Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,755 members, 7,955,870 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:33 PM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30703 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by deluckiest(m): 4:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by awesomet1(m): 4:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
Are they not Nigerians as well
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by AfroBlue(m): 4:52pm On Oct 05, 2012
[b]No begging in my neck of the woods. Many 9ja peeps are doing great things in yankee and still connected and committed to the progress of the fatherland.

Miami Gardens appoints Nigerian-American FMU professor to council

Miami Gardens’ newest council member said lessons learned from his childhood in Nigeria will help shape his leadership style

By Nadege Green

Miami Gardens Councilman Erhabor Ighodaro

ngreen@miamiherald.com

A Nigerian-American college professor is the newest face on Miami Gardens’ city council.

Erhabor Ighodaro was appointed to the council to fill the vacant seat left open when Oliver Gilbert won the mayoral race in August

Ighodaro jokes that many resident may not be able to pronounce his name at first try.

It’s pronounced “Eh-ruh-boar E-ho-dah-row’

“I know its difficult, but it’s my name,” he said.

The 39-year old teaches criminal justice at his alma mater Florida Memorial University in Miami Gardens. He lives in the city with his wife and 6-year-old twin daughters.

Ighodaro said he plans to approach his city position just as he’s approached much in his life “with a conflict resolution mindset,” he said.

As the eighth oldest sibling out of a crowded household of 18 children, Ighodaro said conflict resolution was a must to navigate the intricacies of family life. He and his brothers and sisters were born and raised Benin, Nigeria, a province nearly two hours away from the country’s former capital Lagos.

His father, a chief of the Edo tribe, had three wives, a common cultural tradition in Africa.

“Some people wonder why I have the tolerance I have, it comes from my environment. You cannot live with 20 people in your house and not be patient and considerate of other people’s needs,” he said.

The newly minted councilman said he was raised to value education..

As a young boy, he walked to school every day with a hand-carved wooden chair and small table on top of his head. The school he attended had no furniture; the kids who could not afford their own furniture had to do without.

“That was a luxury because the schools didn’t have those facilities,” he said.

Ighodaro, who stand at 6 feet, 3 inches, left Nigeria at 19 to play basketball for Florida Memorial University and pursue a college degree. He later earned a master’s and doctoral degree from St. Thomas University and Nova Southeastern University.

Currently, he is the executive director of the Dr. Robert B. Ingram Foundation, an education-based nonprofit, named after the late school board member.

The Ingram Foundation travels every year with a group of students from Carol City High to parts of Africa
.[/b]

On a broader lever, Ighodaro said, “It’s part of a global education. Our students have to be able to compete in the world market.”

But on a more personal level, Ighodaro said he wants students of African descent to have a connection to a land they learn mostly about in history books.

“In my own way, I believe I can bring together people whose history has been disconnected to make that history whole,” he said.

Ighodaro ran for Council Seat 3 in the August elections, but was unsuccessful. The race will head to a runoff between Ulysses Harvard and Rodney Harris in the Nov. 6 election.

Ighodaro said he is honored he was chosen to fill Gilbert’s former seat. The opportunity presents him with the chance to fulfill some of the issues he addressed on the campaign trail.

“Even though the city has grown tremendously, the Achilles’ heel is that our reputation is not one that speaks well as it relates to public safety,” he said. “I think I can help bring some additional programs that will improve safety with our residents.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/04/3034688/miami-gardens-appoints-nigerian.html#storylink=cpy[/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

You made great points, but wouldn't Nigeria be regarded as a first world nation if all these things were in place? That is generally what the country is aiming at....increasing the middle class, providing the basic amenities like power, education, healthcare, better roads, and putting the youths to work but all these cant be achieved in 5 years, Nigeria is growing at a pace and will eventually get there.

Indeed. I fervently believe in the pursuit of Nigeria's development but there is no scope to address that here within the remit of the thread topic i.e "Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter?". It is my opinion that most Nigerians in the diaspora are not bitter. Some are but most are just very critical of the state of affairs in their homeland.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bokohalal(m): 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
tpia@:
its the frustration of living abroad.

many nigerians arent familiar with the concept of being judged by your skin colour, ethnicity, or country of origin, until they travel overseas and mingle with other races.

the status quo over there nows turns into transferred aggression and hatred of nigeria/ns.

they also see it as a chance to settle old scores and grudges which, had they not left nigeria, wouldnt have been a priority.

