Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee (32670 Views)

Push CV Elite Employee Quest 2015 / Push CV Elite Employee Quest 2015 / What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by sylve11: 4:44pm On Oct 14, 2012
Nice thread! cool
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Emmy9ite(m): 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
Lemme add this

An Entrepreneur always focuses on opportunities, he is always looking for a problem to solve and a need to fill.....An Employee on the other hand focuses on obstacles and problems, he is concerned with avoiding troubles with his boss.

1 Like

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by obowunmi(m): 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2012
Emmy9ite - are you suggesting that there are no dedicated or proactiv employees? There are a few dedicated employees that support your company and always look to solve problems if you pay them well and promote them.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by obowunmi(m): 5:19pm On Oct 14, 2012
I think that the only difference between an entrepreneur and employee is OPPORTUNITY.

Without staff sef, an entrepreneur cannot adequately carry out his/her vision. You need well qualified and highly trained staff.

This thread shouldn't turn into a employee bashing thread. Entrepreneurs and employees need one another.

2 Likes

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by oladayo042: 5:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
* An Entrepreneur pays himself first before being is rents, suppliers, tax, salaries and wages, bills and others, while on the other hand, an Employee is being paid last (salary) at the end of the month.
Even when the entrepreneur has not paid his employees? I'm sure you meant Drawings by 'pays himself first'. Drawings is not the same as profit, which we were taught is the reward of entrepreneurs.

* The 80/20 Principal : The Entrepreneur just does 20% of the total work of his organization but takes home 80% of the profit at the end of the day. While on the other hand, the employee who does 80% of the work takes home only 20% of the profit.
This line of thought does not take cognizance of loss. What happens in an event of loss? The entrepreneur takes home 120% loss since he will always have to pay the employee his/her 20% (salary) because the salary is not tied to profit.

Anyway, I'm not trying to downplay the freedom inherent in entrepreneurship, I'm just putting some things in perspective.

2 Likes

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by lacicrips(m): 5:32pm On Oct 14, 2012
The OP is helping to derail the excellent thread he created.

Point 3: I pay myself last, I ensure that staff and every other thing has been taken care of first before I talk about myself. Maybe this might change in the future, I can't tell.

Point 4: I'm usually the first to get to the office (not every time though), and the last to leave. I love what I do. Although I think this might change when I eventually get a wife, and make some babies.

Nice compilation, Acid. You sound like a die-hard entrepreneur.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by zubbainno123: 5:41pm On Oct 14, 2012
Nice write ups
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by jstringz(m): 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
If everyone is an entrepreneur who will be the employee? undecided

Just asking O •°˚˚°•

1 Like

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by flexyonline: 6:19pm On Oct 14, 2012
The entrepreneur described by the OP will be out of business and broke in no time at all
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Curiouscity(m): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
The type of entrepreneur described above in mostly found in Nigeria. Like someone said, an entrepreneur is different from a Biz owner.
An entrepreneur that goes to work last and be the 1st to leave is digging his grave.
What drives entrepreneurship is loving what U do. If U love what U do, then U can
even sleep in ur office knowing that whatever U invest in terms of time is yours.

There is freedom as an entrepreneur, but we can't all be entrepreneurs. We need each other.
More so, stand alone entrepreneur is setting Nigeria backward. We should think of economic of
scale, by combining different entrepreneurship into a one big coy!!
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 14, 2012
Emmy9ite: Lemme add this

An Entrepreneur always focuses on opportunities, he is always looking for a problem to solve and a need to fill.....An Employee on the other hand focuses on obstacles and problems, he is concerned with avoiding troubles with his boss.
THE QUESTION NOW IS, ARE ENTREPRENEURS BORN OR MADE BECAUSE I THINK I'M BORN AN ENTREPRENEUR WHILE OTHER FACTORS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO ME BEING ONE.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Redman44(m): 7:23pm On Oct 14, 2012
I became an entrepreneur some months ago and I've discovered that being an entrepreneur takes a lot of focus and determination. I really want to succeed in my line of business, so I put in a lot of effort on a daily basis. Employees and Entrepreneurs need one another. An Entrepreneur cannot succeed without resourceful employees. One thing I have discovered is that the quality of Nigerian workers is very low. Graduates are not taking enough time to develop themselves skills wise before applying for jobs. So I keep making corrections and fine tuning the articles my employees submit on a daily basis. I manage a Media Company, so to speak. I am also working for other companies but I run my own company too. I am happy that at least I am helping the Nigerian economy by providing jobs for some people. Nigerians in diaspora need to embrace entrepreneurship because the environment they live in is conducive for business. They should start something no matter how small it is. Cheers.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by snthesis(m): 8:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
nice thread
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by snthesis(m): 8:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
inspiring thread
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by vislabraye(m): 8:31pm On Oct 14, 2012
Entrepreneurs are in levels. Ultimately that's the best way for an individual.
Entrepreneurship comes with a price and most times we were once employees. They both need one another.
There are some entrepreneurs who are also employed. They don't give their best to their employers yet expect their employees to give their best.

