Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road (26089 Views)

Tiger-nut Seller In Suit At Abuja Market (Photo) / Python Swallows Livestock As A Result Of The Flooding / Abuja-lokoja Road Blocked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by eaglechild: 2:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
maclatunji:

People like you are clueless about what governance is all about, the government knew the volume of rain was expected to be humongous, this didn't come to this government as a surprise, Yet, they did next to nothing except for the occasional bland TV and radio advert. Do you know how much work Lagos State for example has done to mitigate flooding within its boundaries? The Federal Government has done next to nothing!

GEJ was busy teling the world yesterday that his government is ready and able to defend neighbouring countries from terrorists whilst a huge part of his own country is under water. Let's not talk about Boko Haram at the moment.

By now, a State of Emergency should have been declared in affected areas with all relevant government agencies fully mobilised to offer relief to the stricken people. GEJ should have requested global aid for the victims by now.
I have to agree with u on this one.
The National.Meteorological Institute had put up a warning very many months ago abt the floods which was ignored.
It's true the floods may not be preventable but the govt would have been ready for the anticipatd effects.
That's the difference btw naija and the rest.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by maclatunji: 3:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
BlueMurder: @taharqa

Surely, you can counter arguments without the use of vulgar language.

Actually, he can't because he has no valid points and like his predecessor, he has to resort to insults to camouflage his emptiness. If you know what's coming as a government and fail to effectively mobilise the people to be affected, you had better keep shut. The metereologists played their part by providing information, our government failed the people big time by not making it crystal clear that the people in the affected regions had to go and providing them with options for temporary shelter.

Even with awful disasters like this, the government has a huge role to play in easing the pains of the people.

Sycophancy (taharqa) will not allow you to tell the truth. Too bad.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by maclatunji: 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
eaglechild:
I have to agree with u on this one.
The National.Meteorological Institute had put up a warning very many months ago abt the floods which was ignored.
It's true the floods may not be preventable but the govt would have been ready for the anticipatd effects.
That's the difference btw naija and the rest.

You have to agree now. Na beans?
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Obinoscopy(m): 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
Yinkay: Obinoscopy(m):
Saw displaced families with their properties along the Asaba-Headbridge expressway. This flooding is a national disaster. The affected communities are now refugees in their own territory.

This flooding of the Abuja-Lokoja road would make any journey to and fro Abuja a tortuous one.

@Obinoscopy...saw them too this morning, the Immigration Officers has been dislodged by the waters likewise the Tourist Garden Hotel behind God is Good Motors is flooded, any hotel lodgers now will ride a canoe to the receptionist desk from the road grin

I doubt anybody will be willing to visit that hotel anytime soon. This is bad market for them. I just wonder why the architect and the engineer did not raise the foundation by some metres as is being done for any house close to the river or sea (just like God is Good Motors).
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by brownlord: 3:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
This good news for all of us that has been praying for this country to decide, if the water can take of the bridge, it will be very good for me
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Nwogbe: 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
maclatunji:

People like you are clueless about what governance is all about, the government knew the volume of rain was expected to be humongous, this didn't come to this government as a surprise, Yet, they did next to nothing except for the occasional bland TV and radio advert. Do you know how much work Lagos State for example has done to mitigate flooding within its boundaries? The Federal Government has done next to nothing!

GEJ was busy teling the world yesterday that his government is ready and able to defend neighbouring countries from terrorists whilst a huge part of his own country is under water. Let's not talk about Boko Haram at the moment.

By now, a State of Emergency should have been declared in affected areas with all relevant government agencies fully mobilised to offer relief to the stricken people. GEJ should have requested global aid for the victims by now.
You r d most clueless he goat ever 2 have lived for spitting such dumb words. Go grow up and come lets reason like matured people.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by InvertedHammer: 5:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
HURRAYYYYYYY!!!! So Nigerians will start enjoying guaranteed 24hrs power supply. They blamed power outage on
low water level some months ago...Now that the water is overflowing...let's see what the next spin/excuse will
be.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by JoelFelix(m): 6:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
Oh God help us. Goodluck has turn in to badluck.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Ivynwa(f): 11:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
I didn't realize the gravity of this Lokoja flood and didn't bother clicking it when it made front page until I saw the pics in a blog today and was speechless. The flooding is almost the same sight as the way homes and buildings were swallowed up by water in the hurricane Katrina---that kind of flooding can take plenty lives as nobody will be expecting that magnitude of surge. I was seeing people on the roofs of their houses. I hope people got saved. This is huge!
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by uzoexcel(m): 8:08am On Sep 27, 2012
obadiah777: christ is coming. its obvious.
Very daft and stupid government....instead of blaming the ineptitude of ur maintenance agencies,u try and bring religion into this..........
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by Abigailfasan(f): 10:42am On Sep 27, 2012
i cant even go back to sch cos of this flood. i pray it dries up quickly angry[quote author=God2man][/quote]
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by DeGenius3(m): 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2012
this is very very unfortunate.

i really sympathize with all those it has affected.
Re: Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road by simdam500(m): 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2012
Hmmm!!! *speechless* may Almight God help us all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Nairaland 2.0" Is Live! Any Questions Or Feedback? / 3 African Men Display Great Acrobatic Skills From Air / Pictures Of The Cobra My Friend Killed Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.