Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,735 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... (12748 Views)

Nursing Students Pls I Need Help Ur Help. / Better By Far Students Pls Help........... / My Humble Advice To All Nigerian Students That Just Graduated Recently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 3:58pm On Oct 09, 2012
Gory tales of students being ambushed and slaughtered like cows with #ALUU4 and Mubi killings in Adamawa the latest of this horrible show of shame, hate and cannibalism that has bedeviled our generation, i just hope this thread speaks to the intended audience.

Nairaland without any doubt has a huge population of Nigerian students, especially Jambites (Aspiring students), my advice may come across to some as a cliche or Deja vu but its my humble 2 cents.

My dad reminded me before i left for college while in Nigeria with this quote "The Ocean does not eat the foot of someone in his house, those who toy with the ocean would be drowned by the ocean"

Am pleading with any Nigerian student reading this, if for nothing, at least for the sake of your family/ guardian spending their hard earned Naira on your education, some parents have to do unmentionable jobs under the heat of the scorching sun and sometimes get drenched by the rain, just to make sure you are in school.

Please, Mind the kind/ type of friends you keep while in school, it keeps you 10 steps away from unseen circumstances that are imminent and inevitable in tertiary institutions, many have been slained by perceived friends.

The fourth guy who joined the #ALUU 4 for the hype would have been alive today if he made a wiser decision about joining his friends.

My 2cents

Comments are encouraged.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by iamtheprincipal: 4:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
You are spot on @Roland17.
Well said but some students and non-students would refuse to learn by the mistakes of others.
I wish every young person pays heed to these few words of admonition as opined by Mr. Roland17
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
@iamtheprincipal
thanks, more comments
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 5:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
Its not enough to read, ur comments might help someone here.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Beync(f): 7:10pm On Oct 09, 2012
I just hope our teaming youths would read and pay heed.
the truth is most of these students live double standard life.
At home they leave a normal life while they put on different person
while in school due to peer pressure and trying to meet up.
bad association they said spoils good habit. student pls shun bad friends.
and remember where you are coming from. your parents are sacrificing lots for your
future, they expect you to make them proud and not to bring shocking news and reproach to them.

1 Like

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Odunnu: 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2012
I endorse this thread.
In addition to OP's advice, my dad always told us never to be a part of any MOB.
In the case of this Aluu killing, both the bystander, the lynchmen, the excited boys taking snapshots to upload online, the videomen, they all are guilty and need cleansing.
STAY AWAY FROM BAD FRIENDS!

5 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 7:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
The scariest aspect of this is, today's young/ growing minds do not have good mentors around them, they make hasty decisions without requesting any help. fighting peer pressure seems to be the hallmark

1 Like

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Leadn(m): 9:00pm On Oct 09, 2012
Spot ON!

Thanks for da advice, should come in handy to every1 here both now and in future (kids)
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by soundtruth(m): 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
We should avoid suspicious movement, heard a tale of 2 boys who went to rescue their neighbor who was a girl from her boyfriends house by 3am in the morning because the boyfriend was beating her.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Good post op

But then I also would add that parents should do their work as parents!

Its not enough to provide money,clothes and shelter, for your children there are other important duties to be fulfilled by a parent as well.

Parents have a lot of work to do in a child's life and when its not done there are consequences.

Please parents,play your parts in your children's life as well.

1 Like

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by mrperfect(m): 9:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
Just have a focus and think of value to add in Nigeria.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Onyeka32(m): 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
We are all humans and we are bound to make mistakes that might even take our lives nd we should b prayerful and becareful. Great nigerian student "GREAT. Great bgabga great whew whew Great
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by maclatunji: 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
OP, I endorse your message. Young people don't understand what the word "Freedom" means, I hear and read people say: "I am free to do/say this and that" but they forget that the world can react with the same "Freedom" in a way that could be devastating to you.

Learn to be moderate and always consider each action you take and its consequences carefully- it's a dangerous world and recklessness is not advisable. Freedom brings opportunities and risks simultaneously- don't look at one without considering the other.

2 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by 2mch(m): 9:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
This is a very good thread OP. And we have to understand that the parents are to blame. Children see their parents steal and embezzle, the parents even rationalize it and praise their friends who are doing it. They put too much emphasis on money. Your child comes home with a brand new car, when you know you cannot afford Okada. yet you sing and dance. They never think of how many people committed suicide, who was raped or killed for their son to drive the car. Before your daughter can marry a man, you demand the man buys things that even you cannot buy. All sorts that parents enable out of deep poverty. The whole system needs to be cleansed. Dispossessing people of their hard earned money, so that you can blow it indiscriminately will never bring you good luck. This includes robbers, yahoo boys, yahoo plus and other vices. Even if you dont experience the effects today, karma never leaves us alone. It is better to put all the energy and anger towards the government who are responsible for where you are today, than to unleash suffering on suffering and struggling Nigerians like you. If they lash out, out of frustration then you have to understand.

