Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,807 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201825 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 9:37am On Oct 07, 2012
@naptu2
Thanks dude for the ofege thing.

Any update on them, what they are doing now etc?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:52am On Oct 07, 2012
esere826: @naptu2
Thanks dude for the ofege thing.

Any update on them, what they are doing now etc?

My pleasure. I'll try and get updates for you.

I have a memory of sitting in the Greg's dinning hall while a music group rehearsed (I was a tiny tot then). I've asked my elders about that memory. Some say it was Ofege, while others say that it could not have been Ofege because they were way before my time.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:20am On Oct 07, 2012
D'Banj & Kelly Rowland performing @ the MTV Africa Music Awards in Abuja

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:22am On Oct 07, 2012
P-Square

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:24am On Oct 07, 2012
Dare Art Alade

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:26am On Oct 07, 2012
Banky W

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 11:19am On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2:

My pleasure. I'll try and get updates for you.

I have a memory of sitting in the Greg's dinning hall while a music group rehearsed (I was a tiny tot then). I've asked my elders about that memory. Some say it was Ofege, while others say that it could not have been Ofege because they were way before my time.

Wow!!!!! This guy, who is u? grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
9ice

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2012
Asa

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
Tiwa Savage

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:20pm On Oct 07, 2012
Mo Cheddah

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Fela & his wives

South African jazz musician Hugh Masekela had not seen his good friend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti for many years, so when he came to perform in Nigeria, he took the opportunity to visit his friend & the following conversation ensued.

Hugh: I heard you got married to 27 women, where are they? I want to see them.

Fela: (Hisses) I divorced them.

Hugh: You divorced them? Why?

Fela: My girlfriends were jealous
Goodness me, he was such a sexually OVERACTIVE man! shocked
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: The Lijadu Sisters (Taiwo & Kehinde Lijadu)

Never hoid of 'them
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2:

He looked like an ancestral spirit here...
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Onyeka Onwenu

Wow...such natural beauty...shocked

I want to be beautiful like her when i grow up grin shocked
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Majek Fashek

Rather difficult reconciling this angelic looking dude with the decrepit Majek we have today.

What a waste sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 12:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Mandators

Last i heard of Victor Essiet, he is a taxi driver in the US. Or is it Mike Okri?? I can't remember who but i do know one of them is a cab driver in the States.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2:

Think well,it was probably the school choir grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ishilove:
Never hoid of 'them

There were the Lijadu Sisters, then we had the Sunshine Sisters.

From Wikipedia

Taiwo and Kehinde Lijadu, are identical twin sisters from Nigeria[4] who were an important music duet from the mid-1960s to the 1980s. They achieved success in Nigeria[5] and had modest influence in the United States and Europe. They were notable for being a West African version of the Pointer Sisters who mixed Afrobeat sounds with jazz and disco, according to one source.[1] Since the late 1980s, they retired from the music scene.

The twins grew up in the Nigerian town of Ibadan, and were inspired musically by various artists including Aretha Franklin, Victor Olaiya and Miriam Makeba. They had guidance from music producer Lemmy Jackson who is credited with helping them with their early successes.[5] Their music was a mix of Jazz, Afrobeat, Reggae and Waka. Sometimes they sung in English and other times in African languages.[1] One of their first songs was arranged with assistance from jazz saxophone player Orlando Julius.[6] They released their first album Iya Mi Jowo in 1969 after winning a record contract with Decca Records. They worked with the late Biddy Wright on their third album Danger (1976). They recorded Sunshine in 1978 and Horizon Unlimited in 1979.

The sisters were top stars in Nigeria during the 1970s and 1980s.[5] During these years, they branched out to America and Europe and found modest success. They performed with drummer Ginger Baker's band Salt at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games in Munich at the World Music Festival. The New York Times reported that the sisters were "smiling free spirits" who mixed "sisterly banter and flirtatiousness" in their performances which featured positive messages such as the benefit of returning home.[1] Their reggae number Reincarnation insisted that if reincarnation was a reality, then they would like to be reincarnated again into the home where they grew up.[1] Some of their song lyrics were politically-themed.[7] Their harmonies were described as "ethereal".[7]

In 1984 Shanachie Records released Double Trouble in the U.S. which was a compilation of their previously recorded material from their albums Horizon Unlimited and Danger. Their song Orere Eljigbo was included on a double CD entitled Nigeria 70, Africa 100, and was added to the Roots & Wings playlist in 1997.[3]

The sisters moved to Brooklyn. They performed in various venues including the lower Manhattan club Wetlands and in Harlem with King Sunny Adé's African Beats as their backing band. They performed with the Philadelphia-based band Philly Gumbo.[1] They were featured in the music documentary Konkombé by English director Jeremy Marre, and their music was featured in the Nigerian installment of the 14-episode world music series entitled Beats of the Heart which aired on PBS during the late 1980s.

