Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? (7171 Views)

Can Drinking BLEACH Cure Ebola / Does JIK (bleach) Have Any Side Effect? / Why Do People Bleach Their Skin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by hotfunmi(f): 10:09pm On Jan 16, 2008
why bleach your skin please? i noticed that this act is more prevalent among we yorubas. Are we not proud of our Africanness andymore. Even after Fela warned and made jest of those that do it, the trend continues to grow and men are fighting with women these days for bleaching cream.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by TheSly: 10:17pm On Jan 16, 2008
next time, try not to generalize cool , its not only the yoruba's that bleach or is micheal jackson a yoruba man?. . . undecided

and the answer to your question is. . .*because they dont really like their natural skin color and they believe that its gonna be iight with them if they bleach cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by hotfunmi(f): 10:48pm On Jan 16, 2008
micheal jackson did not bleach his skin. He had surgery because of a skin disease and i still do not support him. I was talking about Nigeria and Jackson is not Nigerian. In nigeria, about 90% of those that bleach their skins are yoruba women and not the men. Am i wrong correct me please? because most of my aunts and cousins are culprits too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by TheSly: 11:10pm On Jan 16, 2008

micheal jackson did not bleach his skin. He had surgery because of a skin disease and i still do not support him

really?

In nigeria, about 90% of those that bleach their skins are yoruba women and not the men. Am i wrong correct me please?

ermmm i don't think you're wrong but i believe its their choice to do whatever they like with their skin,i don't really know the reason why most people are doing this but i guess maybe the are not satisfied with their natural skin color, afterall its a free world! wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by ell77(f): 11:19pm On Jan 16, 2008
hotfunmi:

why bleach your skin please? i noticed that this act is more prevalent among we yorubas. Are we not proud of our Africanness andymore. Even after Fela warned and made jest of those that do it, the trend continues to grow and men are fighting with women these days for bleaching cream.

Is it more prevalent in Yoruba people?

I didn't know that, are you sure you are not generalising as i have seen people do it from many different tribes it is a black issue full stop. If you ask a lot of Nigerian men now they will say they can marry any colour but would prefer light skinned girls. It is not the same with all Nigerian guys though and i don't know if it is a majority or minority to be honest, it is kinda hard to tell. Overseas I would say it is majority but in Nigeria I would say it is not. There are so many black (as in black as the night beautiful) peeps in Naija i don't know why people will worry about skin colour. Having said that if their skin has discolouration then that may be why, and it is not really a race thing therefore.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by hotfunmi(f): 11:49pm On Jan 16, 2008
If you ask a lot of Nigerian men now they will say they can marry any colour but would prefer light skinned girls. It is not the same with all Nigerian guys though and i don't know if it is a majority or minority to be honest, it is kind of hard to tell.

Imagine! Nigerian men are doing this all the time thereby forcing their women into body discoloration inorder to satisfy them. I say, forget them and stay on top of your game even if you dark pass Kwara people. Kapush.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by MsCee(f): 12:10pm On Jan 17, 2008
I agree with u, Yoruba people are the main culprits.
light skinned people, ladies especially, are generally regarded as attractive. it is possible to stop and stare at a very light skinned girl who is not beautiful in the least bit. if two people, one dark and the other light walk in the street, the latter is bound to be noticed first even if the former is more beautiful. from the foregoing, i think that ladies do this just to get noticed. they do not even consider the the health risks or even the long term effect of bleaching. it is 'a sorry case'.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by sistajay(f): 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2008
If you no dey happy for your own skin by all means change it. De problem started with most of our naija men wanting light skin women. For me sha black is beautiful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by efuah(f): 3:18pm On Jan 17, 2008
yeah, black is surely beautiful kiss
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by hotfunmi(f): 5:46pm On Jan 17, 2008
Sister Jay
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much?

If you no dey happy for your own skin by

I disagree with you because you really need to like your skin no matter how he is.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 17, 2008
you are talking jazz undecided

who told u michael had a skin disease? they guy had a plastic surgery because of the racism in america at that tyme, the fool wanted to boost his career and he thought the colour was the solution.

the slowpoke is no regretting, i even saw him weeping on the interview the other day cry
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by hotfunmi(f): 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2008
michael jackson had vitiligo abeg. search google for more info on vitiligo. You don't see poor people that have it in Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by osisi5: 8:18pm On Jan 17, 2008
The poster may have said Yorubas do it more because he/she happens to be Yoruba and is sorrounded by Yorubas.
The question should be why do black people bleach their skin ?
Igbos,Jamaicans,African Americans,Calabar and Urhobos bleach their skin.
And it's not only females,some males bleach too.
It's digusting,unhealthy and unsightly.
A fair skinned woman with a black butt,black hands and feet.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 17, 2008
@hotfunmi
mi o le pariwo
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by sistajay(f): 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2008
@ Hotfunmi