Typical of some Nigerians. Like Tpia.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by drzed: 4:55pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.

You might not know the value of building hope in people but I know what it is to inspire hope. If we are to go by the NL contributions of many diaspora Nigerians, we will all give up.

eGuerrilla:
I dare you to substantiate the following statements with facts (Note: in Romneyesque speak, you are not entitled to your own facts)

(1)Most Nigerians in the Diaspora are bad
(2)Less than one tenth of those in the UK contribute meaningfully to Nigeria
(3)Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora
(4)Nigerians based abroad are more of a nuisance on NL than those at home.

Thank you e-Guerilla. I was going to make a similar comment on the OP's allusion based on his illusions. The original post (though not too bad in content but wrongly titled) is not that of an issue. But in the follow-up (as quoted above) the OP has made some lazy, childish, ignorant and in fact very bitter accusations and false claims. Lets break it down:

(1). To say most Nigerians in Diaspora are bad borders on ignorance and hate. In fact, it is insulting. That is like oyibo people thinking all of us Nigerians are 419ers. How many out of 150 million Nigerians have these oyibo people met in Nigeria? By extension, dear OP, tell us the percentage of diasporans you have met and truly found them to be bad....! If you have ever lived abroad and all your friends and associates were criminals, well that is only a statistical assessment of YOUR friends/associates and not a factual summary of all Nigerians abroad.

If you mingled and mix with Nigerian criminals who collect money in the name of NGOs only to spend them on expensive cars, please, tell us how that is a true reflection of all Nigerians in the UK. Are you for real?

(2)To claim that less than one tenth of those in the UK contribute meaningfully to Nigeria is also a wild and dumb claim. Where did you get this statistic from? Do you work for the International Office of Naija Gbese and Remittances (IONGR) or are you a multi-licensed remittance agent/accounting consultant affiliated with Moneygram, Western Union, et al.?

Are you seriously telling us that less than 10% of Nigerians in the UK send money back home? Mtchewww!

(3)Your unscientific and sweeping statement that most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora is nothing but bullshyte and cow-dung of the highest order. You are clearly clueless about NGOs in Nigeria, who started them, owns them or operates them. Go to Corporate affairs and bring your evidence.

(4)Your accusation that Nigerians based abroad are more of a nuisance on NL than those at home also borders on the the nonsensical. How do you define nuisance and where or how did you get the statistical fact that it is diasporans who post idyotic comments on price of garri in the middle of serious discussions? Did Seun give you a breakdown of IP addresses per thread - and you sat down in front of Excel or SPSS through which you carried out a correlation between idyotic comments and the location of posters on this Forum? Can you see yourself now?

You (the OP )seems to me to be a bitter, annoyed and probably frustrated person who may or may not have lived and/or may or may not have been deported/frustrated from abroad. I care less. Regardless, stop trying to infect the mind of Nairalanders with your annoyance or frustration.

Stop composing falsehood and fake statistics on your laptop and pedalling it as truth or fact.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 4:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
nagoma:
Typical good for nothing parasite. A hitch-hiker who doesnt seem to realize that all those good things in the orderly environment are other peoples hard work. The didnt just happen.How about you coming down to do some work once in your life even if is killing a few mosquitoes.You could be counted in the list of the developers of Nigeria in 1000 years, but for now you are a whiteman's nigga and a pest.

