood and eat the body of their god (Ritual cannibalism). Back in the day, it is said real human flesh and blood was on offer.

A lot better than cutting pregnant women open for being 'unbelievers'. (See Inquisition)

Killing twins?

Killing an estimated 100 million native Americans in the christian Spanish Inquisition?

Worshipping a bloodied cross with a dead man hanging on it? Taking good care of this image at the expense of your common sense?

Worshipping snakes?

Worshipping mythical dead virgins and fairytale flying saviours?

Peddling dubious tales about talking snakes that tempt humans?

Sacrificing millions of humans in Iraq (George Bush: ''the lord asked me to do it'')?

CHRISTIANITY BROUGHT THE GUN INTO AFRICA. The christian colonialists were able to take over our lands by their use of the GUN, and by the committing of huge massacres in their colonial raids. Our people resisted bravely for many years, but were overwhelmed eventually by the sheer power of the christian GUN.

BY CHRISTIAN INVESTMENT IN WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by Ptolomeus(m): 10:04pm On Sep 21, 2012
To get it over with some nonsense

The Passover lamb was prepared in advance, four days before (Exodus 12.3,5). It had to be one year, without blemish and without spot.
The Passover lamb was sacrificed in place of Israel, the Lord's firstborn (escaped death - Exodus 22.04, 13.15).
The Passover lamb had to be sacrificed "between the evenings", ie from 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM the day of the Passover.
The Passover lamb had to be roasted whole. You could break a bone thereof (Numbers 9.12), and leave nothing for the Sabbath.

Besides the sacrifice of Jesus (God mercilessly sacrificed his own son), another example of human sacrifice in the Old Testament is that of Jephthah. Jephthah promises to sacrifice to Yahweh in his honor the first to come out to meet him on his return if it helps defeat the Ammonites (Judges 11:31). Returning victorious is his own daughter coming out to meet him and Jephthah fulfills his promise to Yahweh. (Judges 11:39)

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
CrazyMan:
No I won't agree with you...cos traditional gods are far worse than christianity and islam put together.

Maybe on good day, sit your folks down, and ask them to give you a flash back of how they worshiped their traditional gods...I'm sure that by the time they finish explaining to you the killings, the human and animal sacrifices, the unnecessary restrictions to certain places, the embargo placed on women restricting them from gaining access into certain shrines..etc. You'll have a change of heart.

hahahahhhahha LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!! just look at this mumu speak about Pagan killings! hahahaha yes we Pagans are responsible for all the countless attrocities inflicted upon trillions of people around the world over centuries, yes i dont even want to name them. typing them tires my very hands.

you are a lieing rat! i hav already explained blood sacrifice and its role and that too it was done by only some tribes, not that it matters.

And what makes you think that sango, amadioha, ogun etc worship is preferable to worshiping.

You fail to realise that God is forgiving...all others you mentioned aren't you get instant punishment for your trespasses.

God isn't bothered about your sacrifice...he wants your heart, the gods mentioned above all require human sacrifices from their subjects. Failure to keep up would lead to death.

God is very patient, he gives you time to think and make up your mind...the gods mentioned above torment you and force you to serve them.

So my dear there's no need to long for the worship of evil spirits cos believe me, they would do you more harm than good.

The worship of Sango, Amadioha, Ogun, etc. , is more preferable in that these very names represent the Gods, i.e., the SPiritual Forces that govern this our material Universe and being itself.

it is much preferable to reigions made by man and tha revolve around man-worship and superitority of bloody arab/semites/israelis.

the way you talk about God, is as if God is human. stop confucing and getting deluded! God is not human! stop attributing human characteristics to a Siritual Force! angry angry angry angry

you are no one to decide on how God is feeling or whether he wants heart, lungs or kidneys, or he feels love, etc. angry angry angry angry

Haven't you heard of traditional deities whom their worshipers offer the blood of young innocent virgins constantly...for reasons best know to them.

If I may ask which evil would you tolerate of the two...a preacher violating an underage child or some traditional uneducated men using the blood of your daughters to serve their deity?

No i havent heard. before you make such senseless nonsensical claims that has been used by your missionaries for ages, please quote a source and nme the religion that does this. or else just shut up, before i use your blood for my daily ritual! angry

So in conclusion, all evil doers would be punished...it doesn't matter if you repent or not...the point to note is that you're definately going to be punished for your evil deeds.

yes i agree with you. the point is that you will be punished for your attrocities. your pastor, your missionaries, your ugly hippie pink man-God, everyone. . angry

If you're advocating for traditional worship, state your reason and why you feel it should preferred to christian and islamic worship.

Traditional Pagan Religion:

-has no man-founder like judaeo/islamo/christianity. There are almost as many Traditional Religions in this world as there are tribes which is in the millions. yet Not ONE has been founded by man or has any form of proof as to that. They are the true religions as of divine providence.

-are the oldest religions. ALL Traditional Religions are as old as time immortal. there is no date attributed to them,. it is from the dawn of mankind.

-DO NOT proselytyse OR seek converts. you have to be BORN to a tribe to be Pagan. only reversion is possible for a person to his tribes/ethnicities traditional form of Paganism.

