Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety (15829 Views)

Amaechi Invited For Road Inspection By Rivers PDP / Protesting Drivers Block Okene-abuja Highway After Police Kill Conductor. / Pictures From Lokoja-abuja Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
strangest: I thought there was a satelite sat 1 that Nigeria launched sometime ago during OBJ's regime that was suppose to be monitoring the earth? What are those guys at Obasanjo Space centre doing? Didn't they foresee the situation? Shouldn't someone be sacked?

Obviously u were busy watching Africa magic and failed to listen to the news where many weeks ago, several warnings were given on tv and radio and in the papers about potential flooding...
Maybe if u have running stomach, govt must be to blame.... angry
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by mfolarin(m): 1:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
hardbody:

You use night bus?

No, I didn't. Got to Lokoja from Lagos 6pm on Thursday. Left for Lagos next day by 12noon.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2012
binger: you must be vry high on ganga! Didn't geography teach u about preventive measures against overfloodin in coastal areas by using water breakers & barriers Wast'd education.u ignoranc is ur mountain

Kai! You foolishness is worse! Water breakers yeah? Ok, in the west with all the flooding in parts of China and co, why didn't they use water breakers to stop it?
I suspect you actually didn't study geography and you're here grand standing hopelessly...mscheeeewww angry
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by floridam(m): 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Too bad
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 24, 2012
IF THAT ROAD IS REPAIRED THIS YEAR, I PROMISE TO LAY AN EGG HERE ON NAIRALAND.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by omoijoba1: 2:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
adewasco2k: the pix above is old really......you gotta to see the same place now. should take some fotos to share later
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
I almost passed through Lokoja from Ilorin to Jos last Friday, but cosmic intervend and diverted our journy, that started arond 8:00am, trough Mokwa-Jebba road, it was hell but we reached Jos around 8:30pm.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
ogbeche77: My question to FRSC is 'What is the current condition of the alternate route?' In a pathetic state i guess
Am sure this disaster did not happen overnight

....alternate route? From Lagos to Abuja
I bet you won't want to try it,....Lagos-Ibadan-Ogbomoso-Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa-Bida-Abuja!!!!
Ogbomoso-Ilorin is manageable
Ilorin-Jebba is a DEATH TRAP (I suppose its worse than the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Rd),...except of course you drive thru Ilorin town,...burst out in Bode-Sadu,...then straight to Jebba.
Jebba-Mokwa is another living hell
....bottomline,...forget an alternate route,simply saty put in Lagos or Abuja jeje
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by kayswag100(m): 4:11pm On Sep 24, 2012
folks dat have plied d Benin-Abuja-jos or simply Benin-abuja rd. Hw EXACTLY is d rd?

I HAVE TO BE IN JOS TOMORROW from benin.

Travelling with my wife and 1 yr old twin daughters 2mrw. What r alternate routes 2 take from benin?
Pls i NEED ur help and pls dont tell me to take a flight coz it isnt an option 4 me/us NOW!
Thanx!
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by stagger: 4:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
kayswag100: folks dat have plied d Benin-Abuja-jos or simply Benin-abuja rd. Hw EXACTLY is d rd?

Travelling with my wife and 1 yr old twin daughters 2mrw. What r alternate routes 2 take from benin?
Pls i NEED ur help and pls dont tell me to take a flight coz it isnt an option 4 me/us NOW!
Thanx!

Brother, if you can, find money and fly: do not subject your 1 year old children to that stress. Your route is as follows:

Benin - Agbor - Auchi - Okene - Ayingba - Ankpa - Makurdi - Akwanga/Lafia - Abuja. In essence, you will do a complete C movement from Benin to Ankpa, then resume the northwards movement again.

Alternatively: (I ACTUALLY THINK THIS IS SHORTER): Benin - Asaba - Onitsha - Enugu (one vehicle), then Enugu - Nsukka - Ankpa - Makurdi - Akwanga/Lafia - Abuja.

