Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,200 members, 7,835,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Few Pics From Imo State - Politics (483) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Few Pics From Imo State (2416835 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Oboy See Heavy Accident Along Rivers Express Way (with Few Pics) / Few Pics From My Brief Trip To Abuja To Meet A Cankerworm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (1021) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:00am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:01am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:03am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:04am On Jul 24, 2018
Culture is king
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:06am On Jul 24, 2018

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:09am On Jul 24, 2018

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:10am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:14am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:14am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:16am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:17am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:17am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:18am On Jul 24, 2018
Mgbidi
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:33am On Jul 24, 2018
Orlu

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:35am On Jul 24, 2018
Emeka Ibeh Mall In Orlu

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:40am On Jul 24, 2018
Okigwe

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:41am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:42am On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:43am On Jul 24, 2018
Owerri

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 1:49am On Jul 24, 2018
Okigwe

3 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Rochas2023: 8:35am On Jul 24, 2018
Come and see IMO outside owerri, How many Govs in Nigeria can do what Rocha's is doing few

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by SoNature(m): 10:42am On Jul 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

Thanks, Ofodirinwa

You have done a good job

That school is fine

And I always tell these Orlu boys that they don't travel home

All they do is rant online, criticizing Rochas with 2012 pictures of Orlu that they got from this thread

At least we now know that other parts of Imo are feeling the positive impact of this government

But I still maintain that Rochas is doing too many projects at the same time

Ndewo, nwanne

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 10:44am On Jul 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
Okigwe

where in okigwe if i may ask?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 10:45am On Jul 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
Okigwe

please this isnt okigwe
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 12:30pm On Jul 24, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

Owerri's population is increasing and creating an 8 lane road now will be highly effective in the future. How are 8 lane roads ugly if I may ask?

I live in the US. In the 70s every city was dying for 8 even 12 lane roads. Now that many have achieved it, they're seeing the results and it's not what they wished for.

An 8 lane road, actually creates more traffic than it reduces. It leads to congestion and pollution. Image the car noises of a Nigerian road times 8. I personally don't like how they look either.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT: BUILDING BIGGER ROADS ACTUALLY MAKES TRAFFIC WORSE
I GREW UP in Los Angeles, the city by the freeway by the sea. And if there’s one thing I’ve known ever since I could sit up in my car seat, it’s that you should expect to run into traffic at any point of the day. Yes, commute hours are the worst, but I’ve run into dead-stop bumper-to-bumper cars on the 405 at 2 a.m.

As a kid, I used to ask my parents why they couldn’t just build more lanes on the freeway. Maybe transform them all into double-decker highways with cars zooming on the upper and lower levels. Except, as it turns out, that wouldn’t work. Because if there’s anything that traffic engineers have discovered in the last few decades it’s that you can’t build your way out of congestion. It’s the roads themselves that cause traffic.

The concept is called induced demand, which is economist-speak for when increasing the supply of something (like roads) makes people want that thing even more. Though some traffic engineers made note of this phenomenon at least as early as the 1960s, it is only in recent years that social scientists have collected enough data to show how this happens pretty much every time we build new roads. These findings imply that the ways we traditionally go about trying to mitigate jams are essentially fruitless, and that we’d all be spending a lot less time in traffic if we could just be a little more rational.

But before we get to the solutions, we have to take a closer look at the problem. In 2009, two economists—Matthew Turner of the University of Toronto and Gilles Duranton of the University of Pennsylvania—decided to compare the amount of new roads and highways built in different U.S. cities between 1980 and 2000, and the total number of miles driven in those cities over the same period.

“We found that there’s this perfect one-to-one relationship,” said Turner.

TRENDING NOW

Security
Legal Win Opens Pandora’s Box for DIY Weapons
If a city had increased its road capacity by 10 percent between 1980 and 1990, then the amount of driving in that city went up by 10 percent. If the amount of roads in the same city then went up by 11 percent between 1990 and 2000, the total number of miles driven also went up by 11 percent. It’s like the two figures were moving in perfect lockstep, changing at the same exact rate.

Now, correlation doesn’t mean causation. Maybe traffic engineers in U.S. cities happen to know exactly the right amount of roads to build to satisfy driving demand. But Turner and Duranton think that's unlikely. The modern interstate network mostly follows the plan originally conceived by the federal government in 1947, and it seems incredibly coincidental that road engineers at the time could have successfully predicted driving demand more than half a century in the future.

A more likely explanation, Turner and Duranton argue, is what they call the fundamental law of road congestion: New roads will create new drivers, resulting in the intensity of traffic staying the same.

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 12:35pm On Jul 24, 2018
People will also speed and drive more recklessly with more lanes. All of this has been measured statistically.

The alternatives to building bigger roads is building better blocks. People need to have everything they need within walking distance.
It would also help if we had a REAL bus system that's consistent and reliable, and if our bus stations were's so crude and savage. The average professional doesn't want to be shouted at by agberos every morning before work.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 12:55pm On Jul 24, 2018
Beautiful road. Is this Owerri to Onitsha road or is it a different road ?

Ofodirinwa:
Dual Carriage Way to Awomama
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:
Orlu

I thought Okorocha did not do anything in Orlu according to mandex and kikake
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 5:49pm On Jul 24, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

I thought Okorocha did not do anything in Orlu according to mandex and kikake

What does that picture have to do with Okorocha? Hope you're not implying he built everything you're looking at in the picture lol

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Ofodirinwa: 5:51pm On Jul 24, 2018
RareDiamonds:
Beautiful road. Is this Owerri to Onitsha road or is it a different road ?

Yes you guessed correctly
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by B2mario(m): 8:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

What does that picture have to do with Okorocha? Hope you're not implying he built everything you're looking at in the picture lol
LOL. It was Rochas that dualised the two roads (new owerri road and ihioma road) and built the roundabout. That is the popular banana junction in Orlu.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Xander85: 8:38pm On Jul 24, 2018
I've always said Oguta Lake is yet to get the kind of serious investment that'll turn it into a world-class destination! For that to happen, it would need a private investor willing to invest at least $100-150 Million! This would go into building a proper 5-Star hotel, a water park and part would be used to buy equipment for the lake.

Imagine all the tourist potentials waiting to be tapped just from that beautiful lake alone: scuba-diving; water-skiing; high-powered water motorbikes; fishing; night parties on the lake, etc!

This is where i had hoped all those numerous foreign trips of Rochas could have yielded returns. I had also hoped that after his 8 years in office, Imo State would have revitalised its palm plantations, which together with tourism would have improved the economic fortunes of the state. The good thing about these two particular ventures is that if they get off the ground, they would positively and directly affect the pockets of the ordinary Imo person....unlike what we see in the oil and gas industry where only a few benefit!

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (1021) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.