Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Is Suicide A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Suicide A Sin? (2544 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? / Is Suicide A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 03, 2012
Most people consider suicide a sin. I'm yet to find a bible passage that says so. In fact, there are passages that mentions people who committed suicide like Judas Iscariot. Personally, i don't think suicide is a sin. I might even consider it an act of bravery.
It takes a brave man to want to leave this world that people are so scared of leaving. Isn't it better to exit the world than to live a painful and sick life.
There are some ailments that makes one an outcast and a reject. Some incurable illnesses that makes one a burden on families and friends.
I think it is a better option. As for going to hell if u commit suicide,if suicide is not a sin how can u go to hell for it?
Bible scholars, pls explain to me in a rational and convincing manner how suicide is a sin backing with relevant bible passages.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Callotti: 10:44am On Oct 03, 2012
I don't think suicide is a sin.
Depending on the circumstances, it could be an act of bravery or cowardice.
Religious perspectives may vary.
Not my headache then. cool
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by mumumugu(m): 12:39pm On Oct 03, 2012
U didnt bring urself to dis world so u shudnt take urself out of it.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 03, 2012
Gaggi: Most people consider suicide a sin. I'm yet to find a bible passage that says so. In fact, there are passages that mentions people who committed suicide like Judas Iscariot. Personally, i don't think suicide is a sin. I might even consider it an act of bravery.
It takes a brave man to want to leave this world that people are so scared of leaving. Isn't it better to exit the world than to live a painful and sick life.
There are some ailments that makes one an outcast and a reject. Some incurable illnesses that makes one a burden on families and friends.
I think it is a better option. As for going to hell if u commit suicide,if suicide is not a sin how can u go to hell for it?
Bible scholars, pls explain to me in a rational and convincing manner how suicide is a sin backing with relevant bible passages.
ITS NOT A SIN. ROMANS 4 VS 15
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
Interesting topic! Subscribing grin
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2012
seriallink: Interesting topic! Subscribing grin
hehe i hope you are not thinking of ermmmm *cough* ermm *cough* ermmmm. never mind grin
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2012
No its not. It's my life, i can do with it what I please.

That's one argument. Another argument, for those who believe in an after-life, is simply that death is nothing more than a transition to another realm. So what's wrong with deciding to transit to another realm? Must I wait for an accident or illness or old age to take the decision for me? ? ? ? ?
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
Deep Sight:
No its not. It's my life, i can do with it what I please.

That's one argument. Another argument, for those who believe in an after-life, is simply that death is nothing more than a transition to another realm. So what's wrong with deciding to transit to another realm? Must I wait for an accident or illness or old age to take the decision for me? ? ? ? ?
knock yourself out brah. just remember to leave your bank account number with trusted members of the forum such as myself

2 Likes

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2012
I hope the OP's not considering suicide..
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: knock yourself out brah. just remember to leave your bank account number with trusted members of the forum such as myself

Olodo. Who said I'm contemplating such? But there are members of society who legitimately desire such and should not be prevented. One example is the paralyzed man in the UK who finally died some weeks ago. His family had instituted a legal action seeking to permit him to be taken to DIGNITAS in Switzerland, where Euthanasia is legally possible to permit terminally ill people to have a dignified exit from a miserable existence. It's only humane.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
Deep Sight:

Olodo. Who said I'm contemplating such? But there are members of society who legitimately desire such and should not be prevented. One example is the paralyzed man in the UK who finally died some weeks ago. His family had instituted a legal action seeking to permit him to be taken to DIGNITAS in Switzerland, where Euthanasia is legally possible to permit terminally ill people to have a dignified exit from a miserable existence. It's only humane.
AS I SAID PRIOR, LEAVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER WITH TRUSTED MEMBERS OF THE FORUM SUCH AS MYSELF undecided
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by DeepSight(m): 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
obadiah777: AS I SAID PRIOR, LEAVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER WITH TRUSTED MEMBERS OF THE FORUM SUCH AS MYSELF undecided

Da.ft.

