Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Studying In Finland (free Tuition) - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Studying In Finland (free Tuition) (957972 Views)

Study In Finland For Undergraduate (tuition Free) / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Study In Finland In September: Tuition Free! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 11:26am On Jul 14, 2014
jossi994: gimme the link. Gracias

Don't be Lazy
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 11:41am On Jul 15, 2014
Good morning house.

I have a unique situation/problem that I need your advice/input on. I have a Bsc in microbiology(3rd class) but I want to change into ICT for a PGD and then masters.

Please I would like to know schools that offer such. Pointers would be deeply appreciated. Hope I can get admission with my third class?

What are my chances of getting an admission and then visa into a uni in Finland?

Cc WhyNa, jeffoe, adebasket97, billydragon, dahonestboss, et al.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by WhyNa: 1:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
Frosti: Good morning house.

I have a unique situation/problem that I need your advice/input on. I have a Bsc in microbiology(3rd class) but I want to change into ICT for a PGD and then masters.

Please I would like to know schools that offer such. Pointers would be deeply appreciated. Hope I can get admission with my third class?

What are my chances of getting an admission and then visa into a uni in Finland?

Cc WhyNa, jeffoe, adebasket97, billydragon, dahonestboss, et al.

Hmmmmm.... angry angry angry angry Eleyi gidi gaun grin grin grin I say this one is tough cheesy cheesy. Lol. No mind me o. Really cant answer that question. I think the best thing would be to find the school that is of interest to you and mail them telling them about your situation. They would surely be in a better position to answer. Do this while you wait for the godfathers here to answer or throw more light on it wink
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
@frosti, as whyna said, make I quote her "o gidi gan oo'

Fisrtly, your grade is kinda low. Universities in finland are very very competitive.

Secondly, I don't think it will be possible to cross to other courses like that, as course of study plays an important role in selection of students. You can't cross from MCB to ICT (not 100percent sure)

As said by whyna you can contact your school of choice to get more info.

Now my advice is, why not start another degree programme in an ICT related field, then you can go for masters.

Finally, I cannot say you can't get admission with your grade, there's no harm in trying out but crossing from a life science course to an ICT course is practically impossible.

Just imagine " can you cross from your dept to computer science in your school? "
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
WhyNa:

Hmmmmm.... angry angry angry angry Eleyi gidi gaun grin grin grin I say this one is tough cheesy cheesy. Lol. No mind me o. Really cant answer that question. I think the best thing would be to find the school that is of interest to you and mail them telling them about your situation. They would surely be in a better position to answer. Do this while you wait for the godfathers here to answer or throw more light on it wink

'Bring the holy cane'

I guess I might have to start considering dropping my passion for ICT. Will start mailing the schools.

Thanks for your input.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 9:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
adebasket97: @frosti, as whyna said, make I quote her "o gidi gan oo'

Fisrtly, your grade is kinda low. Universities in finland are very very competitive.

Secondly, I don't think it will be possible to cross to other courses like that, as course of study plays an important role in selection of students. You can't cross from MCB to ICT (not 100percent sure)

As said by whyna you can contact your school of choice to get more info.

Now my advice is, why not start another degree programme in an ICT related field, then you can go for masters.

Finally, I cannot say you can't get admission with your grade, there's no harm in trying out but crossing from a life science course to an ICT course is practically impossible.

Just imagine " can you cross from your dept to computer science in your school? "

Its one of those outcomes that can torment one throughout his/her natural life. If one could turn back the hands of time, I won't even have entered into MCB. But alas...

Starting a new fresh degree is not a very viable option, age-wise and financially. If I decide to take the second degree option route, what and what do I require? How many years are Finnish programs? Is the free tuition period over?

No too vex for my too many questions o, one gasts to ask in order to learn.

Thanks.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by WhyNa: 12:36am On Jul 16, 2014
Frosti:

'Bring the holy cane'

I guess I might have to start considering dropping my passion for ICT. Will start mailing the schools.

Thanks for your input.

If it really is a passion, you wudnt be so quick to drop it bro. A friend of mine wrotee jamb 7x not becos he failed, but because he wanted to study med surg but dey kept giving him other things.

