Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

How Do You Punish Your Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Punish Your Children? (9968 Views)

How Do You Punish Your Teenage Girls When They Misbehave? / Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly / Best Way to Punish Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by remmyton(f): 2:40pm On Sep 26, 2012
my daughter is very naughty, ask her to go and sleep when she does something wrong and hear her begging. well, as for my other babies, they are no trouble at all
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by olu4life(m): 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
Am not married,talkless of having kids. But when i have one,i will surely discipline dem when they misbehave. I dont believe in talking sense to them,can only do that wheen they are teens. If u discipline them from childhood,u wont have problem talking to them when they are teens. Punishments like stool down, ride okada, etc are the best,i swear. I pity those saying they wont punish their kids.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by beautifulcrystalsyahooc: 2:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
Kobojunkie: Put the oven on at 400 degree farenheit and then tell them to kneel in front of the open oven with their arms stretched out in front. grin grin grin grin grin
Garri_is_back: The best way grin
wandeay: how soldier punish a civilian, exactly!
2 big stones on the head, kneeling down on small stones, 5 strokes of koboko on the back, and no food throughout the next day, finally, sleep in guard room the third day, after released, cleans the compound. . .
No matter how minimal the offence.

haaa embarassed
Kobojunkie: Put the oven on at 400 degree farenheit and then tell them to kneel in front of the open oven with their arms stretched out in front. grin grin grin grin grin
Garri_is_back: The best way grin
2 big stones on the head, kneeling down on small stones, 5 strokes of koboko on the back, and no food throughout the next day, finally, sleep in guard room the third day, after released, cleans the compound. . .

Aaaaah
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by greatgod2012(f): 3:07pm On Sep 26, 2012
2 big stones on the head, kneeling down on small stones, 5 strokes of koboko on the back, and no food throughout the next day, finally, sleep in guard room the third day, after release, cleans the compound. . .

i want to believe u are joking, just say that..........joking
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by stepo707: 3:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
most of this punishments you parents are giving here,if you try it in the US,na jail straight.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
stepo707: most of this punishments you parents are giving here,if you try it in the US,na jail straight.
^^True indeed. However some states are more lenient with parental discipline. I remember when I was a child, I had all sorts of attemtped beatings that I ran from. However, there was no running from my father. He got me twice in his life, and I remember them both. The mental scars did not go away until a few years ago. undecided As for my own, I usually take away a favorite activity or toy. The last spanking I gave was probably 2 months ago due to running out of bible study class and disobeying the Sunday school teacher. I didn't mince any words, just took one arm and off we went to the bathroom for a meeting between a hand and bottom. Afterwards, I talked about respect and sent my baby back to class. When I went back after the service, there was my little darling sweeping the floor and asking the teacher if there was anything else that needed to be done grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by yuzedo: 4:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
Truth is, pikin wey go useless go useless!

Some kids have never chopped slap, knock or cane before, yet they are the most decent, thoughtful, moral and obedient. kiss

Other kids, you go see mark all over their body, their head don take oblong shape with koko all over from knock and kondo wey dem don chop for head, yet na dem dey bad pass upon all the beating since childhood! grin sad

Na just to pray for better pikin wey go get sense. Wey no go need punishment to do the right thing, and if im need small "correction", to accept am and change for the betterment of im future.

The elders have spoken! wink

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by spawnx: 4:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
@yuzedo I tell them that on their next vacation i will take them to Uganda, Malawi, Limpopo, Burundi, Ekiti, etc instead of
USA, Dubai, UK, Canada, France. . Works like a charm!

why u come put Ekiti with the bunch? Tons of out backing sports in Ekiti
@yuzedo I tell them that on their next vacation i will take them to Uganda, Malawi, Limpopo, Burundi, Ekiti, etc instead of

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by spawnx: 4:42pm On Sep 26, 2012

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Adufaye(m): 4:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
Am nt a dad nw.....bt pls parent dnt tel ur children,"weitin u dey do me ur children go do u 2"dats a bad word,u r layin cus on dem,nd if he/she grows up n bcum poor,or start hvin 1 probs or d oda,it wil den turn 2 "d cus came 4rm vilage while it was d parent cos! Jst beta tel dem,"it wil b beta 4 u,nd u wil nt c bad in lyf,ur generation wil praise u" no mata wat dey do or hw angry u are!!! God bles u parents n God bles your born n unborn children....! God bles naija
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by OmoAlata(f): 5:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
iyatrustee: for my daughter, i simply refuse to take her for her gramma's place! cheesy cheesy cheesy

She must have a lovely grandma grin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by OmoAlata(f): 5:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
stepo707: most of this punishments you parents are giving here,if you try it in the US,na jail straight.

I'm sure I won't be jailed for threatening to send my kids to my mother grin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
I tie them upside down like a pendulum,and use koboko to beat their bumbum.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Ama28(f): 1:52am On Sep 27, 2012
Some of the response really got me smiling. But seriously I know that the OP might have used the word "punish" for ease communication but its so wrong. You correct and discipline your kids.

