Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram (7064 Views)

Prosecutor Is Loosing The Battle Against Saraki / Military Releases Pictures Of Battle Against Boko Haram In Gombi / Ineffective Battle Against Insurgents: I Will Probe The Military - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Idokojimmy: 5:43am On Oct 02, 2012
-Six members killed in fighting

-Bomb suspects held in Ibadan

-Sect’s leader vows more attacks

It was a bad Independence Day for the fundamentalist Boko Haram sect yesterday.

Six suspected members of the group were killed by the Joint Task Force in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital and Zaria, the university town in Kaduna State.

One was killed in a gun duel in Zaria; five were gunned down in Maiduguri.

But the sect’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, vowed more attacks, saying the group would target government officials’ and military leaders’ wives – in retaliation for the detention of its members’ wives.

Shekau said the nation’s military and security agencies have seized 10 women who are wives of Boko Haram members. He claimed the women had been raped by the captors, though he did not elaborate on how he knew that.

Shekau issued the threat in a YouTube video over the anti-Islam film that has sparked widespread protests in the Muslim world.

“First, insults against the prophet, evil plots against him, making blasphemous movies against him, all these will do no harm to Islam,” Shekau said in the video, which appears to have been posted on Sunday. He spoke in Hausa.

“Anybody plotting this will surely pay for it. Everybody knows what this statement entails. Everybody should wait and see what we will do regarding this,” he said.

The video could not be independently authenticated, according to the AFP, but it closely resembled previous such videos of Shekau, who has been in hiding since a 2009 crackdown by the military on Boko Haram.

In the video, Shekau appears relaxed, wearing a checkered red-and-white Keffiyeh scarf. A Kalashnikov assault rifle leans against the wall behind him.

At one point in the video, Shekau laughed and said: “You should wait and see what’s going to happen to your own wives.”

“Let it be clear that we never sought dialogue or to sit down with government agents or representatives … they (Nigerian leaders) will never know peace while they attack our members.”

Shekau also said the sect’s spokesman was being detained by the security forces.

“Our spokesman, Abu Qaqa is alive but with the security agents, but I believe strongly that after this message from me, they may decide to kill him this night,” Shekau said.

It was the first public statement on the matter by the militants since a raid, which it says led to Qaqa’s arrest but not his death.

Senior security sources said on Sept. 16 that troops had killed a man identified as “Anwal Kontagora, alias ‘Abu Qaqa’”, whose pen name is often used to claim responsibility for the sect’s pronouncements from its base in the northeast of the country.

A number of protests over the anti-Islam film produced in the United States have been held in the North, organised by a Shiite Muslim group not connected to Boko Haram, with no violent incidents occurring. The protests have been held in Jos, Katsina, Kaduna and Zaria, among others.
In the nine-minute video, Shekau, an AK-47 leant on the wall next to him, also threatens the government, saying he is prepared to die. He denied that the group has been holding dialogue with the government.

Boko Haram’s insurgency in the North has been blamed for more than 1,400 deaths since 2010.
It was a bloody Independence Day in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, yesterday.

A member of the Joint Task Force (JTF) was killed and four others seriously injured when an Improvised Explosives Device (IED) targeted at their patrol vehicle exploded on Lagos Street in the city. The assailants were believed to be members of Boko Haram.

According to sources, the JTF men were on routine patrol when the bomb went off around 8am. The patrol vehicle went up in flames. A Fire Service source told our reporter that he saw the body of a soldier lying on the ground.
He said other soldiers were injured. But JTF spokesman Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa denied knowledge of the attack. He, however, confirmed that there was an explosion in the area and promised to give details later. Shops owners around the place quickly fled the area leaving their shops open. Security operatives cordoned off the area.

Maiduguri Street were deserted as people ran indoors. Four people were shot dead on Sunday night by gunmen in Damboa, also in the beleaguered city. Residents said the people were shot dead by gunmen who stormed their homes behind the CBN quarters.
The JTF attacked the sect and killed five suspected members in a gun duel at Abbaganaram Ward.

Two explosions had earlier rocked the state capital in the morning at Gwange quarters and Lagos Street.

In Jos, the Plateau state capital, the police yesterday defused an Improvised Explosive Device on Ajayi Street in the centre of the city.
The IED was planted by unknown persons at about 10.10 pm on Sunday at the densely populated area of Kwararafa, near the Jos Central Mosque.
Nobody died. The police arrested one person over the incident.