1 Like

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by coolotunba(m): 6:18pm On Oct 03, 2012
It is never God's plan for anyone to commit suicide. There is no situation that a genuine repentant and passionate plea to God cannot change. It may take time but note God is looking for a genuine reconciliation from ur heart. As wicked as Ahab was, after killing Naboth over his vineyard. When he showed remorse over what he has done, He was shown reprieve by God. 1 kings 21.27-29. Finally my friend, God said cursed is he that commit suicide. If it is not a sin, God won't say Cursed is he that commit suicide. Deut. 21: 23; Gal. 3: 13. We pray God to give us the grace to run our race.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
Gaggi: Most people consider suicide a sin. I'm yet to find a bible passage that says so. In fact, there are passages that mentions people who committed suicide like Judas Iscariot. Personally, i don't think suicide is a sin. I might even consider it an act of bravery.

Must it have to come from the bible? Cant you use common sense? Nigeria can never move forward with these over reliant on the bible. Would you kill your brother if the bible says its ok to do it?
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:53pm On Oct 03, 2012
In some cases, suicide may be a sin.
In other cases, suicide can be a blessing!
My respects.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by OmoAlata(f): 7:55am On Oct 04, 2012
coolotunba: If it is not a sin, God won't say Cursed is he that commit suicide. Deut. 21: 23; Gal. 3: 13.

I thought Deuteronomy was talking about someone who was hanged for committing an offence

1 Like

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by CrazyMan(m): 9:46am On Oct 04, 2012
obadiah777: ITS NOT A SIN. ROMANS 4 VS 15
That verse was referring to Abraham...

Suicide is a sin buzugee!!! It is a sin.

The Bible if you must know records well-known incidents of suicide - King Saul in the Old Testament Judas Iscariot in the New Testament, and When Jesus Christ healed a man of demon possession at Gerasenes,

Even though the circumstances of Saul and Judas were different, they did have something very much in common. Saul was under the influence of an evil spirit (1 Samuel 16:14), and Judas had been directly entered by Satan (John 13:27).

And the third case which I mentioned, Jesus had the demons go out from the man and into a large herd pigs that were grazing nearby (Mark 5:1-12).

And what did the pigs do after the demons had entered them? They ran down the bank, into the lake, and drowned themselves (Mark 5:13). With the demons in them, the pigs committed suicide.

Read you bible properly buzugee cos suicide is of the devil...therefore it is a sin.

1 Like

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 04, 2012
coolotunba: It is never God's plan for anyone to commit suicide. There is no situation that a genuine repentant and passionate plea to God cannot change. It may take time but note God is looking for a genuine reconciliation from ur heart. As wicked as Ahab was, after killing Naboth over his vineyard. When he showed remorse over what he has done, He was shown reprieve by God. 1 kings 21.27-29. Finally my friend, God said cursed is he that commit suicide. If it is not a sin, God won't say Cursed is he that commit suicide. Deut. 21: 23; Gal. 3: 13. We pray God to give us the grace to run our race.

It says hanged. A criminal was hanged those days. The other passage says, cursed is he who hangs from a tree. Criminals were either crucified or hanged. I don't think those verses referred to suicide if not it would have specifically said, cursed is the man who hangs himself.

ifeness:

Must it have to come from the bible? Cant you use common sense? Nigeria can never move forward with these over reliant on the bible. Would you kill your brother if the bible says its ok to do it?

Dummy. Contribute logically or get out.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 04, 2012
CrazyMan:
That verse was referring to Abraham...

Suicide is a sin buzugee!!! It is a sin.

The Bible if you must know records well-known incidents of suicide - King Saul in the Old Testament Judas Iscariot in the New Testament, and When Jesus Christ healed a man of demon possession at Gerasenes,

Even though the circumstances of Saul and Judas were different, they did have something very much in common. Saul was under the influence of an evil spirit (1 Samuel 16:14), and Judas had been directly entered by Satan (John 13:27).

And the third case which I mentioned, Jesus had the demons go out from the man and into a large herd pigs that were grazing nearby (Mark 5:1-12).

And what did the pigs do after the demons had entered them? They ran down the bank, into the lake, and drowned themselves (Mark 5:13). With the demons in them, the pigs committed suicide.