The major difference is that you set the house rules together (with the kids) and attribute corrective measures like not watching favourite TV shows and doing house chores with mum, spending time in the room among other positive forms of discipline.

We use this in our postive discipline and parenting training and later you see olders kids implementing it even in your absence. Example if you use foul language you say sorry. When the kids are alone, if any of the kids use such word, the others will insist on being apologized to. It is same with violence, if you tell your kids to ride okada when they use foul language, when your not there, the older will make the younger ride your precious okada too as punishment.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by vivianc(f): 9:02am On Sep 27, 2012
Well, I'm not a mum yet, but I'm a guardian. When my younger ones misbehave, for the teens first of all they will be technologically grounded; no phones, tv, movies, music, pc, etc. And to top it all I deny them my smiles and sometimes I beat them too. For the kids, I just threaten to send them to the village, no movies, or I bring out my doctor do good....lol....they sit up big time!
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by engrtee(f): 9:31am On Sep 27, 2012
D same way my parent punishd me. KOBOKO, CANE, BROOM STIK TO FLOG ME. SlAP AT TIMES
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by OmoAlata(f): 11:10am On Sep 27, 2012
engrtee: D same way my parent punishd me.

That's my one fear. To turn into my mother. If I become her, God help my kids.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by deeteeneey(f): 11:47am On Sep 27, 2012
Omo Alata:

That's my one fear. To turn into my mother. If I become her, God help my kids.
amin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Kinddyman(m): 5:43pm On Sep 27, 2012
imagine that u r already in love with a gal, or woman, then all of a sudden, someone just put a stop to it. Its painful u know?. So I think ''deprivation'' is a GOOD GOOD one. Thanx, call me whenever u have any other problem to solve. And 4 dis u r welcome. Bye.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 27, 2012
When my Son was younger he didnt like to eat so I would threaten him that if he doesnt eat I will give him drugs, that always worked like a charm. Little did i know that my maid had explained to him the benefits of taking drugs and even taken drugs with him one day pretended to like the taste to get him to take his drugs one day, so the boy was over his fear / dislike of drugs. One day, feeding time, he started trouble, i just said 'oya bring medicine this boy doesnt want to eat" the boy looked straight in my eyes and said "yes, let them brring the medicine, i will drink it but I wont eat this food, " I had to change tactics oh

1 Like

Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 27, 2012
If my eldest daughter misbehaves, I send her to sit at the bottom of the stairs. No TV, no toys. Generally between 2 and 5 minutes, it works a treat.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
Siena: If my eldest daughter misbehaves, I send her to sit at the bottom of the stairs. No TV, no toys. Generally between 2 and 5 minutes, it works a treat.

this doesn't work for me - My daughter is at that terrible twos stage and right now its a battle and she seems to be winning!! but one thing about her she does not misbehave with other people.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 28, 2012
cotton101:

this doesn't work for me - My daughter is at that terrible twos stage and right now its a battle and she seems to be winning!! but one thing about her she does not misbehave with other people.
You have to be firm, even when you feel like giving in, hold on, remind youself you are not hurting but helping. Children are very smart they know what they can get away with and from who. My small son plays us like magic, he knows what his father will allow, he knows what I will allow and he knew what his former Nanny will allow. Kids are very smart, be firm, tell her to sit there and tell her why, when she sees you dont respond to her tantrums and screams she will mellow
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by kodewrita(m): 7:20am On Sep 30, 2012
I will definitely whip my kids if it ever becomes necessary. However there are many ways to discipline children. A little creativity helps.

A note of warning to one of the earlier posters, using chores as punishment only reinforces the belief that chores are to be avoided. Kids should be made to see them as necessary not avoidable calamities.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 01, 2012
Efemena_xy: There are some really sick minds on this thread...

And they actually act out their depravity. Heaven help those kids sad

I tire O! Jeezz... I'm outa here.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by maclatunji: 11:32am On Oct 04, 2012
Write me a 5,000-word report on the challenges and prospects of Nigeria. grin
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by relaxbeauty: 4:12pm On Oct 14, 2012
when punishing children it is important to make them understand the purpose of the punishment. there is no use punishing a child without making them understand..they're just going to repeat the same mistake. 'rod' doesn't necessarily mean 'stick' or 'cane'. it could mean a good scolding, detention, or time-out as well. a parent can also deprive them of something they like.
Re: How Do You Punish Your Children? by chic2007: 10:27am On Apr 30, 2013
For my five year old, I spank her when she is naughty. For my teenagers, I retrieve their laptops, blackberry phones(which is only available during holidays) and ban them from watching any T.V programmes whatsoever- I actually disconnect the cables and take them with me when going to work so they don't put it on when they return from school grin

All their spare time is used for reading. It works like magic. They are all so remorseful and behave like angels for a while till ........the cycle starts again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Reduce Your Prepaid Meter Credit Consumption / Unemployed Man Marrying An Unemployed Woman; Your Take? / Have You Ever Lied To Your Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.