Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,729 members, 7,824,062 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201786 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2012
naptu2: Innocent Egbunike

This guy looks like Natty Bruce(??), that guy that sang 'ewa jo' and 'Baby girl' back in the late 90s
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:29pm On Oct 16, 2012
Ishilove:
This guy looks like Natty Bruce(??), that guy that sang 'ewa jo' and 'Baby girl' back in the late 90s

Gosh! You just tasked my brain! You know how bad it is when you've got a name in the corner of your mind, but you just can't seem to remember?

Ewa jo was sung by an artist from Benin Republic, but I couldn't completely remember his name. It's Nell Oliver. He had a hit in the late '80s, disappeared and reappeared in the late '90s.

Innocent Egbunike was one of Nigeria's best athletes in the early '80s. He won bronze in the relay (4x100 I think) @ Los Angeles 84. He now works as a coach.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:48pm On Oct 16, 2012
Hogan "Kid" Bassey (MBE)

Nigeria's first world boxing champion (became world champion in 1957).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2012
DDick Tiger (Richard Ihetu).

DDick Tiger & Gene Fullmer (remember Tafawa Balewa's conversation with J.F Kennedy? He mention the Nigerian, Ddick Tiger beating the American Gene Fullmer)

At the age of 33, he travelled to San Francisco to challenge the formidably powerful Gene Fullmer for the world middleweight title in (October) 1962. At the end of 15 rounds, Tiger had outmuscled the strongman, and outboxed him too, winning a wide, unanimous decision.

In the return match Fullmer was considered fortunate to be granted a draw. The pair fought for a third time in Liberty Stadium in Ibadan, Nigeria on August the 10th 1963. This was the first ever world title fight in Africa outside of apartheid South Africa. This time Tiger beat Fullmer to a standstill. He forced the American to retire to his corner at the end of the seventh round. After the fight, Tiger was hailed as a Nigerian sporting hero.

Dick Tiger celebrates after defeating Gene Fullmer

Dick Tiger in New York

He became the "in house boxer" @ Madison Square Garden in New York.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:54pm On Oct 16, 2012
Peter Konyegwachie (NIG) vs Meldrick Taylor (USA). Los Angeles 1984 Olympics boxing men's featherweight (54-57 kg) category final.

My dad was furious when the result was announced. Apparently, everybody (including Taylor) except the judges could see that Konyegwachie won.

Taylor got the gold, while Konyegwachie got Nigeria's first olympic silver medal in boxing.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 4:59pm On Oct 16, 2012
Jeremiah Okorodudu (tribute to Isaac Ikhouria, Davidson Andeh, etc)

Unfortunately, I couldn't get an older pic of him (with his greasy jheri curl).

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:01pm On Oct 16, 2012
Bash Ali

Bash Ali vs Joe Lasisi was probably the biggest boxing match in Nigeria in the late 80's/early 90's. It was won by Bash Ali, but Lasisi protested the decision because during the match he saw 2 Bash Ali & he believed that Ali should have been disqualified for using juju (Bendel Insurance). (Obviously he got hit one too many times).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2012
Joe Lasisi
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:04pm On Oct 16, 2012
Richard Igbineghu (Nig. in Blue) VS Roberto Balado (Cuba in Red). Final of the Super-Heavyweight (over 91 kilograms) Boxing event at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain. Balado won.

I remember that Igbineghu destroyed all his opponents on his way to the final, but Balado was like Mohammed Ali. You couldn't catch him standing still. He was able to avoid Igbineghu's huge fists & land some clean punches of his own.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:15pm On Oct 16, 2012
David Izonritei (a.k.a David Izon)

Heavyweight silver medalist at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:18pm On Oct 16, 2012
David Defiagbon

Defiagbon won gold in the welterweight division at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland. He later defected to Canada & won the heavyweight silver medal (limit 201 lbs) for them at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2012
Duncan Dokiwari

He won a Men's Super Heavyweight bronze medal at the 1996 Summer Olympics
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2012
Henry Akinwande vs Lennox Lewis

Akinwande (former WBO heavyweight champion) was disqualified for excessive holding.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:24pm On Oct 16, 2012
Herbie Hide (Herbert Okechukwu Maduagwu)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2012
Samuel "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Biggyd2: 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2012
@Naptu, this is really good! Thumbs up!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2012
Bronze 1984 Los Angeles 4x400 m relay

World Championships
Silver 1987 Rome 400 m

All-Africa Games
Gold 1987 Nairobi 400 m

Summer Universiade
Gold 1983 Edmonton 200 m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J021pNZnlw

Recent interview with Egbunike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuAEZsB8UtM
naptu2:

Innocent Egbunike was one of Nigeria's best athletes in the early '80s. He won bronze in the relay (4x100 I think) @ Los Angeles 84. He now works as a coach.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:13pm On Oct 16, 2012
Biggyd2: @Naptu, this is really good! Thumbs up!