Read you bible properly buzugee cos suicide is of the devil...therefore it is a sin.
HEY BRAH CRAZYMAN, HOW BODY ? NAH THAT VERSE WAS NOT REFERING TO ABRAHAM. THAT VERSE ( ROMANS 4 VS 15 ) WAS REFERING TO THE GENTILES SINS BEFORE THEY GOT ADDED TO THE LAW AFTER CHRISTS DEATH. BASICALLY WHAT THAT VERSE MEANS IS THAT IF THERE IS NO LAWS AGAINST A PARTICULAR THING IN THE BIBLE, THEN IT IS NOT A SIN. THERE IS NO LAWS IN THE BIBLE THAT SAYS THOU SHALL NOT KILL THYSELF. YOU KNOW WHY ? BECAUSE ALL ISSUES OF DEATH BELONGS TO THE LORD ( PSALMS 68 VS 20 ). IF YOU KILL YOURSELF ? THATS JUDGEMENT FOR CRIMES YOU HAVE COMMITTED. THE LORD DID IT SO YOU WOULD PUNISH YOURSELF. ANY ISSUE OF DEATH, EVEN SUICIDE, IS FROM THE LORD. PSALMS 68 VS 20 AND PROVERBS 20 VS 24
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by coolotunba(m): 11:21pm On Oct 04, 2012
@omo Alata and Gaggi: You guys are right on the Bible passage. But I believed suicide is of the devil. It is only somebody afflicted of the devil that will think of suicide. But God has always provided a way out any affliction as Paul said. So if because of affliction one commits suicide because he couldn't endure. I think that amount to sin as well. Thats just my cent
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by CrazyMan(m): 6:52pm On Oct 05, 2012
obadiah777: HEY BRAH CRAZYMAN, HOW BODY ?
I'm cool...long time smiley

obadiah777: NAH THAT VERSE WAS NOT REFERING TO ABRAHAM. THAT VERSE ( ROMANS 4 VS 15 ) WAS REFERING TO THE GENTILES SINS BEFORE THEY GOT ADDED TO THE LAW AFTER CHRISTS DEATH. BASICALLY WHAT THAT VERSE MEANS IS THAT IF THERE IS NO LAWS AGAINST A PARTICULAR THING IN THE BIBLE, THEN IT IS NOT A SIN. THERE IS NO LAWS IN THE BIBLE THAT SAYS THOU SHALL NOT KILL THYSELF. YOU KNOW WHY ? BECAUSE ALL ISSUES OF DEATH BELONGS TO THE LORD ( PSALMS 68 VS 20 ). IF YOU KILL YOURSELF ? THATS JUDGEMENT FOR CRIMES YOU HAVE COMMITTED. THE LORD DID IT SO YOU WOULD PUNISH YOURSELF. ANY ISSUE OF DEATH, EVEN SUICIDE, IS FROM THE LORD. PSALMS 68 VS 20 AND PROVERBS 20 VS 24
Although the bible didn't specifically tell us its stand on suicide, it made us understand that those who were compelled to commit the act, were possessed by demonic spirits.

See my previous posts for valid proof.

So permit me to say that since christ came to give us life as in John 10:10, and the devil comes to kill, steal and destroy, then common wisdom should make you understand that suicide is of the devil and God is strictly against it.

1 Like

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 05, 2012
CrazyMan:
I'm cool...long time smiley

Although the bible didn't specifically tell us its stand on suicide, it made us understand that those who were compelled to commit the act, were possessed by demonic spirits.

See my previous posts for valid proof.

So permit me to say that since christ came to give us life as in John 10:10, and the devil comes to kill, steal and destroy, then common wisdom should make you understand that suicide is of the devil and God is strictly against it.
Brah, you cant add onto the words in the bible or you are in danger of committing a sin that will warrant serious butt whoopings from the lord REVELATION 22 VS 18 AND 19. if scriptures is silent about something, then it is not a sin ROMANS 4 VS 15. DO NOT ADD UNTO THE WORDS IN THE BIBLE. DO NOT COME WITH YOUR OWN INNUENDOS AND INSINUATIONS AND DEDUCTIONS. STUDY REVELATION 22 VERSE 18 AND 19 HARD. YOU ARE IN DANGER OF BREAKING A LAW.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by CrazyMan(m): 7:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
obadiah777: Brah, you cant add onto the words in the bible or you are in danger of committing a sin that will warrant serious butt whoopings from the lord REVELATION 22 VS 18 AND 19. if scriptures is silent about something, then it is not a sin ROMANS 4 VS 15. DO NOT ADD UNTO THE WORDS IN THE BIBLE. DO NOT COME WITH YOUR OWN INNUENDOS AND INSINUATIONS AND DEDUCTIONS. STUDY REVELATION 22 VERSE 18 AND 19 HARD. YOU ARE IN DANGER OF BREAKING A LAW.
I'm not adding anything to the bible.