- are a form of Spiritual Science connected to the material Sciences. most Ancient Pagan Druids, Shamans and Priest were adept at healing, the sciences, chemistry(alchemy)_philosophy, astronomy, etc. unlike monotheistic religions, Pagan religions accomodate the Sciences and cannot exist without them.

-worship and influence the Supernatural forces through its various manifestations. e.g., its creations such as nature, animals, forces or through a carved stone idol that symbolises an aspect of a Spiritual force, i.e., for example an idol of a Spiritual Force/God of Fertility and Pro-Creation. the idols are themselves not worshipped but what they represent and act as an object to help concentrate prayers and Spiritual forces on. humans being materialistic in nature, cannot worship or feel REAL devotion to thin air. even the most hardcore christian/muslim while praying must see an image of a God in his mind if he really means his prayer. anyone be it christian or muslim claiming "undying love" to an invisible God is a LIAR!

-do not believe in religious wars, massacres or killings. The Pagans have never attacked anyone unless provoked. as in the case of the Quraysh Tribe of Arabia, when they were being forcefully converted by the sword, their people and shrines looted and destroyed and their women defiled, when in fact they were the FIRST to be there. they were kicked out of their own homes. such injustices can only account for Pagan religiouswars and even then very few such retailiations have taken place.

- Worship the Gods as Spiritual Forces that govern various spheres of being/life and dont indulge in man-worship.

- involved in nature conservation and do not consider man above other animals or plants. humans are just more intelligent than a Chimpanzee which is in turn more intelligent than a chicken.

- do not go by a book. Pagan religions are flexible and can change with time. more advanced form of Pagan religions such as Ancient Greek Religion, Ancient Egyptian Religion, Hinduism, Ifa-Orisha, etc have as a result a large number of treatises, interpretations, versions, etc. books are merely guidelines which can be enhanced further with time. Pagan religions, however small, have a potential to grow if given the proper resources, support, research/universities and time.

-the religion is personal. you tribe, culture and trad.religions is inseparable. therefore it is part of your very identitity and beliefs naturally attributed to you.

etc. .

Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:36pm On Sep 21, 2012
CrazyMan:
I must commend your observations...

But on the area of slavery...slavery was highly political therefore it had nothing to do with religion.

I'm sure that in your research, you didn't omit the area where thousands of missionaries died while spreading the gospel of christ in Africa.

On the area of murders committed in the name of christ, could you please enlighten me more on that area, [size=16pt]cos I don't seem to comprehend that statement[/size].

how can I or anyone for that matter, take you seriously, if you make such a rash and deliberate statement? shocked shocked shocked shocked

are you trying to be blind on purpose or are you just plain mental or is it that you dont have any general knowledge in you
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
Billyonaire:

Young man, when you talk, always remember that your mind is on parade. You have successfully derailed a very handsome thread to buffer your condom thought system. If Ancestral Religion was so excellent, why did our Ancestors wish that we their offsprings dont live and think the way they did ? They welcomed the missionaries, donated plots of land for free so that churches be built and embraced reading and writing. The fact, that you are sitting there and typing on your computer is a result of that wise decision that your ancestors made, I believe if they didnt make that decision, by now you would have been worshiping the god of thunder in some distant forests, did I just say god of thunder ? Alas, there is no god of thunder. Foreign religion brought about education which thought me about magnetic clouds and thats what you would have been worshiping. Ignorance kills more than foreign religion.

our ancestors did not wish to convert. why else do you think Traditional Religions still survive today, though subdued and hushed up who told you they welcomedm issonaries your pastor the british govt sen these missionaries to brainwsh our people, and most of the times, bribes, etc., did the trick. why do you think the slaves carted off to the South Americas, i.e., people like Ptolemus' ancestors, still hung on to Taditional Religion even when their slave masters forced christianity upon them an d beat them up WHY??! angry why do you think the Natives of southa ameria to great pains to disguise their Gods as christian saints, etc., inorder to save their ancestral Pagan religions why do most Zimbabwaeans and Southern Africans still visit Traditional priests and Sangomas when they are dissatisfied with the church and to gain spirituality?? WHY??!!!

most of our lands and resources where taken away by force. so many wars where fought between natives and the colonizers. you have a very distorted view of African history. even those who did donate landm, was solely because of the open-hearted siplicity of our Chiefs and our African values of hospitality to guests. while we viewed whites as guests, they (chrisitans) viewed us as potential human resource and of how to take advantage of us, if only we had slaughtered the lot of them missionaries like the Japanes did, we would have avoided all of this mess.

