Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth (16166 Views)

Vaginal Tear Or Cut During Childbirth / Lady Dies After Posting "If I Die During Lockdown No Need For Autopsy" / Coronavirus: These Beard Style May Make One More Likely To Catch Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by DamnnNiggarr: 2:42am On Nov 25, 2020
Tinuke Awe says she had to be rushed to hospital because she was dismissed and a life-threatening condition was diagnosed late.

Black women are at the highest risk of death during childbirth but the NHS has "no target to end it", according to a government report.

The death rate for black women is five times higher than for white women, the Joint Committee on Human Rights document said.

"The NHS acknowledge and regret this disparity," it said, concluding the government must introduce "a target to end the disparity in maternal mortality".

Two women have talked to Sky News about their experience of bias during labour and birth.

Tinuke Awe said she wasn't listened to, her pain was "dismissed" and her pre-eclampsia - a life threatening condition - was diagnosed very late which led to her being rushed to hospital.

"I just wasn't taken seriously," she said. "I think it's ridiculous really. I feel like, yes, I'm black but I'm still a woman, I still bleed the same blood.

"Any assumptions made off the back of the colour of my skin, I just think it's not on."

Ms Awe describes being in a lot of pain and asking midwives in hospital to assess her.

"She didn't check me over, she was very dismissive… I didn't understand why she wasn't listening," she said.

"I'll never forget the look of shock on her face when she did check - I had progressed really quickly. I was 8cm and almost ready to push.

"Then it was a swarm of doctors and midwives - 'get her into the delivery suite, we need to get his baby out now' - it was worrying and stressful."

Ms Awe's son is now nearly three years old, and she has a six-month-old baby girl, but she has never forgotten her first experience.

As a result, she and a friend set up Fivexmore, a campaign to try to overturn the mortality statistic for black women in childbirth in the UK.

Clo Abe, who helps run the campaign, stresses it is still relatively safe for all women to give birth in the UK.

She explained that the reasons behind the figures are very complex and deep-rooted.

Ms Abe said "unconscious bias" plays a part in perpetuating "myths" that some believe "black women can take more pain, black women's skin is tougher".

Deborah Lola said her first pregnancy was traumatising.

Her baby daughter, Grace, nearly died during childbirth and Ms Lola said she felt she was not taken seriously by health professionals.

"It was a terrible time. It was really frightening," she said.

"Every time I stood up I was bleeding. It was only then that they went to call the registrar and said 'we need to give birth to this baby now or this baby is going to die'."

"It was devastating. It was horrible," she said. "Knowing something is wrong, saying something is wrong, and then nothing is done - that was the worst part of it."

Ms Lola said she was also neglected during her antenatal treatment in 2017.

Her daughter weighed significantly less than she should have quite early on in her pregnancy but she was given little attention.

She felt dismissed by health care professionals whilst in labour when she raised concerns about pain.

For the birth of her second child, Gabriel, Ms Lola chose to be around black health practitioners.

"As hard as it is to say, I needed to be around that to give me the confidence to know that I was going to be okay. Birth can be life or death," she said.

She strongly believes her experience was related to her race and is calling for the government to offer more training to healthcare professionals on how they should treat mothers from different demographics.

Continuity of midwife care throughout pregnancy for black, Asian and minority ethnic groups was a target set out in January last year by the NHS.

Christine Ekechi, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at Imperial College London, explained that to tackle the inequality issue we must go back to the very start.

"Black women are twice and three times as likely to deliver a baby that is stillborn," she said.

"They are more likely to deliver babies that are underweight, and we know once that inequity is embedded at birth that then will lead to a young female child more likely to have poorer health conditions, gynae conditions, that may make her at greater risk when pregnant."

Dr Habib Naqvi MBE, director of the newly-launched NHS Race and Health Observatory, said racial inequality is global and systemwide and has been further exacerbated by the pandemic.

"We're all too familiar with different rates of cancer and cardiovascular disease and diabetes [for BAME people]," he said.

"COVID-19 has had and continues to have a disproportionate impact on BAME patients and healthcare staff."

https://news.sky.com/story/black-women-fives-times-more-likely-to-die-in-childbirth-but-nhs-has-no-target-to-end-it-12141057?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

1 Like

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by CANDYDADDY(m): 3:28am On Nov 25, 2020
grin grin grin
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Niyeal(m): 3:33am On Nov 25, 2020
Sorry black women

5 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Freestainworld(m): 4:04am On Nov 25, 2020
No wonder our ladies are into bleaching, sense no go kill them, they want to trick the situation.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by uuzba(m): 4:47am On Nov 25, 2020
So our mothers that didn't die, what should happen now?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by hadisvisual(f): 4:47am On Nov 25, 2020
If only all the energy used campaigning in other people's country can be channel into fixing our health care, we wouldn't remember all the bad behavior black women are shown anywhere in the world.

We are better than what we are now.