The police Bomb Disposal Squad, led by Mr.Abel Mbibi, was alerted by members of the public. Police spokesman Emmanuel Abuh said the suspect had been handed over to the Special Task Force. (STF).
In Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, three suspects, including a Burkinabe, have been arrested by the police for allegedly attempting to smuggle explosive devices into the country through a border.
The explosives were allegedly meant for Borno and Yobe states.

The suspects, who were paraded by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operation), Mr Musa Kimo, at the Police Headquarters, Eleyele, Ibadan are in their 40s.

Kimo said the suspects were apprehended around 8pm on Saturday by the anti-bomb squad. He said they concealed the explosives in a sack.

Kimo added that the anti-bomb personnels confirmed that the explosives recovered from them are capable of destroying a whole community and was expected to be transported to Yobe and Borno states.
The police boss said one of the suspects claimed to be a citizen of Burkina Faso works with a mining company in Kwara State. The other said he is from Lambu town in Kano State.

Although the Burkinabe said he was sent from the mining company to deliver the explosives to someone, Kimo said if he was on a legal trip, the law stipulates that anyone transporting an explosive should inform the police for authorisation.
He also said the suspect from Kano State wanted to bribe the policemen with N20,000 but the officers refused his offer.

He said investigation into the incident was going on.
In Zaria, the Independence Day celebration was marred by explosions in Danmagaji when men of JTF again launched an attack on a suspected hideout of Boko Haram members, killing one and arresting another.
An eye witness account said security operatives launched an attack on one of the houses in the area, adding that there was an exchange of gun fire with members of the sect for several hours.
It was gathered that after the gun duel, the security men overpowered members of the sect, killing one of them and arresting another.

Kaduna State Commissioner of Police Olufemi Adenaike confirmed the incident. He said security men recovered some items.
“We are on top of the situation,” Adenaike said, adding that the raid is continuous.
Members of the JTF had on Sunday raided a suspected Boko Haram bomb factory at Gaskiya in Zaria during which two persons were killed after a gun battle.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/joint-task-force-steps-up-battle-against-boko-haram/

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by killuminati(m): 6:11am On Oct 02, 2012
Dis one na em dem dey caLl 'ghenghen'!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Obere4u: 6:34am On Oct 02, 2012
JTF << FBI
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Lawconfessor(f): 7:27am On Oct 02, 2012
SMILES NO DEY DIS PPL'S FACE OOO
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by cutievik: 8:10am On Oct 02, 2012
U want more pics? Let me help!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by cutievik: 8:13am On Oct 02, 2012
I posted four IIA(intense in action) pictures of the jtf nd d fucking Mod hid them,damn nairaland!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by jmaine: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2012
We need more of such cordinated efforts to rout out those terrorist . . . . .
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Idokojimmy: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2012
Go for gold JTF
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by pwettytemmy(f): 8:38am On Oct 02, 2012
If shekau is not afraid to die as he said, let him come ø̲̣ΰ† of his hidden place n openly declare himself as shekau. Useless moronic fools. Their days are numbered Insha Allahu. Aboki ram. Btw, wat penalties awaits those dat r caught? They should be dealt with asap cuz they av no right on planet earth to breathe.

3 Likes

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by tellwsdom: 8:52am On Oct 02, 2012
All na wash undecided undecided
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Ariyke: 9:02am On Oct 02, 2012
If he's nt afraid to die make him come out of hiding na yeye man lipsrsealed
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 02, 2012
JTF,you guys are really doing a good job.boko haram must go into extinction..the bast.a.r.d must be wiped out,so Nigeria can have a breath of fresh air..they have no just cause to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by cytellProperty: 9:07am On Oct 02, 2012
pwettytemmy: If shekau is not afraid to die as he said, let him come ø̲̣ΰ† of his hidden place n openly declare himself as shekau. Useless moronic fools. Their days are numbered Insha Allahu. Aboki ram. Btw, wat penalties awaits those dat r caught? They should be dealt with asap cuz they av no right on planet earth to breathe.
Abi, bunch of cowards.