What I'm trying to say in essence is that if its your passion, go for it no matter what it takes. Then learning wud be fun and not just another degree earning pursuit.

The tuition free stuff is still on...and bros no talk too much before dem comot am o grin
Undergraduate courses over there are 3 years I tink and if you can, den do it. You have two advantages, you have a chance to earn another degree with higher grades, and its easier to apply for a masters once you'r done. So in the whole, you shud be looking at 4 years. 5 tops to earn both a BSc and an MSc.

I sha hope say I correct cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 12:46am On Jul 16, 2014
you can submit the paper copy of your ielts result with other documents you will send in december. i did mine that way and they accepted it.

WhyNa:

@Jeffoe e don tey wey U show face here o. Nyways what do U tink about IELTS and submitting exam results early
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 12:53am On Jul 16, 2014
congrat. first step done. if u going for ur masters, start thinking of your motivational letter. i applied to 3 schs. i was admitted to one. the admission is getting harder by the day...

adebasket97: Make I no quote long texts...
@jeff the exam was cool o....got 7.0 overall.
I don't think they repeat questions.
I read the book for two weeks and I practice the writing part using online helps.

I did the exam early cos I thought I won't be able to make it o...lol....na money money dy my brain...lolz.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 5:12am On Jul 16, 2014
WhyNa:

If it really is a passion, you wudnt be so quick to drop it bro. A friend of mine wrotee jamb 7x not becos he failed, but because he wanted to study med surg but dey kept giving him other things.

What I'm trying to say in essence is that if its your passion, go for it no matter what it takes. Then learning wud be fun and not just another degree earning pursuit.

The tuition free stuff is still on...and bros no talk too much before dem comot am o grin
Undergraduate courses over there are 3 years I tink and if you can, den do it. You have two advantages, you have a chance to earn another degree with higher grades, and its easier to apply for a masters once you'r done. So in the whole, you shud be looking at 4 years. 5 tops to earn both a BSc and an MSc.

I sha hope say I correct cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank you so much for this enlightening piece.

Yes, I have a strong passion for ICT. There is some kind of affinity between the two of us and I feel at home whenever am tackling/solving any computer-related issue/problem. Should have followed my passion back in the days but my parents wanted something else and their will then was stronger than mine. What doesn't kill a man only makes him stronger.

If I decide to go this route, hope age won't be a barrier ( am 25)? Hope the embassy won't be wondering what's up? Hope my WAEC of 2015 is still relevant and I can apply with it (What of NECO)?

Twale!
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 6:12am On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: congrat. first step done. if u going for ur masters, start thinking of your motivational letter. i applied to 3 schs. i was admitted to one. the admission is getting harder by the day...

Already done bro. Vetted by a boss here.
Thanks man.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 6:22am On Jul 16, 2014
Frosti:

Thank you so much for this enlightening piece.

Yes, I have a strong passion for ICT. There is some kind of affinity between the two of us and I feel at home whenever am tackling/solving any computer-related issue/problem. Should have followed my passion back in the days but my parents wanted something else and their will then was stronger than mine. What doesn't kill a man only makes him stronger.

If I decide to go this route, hope age won't be a barrier ( am 25)? Hope the embassy won't be wondering what's up? Hope my WAEC of 2015 is still relevant and I can apply with it (What of NECO)?

Twale!

Oboy, make I no talk much. Seems we are exactly the same. My parents wanted me to study medicine too but I wanted to go for geophysics. At last na Biology I studied, my parents were thinking I would still be able to cross to medicine if I studied a pure science course. So my admission was arranged and I was transfered to Biology, reason been that I scored 72 in "post jamb" that time and cut off for geophysics was 80. Waiting another year at home will be the last thing, so I had to go for it. I didn't like it at first but later I adjusted. Though I had this passion for ICT too. Infact I do go for CSC classes when I was in school. Was able to learn a lot of programming languages thru that. From basic html to some java stuffs and database. Currently am learning the engineering part from a friend. But that's just a passion. Didn't really like to study CSC....lol

maybe its because you were completely uninterested in MCB, that was why you had a lower grade. I too did the same, my first year result was not that okay but when some "Girls" started "to bugga" in my class, I had to show them that I got some nerves too.......lol.....Am still thanking them till today sha, cos if they had not look down on me that time. Maybe I go still dy school dy do C.O. courses.

