Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype (120642 Views)

Wife Divorce Husband Because He Lied About His Genotype / Options Available For Same A.s Genotype Couple / Her Family Say I Can't Marry Their Daughter Cos We're Both As Genotype (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ADEBOSOLA: 4:14pm On Jan 09, 2012
@irenolodun tnks 4 ur comment.i also ve d sme prob wit ma partner nd it has causd a lot of problems in our relationshp.i tink d best solution 2 dis problm is 2 ve faith in God.Faith can move mountains nd moreover true love conquers all.In my own prt i ve decided 2 continue wit d relatnshp cos love conquers al nd endures all tins.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ADEBOSOLA: 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
@irenolodun tnks 4 ur comment.i also ve d sme prob wit ma partner nd it has causd a lot of problems in our relationshp.i tink d best solution 2 dis problm is 2 ve faith in God.Faith can move mountains nd moreover true love conquers all.In my own prt i ve decided 2 continue wit d relatnshp cos genotype or no genotype love conquers al nd endures all tins.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Shinatu: 4:17pm On Jan 10, 2012
If one is going to act on Faith, it would be good to make sure that it is Faith.
One child with Sickle Cell is enough to eradicate any iota of love between a husband and wife(talkless of two or three!) especially if there are
limited resources.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by dabongys: 8:03am On Jan 27, 2012
Ade,please I beg you in your own interest: if you are both AS, quit that relationship NOW.May be you need to have a little chat with parents of an SS child,
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by odunjoy1(m): 3:22pm On Jan 27, 2012
it is better to avoid problem, i believe wit God nothing is impossible
but to me i think d miracle shud come b4 u get married, i've heard
of people dat there genotype change from SS to AA,
but if u knw ur faith is not strong enough dont dabble into things
like that because there will be a time u will be fed up, and later
regretting why u venture into a relationship of such, please rethink!
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by shojay: 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
Am tired of diz genotype wahala.....
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Biosphere(m): 10:33pm On Jun 16, 2013
I must confess dat all ur contributions ar very helpful. Plz which one SR or RR? I've neva heard of dis b4.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by WAM1(f): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2013
Iranoladun: For pre-natal testing of babies to determine their genotype try O & G dept of LUTH, Idi - Araba, Lagos, UCH, Ibadan, OAUTH Ile Ife, UNIBEN teaching hospital and a host of other teaching hospitals in Nigeria.

If you're truly in love genotype will be the last thing on your mind. I'm AS and my hubby is AC; we don't have any SC and I always thank I did not allow genotype deprive me of a wonderful marriage. God knows I will marry my husband a thousand times over (my only regret is not marrying him early enough).

All the people talking about genotype testing even before dating; I wish you luck in getting a wonderful partner. With the advent of technology, I will rather marry whom I love and who equally loves me than getting someone with a genotype AA that is a devil re-incarnate! There are worst disease one can develop in life aside Sickle cell disease o jare!

Your blessed!

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Mcbussy(m): 8:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
Iranoladun: For pre-natal testing of babies to determine their genotype try O & G dept of LUTH, Idi - Araba, Lagos, UCH, Ibadan, OAUTH Ile Ife, UNIBEN teaching hospital and a host of other teaching hospitals in Nigeria.

If you're truly in love genotype will be the last thing on your mind. I'm AS and my hubby is AC; we don't have any SC and I always thank I did not allow genotype deprive me of a wonderful marriage. God knows I will marry my husband a thousand times over (my only regret is not marrying him early enough).

All the people talking about genotype testing even before dating; I wish you luck in getting a wonderful partner. With the advent of technology, I will rather marry whom I love and who equally loves me than getting someone with a genotype AA that is a devil re-incarnate! There are worst disease one can develop in life aside Sickle cell disease o jare!

God forbid,but I bet your gospel would be different if u had a child dats deprived of a normal life because he/she's too fragile to engage in the activities of other normal people. Only to end up dying @ the age of 30. The fact that u were lucky doesn't make it a worthy risk. honestly,love is just an emotion that clouds the ability to reason critically. I'm sure your husband wasn't your 1st love. If u had left him for dat reason,u woulda found sum1 else just the way u found him. Taking such risk in the name of love is just too selfish.

