Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

A Proposition For Theological Debate - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Proposition For Theological Debate (9352 Views)

The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological / A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
1. Words that are not in the Bible may not be used as the basis for explaining central doctrinal beliefs.

2. Using mathematics to describe concepts that when stated clearly defy the laws of mathematics is not allowed.

3. A belief or doctrine may not contain within itself ideas that contradict each other.

4. The word “fully” should be used only in the sense of “100%,” or “completely.” Any other usage of the word defies the English language. Using the word in the first place means the person accepts the standards of English, and it is not allowed that they later defy them.

5. Words may not be created to describe biblical ideas; the Bible provides the words and the ideas.

6. A belief may not be claimed to be so obvious that it is not even mentioned in the Bible, then said to be a central tenet of faith.

7. Defense of a belief should not be based on a verse that is only translated as a defense in a certain version of the Bible. The verse should also not be used if it is shown to be an addition by later writers to the original text.

8. A belief must not be formed through a filter of “the necessity of mystery.” God did not reveal the Word that people should be confused.

9. A belief may not be expounded solely from one book or area of the Bible while the rest offers it no support. Context means the entire Bible, not just the passage of interest.

10. A belief should answer more questions than it raises, biblically speaking.

11. A belief should be congruent with the Old Testament and the New Testament.

12. People should understand what they state as their belief; a book or another person is not a valid “understanding” of what a person believes.

13. Evangelism should not hide the true nature of the belief that is expressed. A person should come to salvation based on a full understanding of what the evangelizer is saying. A person is not to be brought to salvation by one standard, then later shown a more “complete” understanding that is claimed to be essential.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by OmoAlata(f): 11:21pm On Oct 06, 2012
Has your fever gone down frosbel? grin grin
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 06, 2012
Omo Alata: Has your fever gone down frosbel? grin grin

Fever ke grin

Just a continuation of my ministry .
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by OmoAlata(f): 11:27pm On Oct 06, 2012
frosbel:

Fever ke grin

Just a continuation of my ministry .

It's too late for me to be laffing ojare grin grin
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:30am On Oct 07, 2012
It's a good thing you stated: "Theological Debate", not "Spiritual Debate".
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 2:21am On Oct 07, 2012
okeyxyz: It's a good thing you stated: "Theological Debate", not "Spiritual Debate".
cos in theology, these rules apply.

In a spiritual debate on the other hand, defying logic and raping commonsense would be the order of the day..
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 07, 2012
Acts 17
16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.

The Bible makes no reference to spiritual debates. The Apostles won people over by their convictionas and ability to preach the gospel in a clear manner.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 07, 2012
Is the word 'bible' in the bible if not how did it come about?

How about the phrases old and new testament are they in the bible?

How many books are in the bible?

Is sola scripture or rather sola bible in the bible?
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 07, 2012
Am in
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by PastorKun(m): 9:33am On Oct 07, 2012
On second thoughts I think Frosbel needs to be encouraged to fight the heretic trinity doctrine. There is something very wrong with the way a lot of brethen are holding on to this false doctrine that as been debunked time and time again. I wonder what kind of spirit is encouraging brethen to hold on to something that is so glaringly false and even by there own admission is not relevant to their salvation.

1 Like

Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Areaboy2(m): 10:38am On Oct 07, 2012
Rule number 3 is as good as saying "Everybody go home" grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Enigma(m): 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2012
No matter what the "anti-Trinitarians" say {and we know the spirit behind their "fight"}, the following truths taught in the Bible have never, can never and will never be "debunked". smiley

1. God is ONE
2. God The Father is God
3. God The Son is God; and
4. God The Holy Spirit is God.

cool
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
musKeeto:
cos in theology, these rules apply.

In a spiritual debate on the other hand, defying logic and raping commonsense would be the order of the day..

Theology is simply an academic study of religion. It tries to evaluate religion through cultural & historical systems. It provides a good level of validity, but like i said: it's only academic and therefore limited to reference purposes only. But spirituality provides the true message of such documents, it is a decoder and gives insight on how to apply these messages to your personal & social lives.