So bro, be strong, follow your heart and pray.

And ehehehehh, you're still a young man.
You're not too old to go for undergraduate courses. If the embassy asks such questions..there are millions of answers to it.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 6:36am On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: you can submit the paper copy of your ielts result with other documents you will send in december. i did mine that way and they accepted it.

Did you photocopied it and included it in each of the course docs you applied for?

Ielts usually send one original copy.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 7:22am On Jul 16, 2014
adebasket97:

Oboy, make I no talk much. Seems we are exactly the same. My parents wanted me to study medicine too but I wanted to go for geophysics. At last na Biology I studied, my parents were thinking I would still be able to cross to medicine if I studied a pure science course. So my admission was arranged and I was transfered to Biology, reason been that I scored 72 in "post jamb" that time and cut off for geophysics was 80. Waiting another year at home will be the last thing, so I had to go for it. I didn't like it at first but later I adjusted. Though I had this passion for ICT too. Infact I do go for CSC classes when I was in school. Was able to learn a lot of programming languages thru that. From basic html to some java stuffs and database. Currently am learning the engineering part from a friend. But that's just a passion. Didn't really like to study CSC....lol

maybe its because you were completely uninterested in MCB, that was why you had a lower grade. I too did the same, my first year result was not that okay but when some "Girls" started "to bugga" in my class, I had to show them that I got some nerves too.......lol.....Am still thanking them till today sha, cos if they had not look down on me that time. Maybe I go still dy school dy do C.O. courses.

So bro, be strong, follow your heart and pray.

And ehehehehh, you're still a young man.
You're not too old to go for undergraduate courses. If the embassy asks such questions..there are millions of answers to it.

I feel like I just found a long-lost brother o. Chai! grin The only difference is that you recognized what's up and buckled up on time. Back then in school, most of my friends were CS students and I learnt a lot. And I also made some change with my knowledge. I once did a final year student's project for 40k using VB.net back then. And she got her A. grin

But I bleeped up sha. If only I had channeled just 50% of that energy, zeal and time into MCB, the story would have been different. But as they say, everything happens for a reason.

I don't know why parents are so found of pushing their children into taking so-called 'professional courses' like med surgery and law. I believe it has something to do with ego ( being called 'mama doctor' and 'mama lawyer'). Or something like that.

I know am still young, but this means I would have to drastically adjust my life goals including the one I told myself I will like to get married and have 2 kids by age of 30. Lol

I hope the embassy doesn't get to ask to ask funny questions, but I guess you guys will always be there to guide me.

When can I begin applying? Which documents do I need? Waec or Neco or both? Do you know good schools in Finland with awesome ICT coverage? Will also ask my good friend, Google. Do I need to write IELTS?

Thank you.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 7:24am On Jul 16, 2014
yes. i did. UAF only need a copy of your english test for all your applications. once they verify it, it will be in your profile

adebasket97:

Did you photocopied it and included it in each of the course docs you applied for?

Ielts usually send one original copy.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 7:45am On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: yes. i did. UAF only need a copy of your english test for all your applications. once they verify it, it will be in your profile

Okay bro. Still waiting for them to send the paper result.
Boss are you now in finland or about going? Which uni were you admitted to.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 7:49am On Jul 16, 2014
Frosti:

When can I begin applying? Which documents do I need? Waec or Neco or both? Do you know good schools in Finland with awesome ICT coverage? Will also ask my good friend, Google. Do I need to write IELTS?

Thank you.