It takes one deluded parasite to recognize another. Unlike you who had remained a panhandler since the rays of sun hit your ugly face, I had never taken any cent from Nigeria. It would amount to waste of time trying to teach numbskull such as you ways of orderly behavior. It is no folly you still regard a person as “whiteman”. No wonder Nigeria is bubbling with ninnies. I had European-Americans under my supervision, olodo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by PBundles(m): 4:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
I dont think Nigerians abroad IN GENERAL are bitter or anything like that. I say in general because you will have that odd extreme view. I think its because those that live abr0aod become accustomed to societies that in large part function and as such see the dysfunction of certain aspects with such glaring obscurity that it may seem like bitterness. Funny actually as I was discussing something like this with my dad just last week. He just turned 70 and is based in Nigeria. He studied in the states in the 70/80s and since mid 80 resides permanently in Nigeria. He visits us ( my brothers and I) at least once every 1-2 years making his rounds. During our discussion I was complaining about a meeting I had here, he laughed and said that if I lived in Nigeria I wouldnt be angry but I would accept it as its the way of life in Nigeria. In short Nigerians see the short comings but complaining doesnt help, so they live with it. Here you are more or less expected to voice your concern STRONGLY if something is not as it should. Some exmaples:

Here I expect the police to carry out their job, without me having to bribe or persuade. If not I can complain, but 9ja do you think i will go a lodge a complaint about a policeman not doing his job, for where.

I can apply for a job and expect that teh best canidate will be choosen, not that I need to grease any palms

If Im driving my car and it gets damaged because of poor roads, I can request compensation. Where can I do that in 9ja.

If power goes out and destroys my appliances, I get get compensated (this has actually happened to a close friend of mine and he was fully compensated)

Im sure you will have those odds turn of events, but I think you get the picture. Its not hate or bitterness.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2012
You mean they contribute nothing?

But monetary remittance from them annually is in excess of $10b

How can people who contribute $10bn a yr be classed as not contributing anything?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by r231(m): 5:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
here we go again undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Nigerians abroad send at least $10 billion in remittances to their loved ones at home. This amount makes Nigeria the 6th highest destination for remittances according to the World Bank. That also makes Nigeria the top remittance destination on the African continent.

WHY ARE REMITTANCES IMPORTANT?
Many immigrants abroad send a portion of their earnings to family members in their home country. In some cases, these remittances are the only income that those families have to live on. In a country like Nigeria with anywhere between 8 to 15 million Nigerians living abroad, remittances are a way to provide financial assistance. This is crucial on a personal level because of Nigeria's high unemployment rate. And, it is reported that the money sent to Nigeria through unconventional means is actually 4 times the amount reported

http://www.nigeriancuriosity.com/2009/11/nigerias-10-bn-in-remittances.html

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by drzed: 5:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
dayokanu: You mean they contribute nothing?

But monetary remittance from them annually is in excess of $10b

How can people who contribute $10bn a yr be classed as not contributing anything?

You dey mind am?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tboy1(m): 5:07pm On Oct 05, 2012
r231: here we go again undecided undecided
+1
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 5:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godogwu:

And the roads where death traps and all the other rubbish you were saying?.......I'm sure if all the roads are death traps like you were say, Nigeria will have a way lesser population by now.

If they were death traps, I guess humans are intelligent enough to avoid their clamps. Last month, I wanted to send my sister-in-law on errand from Owerri to my village, she told me that one federal road that passes through my village was temporally decommissioned due to flood water. Believe me, it did not take long before a contributor to this forum confirmed the sorry tale of the certain roads in and around Owerri with posts accompanied by pictures.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arsenate(m): 5:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
adconline: Here is something to consider. It takes 6hrs for most flights from Naija to EU, so if GEJ gets heart attack, he's going to die before he gets to EU, but a Naija in EU gets that world class medical attention immediately.
You live in Naija with all ur money, your life span is less than 50 years, you live in EU/US your life span is above 70yrs.
wtf? My parents, their siblings are all above 50. U just cook up all these lies to justify your bitterness.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 5:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Ighodaro jokes that many resident may not be able to pronounce his name at first try.

It’s pronounced “Eh-ruh-boar E-ho-dah-row’

“I know its difficult, but it’s my name,” he said.

part of what adds to the stress and frustration.

you are forced to spell and pronounce your name multiple times in the course of one day, unlike in nigeria where people get it at one go.
eg to spell abacha: a as in apple, b as in burukutu, a as in akara, c as in command, h as in ow are you, a as in africa.

etc etc. You spend ten minutes for what in nigeria, would only take you two seconds.

As the eighth oldest sibling out of a crowded household of 18 children, Ighodaro said conflict resolution was a must to navigate the intricacies of family life. He and his brothers and sisters were born and raised Benin, Nigeria, a province nearly two hours away from the country’s former capital Lagos.

