Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study (8050 Views)

Teacher Makes Girl Sit On Hot Water Container In Lagos, Girl Dies (Graphic Pic) / The Real Reason Men Live Shorter Lives Than Women / Watching TV Shortens Life Span (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by scopusng(m): 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2012
Too much time sitting and watching TV is taking years off your life expectancy, a study says. Researchers arrived at the conclusion from the results of five studies that explored the effects on nearly 167,000 people of sitting and watching television.

Peter Katzmarzyk, the study’s lead author and a professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., said “…the study doesn’t establish a direct cause-and-effect relationship between sitting, TV watching and death. But the evidence suggesting an association between shortened lives and sedentary activities, like TV watching and driving, is piling up”

There also seems to be something about sitting itself that is bad for one’s health. Studies in both animals and humans have found that sitting leads to changes in resting glucose levels and blood pressure, and that lots of sitting bumps up levels of certain biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and cancer.

“The take-home message is clear: we may not know exactly why sitting is bad for you, but if you reduce the amount of time spent sitting, there are real health benefits,” the researchers said.
Katzmarzyk said since many people spend at least eight hours each day sitting at a computer, the workplace is an ideal place to start looking for ways to reform behavior. People can get up to talk to colleagues instead of emailing them, or spend a few minutes of their lunch breaks taking a short walk. And of course, a good place to start making changes is by squeezing the recommended 30 minutes of exercise into every day.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/10/the-more-you-sit-the-shorter-your-life-span-study/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Abeg, make dem let me hear word jare.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Exponental(m): 3:01pm On Jul 10, 2012
Sorry, I'm ready 2 read d write up but by d topic.......NA LIE!!!!
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by habayommy: 3:03pm On Jul 10, 2012
Story story story........The more you look the less you see grin the more you talk the less ...

1 Like

Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by inspirenet: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2012
Exponental: Sorry, I'm ready 2 read d write up but by d topic.......NA LIE!!!!

smiley
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Alfoasegh: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2012
Wetin person no go hear?...smh
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by greatgod2012(f): 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2012
if dis is for real, then, wahala dey o
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Chaydee(m): 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
No Wonder Mad Men and Women Live Longer than them (politicians, Mogul n co) grin grin grin
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Afam4eva(m): 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
All this research insitutes na to they formulate lie na him dem dey do now. This research defies logic.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by semid4lyfe(m): 3:10pm On Jul 10, 2012
scopusng: Too much time sitting and watching TV is taking years off your life expectancy, a study says. Researchers arrived at the conclusion from the results of five studies that explored the effects on nearly 167,000 people of sitting and watching television.

What of too much time sitting and working on the PC?. . .yeye! tongue
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
I don't believe this
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by braine(m): 3:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
Really? These scientists and their wahala. What about sleeping or laying down?
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by redsun(m): 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2012
That means the queen of england would long died,be all she does is sit,ride,wave,eat and sleep.

On a serious note though,common sense should tell one that too much of being a couch potato is not good for the flow. It is similar to a long parked car that stall for not being in use.

The body basically is like a car,if u under use it,it stalls and if u overuse it,it shatters.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2012
I for don die since .......
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Jul 10, 2012
I actually think the opposite is the reality. Isn't sitting down a kind of rest?
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
There is always a study, a study about this, a study about that, non-meaningful studies. The newest study in town is the more you seat the shorter your life span....... What's next, we've heard the one about pluto not being a planet, after it was designated a planet, there is also the one about how eating chocolate is healthy to the body, there is also a study about couples start to look alike after 25yrs of marriage (weird), there is also a study about how women are sexier in red, another study about how big hands translate to big feet. It just like the jtf telling us in nigeria how top militant boko-haram commanders are either arrested or killed in raids, as if there is a top militant commander factroy always churning out top militant commanders( I respect the jtf though). I'm sure there would be another study in the no distant future countering or reversing this very study. Anyway goodluck to all scientists and their funny studies.