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:14pm On Oct 16, 2012
GenBuhari: Bronze 1984 Los Angeles 4x400 m relay

World Championships
Silver 1987 Rome 400 m

All-Africa Games
Gold 1987 Nairobi 400 m

Summer Universiade
Gold 1983 Edmonton 200 m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J021pNZnlw

Recent interview with Egbunike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuAEZsB8UtM

Thanks bro
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2012
Daniel Igali

Daniel Igali was captain of the Nigerian wrestling team at the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. He sought political asylum in Canada after the games.

At the 2000 Summer Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia, Igali won a gold medal for Canada in the Men's 69 kg freestyle wrestling. At the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Igali won a gold medal in the Men's 74 kg freestyle wrestling.

He is currently the coach of Nigeria's national wrestling team.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2012
Power Mike (Michael Okpalla)

Legendary Nigerian professional wrestler.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2012
Killwe Nwachukwu (wrestler & strongman). Did he defeat Power Mike?

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2012
Power Uti (Continental Wrestling Alliance Champion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpg-ZIA2hoY

I remember the great wrestling events at the National Stadium.

Power Uti vs DDick "The Bulldog" Brower.

Power Uti vs Kamala The Ugandan Giant.

Power Uti vs Johnny Kwango

Power Uti vs Ox Baker, etc.

I know Mills Mascaras and Gentleman Chris Adams also wrestled at the National Stadium, but I can't remember who their opponents were.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
Ultimate Commander

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of Mike Bamidele, Ben LionHeart & Elephando Bassey. sad
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by OzReal(m): 8:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
naptu2: Bash Ali

Bash Ali vs Joe Lasisi was probably the biggest boxing match in Nigeria in the late 80's/early 90's. It was won by Bash Ali, but Lasisi protested the decision because during the match he saw 2 Bash Ali & he believed that Ali should have been disqualified for using juju (Bendel Insurance). (Obviously he got hit one too many times).

Hey naptu, who was the guy that Bash Ali fought around 1999/2000 when he made this statement " I will intimidate him in the first round; break him down physically in the second round, and knock him out in the third round"? I will never forget that statement. Me and my friends back in secondary school used to have a laugh over that statement. By the way, great job with the this thread; it has been most educative.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:36pm On Oct 16, 2012
OzReal:

Hey naptu, who was the guy that Bash Ali fought around 1999/2000 when he made this statement " I will intimidate him in the first round; break him down physically in the second round, and knock him out in the third round"? I will never forget that statement. Me and my friends back in secondary school used to have a laugh over that statement. By the way, great job with the this thread; it has been most educative.

Thanks bro. That's the promo for the fight against Terry Ray (Sept. 2000).
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2012
Peters Emmanuel Oghenejobo

Silver medallist (Taekwondo) @ the Barcelona 1992 Olympics
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:47pm On Oct 16, 2012
Chika Chukwumerije

Bronze medallist, Taekwondo Men's +80 kg, @ the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by OzReal(m): 9:47pm On Oct 16, 2012
Yeah Terry Ray, that was the guy. lol! But Bash Ali could really run his mouth then; whatever happened to him?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:59pm On Oct 16, 2012
OzReal: Yeah Terry Ray, that was the guy. lol! But Bash Ali could really run his mouth then; whatever happened to him?

He's still trying to break the record for the oldest world champion. He tried to get funding from President Obasanjo to stage the fight in Nigeria. Obasanjo bought the idea at first, but pulled out after Bash Ali performed badly in a warm up fight (he didn't want to sponsor a suicide attempt).

Presidents Yar'Adua and Jonathan ignored him, so he turned to Ghaddafi for funding. He was in Libya when the crisis started and was one of the Nigerians that were evacuated by the Federal Government.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 16, 2012
naptu2:

He's still trying to break the record for the oldest world champion. He tried to get funding from President Obasanjo to stage the fight in Nigeria. Obasanjo bought the idea at first, but pulled out after Bash Ali performed badly in a warm up fight (he didn't want to sponsor a suicide attempt).

Presidents Yar'Adua and Jonathan ignored him, so he turned to Ghaddafi for funding. He was in Libya when the crisis started and was one of the Nigerians that were evacuated by the Federal Government.

LOllll. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 2:20am On Oct 17, 2012
naptu2: Samuel "The Nigerian Nightmare" Peter

'The Nigerian Nightmare' my black asss. More like the 'The Nigerian Joke'. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.