did you just say God of Thunder doesnt exist can i ask you a question? Have you seen hunder does Thunder exist then Shango = Thunder, so Shango exists. cool
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tomeseen: If christianity is from men, it shall die but if it's from God. It shall stand n d gates of hell shall not prevail. I av dis to say to Crazyman, u are an intelligent man. May God increase ur knowledge. Let every man search within his/her heart n choose him today whom he/she shall serve. It isn't enof being a xtian/muslim dis days. All we are holding up to is faith n hope. The world is in shambles n am astounded some peeps are still much buried in d past. D milk is split, yet my fellow africans are bemoaning d fate of their ancestors who are eida restin or wailing. I don't like blind arguments, it shows 1)how intelligent u really are. 2)how stupid u'd like to be. If i find anytin wrong wit my religion or d God i serve, there are no slave masters around to force me to continue. I take d next exit shaperly. We are in our comfy beds n surroundings, whereas someone somewhere is going tru unimaginable pain n he/she is asking if there is a God somewhere or mayhaps our planet earth is a big joke to him. Walahi d evil dt men do dis days, right dis minute d devil is plenty scared of mortals nowadays. There is dis yoruba proverb dt says 'if ur household/family death dosent kill you, d strange one wud definitely neva kill you'. Mayb we all shud look at slavery very well again n cast our stones at d proper 'first culprit' in dis case to me are our very own broda who capture us for sale to d white men, who is to blame d white men for being greedy to want more slave dn our brodas can safely steal. I find it ironic indeed dt a strange man who can't speak my language, who don't know d wild animals i abide with, who can't stay in my sun long without gettin burnt, who can't enjoy my moonlit nights witout fear of my mosquitoes, who don't know my land n terrain would capture me in a forest i grew up in n cart me away, without him aving some help, in dis case from my african brodas. Finally pls, d past is gone only to be remembered, we d future generation shud know better n make amends. I discriminate not, come in peace is all i ask. Thanks

look at this another ignorant mumu! the big question is , why is the world n shambles>>!!! it is because of christianity! you destroyed the normal working order of the world. you destroyed the tribes of europe, as a result of which the half-bred cristian whites went around the world and cause mayhem and to seek converts on the orders of the pope. you did all of that. you will pay! angry
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
mimifonwon: This is what i believe, ... i believe that if our traditional believes are practiced as much as christianity or islam that nigeria would be better, infact most african countries will be better off. If you think of it...subsets of christianity like catholic is mainly accepted by africans because it is basically kinda like what most people term our "pagan" traditional religion.. The pope=babalawo..saints=dieties...and so on.most people dont want to admit it but thats why many africans are more catholic than any other subset, if you want prove read african in latin america, then you will understand that the only difference between our traditional religion and certain branches of christianity is that the people who commit the crimes dont face judgements and feel they can do anything, but in our traditional religion there is no forgiveness, rather the Gods get their revenge.

ok lets say we agree with you. but why is it that always the christian terms are used why do we have to hide all the time why doesnt the pope call himself Chief Babalawo why dont the saints be called Alusi or ORisha. why dont christians in europe, etc., incorporate African elements of Spirituality into their daily lives. WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE THE SLAVES ALL THE TIME??!!!
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:03am On Sep 22, 2012
capricon:

Nice, its good too see a pagan hausa person which is very rare. i thought they were all die hard islamic followers. But tell me do u practice your faith openly without persecution or stigma?

you will see many soon. we are not boko haram and are not meant to be. some things have just gone wrong in recent times.

many of us practice openly. some of us do it in private due to problems. our Hausa muslim neigbours are aware but they generally overlook it. sometimes the fanatic ones try to make attempts to convert us especially mosque leaders, local imam, etc.

recently we have seen a large influx of european christian missionaries into our areas who are trying hard to convert us. but the muslims drive them away because being Hausa, they prefer us to christans. it is a very strange balance right now but our condition can worsen anytime soon. more prone to christian conversions are those in the extreme East areas near Niger, Kotangara, etc. there are other Hausa sub-tribe too , with their own version of Hasua religion. the demand for us generally rises during important festivalsm durbars of emirs, Saarkis, etc. this is because we represent the real Hausa and know the right way to display culture. Our priests even bless the annual Argungu Fishing Festival.
Re: Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions by capricon: 7:39am On Sep 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

you will see many soon. we are not boko haram and are not meant to be. some things have just gone wrong in recent times.

many of us practice openly. some of us do it in private due to problems. our Hausa muslim neigbours are aware but they generally overlook it. sometimes the fanatic ones try to make attempts to convert us especially mosque leaders, local imam, etc.

recently we have seen a large influx of european christian missionaries into our areas who are trying hard to convert us. but the muslims drive them away because being Hausa, they prefer us to christans. it is a very strange balance right now but our condition can worsen anytime soon. more prone to christian conversions are those in the extreme East areas near Niger, Kotangara, etc. there are other Hausa sub-tribe too , with their own version of Hasua religion. the demand for us generally rises during important festivalsm durbars of emirs, Saarkis, etc. this is because we represent the real Hausa and know the right way to display culture. Our priests even bless the annual Argungu Fishing Festival.

Interesting, though I am a catholic Christian, i believe in freedom of religion including traditional religions. We have them in abundance in my village (igbo). I will suggest pushing ur religion for national recognition and your fetival days given some kind of holiday

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How God Used My Premature Baby (5 Months, 2 Weeks; 790grams) To Bring Me Closer / 2019: Mbaka Tells Nigerians To Brace Up For More Difficult Times / Low Turnout Of Teens In Churches Nowadays.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.