You will spend close to 20 hours on the road. To avoid your suffering, you can break the journey into 2 by stopping at Nsukka or Obollo-Afor to pass the night in a hotel, then resume the torture the next day.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
Frankie9ice:

....alternate route? From Lagos to Abuja
I bet you won't want to try it,....Lagos-Ibadan-Ogbomoso-Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa-Bida-Abuja!!!!
Ogbomoso-Ilorin is manageable
Ilorin-Jebba is a DEATH TRAP (I suppose its worse than the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Rd),...except of course you drive thru Ilorin town,...burst out in Bode-Sadu,...then straight to Jebba.
Jebba-Mokwa is another living hell
....bottomline,...forget an alternate route,simply saty put in Lagos or Abuja jeje
Ogbomoso - Ilorin is like 40 mins. There is an old route, very straight forward not too bad sha and there's a new route clean express with some turns but no bumps what so ever. Ask passerbys for directions they'll show you.

Abang Mercy ‏@AbangMercy

Motorist from the South East should use Otukpa-Makurdi route, and those driving from Abuja to Lokoja should use Akwanga-Lafia-Makurdi-Ankpa
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 24, 2012
stagger:

Brother, if you can, find money and fly: do not subject your 1 year old children to that stress. Your route is as follows:

Benin - Agbor - Auchi - Okene - Ayingba - Ankpa - Makurdi - Akwanga/Lafia - Abuja. In essence, you will do a complete C movement from Benin to Ankpa, then resume the northwards movement again.

Alternatively: (I ACTUALLY THINK THIS IS SHORTER): Benin - Asaba - Onitsha - Enugu (one vehicle), then Enugu - Nsukka - Ankpa - Makurdi - Akwanga/Lafia - Abuja.

You will spend close to 20 hours on the road. To avoid your suffering, you can break the journey into 2 by stopping at Nsukka or Obollo-Afor to pass the night in a hotel, then resume the torture the next day.
Na wa ooo... With all this directions, it either you are a luxurious bus driver or you assisted in drawing Nigeria map
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by strangest(m): 7:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
josh4ever:

Obviously u were busy watching Africa magic and failed to listen to the news where many weeks ago, several warnings were given on tv and radio and in the papers about potential flooding...
Maybe if u have running stomach, govt must be to blame.... angry

Sir, no offence but what did the government do to curtail it from spreading further?
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by taharqa: 7:31pm On Sep 24, 2012
strangest:

Sir, no offence but what did the government do to curtail it from spreading further?
The increasd d rituals aimd at appeasing the goddess of the river so as to 'curtail it(the raving waters) from spreading further'. they are still doing dat nw to wade off more of her anger...stupid questn.u guys apparently cant distinguish bw natural disasters and man-made ones
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Virginkid(m): 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
ogbeche77:
Na wa ooo... With all this directions, it either you are a luxurious bus driver or you assisted in drawing Nigeria map

Very ;DFunny.

But it isnt funny as it seems, that state govt should liase with all neccessary agencies and provide a lasting solution because it has been happening every year witout anybody doing the right thing. It hasnt gone to this extent all this years(dat explains d seat back n do nothin attitude). God almighty help us,Amen.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by kayswag100(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2012
stagger:

thanx man 4 taking ur tym 2 direct me.
...as I said flying isnt an OPTION!
We may just find somewhre 2 lodge when d journey gets too long.
Again, thnx! U r d best!!!
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by rhymz(m): 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
BeraBera: They released a statement that people traveling from Abuja should go thorough Makurdi, Lafia
You are right. As I write, I am in a bus from Lagos going to Abuja and can you believe that we are still in igbokodo Benue state. Journey still far, I reckon we will get to Abuja by 12am today, they say the markudi route is extra 6hrs to the journey. What a journey. Heard students from the Universities there have been spoiling for a fight with any politician they see there.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by stagger: 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
ogbeche77:

Brother, the only states I have not traversed by road are Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Yobe, Adamawa, Taraba, Borno and Bauchi states. I have either lived in or have been to all other states in Nigeria (22 states + FCT), and most of this in the last 10 years. It pays to know your country. You never know when the information comes in handy, especially when you take bypass routes.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by kawkab: 8:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
folks dat have plied d Benin-Abuja-jos or simply Benin-abuja rd. Hw EXACTLY is d rd?