It is also a common fallacy that spirituality "defies logic and commonsense" as you put it. This is absolute nonsense, The fact that some(most) people fail to understand a spiritual concept does not invalidate the truth of such a concept(I speak as a christian). To the best of my knowledge, I'm yet to come across a spiritual message in the bible that is illogical and against natural law. The foolishness is when christians & anti-christians choose to follow allegories & parables in a literal manner.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2012
musKeeto: Acts 17
16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to debate with him. Some of them asked, “What is this babbler trying to say?” Others remarked, “He seems to be advocating foreign gods.” They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we would like to know what they mean.” 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.

T[b]he Bible makes no reference to spiritual debates. The Apostles won people over by their convictionas and ability to preach the gospel in a clear manner.[/b]

You speak without understanding. To read the letter is academic/theology, but to interpret the message is Spiritual.

When Paul discourses various religions with it's worshippers, it is because he(Paul) has spiritual understanding of these numerous religions, knowing that they are all shadows of the truth, thus he does not forbid himself to engage with idol worshippers because he can interpret their practices perfectly(without condemning the people) and stir these worshippers in the right direction. Paul knew that all religions were merely trying to imitate christ and his purpose was to reveal this Truth, so they can abandon the "shadows" and follow the "Substance".
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun: On second thoughts I think Frosbel needs to be encouraged to fight the heretic trinity doctrine. There is something very wrong with the way a lot of brethen are holding on to this false doctrine that as been debunked time and time again. I wonder what kind of spirit is encouraging brethen to hold on to something that is so glaringly false and even by there own admission is not relevant to their salvation.

What is Trinity?

If a christian thinks there are three persons(Father, Son, Holy-Spirit), then he is mistaken.
There are two persons: Father & Son, while the Holy-Spirit is a character. So if this is what he thinks by trinity, then he's not wrong.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma: No matter what the "anti-Trinitarians" say {and we know the spirit behind their "fight"}, the following truths taught in the Bible have never, can never and will never be "debunked". smiley

1. God is ONE
2. God The Father is God

cool

True!!!
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma: No matter what the "anti-Trinitarians" say {and we know the spirit behind their "fight"}, the following truths taught in the Bible have never, can never and will never be "debunked". smiley

1. God is ONE
2. God The Father is God

cool

God is ONE and then he is THREE.

If this does not defy logic then logic does not exist.

Yet we know that God is the author of Logic for he created the brain to reason, analyse and decide.

To our horror we are told, forget about the brain, just believe in a 3god god even if it does not make sense.

I say NAY.

If it does not make sense, it is nonsense.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Enigma(m): 12:40pm On Oct 07, 2012
^^^^ Does the virgin birth conform with your understanding of "logic"? smiley

Is the virgin birth nonsense? smiley

cool
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma: ^^^^ Does the virgin birth conform with your understanding of "logic"? smiley

cool

Indeed it does make sense, it's in the bible.

The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God - Luke 1:35

Remember rule No.6.

6. A belief may not be claimed to be so obvious that it is not even mentioned in the Bible, then said to be a central tenet of faith.

1 Like

Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma: ^^^^ Does the virgin birth conform with your understanding of "logic"? smiley

cool

+1
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Enigma(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2012
frosbel:

Indeed it does make sense, it's in the bible.

The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God - Luke 1:35

Remember rule No.6.

So you don't even know the meaning of "logic"; you are just throwing around words all over the place! smiley

cool
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
frosbel:

God is ONE and then he is THREE.

If this does not defy logic then logic does not exist.

Yet we know that God is the author of Logic for he created the brain to reason, analyse and decide.

To our horror we are told, forget about the brain, just believe in a 3god god even if it does not make sense.

I say NAY.

If it does not make sense, it is nonsense.

To analyze it logically
If Tom Harry "begats" children, are his children not Harrys? Yes, there is one Harry & there are many Harrys.
God is Spirit, So whoever operates by that spirit is God.
God is both a person and a Specie.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma:

So you don't even know the meaning of "logic"; you are just throwing around words all over the place! smiley

cool

You call yourself a lawyer and do not understand that evidence is a part of logic.

The evidence I have is 2-fold, it's in the bible and secondly my spirit witnesses to this truth.

