Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance - Islam for Muslims (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance (19075 Views)

6 Quran Quotes That Teach Love, Tolerance And Freedom Of Religion / Freedom, Criticism And Tolerance In Islam / Ensuring Zero Tolerance For Any Type Of Extremism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by BetaThings: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2012
tiarabubu:

If I so choose I will get dozens of clips to support my facts on the crusades. But that's not my style. Besides many in Nigeria will hardly be able to afford the 400 MB data allowance to watch your clip through.

This is a scholars take on the crusades

The bandwidth problem and/or poverty in Nigeria should not be reason why a muslim should not argue the position of Islam with the evidence he has esp as we know that it is actually easier (bandwidth speed and cost permitting) to watch clips than read

But it is curious that you admit that you could get clips to support your position on the crusades but you are now presenting scholars as if they are no differences of opinion. Does that mean scholars are united on the cause of the crusade but are divided when making clips?

tiarabubu:
This is a scholars take on the crusades:

by the end of the eleventh century the forces of Islam had captured two-thirds of the Christian world. Palestine, the home of Jesus Christ; Egypt, the birthplace of Christian monasticism; Asia Minor, where St. Paul planted the seeds of the first Christian communities: These were not the periphery of Christianity but its very core. And the Muslim empires were not finished yet. They continued to press westward toward Constantinople, ultimately passing it and entering Europe itself. As far as unprovoked aggression goes, it was all on the Muslim side. At some point what was left of the Christian world would have to defend itself or simply succumb to Islamic conquest. The First Crusade was called by Pope Urban II in 1095 in response to an urgent plea for help from the Byzantine emperor in Constantinople. Urban called the knights of Christendom to come to the aid of their eastern brethren. It was to be an errand of mercy, liberating the Christians of the East from their Muslim conquerors. In other words, the Crusades were from the beginning a defensive war. The entire history of the eastern Crusades is one of response to Muslim aggression.
Thomas F. Madden Associate Professor of History A Concise History of the Crusades

Thomas Madden is of the Saint Louis University - a Catholic, Jesuit University. So we know he is biased

You are really picking and choosing! Clearly there are more Christian western scholars than muslim scholars
Christians have traditionally shown more interest in writing Muslim history than Muslims have contributed to Christian history
The earliest translation of the Qur'an were made by christians. Why? I cannot see why ACN would sincerely translate PDP's manifesto and history?
You should quote what your authors represent - religion, doctrine etc

Let me give you an example. JOHN LORD, LL.D, author of "Beacon Lights Of History", "The Old Roman World," "Modern Europe," etc, declares

"I assume that there is no such thing as a progressive Christianity, except in so far as mankind grow in the realization of its lofty principles; that there has not been and will not be any improvement on the ethics and spiritual truths revealed by Jesus the Christ, but that they will remain forever the standard of faith and practice. I assume also that Christianity has elements which are not to be found in any other religion,--such as original teachings, divine revelations, and sublime truths.

It is certainly not unreasonable to claim the greatest purity and loftiness in the monotheistic faith of the Hebrew patriarchs, as handed down to his children by Abraham, over that of all other founders of ancient religious systems, not only since that faith was, as we believe, supernaturally communicated, but since the fruit of that stock, especially in its Christian development, is superior to all others"

Quoting John Lord on a matter affecting Islam v Christianity would be like asking President Jonathan to give evidence on the campaign promises-fulfilment of PDP and ACN between 2011 and 2015

In "World History, Vol 1: To 1800" 2nd ed 1998, by 2 American authors (William Duiker and Jackson Spielvogel) at the Pennsylvania State University, they say (on pp 242)

"Just before the end of the 11th century, the Byzantine emperor Alexius I desperately called for assistance from other Christians states in Europe to protect his empire against the invading seljuk Turks. As part of his appeal, he said that Christian shrines in the Holy Land had been desecrated by the Muslimn who, he claimed, were also molesting Christain pilgrims en route to the shrines. In actuality, the Muslims had not threatened the shrines and had never cut off Christian access to them. But tension between Christendom and the World of Islam was on the rise, and the Byzantine emperor's appeal received a ready response in Europe.."
Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by Rilwayne001: 6:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
Dey wont believe, a seal has been set on dere 4 rebellin against dere Lord
Re: 5 Examples Of Outstanding Muslim Tolerance by dammyeve: 2:03am On Oct 31, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eid-El-Fitr Celebration All Over The World In Pictures / 6 Nigerians Among Crane Crash Victims / A Chinese Emperor's Poem About Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.