1 Like

Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by honeric01(m): 3:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
braine: Really? These scientists and their wahala. What about sleeping or laying down?

This is likely going to lead to dying while sleeping or while laying down.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
This research is a waste of funds.A research this erroneous,with no concrete physiological or anatomical findings, but assumptions, deserve scorn from the scientific and commonsensical world.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Sijo01(f): 3:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
greatgod2012: if dis is for real, then, wahala dey o

big wahala 4dat mata.
i dnt bliv on dis sh1t sha.
i can sit frm resumption of duty till d close of wrk, i onli stand up wen i want to visit d ladies, chck mysef up in d mirror, to get some wrk done wit d desktop if d format is nt on lapi.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by feelamong(m): 3:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
Useless study by Useless oyinbo people....Why dem no go study why GEJ and his co travellers no wan stop to steal for naija or why Mama Sikira Amala and Ewedu no dey belleful me again

undecided
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 10, 2012
Since saetn for so long culd make u bord, then is emphaticaly sure dt the research is real.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by sonyjacobs(m): 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2012
what about those cripple who sit on wheel chair through out the whole day?

1 Like

Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by ufumes(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10, 2012
The study did not consider other activity one can do while sitting, like reading. The title should have read, watching tv.......
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by zuchyblink(m): 4:14pm On Jul 10, 2012
redsun: That means the queen of england would long died,be all she does is sit,ride,wave,eat and sleep.

On a serious note though,common sense should tell one that too much of being a couch potato is not good for the flow. It is similar to a long parked car that stall for not being in use.

The body basically is like a car,if u under use it,it stalls and if u overuse it,it shatters.
exactly
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by AmeLonRo(m): 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
No matter the activity you do try to get up and move around at least every 3600 seconds. One way to achieve this is by drinking plenty of water so that you can stand up to wee often. The seat used in seating should also be looked into, some seats are not suitable and tend to affect one's posture later in life.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Burger01(m): 4:38pm On Jul 10, 2012
habayommy: Story story story........The more you look the less you see grin the more you talk the less ...

The more you talk the less you hear...
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Isaleeko2: 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2012
I am surprised at people's responses to this.

This is pure common sense. The more you sit, the shorter your life span and that is a fact. Someone who sits at his chair for 8 hours a day, stands up from his chair enter his car, go home, eat watch TV, sleep, then watch TV all through the weekend and sleep at night is not going to last as long as someone who takes time to do some light exercise once in a while.

Your muscles get weaker from lack of active use, there is build up of cholesterol, and fat due to accumulation of sugars from lack of calorie burning. Well, add two bottles of coke and a three bottles of stout everyday and the life span even gets shorter.

2 Likes

Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by adsega(m): 4:41pm On Jul 10, 2012
Mr. peter shmitzary, or wharefa ur name is. Una go conduct study, still do naming ceremony for d study. When HiV was discovered to be a benign disease, una introduce ones with quicker death sentences, like, Hepatitis, Ecoli, bird flu, n d likes.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by poj(m): 4:58pm On Jul 10, 2012
One cannot rubbish the findings of d research as long as it was actually and carefully carried out. It is basically a correlational study; as such sitting down do not necessarily cause a shorter life span.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by chucky234(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2012
Billyonaire: I for don die since .......
Dey buy your coffin keep cos your die don dey reach ooo, rememer put me for your will to inherite all the billions.
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by habayommy: 6:03pm On Jul 10, 2012
Burger01:

The more you talk the less you hear...

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
i say buncha crap!
Re: The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study by ELVIKING(m): 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2012
Doctors n scientist r our worst nightmares, no follow dem ooo or u go die young

(1) (2) (Reply)

Great-looking Private Pediatrics Hospital In South East Nigeria (Photos) / Contraceptive Injection For Men Available In 5 Years / Send Pupils With Respiratory Symptoms Home – FG Tells Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.