Check studyinfinland.fi
WAEC preferrably
Do some lil research on the schools, not sure. will do and give feeback.
And Yes Ielts is mandatory
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
im going soon by God's grace. Univ of Oulu

adebasket97:

Okay bro. Still waiting for them to send the paper result.
Boss are you now in finland or about going? Which uni were you admitted to.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 1:01pm On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: im going soon by God's grace. Univ of Oulu

Okay man..try to post your experience at the embassy, we can also learn from that.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
Hmm interview at the embassy was cool. It's a written interview. I was given a form to fill majorly about the funds in my account. And did my finger print. Make sure u make photocopies of all ur documents. Didn't make d one for my sponsors bank statement and mine. Took me a while to get a place to get it done at asokoro

adebasket97:

Okay man..try to post your experience at the embassy, we can also learn from that.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by adebasket97: 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: Hmm interview at the embassy was cool. It's a written interview. I was given a form to fill majorly about the funds in my account. And did my finger print. Make sure u make photocopies of all ur documents. Didn't make d one for my sponsors bank statement and mine. Took me a while to get a place to get it done at asokoro

Yup bro. This is the main reason I asked about the embassy stuff. Is it compulsory to provide a sponsors SOA. If I have the cash in my account and no sponsor, any drawback?
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
@sirkezman, good one, good to kno you got in, mine is Aalto sha - ll love 2 hook up with ya. Make we dey wait 4 migri, hopefully we'll av good news.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
adebasket97:

Yup bro. This is the main reason I asked about the embassy stuff. Is it compulsory to provide a sponsors SOA. If I have the cash in my account and no sponsor, any drawback?
Broda, you 100 percent need 2 include ur sponsor's SOA and also any document showing his financial resources - In short, any document that ll proof 2 dem dat u've got enough funds 4 ur studies. So prepare ur mind nw n ur sponsor shld also av a good ammount in his acct too, make e look say na all hin life savings he dey use take sponsor u. Lolz
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
Over all d interview was cool, notin biggy abt it. If you don't av no sponsor, den u must av a very good proof of ur source of funds, unless u're working/into business, den I think u're good 2 go but I believe everytin ll becom clearer 2 u as time goes on sha.
Best regards
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Frosti(m): 9:16pm On Jul 16, 2014
I just checked universities in Finland one by one through www.studyinfinland.fi/where_to_study/universities and I couldn't even find a single uni offering bachelors degree programmes in English. All of the course schedules are in Finnish and Swedish. Only masters and phd are available in English.

What to do?

Cc @Whyna, adebasket97, Bunmiemich, sirkezman
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 10:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
yes o. when did you visit the embassy? did you do online or paper application?

Bunmiemich: @sirkezman, good one, good to kno you got in, mine is Aalto sha - ll love 2 hook up with ya. Make we dey wait 4 migri, hopefully we'll av good news.
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 10:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
well if have the funds and a good source of income. then there is no need for sponsor.. just have a good source of income and necessary documents

adebasket97:

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
sirkezman: yes o. when did you visit the embassy? did you do online or paper application?

Did my interview on d 3rd and I submitted my application online (I bin dey avoid d extra 6K ni o)
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
Frosti: I just checked universities in Finland one by one through www.studyinfinland.fi/where_to_study/universities and I couldn't even find a single uni offering bachelors degree programmes in English. All of the course schedules are in Finnish and Swedish. Only masters and phd are available in English.

What to do?

Cc @Whyna, adebasket97, Bunmiemich, sirkezman
I think d tuition language is dependent on ur course of study, most re in Finnish while sm re in English, I've seen a sch wch has only 2courses taught in english, d rest re in Finnish, so I think you shld take ur time n look well, u'll find ur chosen course being taught in english smwia.
All d best
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by sirkezman: 11:04pm On Jul 16, 2014
3rd of July? wow. whats ur status showing now? did mine on the 26th of june.
can i have ur number? lets talk
Bunmiemich:
Did my interview on d 3rd and I submitted my application online (I bin dey avoid d extra 6K ni o)
Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by Inufele1: 5:30am On Jul 17, 2014
@ Birkezman and Bunmiemich please do all your talking on this page so we all can learn from your successes and achievements

1 Like

Re: Studying In Finland (free Tuition) by IllCheez: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2014
Salutations to all the generals in the house. @Bunmiemich and @sirkezman, congratulations in advance as you shall receive good news soon. Congratulation @chief-adebasket on your language test; just the start of testimonies yet to come and @whyna formerly Madam Petra, yours shall go smoothly too and we are waiting for your testimony. Congratulations to everyone in advance waiting to apply for the next admission round.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (371) (Reply)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.