2 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2012
AmBeautiful: Good post op

But then I also would add that parents should do their work as parents!

Its not enough to provide money,clothes and shelter, for your children there are other important duties to be fulfilled by a parent as well.

Parents have a lot of work to do in a child's life and when its not done there are consequences.

Please parents,play your parts in your children's life as well.

I appreciate your sincere comment but i must not fail to state this

I am a proponent of the school of thought that believes once a child gets into any tertiary institution, that child has become a young adult, training any child at that age would depend on whatever the child has been able to grasp while growing up.

At this stage there is little or nothing parents can do, he/she is no longer a child, all depends on the young adult to chart his/ her own course in life based on the training received.

Parents are not going to live with their kids while in school, no, you can only trust they would make wise decisions based on their upbringing and also that they are open enough to discuss personal issues that affect them.

3 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by oraclefemi(m): 9:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
youre advicing students to be biytches..yeah right..stand up for your right or be labelled a biytch, Martin Luther King once said a man who cant die for anything isnt worth living ...mess with my rights and see if i will listen to any advice not to fight for it.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Leobreezy(m): 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
Nice points @op. I believe the deaths of so many college students could've been avoided if they had paid heed 2 that advice. Nobody knows what those 4 guys went to do in that sinister community. Whatever the case, it brought about their untimely death in such inhumane circumstances. Youths who keep bad company, be careful. You may think you're "in with the crowd" but thats just a phantasm. What pain will it take you to be focused for 4-5 years in the university?
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
a little late for aluu victims. i hope it helps somebody else though. i steered clear of trouble in school and i thank God for my success today
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by changeagent(m): 9:30pm On Oct 09, 2012
2mch: This is a very good thread OP. And we have to understand that the parents are to blame. Children see their parents steal and embezzle, the parents even rationalize it and praise their friends who are doing it. They put too much emphasis on money. Your child comes home with a brand new car, when you know you cannot afford Okada. yet you sing and dance. They never think of how many people committed suicide, who was raped or killed for their son to drive the car. Before your daughter can marry a man, you demand the man buys things that even you cannot buy. All sorts that parents enable out of deep poverty. The whole system needs to be cleansed. Dispossessing people of their hard earned money, so that you can blow it indiscriminately will never bring you good luck. This includes robbers, yahoo boys, yahoo plus and other vices. Even if you dont experience the effects today, karma never leaves us alone. It is better to put all the energy and anger towards the government who are responsible for where you are today, than to unleash suffering on suffering and struggling Nigerians like you. If they lash out, out of frustration then you have to understand.
may the Lord blessyou,yoruba people will say "omo re o se agbafo oun kaso wale" i.e your son is not into dry cleaning and he is bringing home cloth. I wonder why some parents will be happy when a child of 18 years buys a car without operating any legal business.i wish yahoo fraud becomes a serious punishable offence at least 20 years imprisonment with ise asekara (hard labour).
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by dking123: 9:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
oraclefemi: youre advicing students to be biytches..yeah right..stand up for your right or be labelled a biytch, Martin Luther King once said a man who cant die for anything isnt worth living ...mess with my rights and see if i will listen to any advice not to fight for it.

You see where the problem lies.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by noeloge: 9:44pm On Oct 09, 2012
IF ONLY STUDENTS CaN UNDERSTaND D.aGONY OF JOB HUNTING aFTER SCHOOL MaNY STUDENTS WILL COOL DOWN FOR 4-5YRS COS ITS DIFFICULT OUT HERE aLUTa LIFE IS JUST a CHILDS PLaY

2 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by 360command: 9:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
Odunnu: I endorse this thread.
In addition to OP's advice, my dad always told us never to be a part of any MOB.
In the case of this Aluu killing, both the bystander, the lynchmen, the excited boys taking snapshots to upload online, the videomen, they all are guilty and need cleansing.

Nigeria! I sigh with the pronunciation of our country's name. It is really very sad that some people would enjoy taken video shots of seeing a being been slain to death! I mean, I believe such people must have used their Phone for the video cam. Didn't it occur to the people of using their phone by calling the police, instead of watching this people die by taken video shots?

The foundation of Nigeria is shaken, there is no relationship between the people and the police. People take laws into their hands in Nigeria. There should be needs to create media announcement, educating the people about what public policing is about. Why would it be that when one person sees another suffering, nobody cares to call for help in Nigeria? Is it when the deed has been done, we all come out to cry crocodile tears?

1 Like

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by tpia5: 9:54pm On Oct 09, 2012
Message to all nigerians

Thou shall not follow a multitude to do evil.

