Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,249 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Catfish Smoking and preservating tips - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Catfish Smoking and preservating tips (16756 Views)

Hilarious No Smoking Sign At An Nnpc Mega Station (pictured) / Fabricated Catfish Smoking Machine / Practical Catfish Smoking Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by miqos02(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2012
pls i need tips on how to smoke catfish. i want to start a catfish farm but i want to bypass the middle women by selling directly to consumers. is it possible to fabricate a smoking machine that can preserve the fish for months?
Re: Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by gmcln(m): 2:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
I copy this write up from one of Nigeria newspaper sometime ago.
Hope it helps.
One of the easiest and cheapest cottage agric businesses you can start without stress is a catfish smoking industry. There are several catfish farmers in Nigeria today, so getting catfish to smoke is not a problem. All you need to start this business is skill and determination. You don’t have to be a catfish farmer, you might not even have an idea of how the fish grow but you can make big money smoking fish for fish farmers. This is a business for both fish farmer and non fish farmer. Smoking fish can be easy if you follow some basic steps. The four basic steps in smoking fish are cleaning, curing, drying and smoking. Smoking is an excellent way to preserve fish that you don’t plan to sell right away. Fish is smoked as it dries over a smoldering fire. Wood smoke adds flavor and color; the brining process helps to preserve the fish. Smoking adds flavor and color and removes some water from your fish.
Tips on smoking catfish
The first step in your fish smoking business is to obtain some fresh fish. If it doesn’t look FRESH or smell FRESH or feel FRESH, it probably isn’t, and it will make your finished product taste bad. Use fresh fish. Smoking will not hide old fish. The quality will be reflected.
Brine & Cure
What is a brine? Basically, a brine is salt and water. Soaking the fish in brine will achieve a few things:
•It will firm up the flesh to be less mushy.
•It will draw out any old blood, which will improve the taste.
•It will add some saltiness to the fish. In the right amounts, this is desired.
•It will add some additional flavoring to the fish.
•The cure will ensure that we are protected from the deadly Botulism bacteria, especially since this is a relatively low temperature cooking environment. *cure is optional, but recommended.
Another method is rub the salt on the fish, let the fish sit for a while, then wash it off.
Smoking Fish. Time Required: 4 to 6 hours
Here’s How:
1. Clean fish, removing the gills and intestine.
2. Wash in clean water.
3. Prepare a salt-water brine of 2 1/2 tablespoons plain salt to 1 cup of water.
4. Place fish in brine for 15 minutes.
5. Prepare smoker. Too much smoke will cause the fish to taste bitter. Use just enough wood to maintain a steady smoke
6. Remove fish from brine and rinse with cold water.
7. Place fish, skin side down on oiled smoker rack.
8. Keep the fire low, for the first 2 hours.
9. Increase heat after the first 2 hours.. The length of time will depend on the thickness of the fish, and on your preference for dry or moist smoked fish.
10. Continue smoking until fish is flaky and cooked through.
11. Serve immediately or refrigerate. If you don’t plan on eating the fish in a couple of days, wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer.
There are many advantages for smoking fish. It prolongs the “shelf life” of the fish once it has been smoked. Many people believe it enhances the flavor when used in sauces and soup. If you harvest a number of fish at a time, you can decide to smoke some to increase your income. A kilo of smoked fish is between N650 – N900.
A Smoked catfish can be stored in the freezer for sixty days.
Last but not least, smoked fish is a great way to get omega-3 fatty acids. There are numerous studies showing positive effects of these acids on the prevention of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Stay Blessed!

4 Likes

Re: Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by miqos02(m): 2:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
yeah i saw it too i think tribune, but i want to know if there are other ways to smoke apart from using drums
Re: Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by miqos02(m): 11:10am On Sep 27, 2012
is it possible to get a fabricated catfish smoking machine
Re: Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by fandt: 2:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
fabricated catfish smoking machine can be gotten.Contact hr.fandtfarmsdelight@gmail.com to place an order.
Re: Catfish Smoking and preservating tips by stoladcom: 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2016
There are different sizes of fish drying machines constructed locally in Nigeria. kindly get in touch with me with your specifications as regards the length, width, height and if gas, electric and charcoal-powered or a combination through 08056945865, whatsapp: 08166215565 or email address stoladcom@yahoo.com.

Regards
Shola

(1) (Reply)

It Takes About 6 Hrs To Sell 20 Sachets Of Water Wch Amounts To A Total Of N200 / 2.3 Billion Pieces Of Coins Worth N1.60b In Circulation—cbn / MTN To Buy Visafone Communications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.