Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly (7890 Views)

When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? / Should Parents UnCloth In Presence Of Their Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Princephelar(m): 5:37pm On Sep 29, 2012
Ever since my childhood,I've being wondering,why is it that when I get punished wrongly,I don't recieve a sorry.... And since then uptill now,it seems to me like INJUSTICE... What do you think of it?

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by k2039: 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2012
[size=13pt]
Yes,I think they should say sorry when they punish their children wrongly
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Mowire: 5:57pm On Sep 29, 2012
Yes. They should. I would.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by slimyem: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2012
My mum once judged and punished me in error.....
I never forgot it and something else made me bring it up some months later.
She apologised and explained the reason for her judgement.
I know i'd have kept a grudge against her for a very long time if she hadn't.
Its only reasonable that one should admit the mistakes they make and amend where necessary no matter who the offended party is...especially with children who hardly ever forget anything!!!

5 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 29, 2012
saying sorry doesn't mean Parents should postrait and start begging the child.. "sorry" could be express with a funny smile, gift, joke etc

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by weaseloo: 8:01pm On Sep 29, 2012
Here is an experience I have never forgotten.
When I was 7 years old, my father returned from the village with plenty "udala". I was given my own share and when I finished it, I wanted more. So I went to the fridge to take another one and my elder sister discouraged me threatening to report me. I did not take the udala but stayed in the kitchen for a while to drink some water. When I came out my sister believed that indeed I had taken the udala and licked it before coming out. She went straight to our dad who canned me very well. Although I have forgiven, but such an experience hurt a lot. Nobody believed me when I said I did not take it. And nobody said sorry. sad
My dad gave me a good cuddle when I was crying though tongue.

Anyway, yes, I think parents should apologise in such situations. You are also teaching the child how to admit their wrong doing without being afraid. You are also teaching them how to be considerate and to forgive. This way, they will learn not to hold grudges (which is a heart eater).

9 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 30, 2012
Whenever my mom punishes me unjustly and i prove to her respectfully dat she punished me unjustly,she says sorry,but my dad doesnt,he can just laff n turn it to a jokin natter,but @ d end of d day he wont say sorry

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by maclatunji: 8:58am On Sep 30, 2012
Many Nigerian parents don't say sorry. They should!

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 30, 2012
acidosis™:
saying sorry doesn't mean Parents should postrait and start begging the child.. "sorry" could be express with a funny smile, gift, joke etc
exactly! Though my parents told me sorry most times, but sometimes I do shakara for them unless they give me gifts.
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 30, 2012
I say: Yes, they should. It's healthy for the family and teaches their children how to apologize. It also teaches them that everybody makes mistakes, which is ok. But most importantly, it teaches them how to cope with mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Pennywise(m): 10:38am On Sep 30, 2012
'Punished Wrongly' is an opinion of the youngster. The overriding opinion in a family situation is the father's opinion.

And no man is ready to be a father unless he is ready to look his child in d eye and wield that stick (whether his heart bleeds or not)
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Princephelar(m): 10:51am On Sep 30, 2012
@pennywise,how about when a child is punished for stealing when he or she didn't... That's what I mean by being punished wrongly... Punishment for things not done...

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Princephelar(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2012
@acidosis,have you been in that shoes before? If your pa or ma should laugh it off,it hurts the more... I think the word 'SORRY' is the most difficult thing to say by most nigerian parents,even when They're wrong... Even when you laugh it off,or buy a gift,let your child hear the word sorry... It'll do no harm. My ma once punished me for been covetous,I slept off while weeping,waking up,she gave me a 50kobo coin to buy grandnut and eat,I was reluctant,but she said I should take it,that this time it is my right... That's how children are,they feel reluctant when punished for their wrong doing,how much more when they are punished wrongly... It hurts more... I submit that saying sorry should also be done verbally,even if you'll laugh it off... But there are some issues that can never be laughed off,else you cause more harm,such issues should be handed with all sincerity,nothing pleases children than sincerity... Just be sincere,let them see it and you'll see them forget it issues like they never happened...

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Princephelar(m): 4:33pm On Oct 22, 2012
weaseloo: Here is an experience I have never forgotten.
When I was 7 years old, my father returned from the village with plenty "udala". I was given my own share and when I finished it, I wanted more. So I went to the fridge to take another one and my elder sister discouraged me threatening to report me. I did not take the udala but stayed in the kitchen for a while to drink some water. When I came out my sister believed that indeed I had taken the udala and licked it before coming out. She went straight to our dad who canned me very well. Although I have forgiven, but such an experience hurt a lot. Nobody believed me when I said I did not take it. And nobody said sorry. sad
My dad gave me a good cuddle when I was crying though tongue.