Remember God is watching you and you will give account.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
noeloge: IF ONLY STUDENTS CaN UNDERSTaND D.aGONY OF JOB HUNTING aFTER SCHOOL MaNY STUDENTS WILL COOL DOWN FOR 4-5YRS COS ITS DIFFICULT OUT HERE aLUTa LIFE IS JUST a CHILDS PLaY
If only my brother!!
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by dasparrow: 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
@Post

Well said. I think peer pressure is what has caused many youths of today to make bad friends. Also, moral is low in the society because if it wasn't, students will not see the need to associate with bad friends just to belong and feel cool. Parents must also do their path in raising their children right so that when they get to college where there is more freedom, they will behave themselves.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by honeric01(m): 10:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
The youth are long gone, NONE is ever going to listen to you because the media and the society won't let them listen to sane advices.
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
Roland17: Gory tales of students being ambushed and slaughtered like cows with #ALUU4 and Mubi killings in Adamawa the latest of this horrible show of shame, hate and cannibalism that has bedeviled our generation, i just hope this thread speaks to the intended audience.

Nairaland without any doubt has a huge population of Nigerian students, especially Jambites (Aspiring students), my advice may come across to some as a cliche or Deja vu but its my humble 2 cents.

My dad reminded me before i left for college while in Nigeria with this quote "The Ocean does not eat the foot of someone in his house, those who toy with the ocean would be drowned by the ocean"

Am pleading with any Nigerian student reading this, if for nothing, at least for the sake of your family/ guardian spending their hard earned Naira on your education, some parents have to do unmentionable jobs under the heat of the scorching sun and sometimes get drenched by the rain, just to make sure you are in school.

Please, Mind the kind/ type of friends you keep while in school, it keeps you 10 steps away from unseen circumstances that are imminent and inevitable in tertiary institutions, many have been slained by perceived friends.

The fourth guy who joined the #ALUU 4 for the hype would have been alive today if he made a wiser decision about joining his friends.

My 2cents

Comments are encouraged.

AT LAST!!! A sensible topic on this Uniport issue. The ONLY lesson learnable from this issue is what you have just pointed out here. People have to avoid the temptation/pressure of joining secret cults/criminal gangs and 'forming' 'hard' guys' all over the place. Fine, many people do this and escape unscathed, but you might not be so lucky - and you might end up a scapegoat. That is the lesson that needs to be learnt!

It's better to avoid evil altogether and keep your hands clean. I'm saying this from experience because I KNOW how these things work. I've been there, and I know all about it. Lol @ the parents/family/friends who naively or deceitlfully claim that their lovely fine boys are "well trained" good boys. Certified mass murderers, armed robbers and terrorists also have friends and families who would say the same thing. Callous crimes are not perpetrated by spirits; they are perpetrated by humans like the rest of us.

This is the only lesson parents should learn from this unfortunate episode and teach their children, rather than the sentimental media circus we've been bombarded with over the last few days.

God bless you for this post. It's unfortunate that truly wise words like yours often get drowned in the sea of mass sentimental hysteria.

3 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by sureboykris(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2012
Really don't care about d thread. All î ask for us justice for d wrongfully slain youths. No time to trade blames. They were innocent of d allegations of robbery. PERIOD

1 Like

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by cecegorz(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2012
Well, I read with utter pity where one of the victim's mum was vowing that his son is such a nice boy. Duh
If parents will only see a glimpse of what their sweet little girl/boy at home does in school, they will shudder in horror!
Truth is that students have the responsibility to be true to themselves. You can't fool anybody.

2 Likes

Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by dabrake(m): 10:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
Odunnu: I endorse this thread.

same philosophy i had

till I was robbed of my wallet, PC, phone and then pushed away from the very fast moving tarred road, sliding down in the direction of the bus, injured myself, . . . had to endure the trauma two months ago . . .
ever since then, i dey follow lynch oh
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by Roland17(m): 10:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
dabrake:

same philosophy i had

till I was robbed of my wallet, PC, phone and then pushed away from the very fast moving tarred road, sliding down in the direction of the bus, injured myself, . . . had to endure the trauma two months ago . . .
ever since then, i dey follow lynch oh

Am much as i feel sorry for what you went through, i don't think lynching portrays the true sense of justice, would u also publicly lynch ur subling?
Re: Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... by cecegorz(m): 10:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
Well, I read with utter pity where one of the victim's mum was vowing that his son is such a nice boy. Duh
If parents will only see a glimpse of what their sweet little girl/boy at home does in school, they will shudder in horror!
Truth is that students have the responsibility to be true to themselves. You can't fool anybody.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of Out-of-school Children In The World / FG Suspends UI Governing Council Meetings / Kwara Poly Student Protest Over Killing Of Colleague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.