Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Is Suicide A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Suicide A Sin? (2787 Views)

Is Suicide A Sin? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Suicide A Sin? by Ceekay(m): 12:03pm On Jan 30, 2006
Please is suicide a sin?? And if yes, i need 'COGENT' references from the bible 2 confirm that. Sometimes, Life becomes so unbearable that one needs 2 take (The quick way out) but I do not intend riskin' a lifetime in hell if it turns out 2 be. ur suggestions r highly welcome.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by layi(m): 1:22pm On Jan 30, 2006
Ceekay:

............but I do not intend riskin' a lifetime in hell if it turns out 2 be. your suggestions r highly welcome.

So u r the person in question shocked. Plz dont do it, oko iya mi. Watefa u need tell us..we will help you o. Abeg, nitori olodumare,dont kpai urself o. Life is sweet.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by IAH(f): 7:23pm On Jan 30, 2006
Lol,Layi. cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Free(f): 8:57pm On Jan 30, 2006
yea suicide is a sin, is murder becuz u killed urself, when it wasnt the
time for u to go, i cant tell u where exactly it says in the bible, but all i know
is a sin, u sound like u want to commit sucide like layi said dont do it plz in da name of god
if u are thinkin bout it stop, we can help u aigh, takin da easy way out aint da answer ma brotha...
u can talk to me , if u need someone to talk to...ok

take it easy...
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by queen2(f): 9:08pm On Jan 30, 2006
God has a great plan for your life. God has created us in His image Genesis 1:26-27. He created us for a purpose. God has a specific plan in mind for everyone.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future Jeremiah 29:11

NB: Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God&'s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

Hope thats enough, dont commit suicide o.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by layi(m): 9:11pm On Jan 30, 2006

takin da easy way out aint da answer ma brotha...

Its not a way out o my broda. Its actually a way OFF. U have ended be that ke? Ha no o.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by exu(m): 10:26pm On Jan 30, 2006
what's "a way off" layi
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by layi(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2006
exu:

what's "a way off" layi

That sign u see (that says "danger ahead"wink when u try to pass a shortcut. U are not gettin out of a problem. U are actually putting off ur life entirely. No problem is insurmountable.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by kismat: 5:13pm On Jan 31, 2006
ceekay wants you to quote the bible and not your personal opinions. Answer the questions...or is it that hard to find suicide in the bible?

Ceekay, you were once a muslim (when born) and believed in one God hence allow me to explain it from a religion which you will hopefully get to know and understand the why we were created.

Out of all the bounties Allah has bestowed upon human beings, the most precious is the gift of life. Each one us should remember that this life Allah has granted us, it is not our personal possession or our personal property. In-fact it is a trust from Allah, making us merely trustees. Because we are trustees we should utilise each and every moment of our lives in the paths that please Allah.

"And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)". (Surah Adh-Dhariyat Verse 56)

From this verse we can learn the reason why Allah created mankind.

In the Quraan Allah has mentioned the call for help of Prophet Ayyub (Jacob) (AS). Allah says:
"And (Remember) Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord: "Verily, distress has seized me, and you are the Most Merciful of all those who show mercy". So We answered his call, and removed the distress that was on him, and We restored his family to him (that he had lost) and the like thereof along with them as a mercy from Ourselves and a reminder for all those who worship Us. (Surah Al-Anbiya Verse 83-84)

Like Prophet Ayyub, each and every one of us is tested by Allah in someway or another. Some turn to Allah and seek help, as in the case of Prophet Ayyub and others turn completely to the opposite side, which leaves many in grief.

Within the Judaeo-Christian tradition, there are eleven instances of suicide described in the Bible's Old Testament and one in the New Testament. Perhaps the most famous death in the former is the suicide of King Saul following his defeat in the hands of the Philistines, heard in David’s lament, and ‘how are the mighty fallen’. Saul had sought the assistance of his bodyguard to help kill himself. The soldier was horrified at the irreligious notion of killing his appointed King, and turned the sword upon himself. Saul, apparently aided by such an example, then followed suit. It appears that the avert prohibition against suicide was first formerly pronounced by Saint Augustine, who in his City of God describes the action as a ‘moral sin’.
The Church did not always condemn suicide when, for example, following some severe assault, such as rape, the victim took a ‘virtuous’ or honourable way out. She could then claim sympathy and the forgiveness of her society and family, in both Roman and Christian times.

