Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians (1253 Views)

An Open Letter To All Muslims / An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) / Why Do Nigerian Christians Hate Islam??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2012
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

I advise every reader of this piece – Christians especially – to read with a plain mind that is free of any prejudice or stereotypes. This missive is addressed mainly at Christians and adherents of other religions in this country as well as any Muslim who may help spread word of it.

It is quite saddening that Boko Haram has done, in the name of Islam, so much evil that the average non-Muslim now has a very ugly perception of the religion and its adherents.

Though the Nigerian media has sometimes gone overboard in their reports (for instance, news spread months ago that a Boko Haram instigated bomb blast occurred in Bauchi, only for the Police to state later that the heard explosion was that of a faulty transformer and not a bomb), this piece does not seek to defend the acts of Boko Haram (in fact, it strongly disapproves of their acts). So, please don't start forming opinions yet.

Read this piece to the end, as it hoped that it would help extinguish the fire of inter-religious animosity raging in our society today – by means of these clarifications:

Clarification #1

You Christians have known we Muslims for years, and you have lived with us for years as well. I’m sure the Muslims you first knew or grew up with never told you that Islam permits unjust killings – not even of non-Muslims. They won't, because they never believed such. If that were part of their belief, they would certainly have attempted killing you. So, their peaceful co-existence with you shows that they had nothing of such as their belief.

But suddenly came a strange group of "Muslims" who kill in the name of Islam. Yet, you conclude that these "vampires" are following the dictates of Islam. Which Islam? A new version of Islam?

So, it is either Boko Haram members are practising a strange Islam or are not practising Islam at all. But the truth remains that our religion has never and will never undergo any kind of metamorphosis. And whatever is not part of it from the outset will never be regarded as being part of it today!

Since unjust, unlawful killings were never part of Islam, they will never be part of Islam, and any individual or group that practices such – even in the name of Islam – will ‘never’ be regarded as Muslims or as fighting for Islam.

Clarification #2

I do see Christians quote Quranic verses inciting Muslims to fight the non-believers. And I have these to say:

Just as you hold that many verses in the Bible have underlying meanings that are beyond the literal implications, we Muslims also hold the same in regards to the Quran. The Quran contains many verses whose meanings are subject to interpretations other than the literal.

So, I advise every truth-seeking non-Muslim to refrain from quoting Quranic verses without deep understanding of the circumstances behind their revelation.

As for the wars fought by the early Muslims, various circumstances led to these, and going into a detailed discussion will be digressive and will make this piece lengthier.

However, know that the wars propagated by the Muslims of old had many strong reasons behind them. And looking at history, no civilisation or revolution came to be without some struggle.

Now the truth: in Nigeria of today, there are NO justifications whatsoever for any Muslim – individual or group – to kill non-Muslims unjustly. In fact, from what I've learned about this religion, NONE – yes, NONE – of the conditions that permit Muslims to fight (such as if they are facing aggression from non-Muslims, and if they are in an Islamic state) is present in the Nigeria of today. Therefore, anyone fighting in the name of Islam is either doing that out of misindoctrination, crass ignorance, or for ulterior reasons.

Once again, Nigeria is not an Islamic state, and no Muslim – except for the misindoctrinated, ignorant, or hypocritical – is permitted to fight in the name of religion.

Clarification #3

Any Muslim individual or group that claims to be fighting for Islam by way of unjust, unwarranted killings is not following the dictates of ‘the’ Islam - and that is even if such were Muslims in the first place.

In a Quranic verse, which, interestingly, those Christians who have never stopped dissecting the Quran never quote, Allah says:

"Allah never forbids you from dealing justly and kindly with those who do not fight you based on your religion and who do not drive you out of your homes. Verily Allah loves those who deal with others with equity" – Quran 60 verse 8.

This verse drives home the fact that Muslims living amidst non-Muslims (in a non-Islamic state) should never fight them except in self-defence.

In another verse, Allah describes the sanctity life in these words:

"Because of that, we ordained for the Children of Israel that anyone who spreads mischief in the land by killing another person unjustly, and not out of retaliation, it would be as if he had killed all of mankind. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind" – Quran 5 verse 32.

So, Islam honours life and is totally against taking it unjustly.

Clarification #4

It would be illogical for any Muslim, after having observed some wrongdoing by a Christian or group of Christians, to conclude that Christianity preaches that wrong act or that all Christians approve of it.

Similarly, it contradicts logic for any Christian, after having observed some wrongdoing by some individuals or groups who claim to be Muslims, to conclude that Islam preaches that wrong act or that all Muslims approve of it.

Get it clear: We Muslims – who really understand the true message of Islam – are totally against the terrorist acts of these bloodsucking "Muslim" groups. In fact, we doubt their being Muslims in the first place. And if they were, either they lost touch of the pristine Islam by getting themselves misindoctrinated, or they are not sincere in their cause (i.e. they have ulterior motives).

Clarification #5

While it is natural for the adherents of any religion to feel enraged when the supreme deity, as held by that religion, is insulted, it is irrational for the adherents to go beyond bounds in their quest for justice – especially when this will involve greater evils like shedding the blood of the innocent.

However, Christians should stop spewing insults at Allah, His Messenger, and at Muslims as a whole. In the Qur'an, Allah has clearly forbidden Muslims from insulting non-Muslims and their religion (Quran 6 verse 108). So, Muslims too should refrain from doing this.

Also, it is far from ideal that a Muslim, in "retaliation" of blasphemy, goes wild, killing innocent lives and destroying property.

Final note

We Muslims are disheartened by the activities of these radicals, and on behalf of every Muslim in this country with a sound, unadulterated Islamic ideology, I state that we are proud of our religion, and we totally and openly disapprove of the acts of BH and their sponsors.

