Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,349 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201664 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
Mentolathum.

Mentolathum was more popular than rob, its closest rival, but it disappeared from the market in the early '90s.

The company is owned by the Dantata family.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
Okin Biscuits.

I used to dunk the circular biscuits into my tea, cocoa or coffee until it was soggy. The shortcake, on the other hand, came ready-to-eat (cos it was so sweet).

However, there was another biscuit that I loved even more than okin biscuit. It looked like the shortcake, but I can't remember its name. I often forgot its name, even when I was a kid. When I remembered I would run to my mum excitedly and declare that I don't want okin biscuit, I want **** biscuit.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2012
Nasco biscuits ( "Nasco biscuits, king of biscuits, nasco biscuits got that flavour. . . )

Nasco wafers, Nasco Cornflakes, etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2012
I wonder how many people know what this is?

Whistle pop smiley

It's both a "sweet" and a whistle! Two for the price of one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2012
Bata.

I was searching for Cortina ( "Back to school cortina" ), but I'll make do with this.

The biggest shoe store chain in Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 4:16pm On Nov 21, 2012
debosky: Fantastic thread naptu2. . . .just went through the entire thing. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. wink
You came late grin
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:12pm On Nov 21, 2012
Maggi sauce smiley reminds me of meals I ate with my dad.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2012
naptu2: Maggi sauce smiley reminds me of meals I ate with my dad.
Yum yum. I hated it but Mother seemed to be especially fond of it smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 21, 2012
Lol at Cortina shoes. Supplies for a new school year weren't complete without a pair.

Whistle pop along with dry treetop..........let's just say they were responsible for many a lashes of 'pankere'

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
naptu2: Nasco biscuits ( "Nasco biscuits, king of biscuits, nasco biscuits got that flavour. . . )

Nasco wafers, Nasco Cornflakes, etc.
You forgot to add Nabisco biscuits smiley

The Nasco cornflakes sold now doesn't hold a candle to what we had way back then
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
naptu2: Okin Biscuits.

I used dunk the circular biscuits into my tea, cocoa or coffee until it was soggy. The shortcake, on the other hand, came ready-to-eat (cos it was so sweet).

However, there was another biscuit that I loved even more than okin biscuit. It looked like the shortcake, but I can't remember its name. I often forgot its name, even when I was a kid. When I remembered I would run to my mum excitedly and declare that I don't want okin biscuit, I want **** biscuit.

Whatever happened to Okin biscuit? sad
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2012
naijababe: Lol at Cortina shoes. Supplies for a new school year weren't complete without a pair.

Whistle pop along with dry treetop..........let's just say they were responsible for many a lashes of 'pankere'

Tree Top smiley

Orange or blackcurrant. Bottle (liquid form) or sachet (powder/dry form).

I especially loved licking the powdered version. This was the "bribe" that you were offered to stop you crying after being injected when you were sick.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
naptu2: Mentolathum.

Mentolathum was more popular than rob, its closest rival, but it disappeared from the market in the early '90s.

The company is owned by the Dantata family.
Awwww... I used to call it 'Mentholator'. It disappeared some time around the mid 90s, and that was when Robb started gaining ground
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:47pm On Nov 21, 2012
Cafenol.

Back in the day you didn't say painkiller or aspirin or even paracetamol; you said Cafenol. It was so popular that they didn't even need to advertise.

The pink tablets were for kids, while the white tablets were for adults. I absolutely loved children's Cafenol, so much that I was tempted to lick those sweet pink tablets, even when I wasn't suffering from "aches and pains".

Sometime in the mid '80s it was announced that aspirin had some kind of harmful side effects (can't remember what they were). The active ingredients in Cafenol were aspirin and caffeine. Cafenol disappeared from the market and it was replaced with paracetamol (particularly the Panadol brand of paracetamol).

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:41pm On Nov 21, 2012
naptu2: Cafenol.

Sometime in the mid '80s it was announced that aspirin had some kind of harmful side effects (can't remember what they were). The active ingredients in Cafenol were aspirin and caffeine. Cafenol disappeared from the market and it was replaced with paracetamol (particularly the Panadol brand of paracetamol).
Yep. 'They' said it made men sterile. Don't know if its true sha
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:53am On Nov 22, 2012
Ishilove:
Yep. 'They' said it made men sterile. Don't know if its true sha

I think they also said it causes ulcers.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 11:50am On Nov 22, 2012
naptu2:

I think they also said it causes ulcers.
Do you know if 'they' were correct?
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ishilove:
Do you know if 'they' were correct?

Yes they were correct. I remember now. Even my relatives in the medical field told me that it can cause ulcer.

In the mid '80s they said "aspirin causes ulcer" and in the late '90s they said "small doses of aspirin can prevent heart attacks", or something like that.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:34pm On Nov 22, 2012
My all time favourite! To me, everything else was inferior.

Planta smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 6:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
naptu2: My all time favourite! To me, everything else was inferior.

Planta smiley
Planta, o planta,

Butter creamier butter taste!

cheesy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 22, 2012
naptu2:

Yes they were correct. I remember now. Even my relatives in the medical field told me that it can cause ulcer.

In the mid '80s they said "aspirin causes ulcer" and in the late '90s they said "small doses of aspirin can prevent heart attacks", or something like that.

Can cause ulcer if taken on an empty stomach often. It does not prevent heart attacks perse, it thins the blood which aids in the prevention of thrombosis or embolism.

I often take two aspirins before a long haul flight especially if I am going to travel cattle class.

naptu2:

Tree Top smiley

Orange or blackcurrant. Bottle (liquid form) or sachet (powder/dry form).

I especially loved licking the powdered version. This was the "bribe" that you were offered to stop you crying after being injected when you were sick.

The things 'dry tree top' caused in my life eh! My mum used to say 'won si ma fi tree top fun e l'aje'. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
Blue Band.

Didn't like it at first. I felt it was of inferior quality. However, I acquired a taste for it after Planta disappeared from the market.

This is the original tin can that could leave you with lacerated fingers and thumbs (before they started using plastic tubs and sachets).

Bread, bread, new Blue Band on bread, your family's (insert missing word) with Blue Band on bread.

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 8:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
naptu2: Blue Band.

Bread, bread, new Blue Band on bread, your family's (insert missing word) with Blue Band on bread.
Lol!! So I am not the only one who just could never figure out what those missing words were cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 9:06pm On Nov 22, 2012
Tandi Guarana

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
naptu2: Tandi Guarana

Resurrected in Lacasera! Never cared for it much.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 9:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
naijababe:

Resurrected in Lacasera! Never cared for it much.
Its refreshing for you,
Tandi Guranda!
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Ishilove: 10:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
Double post
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Desola(f): 1:07am On Nov 23, 2012
naijababe:

Can cause ulcer if taken on an empty stomach often. It does not prevent heart attacks perse, it thins the blood which aids in the prevention of thrombosis or embolism.

I often take two aspirins before a long haul flight especially if I am going to travel cattle class.

The things 'dry tree top' caused in my life eh! My mum used to say 'won si ma fi tree top fun e l'aje'. cheesy

opolo ti poju fun e, ki lo de! angry
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:32am On Nov 23, 2012
Africola

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 8:05am On Nov 23, 2012
Bazooka Joe

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 23, 2012
Desola:

opolo ti poju fun e, ki lo de! angry

Ha! Olori, no be my fault o. Na dividend of Awo's free education policy grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 2:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
Cadbury's Chocolate Spread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.