Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road (26077 Views)

Tiger-nut Seller In Suit At Abuja Market (Photo) / Python Swallows Livestock As A Result Of The Flooding / Abuja-lokoja Road Blocked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Tinyemeka(m): 10:38am On Sep 26, 2012
I passed that road while travelling to Abj on Saturday the 15th. The roads then, were ok. What we saw were partially submerged houses that had been built close to the river. But by Friday of the following week on my return trip, the road had become impassable with the water a foot deep and 2 feet in some places. Mind you, this road is on an embankment, so the water level had risen at least 5 feet in the course of just 1 week. And it is still rising.

I've also heard rumours that the offending dam in Cameroun will soon be opened again to release excess water.

An alternative route should be devised for the road commuters. I don't know why roads should be built so close to rivers and long stretches for that matter. In the meantime, the FG has been acting as if the issue is a trivial one that does not warrant their action. That is bad.

What is needed now is an intervention by the FG with the Camerounian Govt at national level.

2 Likes

Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by BlueMurder(m): 10:40am On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva: What are cars and people doing walking on top of river NIger. can people now walk on water like Jesus did? Or is that nor River Niger again?

It's the Abuja-Lokoja Highway, man, albeit submerged in water.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 26, 2012
Buying a Man-diesel 16 tires will do for Nigerian roads. Pimping it with nice chrome wheels, nice sound systems will really make it nice. Better than Hummer or any SUV in this kind of terrain
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Biggyd2: 10:42am On Sep 26, 2012
OMg. This is not just good.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Odinaka00(m): 10:43am On Sep 26, 2012
al-qaeda:

CONTINUE SUFFERING THEN. I PRAY IT GETS WORSE.

Dude re U̶̲̥̅̊ 4 real?
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by maclatunji: 10:44am On Sep 26, 2012
Cuddlemii: Why doesn't the world come to an end once and for all?

What's the point of poor civilians suffering all the time?

Aren't we ready to depart from this sorrowful earth?

Would I blame all these on Jonathan's regime?

Could Jonathan be bad luck and curse to Nigeria?

Who is to blame?

Confused woman.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 26, 2012
BROS I AM OH. BUT WHEN I POST AND SOMEONE SAYS ITS MY PORTION, THEN I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO SAY WATS IN MY MIND. WHEN U SEE SOMETIN LIKE THAT IT HURTS AND OTHERS ARE BUSY LOOTING IN ADVANCE. AND SOME1 WILL NOW TELL YOU ITS UR PORTION. SO LET IT GET WORSE AND THEN TELL ME IF ITS MY PORTION.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by slimojas89(m): 10:50am On Sep 26, 2012
this is really terrible..how do we get our G4 from the north now? nna, na wa o
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Kslib(m): 10:51am On Sep 26, 2012
igbsam:
My brother, i 2 gbadun dat substance wey u dey take high yourself and reason somehow and anyhow. Abeg, na how many days u use dry am for sun wey e take get enough ginger like this
so tey e step up your reasoning.
My guy i don dry am since october last year.. I con mix am with yellow garri...
Only drag alone go make you kolo..
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by maclatunji: 10:52am On Sep 26, 2012
Tinyemeka: I passed that road while travelling to Abj on Saturday the 15th. The roads then, were ok. What we saw were partially submerged houses that had been built close to the river. But by Friday of the following week on my return trip, the road had become impassable with the water a foot deep and 2 feet in some places. Mind you, this road is on an embankment, so the water level had risen at least 5 feet in the course of just 1 week. And it is still rising.

I've also heard rumours that the offending dam in Cameroun will soon be opened again to release excess water.

An alternative route should be devised for the road commuters. I don't know why roads should be built so close to rivers and long stretches for that matter. In the meantime, the FG has been acting as if the issue is a trivial one that does not warrant their action. That is bad.

What is needed now is an intervention by the FG with the Camerounian Govt at national level.

Will our people ever learn to elect people that actually have the capacity to change their lives for the better and protect their interests?

Our dear President is playing to the gallery in New York when millions of his citizens are in misery from these floods.

I make bold to say that Mukina2 has a better understanding of the gravity of these floods than our President, see how she has been presenting it on front page.

I don't believe any government can be this incompetent!
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Kslib(m): 10:53am On Sep 26, 2012
slimojas89: this is really terrible..how do we get our G4 from the north now? nna, na wa o
By water nah.. We are currently frying a new breed of garri that is water resistant...
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by member479760: 10:58am On Sep 26, 2012
water full everywhere and no water to drink.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by DANILSA(m): 10:58am On Sep 26, 2012
al-qaeda:

CONTINUE SUFFERING THEN. I PRAY IT GETS WORSE.
Wish u what u wish them not me.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Witi(m): 11:06am On Sep 26, 2012
Apart from the torrental rainfall and the water released from cameroon. Assuming the river niger dredging project was not handled with levity probably the incidence wouldnt have been devastating.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nwogbe: 11:06am On Sep 26, 2012
Why all the lamentations about Jona being a curse and so forth? These things happens every where now, even in that your so called advanced countries. Its simple Geography " climate change as a result of global warming" that simple. Look out for more as the years goes by as long as we continue to ruin the amazon and the earth at large.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by luluosas(m): 11:07am On Sep 26, 2012
God please, have mercy.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 26, 2012
If such a disaster had happened in a civilized country, the president/prime minister would have cut short his New York trip, come to visit the site, direct remedial action and take steps to mitigate its impact. But no, not Nigeria.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by jadakiss213(m): 11:23am On Sep 26, 2012
This is a Natural Disaster for Christ Sakes,Its beyond everyone..Focus should be on Relief issues now..
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by SamMilla1(m): 11:25am On Sep 26, 2012
obadiah777: christ is coming. its obvious.