Soon after settling in America they retired from the public eye, making details of their career in entertainment difficult to confirm, since the twins no longer gave interviews.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
esere826:

Wow!!!!! This guy, who is u? grin
He is a guy

Just like you grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ishilove:
Rather difficult reconciling this angelic looking dude with the decrepit Majek we have today.

What a waste sad

It's so sad.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ishilove:
Think well,it was probably the school choir grin

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaha!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2:

There were the Lijadu Sisters, then we had the Sunshine Sisters.

From Wikipedia

Taiwo and Kehinde Lijadu, are identical twin sisters from Nigeria[4] who were an important music duet from the mid-1960s to the 1980s. They achieved success in Nigeria[5] and had modest influence in the United States and Europe. They were notable for being a West African version of the Pointer Sisters who mixed Afrobeat sounds with jazz and disco, according to one source.[1] Since the late 1980s, they retired from the music scene.

The twins grew up in the Nigerian town of Ibadan, and were inspired musically by various artists including Aretha Franklin, Victor Olaiya and Miriam Makeba. They had guidance from music producer Lemmy Jackson who is credited with helping them with their early successes.[5] Their music was a mix of Jazz, Afrobeat, Reggae and Waka. Sometimes they sung in English and other times in African languages.[1] One of their first songs was arranged with assistance from jazz saxophone player Orlando Julius.[6] They released their first album Iya Mi Jowo in 1969 after winning a record contract with Decca Records. They worked with the late Biddy Wright on their third album Danger (1976). They recorded Sunshine in 1978 and Horizon Unlimited in 1979.

The sisters were top stars in Nigeria during the 1970s and 1980s.[5] During these years, they branched out to America and Europe and found modest success. They performed with drummer Ginger Baker's band Salt at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games in Munich at the World Music Festival. The New York Times reported that the sisters were "smiling free spirits" who mixed "sisterly banter and flirtatiousness" in their performances which featured positive messages such as the benefit of returning home.[1] Their reggae number Reincarnation insisted that if reincarnation was a reality, then they would like to be reincarnated again into the home where they grew up.[1] Some of their song lyrics were politically-themed.[7] Their harmonies were described as "ethereal".[7]

In 1984 Shanachie Records released Double Trouble in the U.S. which was a compilation of their previously recorded material from their albums Horizon Unlimited and Danger. Their song Orere Eljigbo was included on a double CD entitled Nigeria 70, Africa 100, and was added to the Roots & Wings playlist in 1997.[3]

The sisters moved to Brooklyn. They performed in various venues including the lower Manhattan club Wetlands and in Harlem with King Sunny Adé's African Beats as their backing band. They performed with the Philadelphia-based band Philly Gumbo.[1] They were featured in the music documentary Konkombé by English director Jeremy Marre, and their music was featured in the Nigerian installment of the 14-episode world music series entitled Beats of the Heart which aired on PBS during the late 1980s.

Soon after settling in America they retired from the public eye, making details of their career in entertainment difficult to confirm, since the twins no longer gave interviews.
seems they were very popular. I wonder why i have never heard of them until now undecided
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by esere826: 2:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ishilove:
He is a guy

Just like you grin

How are you sure that I am a guy? wink
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Tiwa Savage
I wonder how she looks without makeup... lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
Double post
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
esere826:

How are you sure that I am a guy? wink
Your signature, that's how wink
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
Wiz Kid

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
Kenny Ogungbe

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
Don Jazzy

1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2: Kenny Ogungbe
*deep voice* You right there, right there! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2012
naptu2:

Ofege

The artist who designed this jacket should be thoroughly whipped. What da...??

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.