With the Trinity dogma however, it is not in the bible , hence it is illogical and a fallacy because evidence does not exist.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2012
okeyxyz:

To analyze it logically
If Tom Harry "begats" children, are his children not Harrys? Yes, there is one Harry & there are many Harrys.
God is Spirit, So whoever operates by that spirit is God.
God is both a person and a Specie.

God is ONE Spirit, not 2 Spirits.

Stop dividing GOD .

Jesus is not GOD , he is the SON of GOD, to make the SON also GOD tears down reason and throws logic into the bin.

God is a God of logic and reason.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Enigma(m): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
frosbel:

Stop dividing GOD .

Jesus is not GOD , he is the SON of GOD, to make the SON also GOD tears down reason and throws logic into the bin.

God is a God of logic and reason

To feed five thousand with just five loaves and two fishes "tears down reason and throws logic into the bin"!

How can a "God of logic and reason" do that?

cool
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by ijawkid(m): 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2012

1. God is ONE
2. God The Father is God

cool

Show me scripture wey bible say holy spirit na God or a God....

Show me now.......

Open like 2 scriptures....

You are holding on to a false doctrine not supported by the scripture...

Leave d doctrine alone....

Its useless....
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enigma:

To feed five thousand with just five loaves and two fishes "tears down reason and throws logic into the bin"!

How can a "God of logic and reason" do that?

cool

evidence supporting God's mighty Power.

evidence young man, show me the evidence of the Trinity from Genesis to Revelation, I want evidence that GOD is 3.
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by okeyxyz(m): 1:06pm On Oct 07, 2012
frosbel:

Stop dividing GOD .

God is a God of logic and reason.

It is the Holy_Spirit that makes God a Specie. It is by this spirit that He "begat" Jesus, thus he is the "First Begotten". The son of God is God. Simple. Why would Jesus use the reference "My Father"? Why is "My God" not enough?? Was it not for this reference "My Father" that the Jews wanted to stone him??
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2012
okeyxyz:

It is the Holy_Spirit that makes God a Specie. It is by this spirit that He "begat" Jesus, thus he is the "First Begotten". The son of God is God. Simple. Why would Jesus use the reference "My Father"? Why is "My God" not enough?? Was it not for this reference "My Father" that the Jews wanted to stone him??

So Jesus has 2 fathers, No ?

God the Father and God the Spirit ?
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by ijawkid(m): 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
okeyxyz:

Why should God call another person my God and My Father??

Then that person na still God??

You are about to shoot yaself on the foot.....
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2012
okeyxyz:

Theology is simply an academic study of religion. It tries to evaluate religion through cultural & historical systems. It provides a good level of validity, but like i said: it's only academic and therefore limited to reference purposes only. But spirituality provides the true message of such documents, it is a decoder and gives insight on how to apply these messages to your personal & social lives.

It is also a common fallacy that spirituality "defies logic and commonsense" as you put it. This is absolute nonsense, The fact that some(most) people fail to understand a spiritual concept does not invalidate the truth of such a concept(I speak as a christian). To the best of my knowledge, I'm yet to come across a spiritual message in the bible that is illogical and against natural law. The foolishness is when christians & anti-christians choose to follow allegories & parables in a literal manner.
The birth of Christ? Allegory or logic beyond human comprehension?
Re: A Proposition For Theological Debate by Enigma(m): 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2012
frosbel:

evidence supporting God's mighty Power.

evidence young man, show me the evidence of the Trinity from Genesis to Revelation, I want evidence that GOD is 3.

If I am a young man you are a juvenile; in any event your reasoning has always been very infantile and you are actually no more than a juvenile in that respect. smiley

The evidence that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God and that God is ONE has been presented to you too many times. But of course you choose to turn away from Christian teaching and evidence but to accept the evidence of Moslems, Jehovah's Witnesses and "Unitarians". Have you ever even investigated who "Unitarians" are? Actually, a little task for you: google/research the association of Unitarians with "Metropolitan churches" wink

cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Cardinal Becciu: Vatican Court Convicts Former Pope Adviser Of Financial Crimes / Ways God Uses In Teaching Christians How To Number Their Days / Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.