1 Like

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Sealeddeal(m): 9:10am On Oct 02, 2012
Nna eh,this boko haram people are no longer destroying north alone.they are actually destroying the whole of nigeria.i have felt the impact of theri action in my area in nnewi.so many things are going backward here and some businesses aint moving again.are we going to be perpetually under the threat of these terrorists?alot of things need to be put in place or removed to,atleast,put pressure on them.GEJ,do more! I thank u for the ones u have already done.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 02, 2012
So they wanna fight back because their women were detained? what happened to the women deported from Saudi Arabia? I thought by now Bokoharam must have blown up Saudi Embassy? Blawdy murrafuckers!! angry
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by misreal(m): 9:12am On Oct 02, 2012
Omo dis guys de vex oh cool
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Asiwaju9ja(m): 9:15am On Oct 02, 2012
I urge JTF to sustain the raids, BH is gradually fading. Its She-Cow-u that does videos himself now.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by shineeye1: 9:18am On Oct 02, 2012
I think the publicity given to the pronouncements of this mad fellow needs to be reviewed. I can’t see how the ranting of this acutely deranged sub-human is helping the fight to finally crush them from the land. I think the publicity given to this poo should be censored. We can eliminate them without the glorification of their madness. WHO CARES WHAT THE BOKO RAM GOT TO SAY!

2 Likes

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by henrychubayo: 9:19am On Oct 02, 2012
Seems like they are losing the battle. I wonder why their people/ members are been kept alive in prisons. Acquire the necessary information and terminate them. His statement shows he is bluffing.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Remzolution: 9:38am On Oct 02, 2012
tellwsdom: All na wash undecided undecided
You are a damned pessimist, one who never believes that the fight against terrorism in Nigeria is on the progressive...your reasoning capacity is so negligible that you fail to see these guys' efforts manifesting some level of peace over the past few weeks.hence, i recommend you for therapy!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by gbadexy(m): 9:44am On Oct 02, 2012
Am trying to understand the mind set of this shekau but I can't.
He said they aren't in negotiation with the government and they won't stop until the government stops harassing them. Who started what? Besides they have given conditions before that there members should be released before dialogue only for them to continue.
It seems the man doesn't see anything in killing innocent people but starts crying fowl and making threats when same is visited on his people!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Remzolution: 9:55am On Oct 02, 2012
Seemingly, BH is losing the fight. Their ploy and mayhem is caving in on them, they are tiring out. This is kudos 2d JTF, they are facing them squarely now, thanks to their ability to infiltrate and garner info. Very soon BH will be begging for amnesty. Do more GEJ!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Godjone(m): 11:31am On Oct 02, 2012
The part of his speech that makes me amaze. 'at a point shekau laugh' end of qoute. May dat laugh be ur last laugh on earth.... Ekwensu

1 Like

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Israelmossaic: 11:31am On Oct 02, 2012
GEJ has told us already that His admin is winning the war on terrorism, and the JTF guys are doing a wonderful job. We are truly the giant of Africa. GEJ carrygo
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by unphilaz(m): 11:32am On Oct 02, 2012
Obere4u: JTF << FBI
important infor
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Joeadamu86: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2012
We are seeing serious progress by our security agencies oh.....carry go JTF forward march.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by tpapi: 11:44am On Oct 02, 2012
talk is cheap,boko haram ur boys r bin rounded up n gunned down,u cant win dis war,jtf help us send more bodies 6feets below

1 Like

Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by 1800bc(f): 11:51am On Oct 02, 2012
this is not a small something!!!
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by ijo4lite(m): 12:15pm On Oct 02, 2012
kudos to GEJ, afterall we always blame him when things aint good
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by tellwsdom: 12:16pm On Oct 02, 2012
Remzolution: You are a damned pessimist, one who never believes that the fight against terrorism in Nigeria is on the progressive...your reasoning capacity is so negligible that you fail to see these guys' efforts manifesting some level of peace over the past few weeks.hence, i recommend you for therapy!

Yes i am, as far as nigeria is concerned sad sad……This news reminds me of an armed robber, arrested with 8 guns, 6 cartridge, 4 50litres of petrol and some charms.. Just 1 person undecided undecided
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Joeadamu86: 12:24pm On Oct 02, 2012
tellwsdom:

Yes i am, as far as nigeria is concerned sad sad……This news reminds me of an armed robber, arrested with 8 guns, 6 cartridge, 4 50litres of petrol and some charms.. Just 1 person undecided undecided
you better wake up from your slumber....this is a very serious and I think govt is really trying in this regard.
Re: JTF Steps-up Battle Against Boko-Haram by Olanlere11: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
Now GEJ can comfortably say he is on top of the situation. He has finally over powered the evil people

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘ There Is No Transformation In Railway System’ ~ Rowland Ataguba / IMF’s Advice Poisonous - NUPENG, PENGASSAN / The ECOWAS We Desire, And Must Have, By President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.