Thanx!

If you are traveling from Benin to Jos, your best bet is to join arik Air from Benin Airport to abuja. From Abuja you then take a Jos bound vehicle. but if you decide to go by road, this is your route Benin to Onitsha (1hr 15minutes) or Benin to Enugu Direct through Faith Motors (2:30minutes) from Enugu you can get a direct vehicle to Jos that would pass through Night Mile - Nsukka - Otukpa - Markurdi - Lafia - Akwanga - Sanga - Forest - Jos (7:30minutes)

For those going to Abuja from the Lagos Ibadan Axis, you have two options[i][/i]

Option One - Lagos - Ibadan - Oyo Town - Ogbomosho - Ilorin - Bode Sadu - Jebba - Mokwa - Kutigi - Bida - Lapai - Lambatta - Suleija - Abuja (this would take a minimum of 12 hours hoping that no vehicles / trailers breaks down along the Jebba mokwa axis) The Bode-sadu - Jebba - Mokwa - Kutigi - Bidda Axis is tortuous, you will feel like crying in the car. Please if you must pass through this route, try as much as you can to join fully Air conditioned car and dont try sitting on the last row of a Toyota Hiaice bus; preferably join a Toyota Sienna SUV at Jibowu; This would cost about N11,000.00 ( your are sure to spent at least 12 hours here. get prepared buy biscuits and Gala and water because apart from jebba most other place that the vehicle would stop you would not get something good to buy except dankwa, kulikuli and bread).

Option Two - Lagos - Ibadan - Akure - Owo - Akoko - Ibillio - Ogori Magongo - Okenne - Ajaokuta - Itobe - Anyigba - Ankpa - Otukpa Junction (then a complete C - Turn) - Makurdi - Lafia - Akwanga - Keffi - Abuja. this would take about 14 hours, it is longer but fewer bad spots.

Before some posters would start asking how I got to know this routes, I am a regular traveler and my job takes to me to different parts of this country. Just yesterday i traveled to Ibadan from abuja through the Jebba - Mokwa Ilorin road and on Wednesday last week i traveled from Enugu to Abuja through Lokoja; then the flood was just at the edge of the road.

Best of luck to all travelers.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by stagger: 8:55pm On Sep 24, 2012
kayswag100:

thanx man 4 taking ur tym 2 direct me.
...as I said flying isnt an OPTION!
We may just find somewhre 2 lodge when d journey gets too long.
Again, thnx! U r d best!!!

Please for the sake of your children, find a place to lodge probably in Makurdi. Benin to Makurdi will take about 8 hours. Lodge there, then set off next morning from Makurdi to FCT using New Nyanya transport services or Pleasure Travels. Best bet for you. 1 year old children should not be made to endure 20 hours on the road. Frankly.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by stagger: 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
kawkab:

If you are traveling from Benin to Jos, your best bet is to join arik Air from Benin Airport to abuja. From Abuja you then take a Jos bound vehicle. but if you decide to go by road, this is your route Benin to Onitsha (1hr 15minutes) or Benin to Enugu Direct through Faith Motors (2:30minutes) from Enugu you can get a direct vehicle to Jos that would pass through Night Mile - Nsukka - Otukpa - Markurdi - Lafia - Akwanga - Sanga - Forest - Jos (7:30minutes)

For those going to Abuja from the Lagos Ibadan Axis, you have two options[i][/i]

Option One - Lagos - Ibadan - Oyo Town - Ogbomosho - Ilorin - Bode Sadu - Jebba - Mokwa - Kutigi - Bida - Lapai - Lambatta - Suleija - Abuja (this would take a minimum of 12 hours hoping that no vehicles / trailers breaks down along the Jebba mokwa axis) The Bode-sadu - Jebba - Mokwa - Kutigi - Bidda Axis is tortuous, you will feel like crying in the car. Please if you must pass through this route, try as much as you can to join fully Air conditioned car and dont try sitting on the last row of a Toyota Hiaice bus; preferably join a Toyota Sienna SUV at Jibowu; This would cost about N11,000.00 ( your are sure to spent at least 12 hours here. get prepared buy biscuits and Gala and water because apart from jebba most other place that the vehicle would stop you would not get something good to buy except dankwa, kulikuli and bread).