Na wa o, wetin I talk? I sey for me black is beautiful, meaning I love my skin I no go ever change my skin color. I said for dose wey no dey happy with their skin color fit bleach if dey want.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by TOYOSI20(f): 10:16pm On Jan 17, 2008
Not all "Yoruba's BLEACH" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

The women in my family do not do that. These are my role models, from my Grand mother, (on both sides), my aunts, and my dear Mother, we have imbibed the culture of taking good care of our skins and letting our skins reciprocate, so to speak.

In otherword looking radiant and beautiful.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by kbobo(m): 11:05am On Jul 29, 2008
Hi,

I do not agree.The issue of bleaching is individual.Even here in the north ladies bleach.

Any lady that is not satisfied with her colour in respective of tribe or race will bleach.

Cheers.
Kolawole.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Gamine(f): 11:09am On Jul 29, 2008
The number one bleachers are a tie between Igbo boys and Yoruba women
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by stnonymus(m): 10:58am On Jul 30, 2008
This is an amazing discovery.I never knew Yorubas where into bleaching.I knew it was very common amongst the Ibo's.I am actually reluctant to use the term Yoruba and Ibo because i don't want to generalize and because we have become to too tribally sensitive in Nigeria.

I don't know what the motivation is as regards bleaching.But i don't believe that its just an attempt to look more attractive.I think theres a deeper reason.I hope to find out someday.

But how on earth can a man be attracted to a woman who bleaches .I want to puke when i see a bleached skin.Its a serious turn off for me.Especially the pungent smell of their soaps and cream.Urrrrgghhhhhhh!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Moyola(f): 11:12am On Jul 30, 2008
Gamine:

The number one bleachers are a tie between Igbo boys and Yoruba women

Yeah,
buh i know of one fulani gurl dat bleach aswell lipsrsealed

@ TOPIC

. . . most of dem c it as a norm,

buh itz so horrible. . . a slight cut on thier skin. . . tongue
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by chiegemba(f): 11:14am On Jul 30, 2008
Dont think its only Yorubas. . . . u get them in all tribes wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Gamine(f): 11:24am On Jul 30, 2008
Fulani gey, bleaching

wetin she wan be Albino undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by deleson: 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2008
I will flow with the postulation that such act of bleaching is prevalent amidst the yoruba women( especially the illiterates), But then your statement needs a perfect directing,don't just genralise it the all yoruba women. At least my mama no bleach,
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by tpia: 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2008
na wa for all this generalization. undecided

Well, I dont know the exact statistics on bleaching, but the guy I used to know, who bleached and also jerry curled his hair, wasnt Yoruba.

Terrible effect too, since nobody was fooled. undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by ssRhino: 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2008
Nice topic but would have been better without generalization.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by bilymuse: 5:50pm On Aug 23, 2008
its ignorant.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by Flakybaby(f): 1:13am On Aug 25, 2008
Its not only yorubas that bleach, its depends on the individual.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by ikeyman00(m): 11:05pm On May 14, 2009
jona=hotfunmi
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by ifyalways(f): 5:26am On May 15, 2009
and u are undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by bsanya(f): 11:11am On May 15, 2009
well is not only the yorubas that bleach their skin,the Ibo's does. Is just we are not satisfy with what God gave us and some even regret the action cos some of them xperience skin burn.
BE URSELF, KEEP FIT AND LOOK GOOD.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by chase4(m): 8:02pm On May 15, 2009
It is a general problem but it is more among the yorubas especially among the poor and the illiterates. In the 90's when i first went to Lagos from the east i was shocked by the extent of their bleaching. You need to hear how they mix these creams, was told they use lime, mclean etc You see some women with hairs in unusual places and green nerves showing all over their bodies. It is really pathetic.
Every skin colour is beautiful, all one needs do is take good care of it.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Bleach So Much? by slimfine(f): 9:02pm On May 31, 2009
could be but some igbo women bleach too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osinbajo: Nigeria Will Receive 84 Million Doses Of Astrazeneca Vaccine This Year / Indomie Is Bad For Ur Kids / Why You Should Take Tre En En

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.