Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,119 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance (19113 Views)

6 Quran Quotes That Teach Love, Tolerance And Freedom Of Religion / Freedom, Criticism And Tolerance In Islam / Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by tbaba1234: 5:31am On Sep 20, 2012
5 Examples Of Supreme Muslim Tolerance
by muhammad-wajid-akhter

As we see the images of burning embassies and burnt flags unfolding across the Muslim world, it is easy for non-Muslims (and some Muslims too) to jump to the conclusion that there is an inherent lack of tolerance amongst “religious” Muslims.

A lot of this is down to the hypocrisy of trying to judge others by standards that are completely your own.

Generally speaking, just because the West tolerates blasphemy on a grand scale, this does not mean that people who condemn blasphemy are necessarily intolerant.

Some of it is down to pure Islamophobia, in which Muslims are seen as irrational, violent, and pathological zealots. A fair proportion of this is rooted in a deep-seated ignorance of the supremely tolerant history and nature of Islam.

Here are just a few examples of exceptional Muslim tolerance:

5. The Success of Non-Muslim People in Muslim Ruled Lands

Here's a quick game you can play…

What happened to the Muslims of any land in which Non-Muslims ruled them?

In Communist Russia they were forcibly marched into the gulags of Siberia. In Eastern Europe it was the genocide of Bosnia and Srebrenica that awaited them. In Palestine, it is 60 years and counting of occupation, humiliation and imprisonment. In Spain, it was total annihilation, such that not one man was left to call the adhān.

Now, what happened to Non-Muslims living in Muslim lands?

In Moghul India, the Hindus survived, prospered and eventually took over. In Umayyad Spain, they all lived happily in the most modern state in all of Europe. In the Ottoman Empire, the Jews found shelter and a new golden age. In Egypt and Syria, a significant minority of the country is still Christian despite living under Muslim rule for 1400 years. Contrary to modern perceived wisdom, Muslims have almost always been tolerant of Non-Muslim minorities/ majorities in lands that they ruled. Had Islam been as intolerant as other ideologies, the non-Muslim communities in the Muslim world would have disappeared just like the Moors of Spain.

4. Preserving the Wisdom of Other People

It is customary for a conquering people to see nothing of value in their vanquished foe. Indeed, to this day, the Orientalist bigotry of the Colonial West towards Islam and Muslims is evidence of this.

Islam is often described as having nothing of benefit for mankind, and Muslims as being backwards despite huge amounts of evidence to the contrary. However, during the Muslim Caliphate there was a healthy respect for the culture and legacy of other cultures. It was this tolerance of the wisdom of others and the humble acceptance that there were things that they, the conquerors, could learn from the conquered that allowed Muslims to be the guardians of world knowledge.

It is little wonder that the oldest Universities in the world are all in Muslim lands. Everything from the philosophy of the ancient Greeks, the numerical system of ancient India and the agricultural marvels of ancient Persia were all preserved for posterity and built on, rather than destroyed.

3. The Conquest of Jerusalem

The Crusader chronicles mention in vivid detail the scene that took place when they conquered Jerusalem.

“Our horses waded knee-deep in the blood of the Saracens,” wrote one Knight Templar.

They celebrated their bloody triumph by converting the beautiful Dome of the Rock and masjid Al Aqsa into palaces and stables. Under a century later, Salahuddin had finally reached the gates of Jerusalem after righting the wrongs of the 1st and 2nd Crusades. Having ground the Crusader army to dust at the horns of Hattin, Salahuddin could have stormed the city like the Crusaders before him and leveled the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

Indeed that is exactly what some in his army wanted. Instead he negotiated the surrender of the city with every inhabitant having to pay a certain amount in ransom. When he saw that many of the poor Christians had not enough money to ransom themselves, this tolerant Muslim leader paid their ransom out of his own pocket. Seeing his example, his soldiers did the same.

2. Saving the Jews of Spain – Twice

The Jews of Europe have always been a persecuted minority. Living in ghettos, derided openly and victims of regular pogroms – their suffering seemed endless. Nowhere was this worse than in the Iberian peninsula where the Visigothic kings chose to show off their new-found Catholic faith by making life hellish for all Jews.

First they took their children and when that wasn't enough to stamp out the Jewish presence in Spain, they decided to kick them out. But before they could complete their ethnic cleansing, the Muslims had arrived and put an end to such barbarity. The Jews were now not only free to live their lives, but also immediately promoted and allowed to take up high positions in government.

This situation lasted for nearly 800 years until eventually the Catholics regrouped and, showing that old habits die-hard, expelled both the Jews and the Muslims out of Spain. The Muslims were absorbed as refugees into the Muslim world, but where did the Jews go?

They were welcomed into Muslims lands as well with the Sultan of Turkey sending boats to bring them to Istanbul and entire districts in Morocco being allocated to them. Muslims saved the Jews for a second time.

1. The Prophet

Of course, no example of tolerance can be greater than that of the Prophet himself. When he was struggling in Makkah with a few followers, he would not raise his voice against those who heaped rubbish on him.