1 Like

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 14, 2012
You make it seem like it's always "Rosy" with Entrepreneur.

Most of what you describe only Happen when the Entrepreneur "Get's There".

From ground up, it may not always be smooth. wink

Nice Compilation though.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by valentinehenry(m): 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]There's a very BIG difference between an Entrepreneur and an Employee. In life we make our choices to decide where we want our current actions to lead us to in future. Below are the Major differences they won't teach you in school. * An Entrepreneur decides his future, profit, time, happiness, duties and a whole lot of others. While on the other hand, an Employee allows his boss to decide his income, time, schedule and sometimes even happiness. * An Entrepreneur craves for Freedom while an Employee craves for Security. Don't forget the people in prisons are the ones provided with the maximum security. Meaning while an Entrepreneur is Absolutely free in his decisions and movements, an Employee his restricted in his. * An Entrepreneur pays himself first before being is rents, suppliers, tax, salaries and wages, bills and others, while on the other hand, an Employee is being paid last (salary) at the end of the month. * An Entrepreneur is some cases are the last to arrive
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by ogahope(m): 9:40pm On Oct 14, 2012
obowunmi: An entrepreneur is different from a small business owner.

An entrepreneur last to arrive and first to leave? Really....that's a lie.
An entrepreneur pays himself first? LIE.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Techwriter: 11:56pm On Oct 14, 2012
Entrepreneurship is living a few years as most people won't in other to live the rest of you life as most people can't. Period
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by InvertedHammer: 5:14am On Oct 15, 2012
Entrepreneur! Entrepreneur!! Entrepreneur!!!

You make it sound that any "Joe-Six-pack" can just go out there and make it as an entrepreneur.
People should crosscheck their risk tolerance level, capital availability, and consider other unforseen circumstances
that may prop up in the journey to becoming a "SUCCESSFUL" entrepreneur. Nothing good comes easy else
everyone will be a "SUCCESSFUL" entrepreneur.

The OP really makes entrepreneurship seem like a walk in the park. Do you know the failure rate of new start-ups?
Do you have the capital base to sustain yourself in case things don't go as planned? If you took out some loans, how
will you deal with loss of collateral? Any alternative means of survival if and if things go kabooom in your face?
He/she who fails to plan, plans to fail.

Being an entrepreneur is one of the most difficult endeavors any person would undertake. Not everyone has the
knack for it. Period!
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by yommy2sure(m): 6:43am On Oct 15, 2012
Nice 'copyrighted' thread as usual. Now the guy that sells gala in 'go-slow' is forming enterprenuer to the Shell employee...smh! Fact...the most successful enterprenuers were once employees...the practical knowledge and skills of efficient business management arent tot in school. U learn it somewhere!

3 Likes

Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by dartsidius7(m): 7:53am On Oct 15, 2012
jstringz: If everyone is an entrepreneur who will be the employee? undecided

Just asking O •°˚˚°•

Very good question. smiley
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by dartsidius7(m): 8:05am On Oct 15, 2012
InvertedHammer: Entrepreneur! Entrepreneur!! Entrepreneur!!!

You make it sound that any "Joe-Six-pack" can just go out there and make it as an entrepreneur.
People should crosscheck their risk tolerance level, capital availability, and consider other unforseen circumstances
that may prop up in the journey to becoming a "SUCCESSFUL" entrepreneur. Nothing good comes easy else
everyone will be a "SUCCESSFUL" entrepreneur.

The OP really makes entrepreneurship seem like a walk in the park. Do you know the failure rate of new start-ups?
Do you have the capital base to sustain yourself in case things don't go as planned? If you took out some loans, how
will you deal with loss of collateral? Any alternative means of survival if and if things go kabooom in your face?
He/she who fails to plan, plans to fail.