42 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Pearly255(f): 4:47am On Nov 25, 2020
Oluwa is involved...
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Enudapan: 4:48am On Nov 25, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

It's not easy to be black
Cos
Black is not just a color
Is a survive
Is an attitude
Is a lifestyle
So anyone made of black is surely made of more

Blacks still remains the odogwu race (all over the world)

6 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by complexBoss12: 4:48am On Nov 25, 2020
judgment by color will never stop. Nigerians will come here to criticize racism but your are Igbo, your neighbor is Hausa and you already judged him before getting to know him. same for the Hausa on the Igbo man. it's goes around, we have to accept it.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 25, 2020
Omo. Nothing wey pesin never see....

Too bad. Just too bad....

Why always Africa...

Too bad. Just too bad.

Watching....
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Mobilecrewnet(m): 4:50am On Nov 25, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Glorylynn: 4:51am On Nov 25, 2020
We are grateful to God that you are alive and can share your experience!

8 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by BennyDon: 4:56am On Nov 25, 2020
No research is a hundred per cent accurate. God made all, whether white or black. White women get better health care during pregnancy than black women, no thanks to poor leadership.

It's my prayer that all pregnant women globally have safe deliveries.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Nobody: 4:59am On Nov 25, 2020
Naso. But Nigeria has one of the highest birth rates

5 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by HIbreed(m): 5:04am On Nov 25, 2020
Kekereekun123:
Naso. But Nigeria has one of the highest birth rates
i assume you mean death rates in childbirths abi. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:05am On Nov 25, 2020
We like complaining a lot.

1 Like

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by umarud: 5:06am On Nov 25, 2020

1 Like

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Healthsco20: 5:11am On Nov 25, 2020
So unfortunate
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Amarisco(f): 5:12am On Nov 25, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:
We like complaining a lot.

Can you imagine this nonsense angry

Pesin say make u chop shit you go de pim? Rahbish

5 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by hellomosquito(f): 5:15am On Nov 25, 2020
Really...................
And the black nation Nigeria is one of largest most populous country in the world.
Who created all these rubbish to make the black nation a second class citizen.
So God created the kidney of a black woman separately hun. why must everything black carry bad thing from una science etc.

wait o: does it mean the whites dont die during birth, because youtube video plenty about them dying o
And how did they get accurate data here in Nigeria cuz we no get data, even when we know data is life.....
i smell usual manipulation to make us look bad and useless......our eye don dey open ooo, carry una rubbish comot

Please should we tell them about black thunder that is doing press up waiting for whom to devour

3 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Sixfeetbelle: 5:16am On Nov 25, 2020
uuzba:
So our mothers that didn't die, what should happen now?

Did you take into account those that died?

7 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by princemartinsG(m): 5:19am On Nov 25, 2020
FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO ASK WHO ASIWAJU BOLA TINUBU IS

Many continue to ask who Asiwaju is to merit all the accolades that even their fathers and forebears cannot command

It's obvious they don't seem to understand the import of being the creator and brain behind existence of something as big as a political party

In the entirety of Nigeria there is yet no single person with the sagacity, intellect and practical human capital building prowess that match that of Asiwaju

Asiwaju is the man who you run to to pull you out of serial failure. Asiwaju is the man you run to assist you to succeed where you had repeatedly become a failure. Asiwaju is a builder of men. Asiwaju is the technocrat of modern Nigeria as epitomised in the staunch legacy he left in lagos state. Asiwaju is that man whose single handedly orchestrated the sacking of an incumbent reign. Asiwaju is the pioneer of the new lagos every dick and Harry love to call their own and associate with by force

For the benefit of those who are the questioning who Asiwaju is and why he is being treated specially

For this reason I am wary for those jumping into APC now after their long unsuccessful marriage with PDP over the years. Now they are in need for a platform for their political survival and where they could seek recourse is in Asiwajus APC

Thus Asiwaju is the giver of hope unto them whose political hope is completely lost. Asiwaju is a political saviour being the reason why his success attracts hate and enmity from a lot of persons who envies his position and secretly wish they are him

This is who Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by HRMK: 5:19am On Nov 25, 2020
mischief or blackmail?bcs of the black colour or poor medical facilities or poor manpower?
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Nobody: 5:22am On Nov 25, 2020
Mnh
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by jimmynauty: 5:23am On Nov 25, 2020
i condemn this tongue by my gift of righteousness over my daugthers.

they shall live to declare the works of the LORD.

2 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by godwinkessi: 5:33am On Nov 25, 2020
Our black women that can bear up to 12 and still counting? I no believe unless cos of our bad healthcare

2 Likes

Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by GeneralPula: 5:35am On Nov 25, 2020
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by Imo042: 5:40am On Nov 25, 2020
Black people should wake up and save themselves.

Southern Nigerians need total independence.
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by GeneralPula: 5:43am On Nov 25, 2020
In the Olden days, black women gives birth easily, even without hospital or any scientific medication..

If now, black women are finding it hard, then something isn’t right about the black women of today..

Most of what we have left among the black women of today are nothing but Riff-raffs.

Asaro ni won..
Re: Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth by GeneralPula: 5:47am On Nov 25, 2020
Freestainworld:
No wonder our ladies are into bleaching, sense no go kill them, they want to trick the situation.

Sadly, they don’t know there’s a difference between a bleached skin lady & a light skin lady..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For January 4 2021 In Nigeria / My 23 Year Old Sister Just Tested Hiv Positive And Has Won American Visa. / LIVING With SCD(Sickle Cell Disease).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.