9 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Mcbussy(m): 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
I am AA, my gf is AA....there's no room for weakness in the bloodline. Life is about evolution...only the strong would survive. wink
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by chinene1(f): 8:28pm On Jul 27, 2013
Instead of the fetus test and termination of pregnancy at 11 weeks or so, why not take matters into your hands and plan health babies using IVF. There are a variety of options to choose from, from using donor sperm for IUI and embryo selection before implantation. I have the AS genotype and my intended hubby is AS also. We plan on having a boy and a girl using one of these options then do long term family planning. I am not going to decide my life partner based on genotype. If a woman with HIV/AIDS can get married and give birth to a healthy child, so can I. Can't wait to have my babies. People just tell you don't try it, your children will suffer and die. Well children suffer and die any why and just 30 percent is SS related. For you intending to marry your sweethearts, just stroll into any IVF center and ask questions. Am sure you will be happy you did.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by chinene1(f): 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
obasmog: pls, anybody got idea of where the 10 weeks prenatal diagnosis is carried out in Nig and how much it costs?
If you decide to marry your partner, I suggest you consider assisted reproductive technology. Won't it be better to know the child you are carrying is a health boy or girl from day one. Just google IVF and IUI or visit an ART center. We have a lot of them.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
chi nene: Instead of the fetus test and termination of pregnancy at 11 weeks or so, why not take matters into your hands and plan health babies using IVF. There are a variety of options to choose from, from using donor sperm for IUI and embryo selection before implantation. I have the AS genotype and my intended hubby is AS also. We plan on having a boy and a girl using one of these options then do long term family planning. I am not going to decide my life partner based on genotype. If a woman with HIV/AIDS can get married and give birth to a healthy child, so can I. Can't wait to have my babies. People just tell you don't try it, your children will suffer and die. Well children suffer and die any why and just 30 percent is SS related. For you intending to marry your sweethearts, just stroll into any IVF center and ask questions. Am sure you will be happy you did.
Pls can you explain more wat IVF means? m also a victim of dis gene prob, m AS n my potential partner is AC
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by tsmith(f): 2:16pm On Jul 31, 2013
I dont know names of actual hospitals where the foetus test is carried out, however i think someone has mentioned a number of teaching hospitals. RE: cost, it cost my friend 400k to have this done in Niegria, and thank goodness the child was AA.

The downside to this testing is one is at risk of lossing the pregnancy, as a biopsy is taken from the foetus and it could lead to a miscarriage, as such 2 weeks bedrest is required after.

In all, one needs to weigh the risks, cost and heartaches -vs- the love to make a decision. Imagine a worse case scenario of carrying out the test, getting good news only to lose the baby as a result of the test, and then subsequent pregnancies are SS, SC. Or a couple who have had issues conceiving, and finanly conceives after years of waiting only for it to be a carrier.

What I'm driving at is there are several other issues that could happen in life, as such be very aware of the potential consequences and outcomes, then prep for the worst. If you can handle the worst, go for it, if you don't have the liver, then don't. But don't go into such a union with the mind that a miracle would happen!

5 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 31, 2013
So you guys would rather commit murder than break up?. Issorai.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by EveryLadY(f): 4:06pm On Jul 31, 2013
chi nene: Instead of the fetus test and termination of pregnancy at 11 weeks or so, why not take matters into your hands and plan health babies using IVF. There are a variety of options to choose from, from using donor sperm for IUI and embryo selection before implantation. I have the AS genotype and my intended hubby is AS also. We plan on having a boy and a girl using one of these options then do long term family planning. I am not going to decide my life partner based on genotype. If a woman with HIV/AIDS can get married and give birth to a healthy child, so can I. Can't wait to have my babies. People just tell you don't try it, your children will suffer and die. Well children suffer and die any why and just 30 percent is SS related. For you intending to marry your sweethearts, just stroll into any IVF center and ask questions. Am sure you will be happy you did.

guess u dont know the long term psychological trauma involved in this ur proposition?search thru this family section,the IVF issue was trashed and peeps with real life experience shared it.So pls do not advocate it as an alternative to genotype issue.not with our type of society.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ameenahz(f): 6:03am On Aug 02, 2013
People, please do not take these crazy risks that might land you in serious trouble. Love is a very small price to pay when it comes to genotype issue. Besides, the stress alone is enough to erase the love that is shacking you right now. Has any of you guys seen a HbSS or HbSC patient in crisis before? You will praise the lord, believe me!