Being an entrepreneur is one of the most difficult endeavors any person would undertake. Not everyone has the
knack for it. Period!

So on point like a decimal. Ok, entrepreneurs are bold enough to take risks, but what if things dont work out. we all want to be our own bosses but its not that easy. plus, the entrepreneurs have their own boss too which is the customer. An enterpreneur can only lay back when his\her business is successful, but until then, its mean hustle (like rick ross used to say).
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by honeric01(m): 8:35am On Oct 15, 2012
See them lazy people trying to discourage others from venturing into the forest of risk taking, we know everyone can't be a job creator bur that does not change the fact that those who create job are more valuable than those who they create it for. the heroes are those who create the job. I would like to ask, if no one creates job, where then do you expect to "get the sole called experience" from?

If you're afraid to be a job creator, fine but don't try to play down the expensive efforts it takes to create jobs for un-daring people like you the employees.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by acidtalk: 10:08am On Oct 15, 2012
honeric01: See them lazy people trying to discourage others from venturing into the forest of risk taking, we know everyone can't be a job creator bur that does not change the fact that those who create job are more valuable than those who they create it for. the heroes are those who create the job. I would like to ask, if no one creates job, where then do you expect to "get the sole called experience" from?

If you're afraid to be a job creator, fine but don't try to play down the expensive efforts it takes to create jobs for un-daring people like you the employees.

Thank you my brother.
This people can discourage and confuse themselves ehn! It is terrible.

This minute they say they need motivation, the next minute they are condemning that samething.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by honeric01(m): 10:29am On Oct 15, 2012
acidtalk:

Thank you my brother.
This people can discourage and confuse themselves ehn! It is terrible.

This minute they say they need motivation, the next minute they are condemning that samething.

Too many pharisees in Nigeria. they scream about no job, yet none's ready to take the lead in job creation, some of them have been working for nothing less than 10 years in another man's own "creation" o, i think there should be a law sacking anyone who has worked in a private company for 10yrs and above in a top position, such people should be compelled to go set up their own business too. Also in the public sector sef. the old ones won't leave even after working years, yet we want the new ones to find job once they leave school, how can you eat your cake and have it at the same time?
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Emmy9ite(m): 1:45pm On Oct 15, 2012
obowunmi: Emmy9ite - are you suggesting that there are no dedicated or proactiv employees? There are a few dedicated employees that support your company and always look to solve problems if you pay them well and promote them.

Yea they support your company but they dont get paid as you do coz u are the boss. He or she is still a paid slave....that is an employee for you! Am not saying being an employee is bad but if you are not paid in proportion to the value you add then start your own business. The thing is, dont die an employee, you can be in more than two quadrants. You can be an employee, a business person and an investor.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Emmy9ite(m): 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2012
yommy2sure: Nice 'copyrighted' thread as usual. Now the guy that sells gala in 'go-slow' is forming enterprenuer to the Shell employee...smh! Fact...the most successful enterprenuers were once employees...the practical knowledge and skills of efficient business management arent tot in school. U learn it somewhere!
My brother, a guy that sells gala is self employed. He is in the 'S' quadrant. An entrepreneur is a team leader. He sees an opportunity, puts together a team and builds a business that profits from the opportunity...if you see an opportunity and solve it by yourself without a team then you are self employed!
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by obowunmi(m): 5:24pm On Oct 15, 2012
Emmy9ite: Yea they support your company but they dont get paid as you do coz u are the boss. He or she is still a paid slave....that is an employee for you! Am not saying being an employee is bad but if you are not paid in proportion to the value you add then start your own business. The thing is, dont die an employee, you can be in more than two quadrants. You can be an employee, a business person and an investor.

Paid slave? That's a wrong way to look at being an employee. You can still employ entrepreneurial tactics on the job.
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by acidtalk: 12:03am On Nov 04, 2012
obowunmi:

Paid slave? That's a wrong way to look at being an employee. You can still employ entrepreneurial tactics on the job.

True talk
Re: Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee by Emmyk(m): 1:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
This thread will help me alot.. I will be doing Enterpreneur dis semester in school. I'v save dis page since October 8

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Testimony After My Boss Sacked Me / EFCC Recruitment Information / How Being Righteous Made Me Lose A Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.