Option Two - Lagos - Ibadan - Akure - Owo - Akoko - Ibillio - Ogori Magongo - Okenne - Ajaokuta - Itobe - Anyigba - Ankpa - Otukpa Junction (then a complete C - Turn) - Makurdi - Lafia - Akwanga - Keffi - Abuja. this would take about 14 hours, it is longer but fewer bad spots.

Before some posters would start asking how I got to know this routes, I am a regular traveler and my job takes to me to different parts of this country. Just yesterday i traveled to Ibadan from abuja through the Jebba - Mokwa Ilorin road and on Wednesday last week i traveled from Enugu to Abuja through Lokoja; then the flood was just at the edge of the road.

Best of luck to all travelers.

Good directions, but you underestimated some distances. For instance, Benin to Onitsha through the Benin-Asaba road and then across the Niger bridge will take about 3 hours. That is assuming there is no hold up on the Niger bridge because it can be a nightmare. I have once spent 2 hours at that spot looking at the bridge and yet unable to cross it because of traffic.

Then from Onitsha to Enugu is 2 hours confirmed: that road is bad at several spots and currently undergoing rehabilitation.

So it is important our travelers know what to expect. Pray seriously to Jehovah God that there are no breakdowns or delays on any of the single lane roads because that is when the marginally bearable will become highly unbearable.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by otokx(m): 9:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
Things are surely getting better.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by rhymz(m): 9:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
The route our driver has taken so far is quite different from the ones given here. From Ibadan-Osun-okenne-benue and now we are in Makurdi. We are going to get to Abuja today by 12am that is for sure.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by eaglechild: 9:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
Seriously, anyone who can afford it shld say a prayer, get to the nearest airport and buy a flight ticket.
Those roads are death traps.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by otokx(m): 10:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
can we have some pictures?
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Dogzimalon: 11:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
what of the road to nasarawa state polythecnic to lafia ?is it not shoter than going through akwanga to lafia from abuja?
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by BusHouse(m): 2:00am On Sep 25, 2012
Imanuelle: Isn't that a federal road7
FRSC betta get deir sorry ass down dere with some reasonable manpower.....
D water i met there wasn't funny.

What are d boats going to do dere? Will dey lift our cars?
Dey should betta think of a way to pump off A̶̲̥̅̊¿¿ d H20
Pump wetin? The boat is meant to ferry passengers across, while the vehicles are pushed through the flood for #1k in the day & #2k @ night.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by rhymz(m): 2:49am On Sep 25, 2012
Mehn I have suffered on the way today. Imagine we just arrived Abuja now at 2:43. . .mehn, I am sleeping at this park till it is early. What a journey! I can't even sleep sef, so tired from the journey.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by coolsamie0(m): 6:59am On Sep 25, 2012
The alternative routes is simply bad news. I'm serving in Benue and the journey to Markudi frm Lagos is abt 13-14 hrs. I wonder aw long it is to Abuja frm Markudi. Nigerian Roads ar simply Bad News
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 25, 2012
Chai!! I'm in Abuja n nid to get to Awka 2morow. Pls I nid help on how to go about dis and transit time estimates.
Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by dukila: 11:53am On Sep 25, 2012
Na die oh

Re: FRSC Closes Lokoja-abuja Highway For Road Users Safety by stagger: 9:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
DanoskyZ: Chai!! I'm in Abuja n nid to get to Awka 2morow. Pls I nid help on how to go about dis and transit time estimates.

Best bet for you to avoid any long stories is to take a flight from Abj to Enugu and then complete your journey top Awka. Unless you want to go to Lafia - Makurdi - Otukpa - Nsukka - Enugu - Awka.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Uncovers 62,892 ‘Ghost’ Workers, Saves N208.7bn / Gov Ortom Finally Visits Agatu After Weeks Of Attack By Fulani Hersdmen. Photos / Governors Celebrate Buhari’s 75th Birthday In Aso Rock (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.