We pray that Allah vindicates His religion by exposing, humiliating, and destroying any individual or group perpetrating evil in the name of Islam.

We also pray that Allah restores peace and security in this country, and make it a haven of tranquility for all – Muslims, Christians, Pagans, and Atheists.

Finally, I advise every person who wishes to study Islam sincerely to look only into authentic sources and try to avoid the press, ignorant and biased non-Muslims, and other sources of baseless gainsay.

Spread word of this piece. Feel free to share with others through any available media. Hopefully, it will help reduce the inter-religious animosity that is thickening in Nigeria today.

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by maclatunji: 9:53am On Oct 08, 2012
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 9:54am On Oct 08, 2012
Moderator, please help move this to the front page
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by k2039: 10:04am On Oct 08, 2012

one of the best write up I ever read.

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Obinoscopy(m): 10:47am On Oct 08, 2012
I really learnt a lot from this missive. My perception of Muslims and Islam have improved after going through this. I had thought tolerance was scarce virtue among Muslims but I now know better.

@OP nice piece!

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 08, 2012
@Op, nice posts.i have somethings to chip in by the way

you don't have to blame us non-muslims for thinking all moslems are the same cos' its hurtfull seeing our siblings,tribesmen, innocent lives wasted for nothing sake.it hurts so untill you are in our shoes, you may never know

the media has not blown anything by boko haram out of proportion rather its the inhumane ways the heartless sect go about their deeds that makes it such.to all, they committed the said crimes and even admitted to doing it on you tube.imagine trying to islamize nigeria, refusing to negotiate with the govt and killing christains as if they are above the law and creator of human life!!.

Boko haram are muslims, don't try to cover it up with "pactising new religion".boko haram are just the 9ja version of alqeida.they are simply doing the stuff inconcated in them by their imams or various leaders.as an igbo child growing up, i've come to known about the killings meted out to non-musilms.i aint talking about the biafran war(though its another clear example) but am talking about the incessant killings that are associated with muslims.are you telling me that those muderers and rioters that killed the american ambassador in libya aren't moslems?.note they were thousands of them rioting WORLDWIDE!!..are you telling me that those muslims that killed innocent lives in 9ja cos' of a cartoon made in far away denmark are not muslims?..if you wanna deny the facts, maybe you should listen to VICTOR MOSES tear-inducing story
!!

i agree with you that its illogical to accuse the whole moslems cos of a "FEW" group that act unislamic but ask yourself, are they really "FEW"?...all this crime done everyday, are they of "FEW" numbers?..your guess is as good as mine if you are unbiased!!

Lastly, i want to thank you for your posts.its reeks of maturity and sound reasoning.so i leave you with this:

(1) if all muslims adhere by your posts, believe me when i say the world will be a better place and non-muslims might troop in their numbers to convert to islam

(2) to be frank with you, i dont see all moslems adhering to your posts atleast not this blood thirsty extremists who swallows every evil words said to them hook,line and sinker!!.not this brainwashed radicals whose mind has been been beclouded with mudrer,islamization and 77 virgins!!

(3) if radical/norhtern moslems can behave like yoruba muslims, this killings, generalization of islam as a religion of piss or violence(no pun intended.just saying it as non-muslims who are pissed says it) will come to an abrupt END!!

Cheers...hope your fellow muslims can change for good

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by UjSizzle(f): 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2012
This is the best thing I've heard a muslim say. Blaming all muslims for boko haram is akin to saying since some priests and past popes have been known to be paedophiles and homosexuals then that's what all christians are.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by deols(f): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2012
Cant even find the perfect word to describe this.

May Allah reward you abundantly.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by brentkruge: 11:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by tpia5: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2012
Clarification #1 is not really true.

You dont see many non-muslims insisting radical muslims arent practicing Islam because they ( non-muslims) are aware of fundamentalism in the religion.

So, its rather a moot point and misleading to insist because of sentiment, one should assume one cant be harmed by a person who practises the militant form of their religion.

Human nature is what it is.

You cant really vouch for others-you can only vouch for yourself and even then, its others prerogative if they want to take your words at face value.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 4:28pm On Oct 11, 2012
tpia@:
Clarification #1 is not really true.

You dont see many non-muslims insisting radical muslims arent practicing Islam because they ( non-muslims) are aware of fundamentalism in the religion.

So, its rather a moot point and misleading to insist because of sentiment, one should assume one cant be harmed by a person who practises the militant form of their religion.

Human nature is what it is.

You cant really vouch for others-you can only vouch for yourself and even then, its others prerogative if they want to take your words at face value.

It's like you didn't understand my point. Read again please. All you stated are nowhere to be found in the piece.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by tpia5: 10:39pm On Oct 11, 2012
^suffice it to say, clarification # 1 is debatable.

i didnt really read the rest but i get your point.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 13, 2012
Nice piece. It calmed my rage against muslims.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 12:28pm On Oct 14, 2012
chuckzoid: Nice piece. It calmed my rage against muslims.
Thanks. I think with people like you, I've achieved my aim.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by onyekabe(m): 5:45am On Oct 16, 2012
I do not believe your write up cos wherever muslems are majority the minority suffers. Just imagine a non muslem in saudi can he practice his religion freely? All muslem are the same they will call you infidel if they know that they has the highest population just like what is happening in northern nigeria. Porter i know you are not from the north that explian why you are moderate. I also know that if the population of muslems in Yoruba land is like 80% the story will change. Gray that the population of muslem in Yoruba land increase so that people will see what an saying

(1) (Reply)

Mainstream Sunni Scholar From Al-azhar Speaks On Wahhabism aka Salafism / Sheik Ahmad Abubakar Mahmud Gumi Attacks Jonathan Israel Visit / The Story of An American Feminist that Converted To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.