My parents both knew they were AS before they got married, yet they decided to go ahead with the marriage. They are divorced right now. They dont even see eye to eye. The love that was shacking them has gone with the many crises the poor child has endured for the past 12 years, out through the window! The SS child they both made has been on admission for the past 5 days, the father has not even been there to see her. The girl curses her parents each time she's in pains.

Ask yourself, do you really want this type of life for yourself? Do you really think you will be lucky and may not have any SS child? This is not a family history of diabetes or hypertennsion that anyone can take chances with! Pls dont take chances.

For people considering 'prenatal tests',like sum1 said, would you rather commit murder than sacrifice the love that might disappoint you anyway? How many times will you spend 500k on tests? Are you sure that that 'love' can stand the test of time, money and stress? How many innocent babies will you kill before getting the 'healthy' ones? Do you even know that the test can result in the loss of a so called normal baby? Pls think deep and make your decision based on reality.

@OP, the ball is actually in your court. The decision is actually yours in the end. But please, dont start what you cannot finish. Go through the posts made here, carry out extensive research, weigh your options, make the 'right' decision and sacrifice whatever you think is easier for you to sacrifice.

10 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ameenahz(f): 6:36am On Aug 02, 2013

Congratulations madam. You are indeed very lucky and i thank God for you. I pray God blesses you home abundantly.

But please, dont misinform people! The fact that you are lucky doesnt mean any1 else will be. Funny thing is, the unlucky ones are even 'plentier' than the lucky few, like you. There are worst diseases any1 can develop, yes. But trust me, you dont want to have a child that will put your heart in your mouth, put you through unimaginable stress, drain your financial reserve, get your hope up and down, or even curse you each time he/she falls sick. It is not a pretty sight to behold.

And who says if you break up with sum1 for genotype issues, you may get 'the devil's incarnate'? I did and i am happier for it!

Technology cannot solve EVERY human problem. These tests come with their risks too. And in the Nigeria of today, how many people can afford them?

If you choose to go with 'faith', do you think any child you make who turns out to be an HbSS patient will understand such faith and forgive you?

To each person, his own sha.

7 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by chinene1(f): 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2013
harkindele:
Pls can you explain more wat IVF means? m also a victim of dis gene prob, m AS n my potential partner is AC
You have options to choose from. If your partner has no problem concieving, you can use donor sperm or egg or if you must use your sperm and egg then it can be cultured, selected then implanted in the woman. Before you choose, visit a fertility center and get more info. I as a person will do the donor sperm procedure. After you have your desired number of kids, you can do the best type of family planning suitable for you. Good luck
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by chinene1(f): 3:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
Every_LadY:

guess u dont know the long term psychological trauma involved in this ur proposition?search thru this family section,the IVF issue was trashed and peeps with real life experience shared it.So pls do not advocate it as an alternative to genotype issue.not with our type of society.

Its your type of attitude that complicates issues. You talk about things you are ignorant about. My sister is a wonderful example and I have seen no long term effect after 10 years of marriage and that was when it was a new concept. If the woman was having problems getting pregnant, you would suggest prayers or ART. But if its some one wanting to have healthy babies you say ART is trash. Wonder if you have any idea of what ART is all about or you just felt you should comment even if you have nothing useful to say. I am not here to force my belief on anyone but I only shared my thoughts. For those considering sharing their life together and have AS genotype, please don't go for the testing method, its too risky and its murder, rather try ART. Its 100 percent safer and has a lot of advantages like child spacing, sex selection and multiple births. please oh! This are just my thoughts. Its not by force to agree with me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2013
if dey re marrying just 4 d luv without having kids, it wud b perfect .

If it 4 having one or two kids, d probability of AS +AS given birth 2 ss is 4:1, ie in every 4 children there is high probability of having one SS (AA, ,AS, AS, SS).
I wud say dey shud just risk 4 one.

Bt

If its 4 d purpose of large family, they shud go 4 adoptions or just 4get abt it, becos it gonna create lots of agonies watching their children dieing helplessly.