I'm only pointing out an obvious fact for you to see.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
CrazyMan:
I'm not adding anything to the bible.

I'm only pointing out an obvious fact for you to see.
NOT OBVIOUS ENOUGH TO BE INCLUDED IN THE BIBLE. wink
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by DaWhiz: 9:24am On Nov 16, 2012
"Thou shall not kill"
Killing yourself is in fact murder. #goFigure
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Callotti: 9:47am On Nov 16, 2012
No!
In the right perspective, it could be an act of bravery or an act of cowardice! cool
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by UjSizzle(f): 9:51am On Nov 16, 2012
Why should you take life you didn't give- yours or others??

If you say it's your life and so you've got the right to take it; why does the law of the State view suicide as a crime? If they do how much more the God who gave you said life??
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by advocate666: 2:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
@ OP. There's only one way to find out. wink
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by newmi(m): 3:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
The question is not one of taking rather it is one giving why should take what you cannot give that actually is where the error is. God is the creator of all things ". . . All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made". (John 1:3) then we are made to understand that all things have been created by him and for him "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him."
(Colosians 1:16) now thats where the error many make lies you hear them say things like ". . . its my life. . . l chose to do what l want to do with MY LIFE. . . " no its not your life, you were given to manage that explains why we will be expected to give account for all we did in the body to who, the real owner "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." (2 Corinthians 5:10).

it sin simply because it a gratification of self it is an act of selfishness. God values life and that value for life for life is x-rayed and revealed in Exodus 20:13 "thou shall not kill"

THERE IS NO JUSTIFIED REASON FOR ONE TO TAKE HIS LIFE OR THE LIFE OF ANOTHER!!!
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 16, 2012
(Colosians 1:16) now thats where the error many make lies you hear them say things like ". . . its my life. . . l chose to do what l want to do with MY LIFE. . . " no its not your life, you were given to manage that explains why we will be expected to give account for all we did in the body to who, the real owner "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." (2 Corinthians 5:10).

If a man was 'given the life to manage' then it is only right that he is not put in a situation where he would want to commit suicide isn't it. If sickness or misfortune afflicts him and suicide is the only way out for him then i see it as also 'managing 'his life as per the circumstance that presented itself.
A man will manage his life properly if he is not put in certain extreme unfortunate situations. Not everybody is strong enough to handle extreme pressure. Meanwhile the Japs commit suicide as a sign of honour.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Callotti: 2:00am On Nov 17, 2012
Callotti: I don't think suicide is a sin.
Depending on the circumstances, it could be an act of bravery or cowardice.
Religious perspectives may vary.
Not my headache then. cool

Callotti: No!
In the right perspective, it could be an act of bravery or an act of cowardice! cool

Dang! Spooky. grin
I did not realize I had previously posted on this thread.

WOW!!!!

So impressed with myself. . . .as usual. cool
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by pastormustwacc: 2:55am On Nov 17, 2012
Thou shalt not take thy own life by thyself. Did Jesus or any of the apostles commit suicide? Look at the way they are killed even? Many forsaw their death and accepted it.

Revelation 12:11
And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony. And they did not love their lives so much that they were afraid to die.

"And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death

And they loved not their lives unto the death - They regarded not their present temporal estate, but even gladly delivered up their lives to the fury of their persecutors, and thus sealed the truth of what they spake with their blood.

Nowhere did it say christians should commit suicide no matter what. Even if you stoned to death like stephen sef, you should not be bothered.

I cant say of other religions though, but christian religion does not welcome suicide, as far as i know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Massage To Atheist,unbelievers And Persecutors Of Christians / Bamise Ayanwole:why Did God Let His Daughter Down? / How I Celebrate The Christmas Season.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.