His father, a chief of the Edo tribe, had three wives, a common cultural tradition in Africa.

more culture shock.

many nigerians come from a background of polygamy and find the monogamy overseas, very strange.

this can also be frustrating, and in addition, they resent women having "too much power".
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OmoTier1(m): 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
When a man is used to mediocrity, and averages, excellence is alien to His culture! The OP belongs to that class.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arsenate(m): 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
I agree with this:
THE POINT HERE IS
NIGERIANS ABROAD ARE NOT MAD AT
LAWLESSNESS BECAUSE THEY
THEMSELVES ARE LAWLESS, THEY ARE
JUST MAD THAT THEY ARE NOT THE
ONES IN THE POSITION OF AUTHORITY IN
NIGERIA SO THAT THEY CAN STEAL
BILLIONS TOO. THERIN LIES THE
BITTERNESS AND YALL KNOW I AM
SPEAKING THE TRUTH

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by lagcity(m): 5:13pm On Oct 05, 2012
Jenams: typical example of who this thread is all about. Keep cryin over mosquito & snake bite while Ūя̅ mates back home rake in millions into their accounts.

yeah. what's the point of making millions if the next ogogoro-inspired police sargeant can "accidentally" discharge some lead into your skull for no reason? idiots value money over peace and human rights

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by PBundles(m): 5:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
SPOT ON!

dayokanu: Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Nigerians abroad send at least $10 billion in remittances to their loved ones at home. This amount makes Nigeria the 6th highest destination for remittances according to the World Bank. That also makes Nigeria the top remittance destination on the African continent.

Many immigrants abroad send a portion of their earnings to family members in their home country. In some cases, these remittances are the only income that those families have to live on. In a country like Nigeria with anywhere between 8 to 15 million Nigerians living abroad, remittances are a way to provide financial assistance. This is crucial on a personal level because of Nigeria's high unemployment rate. And, it is reported that the money sent to Nigeria through unconventional means is actually 4 times the amount reported

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by smtx(m): 5:16pm On Oct 05, 2012
Why Are Nigerians (ANYWHERE) So Bitter?... cry
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 5:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
deshclones: Sagamite is a perfect definition of frustrated nigerian eking out a living on the lonely deserted streets of aberdeen...dude is slowly loosing his lil sense of sanity.

Huh! I don laugh nearly faint! @deshclones, you too much. No wonder the guy has turned atheist!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 5:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!

you're a consummate rëtard......
if anything, you are the one bitter or envious of the nigerians in diaspora - you ranted for several minutes without advancing your point one jot! without the nigerians in diaspora, i am certain you would be in one of the huge dumpsites scavenging for food or metal scraps to sell!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Gbawe: 5:25pm On Oct 05, 2012
eGuerrilla:

I suppose we simply have differing views on the import of @OP's post.

I actually did not read that post from OP you quoted. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I.e :

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.

I responded to his first post. The one above is just a collation of hideous misconceptions. To say Nigerians in the diaspora contribute "nothing" is just the sort of fallacy not worth entertaining.

Also, why, for example, would any fair person place the burden of NGO set-up and developmental efficacy entirely the feet of diasporans who are thousands of miles away while many stupendously rich folks swagger around Nigeria idly without a single charitable bone in them? Reject local responsibility only to begin hounding patriotic Nigerians, living thousands of miles away, mainly motivated by the notion of "doing their bit" ?

My brother, I travel fairly regularly throughout West Africa. It is disgraceful how the elites are unmoved by the plight of the poor immediately in their vicinity to the extent it is the American, from thousands of miles away, supervising a bore-hole project in a rural African Village while the local billionaire is more consumed with the lavish Party he will throw at the weekend to celebrate his new customized and 'one of a kind' Hummer delivered from the USA.

