Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? (6119 Views)

This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ / Push CV Elite Employee Quest 2015 / Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 11:33am On Oct 19, 2013
l fired my employee.
hear her, l feel like crying. What do you want me to do now? Where will l start?

Menh l felt for her, but l got to move on and that means letting go on some people and holding on to others.

plz advice me so that l wouldn't make an employee cry again.

What is the best way to fire your employee?

Should you pre inform him/her?

What is the duration duration if you are to inform him/her?
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by spicyv1(f): 12:07pm On Oct 19, 2013
Well, what was your reason for firing her?

If you have a structured business, you ought to understand that you the business owner must have good causes to fire an employee. Causes from:

The employee has become inefficient/unproductive.

The business is experiencing a down turn and layoffs seems inevitable.

For the second cause, you'd still have to let go the staff that is most despensable, that is least productive.

The most professional way to lay off your staff is to truthfully tell them the situation. If the staff is unproductive and has proven so in several instances, prepare a formal letter of termination. Have a chat with the staff and explain that the future of your business is at stake and you can not afford the burden of laxity that translates to unproductivity.

In the case of layoffs being inevitable, say it as it is and always wish them well.

I know firing staff is not a pleasant excercise, which is why seasoned HR Personnel are required to do the job. But for a small business that cannot afford to hire one or that has the business owner wearing that hat, you have to brave it up. wink

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by spicyv1(f): 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2013
jdilight: Should you pre inform him/her?

It depends on the circumstance(s) leading to your decision. You do not have to actually preinform the staff. You can pass subtle hints and gestures though.

jdilight:

What is the duration duration if you are to inform him/her?

Duration is only given in the case of resignation from the employee. Termination does not require a duration because of the psycholocial/emotional impact it may have on the employee. Best to make it quick.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 12:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
Spicy v : Thank you for your insightful contribution. Honestly, It take more than a heart to even fire a bad employ let alone a good one.

However bad the situation maybe, some neccesities are neccessary.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2013
Spicy v: I checked out your post l found this interesting thread by you, "CEOs, Business Owners And Intending
Biz Owners". but couldn't find any reply link to it.

please did you close it down?
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by spicyv1(f): 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2013
No I did not sir. You can't close down a topic created on Nairaland. Just click on the topic and reply as usual. smiley
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 8:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
spicy v : My dear l can't see the reply link even on my post where l as of suggestion about a name for a tissue Paper company. l don't seem to see reply links on topics in Business section of Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by spicyv1(f): 8:57pm On Oct 19, 2013
cheesy that's funny and strange. I hope you haven't been banned from posting on that section. I don't know how the ban thingy works though.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2013
maybe oooo, my dear u just touched a good point there. talking about the ban tin. l dont no wat l would have done to earn me one. Do u no weda there is any avenue to lay complaint for being enlightened as to why one was banned
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by spicyv1(f): 10:03pm On Oct 19, 2013
Well I'm not exactly sure, but I think there is a way to interact with moderators, maybe you can send a PM to one of the moderators of that section.

You may have been banned by the spam bot but a moderator can unban you.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
Thanx dear, your a darling.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by israel007: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
say the damn statement and get it over with:

[size=15pt]you are fired!!![/size]
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2013
If my secretary doesn't want to nack, she will be sacked ASAP

The country is in a recession after all.... angry

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by speeder(m): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
You can't be jailed for not rescueing a drowning man.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by dridowu: 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
If u employ him/her using letter , dn fire him /her using letter but if na by mouth u employ dm , dn fire am by mouth
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by osifred(m): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
there is no best way to sack an employee either than to follow laid down procedure as enshrined in the labour act.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by vinkolo: 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Owe him/her without any hope of payment
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
just passing
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by sucess001(m): 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
By firing squad.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by vinkolo: 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Owe him/her for donkey months without any hope of payment
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by alotofgrace(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
use this H-55_AS-15_Kent_G1 missile from iran

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Businesslocator(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by ZACHIE: 2:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
A GUN. grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by imperiouxx(m): 2:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by sucess001(m): 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
vinkolo: Owe him/her for donkey months without any hope of payment

Shows the darkness of your heart.

That is heartless and i hope people like you dont complain bout bad leaders...cos you are worse.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by 4reigningqueen: 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
wait for the employee to make mistake and simply seize the opportunity or give him or her an assignment that cant be carried out.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by AbdulAdam56(m): 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tell her/him.u are fired.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by deebrain(m): 2:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
THE ALL KNOWN OLD-SCHOOL WAY IS STILL THE WAY TO GO......

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Kaxmytex(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
O boi,see comments
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Richy4(m): 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Was there any warning before you fire?

U can't just wake up one morning and decide to relieve some one of their duties. that is not cool.

Any way, the best was is to bring his or her sins before her or him. tell him/her that she has been warned about that and it continued.
Unfortunately the management can no longer accept that. unfortunately, his/her services is no longer needed. end it by saying good-luck

but if you are down sizing, that is a different way. explain what the management/ the company is having a tough time bla bla bla.
thank him or her for working so wonderfully well. and promise that in future if things improve they will be the first to be called etc.
that is a dignified way of telling people that their services are no longer needed.

do not say "U ARE FIRED " unless u want to be killed.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saroafrica International Limited Job Recruitment / Latest News On Ndlea Exam Result! / Nigerian Army Dssc Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.