As shown, neither the Judaic nor Christian parts of the Bible are there direct injunctions against suicide. However, this is not the case in the traditions of the true religion, Islam, which continues to be a major influence upon many Islamic people.
There are a few quite specific sanctions expressed in the Quraan against self-killing. The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) also assigns suicide to the lower levels of Hell.
Allah says explicitly in the Quraan,
"And do not kill yourselves. Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you". (Surah An-Nisa Verse 29)
In another verse of the Quraan, Allah says:
"And do not throw yourselves in destruction". (Surah Al-Baqarah Verse 195)

In islam, "Whoever intentionally swears falsely by a religion other than Islam, then he is what he has said, (e.g. if he says, 'If such thing is not true then I am a Jew,' he is really a Jew if he is a liar). And whoever commits suicide with a piece of iron, he will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell-fire."

Also "A man was inflicted with wounds and he commited suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

What i've quoted are sayings of the last messenger of Allah, prophet Muhammed Saw.

Allah doesnt give you a load/test that he knows you cant bare. Be strong, and may Allah save us from this sin and give us all guidance to the straight path.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by layi(m): 5:40pm On Jan 31, 2006

ceekay wants you to quote the bible and not your personal opinions. Answer the questions...or is it that hard to find suicide in the bible?

If he so much believed in the bible, he need not come here. He'ld hav asked a pastor around him.
Anyway i understand ur own anger.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by kismat: 10:46am On Feb 01, 2006
@layi

maybe you should turn your attention to our needy brother/sister instead of trying to decipher my words and look for anger. Why not ask a pastor or priest and post their comments here? Isnt that (trying to save a life) more helpful and better than posting a sarcastic comment?
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by alheri(f): 11:19am On Feb 01, 2006
queen2:

God has a great plan for your life. God has created us in His image Genesis 1:26-27. He created us for a purpose. God has a specific plan in mind for everyone.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future Jeremiah 29:11

NB: Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God&'s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

Hope thats enough, don't commit suicide o.

Very good explanation queen2, ceekay I also hope that helps. Whatever the situation God cannot desrt his children. It says in Isaiah 43:2" when you pass though the waters, I will be with you: and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you work through the fires, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you". God is with you through it all and will not cause you to be tempted more than you can handle.

kismat:

Within the Judaeo-Christian tradition, there are eleven instances of suicide described in the Bible's Old Testament and one in the New Testament. Perhaps the most famous death in the former is the suicide of King Saul following his defeat in the hands of the Philistines, heard in David’s lament, and ‘how are the mighty fallen’. Saul had sought the assistance of his bodyguard to help kill himself. The soldier was horrified at the irreligious notion of killing his appointed King, and turned the sword upon himself. Saul, apparently aided by such an example, then followed suit. It appears that the avert prohibition against suicide was first formerly pronounced by Saint Augustine, who in his City of God describes the action as a ‘moral sin’.
The Church did not always condemn suicide when, for example, following some severe assault, such as rape, the victim took a ‘virtuous’ or honourable way out. She could then claim sympathy and the forgiveness of her society and family, in both Roman and Christian times.

As shown, neither the Judaic nor Christian parts of the Bible are there direct injunctions against suicide.

Whether directly or indirectly, whether the Bible does not specifically mention suicide and condenms it directly or not, there is still nowhere in the Bible where suicide is supported. From the verses quoted by queen2 from the Bible, suicide is not biblical.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Modda(f): 8:25pm On Feb 01, 2006
Is suicide a sin Lo.L
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:26pm On Feb 22, 2006
yes suicide is a very big sin
God gave u life dere4 he must take it away from u
u must not take away ur own life!!!!!
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by MOETTE: 1:19am On Mar 05, 2006
SO U MEAN IF I COMMITE SUICIDE THEN I WILL GO TO HELL, OR WILL GOD FORGIVE ME , THEIRS IS A POINT IN OUR LIFE AND WE JUST WANT TO END OUR LIFE, WHAT IF WE JUST DON'T WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE, WHY SHOULD IT BE A SIN ?

Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by choiceA: 3:36pm On Mar 05, 2006
Exo.20:13 - "Thou shalt not kill."

It is God's prerogative to give or take life. "Thou shalt not kill" includes taking your own life or anyone's. What you have from God - your body and your life - are given to you for proper stewardship. Everyone will be required to give an account on Judgement Day for how he or she has spent his or her life (II Cor.5:10). What you are considering is an attempt at tampering with something sacred which God alone has sovereign rights over.

Tough times sometimes make us think of the impossible. Like Layi, I'll save the preaching and ask, "How may we practically help you?" Seriously.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by APKevin(m): 5:04am On Mar 06, 2006
Just to clarify all the conflict that is going on right now. This is a life, not a debate team. Let’s keep matters of religious belief where religious beliefs are due. You don’t need to evangelize to this question; he asked for the bible we shall give him the bible.