To be honest, we can all gain knowledge if we seek it. Many diasporans are a huge asset to Nigeria and the point is not one to belabor. I think folks would do well to refrain from coming to conclusions about diasporan Nigerians from the utterances of some diasporans on Nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Bossman(m): 5:28pm On Oct 05, 2012
Complete nonsense! We are all fighting and looking for a better Nigeria. Everyone is bitter, not only those abroad. To say that those abroad have contributed nothing to the Nigerian economy definitely indicates there is of misinformation. The Nigerian "work ethic" leaves something to be desired. As a software engineer, and with a number of friends that have come home to establish companies that provide employment for quite a number of folks, I know what I am talking about!The stupid leaders we have do not give shit about the non-existing middle-class, and the 85% or more that are living in deplorable conditions! Those of us abroad think about these things every single day, however we also see/hear/experience things that just make one think, how in the world!

Seriously, this sounds like someone is bitter because some Nigerians are abroad, period!

We all look for a better Nigeria, but it just seems like a very difficult thing to achieve, period!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ideylaff: 5:28pm On Oct 05, 2012

They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

@OP.. how can you say all these without having any facts... ?

Is it the small change deals you are doing in Nija that is building the nation or the corner corner most of the leaders are cutting that builds the nation?

Who says everyone living abroad is living in squalor?

Have a read on this... 2011 Western Union figures... "Remittance Flows From Abroad To Nigeria Over $10B This Year, Says World Bank - Empowered Newswire"

This is just Western Union ... no other figures added and you come on here to slag people who are out of the country

Pathetic and baseless...
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 5:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
drzed:

You (the OP )seems to me to be a bitter, annoyed and probably frustrated person who may or may not have lived and/or may or may not have been deported/frustrated from abroad. I care less. Regardless, stop trying to infect the mind of Nairalanders with your annoyance or frustration.

Stop composing falsehood and fake statistics on your laptop and pedalling it as truth or fact.

Bitterness to the 10th power!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Novice1(m): 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.

You, sir, have summed it up. One cant escape being angry if you live in a civilised society and look back at our country and waht it has turned to.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2012
Gbawe:
To be honest, we can all gain knowledge if we seek it. Many diasporans are a huge asset to Nigeria and the point is not one to belabor. I think folks would do well to refrain from coming to conclusions about diasporan Nigerians from the utterances of some diasporan Nigerians on this forum.

the op is an ignoramus!
without the $9 billion per annum injected into the economy in remittance by the nigerians in diaspora the nigerian economy would have collapsed completely! it marvels me when some unscrupulous bats claim nigerians abroad are bitter or envious of them! what's there to envy? epileptic power supply or the general breakdown of law and order?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by occam(m): 5:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
dayokanu: Tuesday, November 10, 2009

True talk. Money used to help with education or health bills. And in some cases to help fund "owabes". (Cousins calling to INFORM you about their engagement, traditional and white wedding as if you are the father of the bride).

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by drzed: 5:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar:

the op is an ignoramus!
without the $9 billion per annum injected into the economy in remittance by the nigerians in diaspora the nigerian economy would have collapsed completely! it marvels me when some unscrupulous bats claim nigerians abroad are bitter or envious of them! what's there to envy? epileptic power supply or the general breakdown of law and order?

I couldnt have said it better.

@OP: You, (like some others) are just looking for ways to vent their frustration and Nigerians abroad have become their target. I dont know how in this day and age, with google and wikipedia, some ignoramus will wake up and say not up to 10% of Nigerians in the UK or wherever send money back home.

Just because your elder brother or uncle in Italy or Spain refused to sponsor you during your school days does not give you the right or reason to come to Nairaland and spew rubbish against people in diaspora. It is YOU who is bitter and helpless. How much have you remitted to Nigerians abroad since you became an adult (if at all you are)? Speak about the hopeless, clueless and useless local and national leaders; the corrupt police and sadistic lecturers. Talk about the wanton materialism and the overwhelming avarice in Nigeria. Worry about your cybercafe criminals, armed robbers, cultist and ritualistic - and stop pointing a finger at people abroad.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 5:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
so, is it the N100 being sent to their girlfriends by some posters on this thread, to make a part payment on brazilian hair and blackberry phone, that adds up to $9 million or $9 billion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Dele Momodu Pays Condolence To Osinbajo ( Photos ) / Godwin Obaseki Has No Original Certificates - Edo APC / Recently Completed Aguleri Bridge, Anambra (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.