Don't thank me yet.
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Abali1(m): 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2013
Mcbussy: I am AA, my gf is AA....there's no room for weakness in the bloodline. Life is about evolution...only the strong would survive. wink
I don't know why I am replying you. But it's a mis-conception to think that AA is the strongest of all the Genotypes. Yes, life is all about evolution but AA is really not the fittest in this part of the world (Africa).
Rather HbAS is the strongest of all the genotypes in Africa. Because it evolved as resistant to Malaria.
Malaria attack is highly fatal in people who carries the Hb AA genotype. If you doubt me, ask your medical practicioner.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
Abali1:
I don't know why I am replying you. But it's a mis-conception to think that AA is the strongest of all the Genotypes. Yes, life is all about evolution but AA is really not the fittest in this part of the world (Africa).
Rather HbAS is the strongest of all the genotypes in Africa. Because it evolved as resistant to Malaria.
Malaria attack is highly fatal in people who carries the Hb AA genotype. If you doubt me, ask your medical practicioner.
I don't need 2 ask n Dr 2 confirm dis, becos its a bone tied on my neck.

My family is AA Neither of us ve ever b admitted in d hospital, except 4 child birth.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Abali1(m): 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
ighoosagie: I don't need 2 ask n Dr 2 confirm dis, becos its a bone tied on my neck.

My family is AA Neither of us ve ever b admitted in d hospital, except 4 child birth.
Thank God for you and your families good health..... Being HB AA is not immunity against sickness Or death.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Mcbussy(m): 11:39pm On Aug 08, 2013
Abali1:

Mr. Abali,yes u may be right and I am aware of the malaria resistance crap.but then,I'm sorry to disappoint u that malaria has never shaken me b4.that theory of malaria being fatal to AA genotype is wrong.even if we don't build a resistance to malaria,it doesn't mean it has to kill us...lol.AA is the better genotype in humanity,no matter where u are. they're not capable of producing sickle cell carriers.If u feel malaria resistance is enough excuse for being a sickle cell carrier,then think about other diseases such as Hepatitis, Pneumonia, Typhoid, Cholera ....that would take more negative toll on AS than AA.In the end,it all boils down to what u are exposed to.I av never had issues wif malaria,I treat it b4 I even start having the main symptoms.

Having immunity to only 1 parasite doesn't make u stronger in a world where there are millions of parasites,bacteria,viruses ready to wreck havoc on weak,defenceless cells
Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Abali1(m): 5:05am On Aug 09, 2013
^^^ Ok. You have the purest & strongest of genotype.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ameenahz(f): 7:33am On Aug 09, 2013
@Ighoosagie and McBussy,

Count yourself lucky, thank God for the gift of good health and stop talking as if something is wrong with the rest of the world for being AS or SS.

Strong bloodline my foot.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 09, 2013
ameenahz: @Ighoosagie and McBussy,

Count yourself lucky, thank God for the gift of good health and stop sounding like something is wrong with the rest of the world for being AS or SS.

Strong bloodline my foot.
glory 2 God in Heaven

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ok guys, hv read enof here, weda AA, AS,AC,SS, DC~ PDP~ or AD. D only clear diff is dat some category of genotypes stands a better chance of living a healthy life than the other, not that one is immune to death (early or old age) or sickness. i.e "death knows no genotype". And for people debating on (weda a man wit AC can marry AS, probably cos of offspring). One thing I noticed u haven't considered d fact that we have some couples with AA genotypes on both sides who remain barren for one reason or the other. And those peeps that broke up with their potential partners cos of gene diff, d lord is ur strength. I'm not against any of the contributions....All I'm saying is that "Let ur thinking be rational"

4 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by Mcbussy(m): 11:41pm On Aug 15, 2013
Good point peeps....healthy or not healthy,sickle cell carrier or not. pple die by motor accidents,plane crash,gun shots,police accidental discharge(naija) and many more around the world every day....we just have to reckon with roles God plays in our lives. Only God can preserve our lives.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by sugardaddy1(m): 3:18pm On Sep 10, 2013

Very wrong approach to the issue.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Man With Ac Genotype Marry A Woman With As Genotype by ewaen1987: 9:29am On Oct 01, 2013
Hi iranoladun,I just read your write up now and you jst spoke my mind.I am AS and am inlove with a guy who is AC.he makes me so happy.we understand ourselves and we are so inlove.buh the problem we havin is our genotype not been compatible.I don't want to marry someone I don't love all becos of genotype palava,I also dnt want to give birth to sick babies.pls how did your folks take it.my mum wld fight me till the end.I need your quick response pls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Complains Of Everyday Sex From Husband, Runs (Video) / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Delta: Man Catches His Wife Having Sex With Another Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.