First the bible says in the Ten Commandments that "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13 KNJV). Although you may say this is not murder your taking something that is not yours. The bible says that we were bought at a price (1 Corinthians 6:20), and we are that property of God. So by committing suicide we are not just murdering ourselves, but stealing from God. Also the bible says in 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God. God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." Notice the statement said that "if anyone defiles" meaning that you can commit that defilement yourself, showing that any negative alteration to what your body is a sin.

I also what you to know that God has a great calling for all of us. He has given us all gifts and abilities, not just to use for ourselves but for others. That’s why there are people who sing, dance, worship, in the edification of the church ( believers) that we may all grow strong as one body of Christ. So by anyone committing suicide the body of Christ is suffering. So know that there is a reason why struggles are in our lives, for through it the wisdom and knowledge will be gained to help others. Also to say this that the Lord does not give you anything you cannot bear. Although the situation is unknown to me, there is a way to continue to cope. Just believe God always delivers. 1 Corinthians 10:13 "God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape that you may be able to bear it."
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by 4Jesus4Eva: 11:51pm On Mar 07, 2006
Don't let life get the best of you. Get the best of life. Jesus said, ", Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." John 16:33b (NLT) Keep on fighting. We'll keep on prayin'! God Bless! XD
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by donnie(m): 4:02pm On Mar 10, 2006
Suicide? sin? Its not a sin , especially if  done in the name of God with a bomb tied around your abdomen, waist or head.

This in fact is a direct ticket to heaven grin
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by jbyame: 9:35pm On Mar 14, 2006
hey
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by babymine(f): 11:37am On Mar 15, 2006
Suicide is a sin. The life you're living is not yours, it's God and it aint in your power to take it. If you do, be ready to spend eternity in hell. N knowing you, I dnt think you'd want to do that. So my guy, think twice.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by xkape(m): 6:23pm On Mar 19, 2006
Contrary to popular opinion, sucide is a sin but u will not go to hell because u commit suicide just like one that just comes out of a LovePeddler house and gets hit by a car will not go to hell because of that only. there are other reasons why people will go to hell. i am not prepared to go into that right now

But please dont kill urself, life is good, it is the devil that makes people to believe there is no hope
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by TYPOP(m): 6:46pm On Mar 19, 2006
After all has been said, let's go to the bible.

Check out these passages
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Bible did not specify who so it includes every living soul.

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Jesus makes it more difficult. Don’t think of killing alone but don’t be angry. Now, don’t forget that you should

Mat 19:19 ……. and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
If you should love your neighbor up to the stage where you should not kill him, then you should not kill yourself.

Jam 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
Same as above. Just to show reiterate it.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:39am On Mar 30, 2006
MOETTE:

SO U MEAN IF I COMMITE SUICIDE THEN I WILL GO TO HELL, OR WILL GOD FORGIVE ME , THEIRS IS A POINT IN OUR LIFE AND WE JUST WANT TO END OUR LIFE, WHAT IF WE JUST DON'T WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE, WHY SHOULD IT BE A SIN ?

because God gave you life, therefore he must take it away from you, the same way you could never have given yourself life, thats the same way you must never take away your own life, when we are suffering of facing hardships, God knows it but he just wants to see how far we'll go and how much faith and trust we have in him, ending your life just proves to Him how little faith you have in Him wink
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by richolly(m): 12:46am On Mar 31, 2006
@Rhodalyn
i actually read this thread because i saw that you were the last poster.
never knew you could be this serious on nairaland.

nice one. have a great weekend
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:19pm On Apr 01, 2006
awwwwwww kiss kiss kiss, some flatterings cheesy cheesy cheesy cheers, have a great weekened toooooo kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Rhodalyn(f): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2006
come to think of it, on another level, U're sayin im neva serious on Nl angry angry cheesy cheesy cheesy wink no sweat grin grin wink
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by otokx(m): 12:49pm On Apr 10, 2006
yet it is
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by Osama10(m): 4:31am On Jun 14, 2010
Definitely yes.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by WhyAWhy(m): 7:14pm On Nov 18, 2010
[size=18pt]This was 4 years ago, CEEKAY: Are you still ALIVE[/size]
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by eyzhvntsn: 7:21pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^^ OH!!!! grin, Good question.
Re: Is Suicide A Sin? by WhyAWhy(m): 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2011
His profile says a last active status in August, thank goodness you didn't do it grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trolling A Reverend Father! Confession Time! / Prophet Ireti Ajanaku Is Alive / The Making Of The Collapsed Church Building In Uyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.