Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

I am feeling real gay right now... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I am feeling real gay right now... (6312 Views)

Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? / 7 Types Of Facebook Friends You Need To Delete Right Now / When Did You Start Feeling 'grown'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 06, 2012
I am so gay right now...
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 07, 2012
Bump...
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 8:51pm On Oct 07, 2012
No. 1: Mami Wata (Owu Mmiri in Igbo), water serpent, female cult figure, beauty figure.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-S3N9b4lIwxM/TjGgbiKzSyI/AAAAAAAAAe4/QQo4KaxaQvE/s700/O.png[/img]
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
_
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
___
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 4:27am On Oct 08, 2012
Shango is of interest to me.
His influence is very strong in Jamaica though many Jamaicans don't necessarily call him "shango" except for the country folks who were able to obtain their strong african heritage.

Rastas call him "Jah".
When you hear them say "fire bun!" "LAVA!" or "LIGHTENING!" they are making reference to him burning out evil doers with lightening and using nature.

as far as Egypt of course Horus is fascinating to me. In fact I am thinking of getting the eye of horus tattooed on me. lipsrsealed

anyway,

[size=18pt]Anubis/Anapa[/size] aka the "Guardian of the Scales" is probably one of my favorites.

He's mysterious and pretty much the "staple image" (if that makes sense) of Ancient Egypt. He has become the face of ancient Egyptian society and beliefs.

Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 08, 2012
__
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Ptolomeus(m): 5:45pm On Oct 08, 2012
Osun
His cult originated in Ijesa (Yorubaland). Òrìsá of beauty sweet waters, waterfalls, lakes, Orisa of love, the gold, the copper ... Applies pregnancy ... excellent cook and lover.
Yeye o, Iyá Oloódé!

Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2012
Obatala, Oshun, Oya, Yemenja, and olokun...
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by MusicCafe: 6:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
My fav has always been Shango and Obatala. Shango for justice and Obatala for purity.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sango - GOD OF THUNDER!

Amadioha

Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 08, 2012
KingMichael777:

Very interesting Kails! smiley

I am to thinking about getting an eye of Horus tattoo. I do not know why people think the eye is evil?

I didn't know Jah was Shango...

Lol ppl think its evil because they dont understand or know about his power and significance. His eye actually represents wisdom and power.

But yeah jamaicans come from all over africa and we mixed everything together to form our culture. Oshun, and a few other yoruba dieties are celebrated in jamaica but shango (or chango) is most obvious we just call him "Jah" which i think is a sierra leone tribal name for God (not sure tho).
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2012
_
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 11:31pm On Oct 08, 2012
*Kails*:

Lol ppl think its evil because they dont understand or know about his power and significance. His eye actually represents wisdom and power.

But yeah jamaicans come from all over africa and we mixed everything together to form our culture. Oshun, and a few other yoruba dieties are celebrated in jamaica but shango (or chango) is most obvious we just call him "Jah" which i think is a sierra leone tribal name for God (not sure tho).

I thought Jah was God almighty as opposed to a lesser deity? Apparently, the word Jah is from Hebrew though. Rastasfari is more like a Christian sect than an African descended school to put it simply.

KingMichael777:

To be truthfully, my knowledge of African Gods is limited. I know a lot about Haitian Gods, even though I am not Haitian. But I want to learn more about African Orisha gods.

But this Orisha God named Obatala interest me a lot.

Then you'd have to focus on Yoruba religion for better clarity since Orisha is only Yoruba.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 11:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
ezeagu:

I thought Jah was God almighty as opposed to a lesser deity?

The qualities of "Jah" are strikingly similar to Shango and his "wrath".
Jah = God yes, but when punishing he is basically uses nature (lightening and thunder) to punish people.

Its just like Santeria. African deities and Christianity were mixed together to create our "new religion". Even Hinduism and Islam played huge roles in the formation of our beliefs but its just that our system is highly Afro. centric.

It's kind of hard for me to explain lol. grin

@ King, I will have to do more research. I just know of Shango and Oshun being the most celebrated (if you will) in Jamaica.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 12:15am On Oct 09, 2012
Okay, I get what you mean.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 12:21am On Oct 09, 2012
wink
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 12:21am On Oct 09, 2012
king you know of any NON-YORUBA African dieties? smiley
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by odumchi: 1:13am On Oct 09, 2012
The thing with Igbo deities is that they go by different names depending on what part of Igboland you are in and this can be confusing to some.

Here are a just a few:

Female yam deity (Ifejioku, Ivejioku)
Market/business deity (Inyamahia, Inyamavia)
Supreme deity (Chukwu, Obasi, Eke, Olisabuluwa, Osolobue, Osonobue)
Thunder deity (Kamalu, Amadioha, Amadiora)
Ability deity (Ikenga)

2 Likes

Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 09, 2012
odumchi: The thing with Igbo deities is that they go by different names depending on what part of Igboland you are in and this can be confusing to some.

Here are a just a few:

Female yam deity (Ifejioku, Ivejioku)
Market/business deity (Inyamahia, Inyamavia)
Supreme deity (Chukwu, Obasi, Eke, Olisabuluwa, Osolobue, Osonobue)
Thunder deity (Kamalu, Amadioha, Amadiora)
Ability deity (Ikenga)

thanks bro!! cheesy cheesy

i will definitely do more research on them. smiley

KOT:
I think it's very fascinating how just about every ancient society has/had at least one god/deity of Thunder, Beauty and Wisdom.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 5:24am On Oct 09, 2012
))
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 09, 2012
__
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 11:01pm On Oct 09, 2012
Anansi means spider in Twi I think. They took that word to Jamaica and it entered patois.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 11:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
No. 2: Ikenga, deitiy of progress the right-hand cult.

[img]http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/igbo/ikenga7.JPG[/img]

Pictured in female form.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ChinenyeN(m): 12:48am On Oct 10, 2012
My favorite... [In no particular order] Ekwesu (called upon in times of war), Amadiohna (called upon for retributive justice), and Ala (highly venerated; sustainer of life, fertility and judge of persons; Ala punishes).
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 10, 2012
My favorite: Goddess of "Cut your bullshoit" (Ileke-IdI)

[img]http://2.bp..com/_xer3HokCRyI/SC-YwYd_YeI/AAAAAAAAACY/9G8r6vMro80/s400/normal_%25C2%25A9Selina_Fenech_Oshun_African_Goddess%25C2%25A9%5B1%5D.jpg[/img]
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 12:58am On Oct 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

[img]http://2.bp..com/_xer3HokCRyI/SC-YwYd_YeI/AAAAAAAAACY/9G8r6vMro80/s400/normal_%25C2%25A9Selina_Fenech_Oshun_African_Goddess%25C2%25A9%5B1%5D.jpg[/img]
lmao!! u no well! grin grin
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ezeagu(m): 1:26am On Oct 10, 2012
ChinenyeN: My favorite... [In no particular order] Ekwesu (called upon in times of war), Amadiohna (called upon for retributive justice), and Ala (highly venerated; sustainer of life, fertility and judge of persons; Ala punishes).

Which did you ancestors churu aja?
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by Nobody: 1:26am On Oct 10, 2012
Hey, my love?
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by ChinenyeN(m): 2:04am On Oct 10, 2012
ezeagu: Which did you ancestors churu aja?
Ala and Ekwesu.
Re: I am feeling real gay right now... by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:46am On Oct 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

ileke!

(1) (Reply)

Anselm Ramacher - Bata Beat Drummer In Germany / Dont Kill Yoruba Words / Igbos Are The Most Achivers In Africa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.