When he went to Ta'if he would not curse those who stoned him. When he saw his beloved wife and uncle die during the years of expulsion and starvation, he would not raise his hands against those who decimated his beloved family members. When he entered his hometown as a conqueror, he would not seek vengeance against anyone – even the killer of his dear uncle. Of course, the Prophet did stand up against oppression, unprovoked aggression and injustice. There was a balance in his behavior that is missing from the discourse of both, those whose first instinct is to burn stuff and those who say that all provocation should be ignored.

The Prophet taught us tolerance and taught us its limits.

As the Western world grapples with the cancerous spread of dangerous Islamophobia in their lands and the Muslim world grapples with tendency to reflexive actions in theirs – we would all do well to remember his example. Muslims have a choice – we can either use our limitless love for the Prophet to burn the world to avenge him or to reunite, refocus and re-build the world in honor of him. It is not hard to guess what he would have wanted.

No wonder he is known as “Rahmat lil-'Alimeen” – a mercy to ALL the worlds.

http://muslimmatters.org/2012/09/20/5-examples-of-supreme-muslim-tolerance/

49 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by maclatunji: 6:02am On Sep 20, 2012
This is my position on the matter.

"There was a balance in his behavior that
is missing from the discourse of both, those
whose first instinct is to burn stuff and those who say that all provocation should be ignored."

You don't as a Muslim go verbally bashing the United States continually without either mysteriously disappearing or conveniently dying in mysterious circumstances. MKO quickly comes to mind here. Yet, some people have been brainwashed into believing the world must accept what America and its allies present to us. That's utter rubbish!

Yes, we don't support Muslims who kill and maim over these offensive publications but all legal channels/resources must be exerted to make those who continue to show hatred and intolerance for Islam/Muslims understand that they cannot have their way.

The world belongs to all of us, and you cannot force us to accept your ways no matter how grand you think they are- QED.

18 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by sino(m): 10:25am On Sep 20, 2012
@tbaba thanks for sharing this.

I see the whole issue as a case of "to hang a dog, give it a bad name". History has shown times without number how tolerant muslims have been and are still being tolerant even though the the "west" and its tool(media) are trying to paint us otherwise.

Indeed, we should continue to admonish and condemn the overzealous few who dance to the tune- albeit ignorantly-of these enemies of Islam.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
I admire the 'brotherhood' spirit in Islam... I use that sometimes to get good bargains from Muslims when I go shopping in their shops.. All I just need to do is say Akhi, and the doozy in there would give me a good bargain.. grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
Comments Reserved. Hmmm.
Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by jamil2(m): 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
".Say: Allah's guidance is the only guidance, and we have been directed to submit ourselves to the Lord of the Worlds.." Qur'an

(6:71)

Being a good Muslim is my number one priority.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by salt1: 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
I enjoyed reading the op's post because I really like hearing Muslims defend their faith.
I always get worried, though, when they hack to the past, to history as illustration.
Are there no current examples? How can you convince a Nigerian living in the fear of a Boko haram bomb that it is the Moslem's reaction to western propaganda that explains bombing of a Deeper Life church?
The only saving grace, and genuine illustration of Moslem tolerance, are the Yoruba moslems. I wonder if their high level of education coupled with their joie de vivre(joy of life) is the real reason they are not violent. Even you will agree that they are the exception.
Give us current examples, not history. Christians are being wiped out in Egypt. Saudi Arabia has banned private praying

45 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Any non-Muslim on Nl would do well to follow tbaba's posts.
I'm not Muslim, but he's given me a better understanding of Islam..

As for Maclatunji, the less said about him, the better...

8 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Joey82(m): 3:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
I love the prophet Mohammed at least from stuff i'v read about him.
I'm not a muslim, but i dread its extremist followers.
All I know is God is a God of peace, and is big enough to fight whoever blasphems Him.
Let these muslims stop fighting Allah's battle.
Let Allah fight his battle and be the judge.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Kinikini: 3:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
Very good points and message. But of course, it will not attract comments from those who make the basing of muslims thier pleasure and may not make it to front page here because it would not appeal to the muslim haters.

@maclatunji, you are right on the issues. Moderation is required by the muslims showing displeasures worldwide and from the Islamaphobia tendencies of the west that gained momentum since 9/11.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by pankere(m): 3:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
sino: @tbaba thanks for sharing this.

I see the whole issue as a case of "to hang a dog, give it a bad name". History has shown times without number how tolerant muslims have been and are still being tolerant even though the the "west" and its tool(media) are trying to paint us otherwise.

Indeed, we should continue to admonish and condemn the overzealous few who dance to the tune- albeit ignorantly-of these enemies of Islam.