Anyway, yes, I think parents should apologise in such situations. You are also teaching the child how to admit their wrong doing without being afraid. You are also teaching them how to be considerate and to forgive. This way, they will learn not to hold grudges (which is a heart eater).
..... And That's what I mean

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by greatgod2012(f): 3:47am On Oct 23, 2012
God is not mocked, whatever u sow, u shall reap.
When a parent punishes wrongly and refuse to say sorry, that is pride and wickedness.............simple.
Admitted, yes, nobody is beyond mistake,but when we do,we shoud learn to say sorry...........it sooths.
Another reason why we should is dt, most of d time,we grow up to become like our parent and our children also, most of d time grow up to become like us,so if we've shown them some traces of pride and wickedness , that is what they will likely become in future. As 4 me, i say sorry to them a lot, infact, dt word "sorry" is very close to my mouth. Not only to my children alone, but everybody around me dt deserves it, i have discovered its soothing element, so i say it often to sooth pple's wounds.

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by ifihearam: 2:05pm On Oct 23, 2012
MY MOM DOES SOMETIMES OOO,BUT MY FATHER WILL NEVER OOOOO
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by OILOFGLADNESS: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2012
Princephelar: Ever since my childhood,I've being wondering,why is it that when I get punished wrongly,I don't recieve a sorry.... And since then uptill now,it seems to me like INJUSTICE... What do you think of it?

yes, that is an etiquette and courtesy and for you o inculcate that in the life of your children you should live an exemplary life.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by ybot: 2:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
well i tink parents shuld apologise cos sumtimes wen d children is innocent and he suffers for wat he did not do,after punishment, the child will now tink of doing it..4 instance wen i was a little yunger,i was accused of stealing 10,000 naira nd after punishmenti made sure i actually stole the money since i ve already been beaten.....if my parents had apologised,i wuldnt av tot of taking any money 4 the sake of revenge...so i tink they need 2 apologise
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Afam4eva(m): 2:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
In Africa, parents don't say sorry to their kids. They can't do any wrong, only kids can. It has a lot to do with EGO and pride. They feel that if they apologize to their children, it's a sign of weakness.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Fhemmmy: 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yes!
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by santafe(m): 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yes they should. That's the way to lead by example.
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
ybot: well i tink parents shuld apologise cos sumtimes wen d children is innocent and he suffers for wat he did not do,after punishment, the child will now tink of doing it..4 instance wen i was a little yunger,i was accused of stealing 10,000 naira nd after punishmenti made sure i actually stole the money since i ve already been beaten.....if my parents had apologised,i wuldnt av tot of taking any money 4 the sake of revenge...so i tink they need 2 apologise
for you to be accused means they think you are capable of doing that. Damn! N10K when you were little? Guy, no offence but you be thief o!
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2012
Pennywise: 'Punished Wrongly' is an opinion of the youngster. The overriding opinion in a family situation is the father's opinion.

And no man is ready to be a father unless he is ready to look his child in d eye and wield that stick (whether his heart bleeds or not)
so are you saying a parent can never punish his child wrongly? Or didn't you read the experience of the other posters?

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by kuntash: 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2012
Na question be that? Certainly Yes , abi you no get conscience?
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by slimming: 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
Princephelar: Ever since my childhood,I've being wondering,why is it that when I get punished wrongly,I don't recieve a sorry.... And since then uptill now,it seems to me like INJUSTICE... What do you think of it?

You can not be a judge in your own case. Parent is always the judge at that stage.
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
Well...it is the African way of family training.But thank God for western influence.Respect is being shown to kids by their parents in MOST families.Also a big thanks to The Bible as it is written in the book of Timothy: 'parents do not provoke you children to anger'. Its just that some are yet to know the negative effect of not apologising to kids when they are wrong.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by dopeJemi: 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yeah

Buh mah father haz neva heard of d word called "sorry" b4
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Super1759: 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2012
siddon there deh wait for "sorry" u go cry until u transcend from cry to sleep grin cheesy grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Egbagirl(f): 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yes most definitely!
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by yomtolly(f): 2:36pm On Oct 23, 2012
Why not...
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Taiwo20(m): 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2012
And wht would the 'sorry' do.
I try as much as possible to avoid receiving sorry. Per.sin wey dem blind,sorry no fit give am sight o
Re: Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly by Linguist(f): 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2012
Yes our parents should apologize to us when we are wrongly punished.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why And How She Cheated On Her Husband; True Life Story. / My Husband's Confession / Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.