Is He coming through the River Niger flood?
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by PetroDolla: 11:30am On Sep 26, 2012
Smart jeezy: Are u from Ghana MR?

Ghana ke? What has Ghana got to do with anything, moro.n? sad
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by maclatunji: 11:30am On Sep 26, 2012
Nwogbe: Why all the lamentations about Jona being a curse and so forth? These things happens every where now, even in that your so called advanced countries. Its simple Geography " climate change as a result of global warming" that simple. Look out for more as the years goes by as long as we continue to ruin the amazon and the earth at large.

People like you are clueless about what governance is all about, the government knew the volume of rain was expected to be humongous, this didn't come to this government as a surprise, Yet, they did next to nothing except for the occasional bland TV and radio advert. Do you know how much work Lagos State for example has done to mitigate flooding within its boundaries? The Federal Government has done next to nothing!

GEJ was busy teling the world yesterday that his government is ready and able to defend neighbouring countries from terrorists whilst a huge part of his own country is under water. Let's not talk about Boko Haram at the moment.

By now, a State of Emergency should have been declared in affected areas with all relevant government agencies fully mobilised to offer relief to the stricken people. GEJ should have requested global aid for the victims by now.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Freiburger(m): 11:33am On Sep 26, 2012
I've never seen a country where nothing works, compared to what we have as a country. undecided
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by ab1x: 11:44am On Sep 26, 2012
Kslib: Oh God pls save us oh...
Pastor chris or Tb joshua and the likes should go there and command that water to dry up,divide or tell people to walk on it.. Jesus walked on water,moses divided the red sea and the bible says " and greater things shall you do"... This people are suffering for christ's sake..

May God have mercy on your life. Please be wary of what you say about men of God in order not to incur the wrath of God.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nasri100(m): 11:47am On Sep 26, 2012
shocked shocked shocking!
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by ab1x: 11:48am On Sep 26, 2012
HNosegbe: If such a disaster had happened in a civilized country, the president/prime minister would have cut short his New York trip, come to visit the site, direct remedial action and take steps to mitigate its impact. But no, not Nigeria.

We will gradually get there. Remember, Rome was not built in a day. You and I can contribute our own quota to the development of this country. Peace !
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by mallorca(m): 11:51am On Sep 26, 2012
obadiah777: christ is coming. its obvious.
just my thought
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by taharqa: 11:58am On Sep 26, 2012
Witi: Apart from the torrental rainfall and the water released from cameroon. Assuming the river niger dredging project was not handled with levity probably the incidence wouldnt have been devastating.
If you do not know wot to say, just Shut d hell up..ignorant peeps making assertions in public confidently, disgust me
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Kslib(m): 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2012
ab1x:

May God have mercy on your life. Please be wary of what you say about men of God in order not to incur the wrath of God.
Amen!!!May God have mercy on your life too. Go and read my post again and tell me what will incur the wrath of God there. I know your type..the hypocrites.. God knows what's in our hearts,so just leave me alone.. Pls
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by francis247(m): 12:02pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is why I need 2 buy me my flying car. Just $200,000.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Emmy9ite(m): 12:02pm On Sep 26, 2012
Cuddlemii: Why doesn't the world come to an end once and for all?

What's the point of poor civilians suffering all the time?

Aren't we ready to depart from this sorrowful earth?

Would I blame all these on Jonathan's regime?

Could Jonathan be bad luck and curse to Nigeria?

Who is to blame?
www.google.com your questions will be answered there!
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by taharqa: 12:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
maclatunji:

People like you are clueless about what governance is all about, the government knew the volume of rain was expected to be humongous, this didn't come to this government as a surprise, Yet, they did next to nothing except for the occasional bland TV and radio advert. Do you know how much work Lagos State for example has done to mitigate flooding within its boundaries? The Federal Government has done next to nothing!

GEJ was busy teling the world yesterday that his government is ready and able to defend neighbouring countries from terrorists whilst a huge part of his own country is under water. Let's not talk about Boko Haram at the moment.

By now, a State of Emergency should have been declared in affected areas with all relevant government agencies fully mobilised to offer relief to the stricken people. GEJ should have requested global aid for the victims by now.
Smtimes you hv d tedency to speak from yr anus, apologies. You mean d govt shld hv built drains along d entire course of d rivers Benue and Niger? Really? What drainage system any where in d world(assuming you are still extremely naive enuf to bliv dat we can build such in 9ja) can withstand a flood whose levels are said to bw 10-15m?let even a quarter of dis get to Lagos(God 4bid) and lets see how wot u said d Lagos govt hv done can possible withstand anything...Stop playing politics wit d sufferings of odas; there shld actuali be a line. The various reliefs efforts 4rm d FG, state govts and NGOs shld however be coordinated at dis point- i agree wit u on dat

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Money Disappeared From My Pocket / Pictures Of The Cobra My Friend Killed Today / Sexkillz, The Omo Mo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.