Is it the media that is painting the violence of boko haram? Is it the media that painted the story of how they killed christian worshippers in their church in Kogi and the churches bombed in the north? How tolerant are these moslems in the north of christians? They are so tolerant that they want to islamise nigeria with bombs and swords abi? Admit the truth! there is a BIG difference between prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and the so called moslems of nowadays.How many moslems can confidently say Islam is a religion of peace?Islam has become a tool of violence

20 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by garripack: 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
[size=20pt]OK WE DON HEAR TANK GOD SAY ME NO B MUSLIM/BOKOHARAM/ISLAMIC TERRORIST....... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[/size]

13 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Htown64(m): 4:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
edalok: I have seen really wonderful muslims but these ones that kill with the slightest provocation what are they.
MUSLIMS

1 Like

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by k2039: 4:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
HQ: Comments Reserved. Hmmm.

[size=18pt]DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO POST THAT[/size]

1 Like

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Esejojo: 4:03pm On Sep 20, 2012
Interesting article. Now we've been better educated about the Islamic faith.

Also, this article making the front-page lays to rest my curiousity over the religion Seun and other promoters of Nairaland profess. Little wonder popular Christian Men-of-God like Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oritsejafor, etc are always projected in negative light on Nairaland.

Kudos, Seun and co. smiley

5 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
Esejojo: Interesting article. Now we've been better educated about the Islamic faith.

Also, this article making the front-page lays to rest my curiousity over the religion Seun and other promoters of Nairaland profess. Little wonder popular Christian Men-of-God like Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oritsejafor, etc are always projected in negative light on Nairaland.

Kudos, Seun and co. smiley
Before you sink in your idiocy, please name an Imam you know....

1 Like

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by SisiKill1: 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
sino: @tbaba thanks for sharing this.

There are soooooo many things to do with that statement but out of respect for the very few Good Muslims (many, many of whom are close family members and friends)out there, I'll refrain from "going there"

Oh heck, forget about respect. Answer me this. . .what comes first, the reputation or the name? If it is the reputation, then are people wrong in calling it what it is?

If it is the bad name, then isn't it really stupid to go about denying it by living up to it?

Either way you look at it, one can't help but come to the conclusion that something is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG somewhere.

Seriously, how can one reconcile butchering innocent people as a defense against being called murderers??!!

14 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by planetuzor(m): 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
How on earth should i follow a religion that fight 4 dier God.. A religion dat would rather kill every oda person jst bkos wana b a matre. . If u wana b a matre y nt do gud to ur neighbourx dan takin dier lives. D humans u so wish to win dier soul u r kiling them. . My God fights 4 me.. U c thats y xtianx is xceptional. We strive to show love. . Wen some abuse our God we love hm, wen sum1 slaps our chick we turn d oda, we dnt retaliate. Dats y we havnt since d boko haram tinx. .we cant aford 2 kil a soul, we want to win a soul.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by moderatorr: 4:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
To be a true Muslim, you have to be ready at all times to defend your religion with your life.
'paradise lies under the sword' .
This is the simple truth.
This is why the bombs will never stop.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by pharuk: 4:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
Can guarantee you that the moderator will have to work very hard to keep hidding some post, some people will take advantage of this post and spread hatred.

OP..
good post, but it will take more than magic to potray muslim in the best of light.

similar to potraying naija as not been corrupt..

Just a handful of people wrecking everything

sadly minority makes d loudest noise

5 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by dustydee: 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
@ Poster if muslims are tolerant why can't i freely practice my religion in Saudi Arabia or the UAE? If you believe what you just posted please start a campaign for freedom of religion in the Arab world-only then will I believe your intentions.

19 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by ALAREDE: 4:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
In my own considered opinion, we need modern day examples not some historical perspective that recent happening has obliterated. Just like any natural phenomenon,the whole of Islam are not fundamentalist but those few(i hope am right) have done collosal damage to the religion's reputation, in the West. The muslim world need re-awaking ( Not spiritual) to 'fish" out all undesirable elements in their midst.

Iam perticularly sad considering that some of my best friends are Muslim-Dedicated and professional in their dealing. I cant reconcile same polished guys to the mayhem elsewhere purportedly perpetrated by some fews.

The truth is nobody simple,nobody ( Xtain,Muslim,Budhist,animist,aethist etc) prosper in the face of instability. The world is and would be a better place if we all live together in peace.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by reloboy(m): 4:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
I know and I believe all "THIS" is the handiwork of satan to drive people away from the truth.
Islam Is A Great Religion If You Truly Understand it.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by dammytosh: 4:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
I have watched Davinci Code, Watched Lost Tomb of Jesus. Just yesterday, a documentary on the WIFE of jesus came out.

I can't remember anybody losing his life because of this blasphemies.

The Danish cartoonist has more satirical cartoons on Christianity more than Islam. I think the "few" undecided Muslims people claim are painting Islam Black should think twice.

Nobody has monopoly of violence. A day will come when people will fight back if you push them to the wall because it makes no sense to KILL innocent people in far away Afghanistan to protest a movie done by an Egyptian living in America it does not add up and it is simply barbaric.

Like somebody said, real kudos to my Yoruba Muslim brethren, I love them so much. God bless you all.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Chinese Emperor's Poem About Prophet Muhammad (SAW) / Can A Muslimah Touch A Man She Is Bethrothed To? / Hajj 2021: Only Saudi Arabia Residents And Citizens Can Partake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.