Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? (3610 Views)

Prof. Osinbajo Pledges To God Not To Steal Public Funds If Elected / Amaechi Accuses Wike Of Embezzling N3.5 Billion Rivers Money / Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by zheroes(m): 9:44am On Jan 21, 2008
please can anyone in the know educate me on what the penalty is if a public servant embezzles public funds? or probably there is none?
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by oldie(m): 9:57am On Jan 21, 2008
Award of National Honours grin
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by zheroes(m): 10:31am On Jan 21, 2008
please can get a bit more serious, thanks for your comment.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by EKENEA(m): 11:21am On Jan 21, 2008
ten chieftancy titles
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 12:56pm On Jan 21, 2008
ten chieftancy titles

Award of National Honours

There are certain styles to it;
first you will claim its the work of your political enemies,

Secondly you would instigate another sensational story to cover up your,

Thirdly you can give the money to Andy Uba to transfer in Presidential jet to the U.S

Lastly you would claim you did what you had to do and that Nigeria would understand better in 40 years time.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by oldie(m): 1:04pm On Jan 21, 2008
zheroes:

please can get a bit more serious, thanks for your comment.

You want me to fabricate penalties?
I have just stated one of the penalties!
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by zheroes(m): 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2008
EKENEA:

ten chieftancy titles
oldie:

Award of National Honours grin

this is impossible, there seem to be no law here, turning around hopelessly looking for the next flight, possibly to sudan,but no i will stand and fight  grin grin grin
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by oldie(m): 2:26pm On Jan 21, 2008
zheroes:

this is impossible, there seem to be no law here, turning around hopelessly looking for the next flight, possibly to sudan,but no i will stand and fight grin grin grin

There are existing laws
Who control these laws?
Same people who embezzled our funds
Do you understand it now?
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by ono(m): 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2008
In the worst case scenario, you could be asked to do a kind of buy back of what you stole. How did Yar'Adua put it that time? Something like parting with some of what you stole, so that you can go free.

And in the worst of all cases, you'd spend six months in prison (like Tafa Balogun) and you'd be welcomed back home to your hometown, a worthy son of the soil.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by opokonwa(m): 2:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
zheroes:

please can anyone in the know educate me on what the penalty is if a public servant embezzles public funds? or probably there is none?

Before now, it used to be chieftancy titles undecided

Right now, alot of factors come into play

If you are a core Northerner, no penalty of course undecided

If you're a Southerner, you're on your own; EFCC might come charging down at you like a mad Alsatian dog undecided

Nigeria has not really changed. embarassed
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by charleyb: 11:38pm On Jan 21, 2008
I think the rule of law has more to say on that. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed If I may ask, what prompt ur asking. I 'll like to hear from u. tanks!
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by zheroes(m): 9:18am On Jan 22, 2008
charleyb:

I think the rule of law has more to say on that. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed If I may ask, what prompt your asking. I 'll like to hear from u. tanks!

am asking because it seems those that have in a way misappropriated funds are never put under any form of pressure, and if there is its only momentarily.

cheers.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by angel101(f): 11:34am On Jan 22, 2008
it depends on who committed the crime
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by ndubest(m): 11:38am On Jan 22, 2008
angel101:

it depends on who committed the crime

exactly

for the ex-governors

you get EFCC public show for one month

get bail after and return part of the loot

then you are free

toooooo bbbaaadddd
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by EloSela(f): 12:30pm On Jan 22, 2008
Nigeria is a lawless society.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by EKENEA(m): 1:15pm On Jan 22, 2008
@ Elosele

Please don't say so. we as Nigerians are not , but its those at the top , if you are found stealing goat you may go in for 2-5 years no bail straight to jail. but if its 800 million, you will get bail,if you are going to be jailed you spend your jail term in your house or Europe/USA,
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by EloSela(f): 1:26pm On Jan 22, 2008
EKENEA:

@ Elosele

Please don't say so. we as Nigerians are not , but its those at the top , if you are found stealing goat you may go in for 2-5 years no bail straight to jail. but if its 800 million, you will get bail,if you are going to be jailed you spend your jail term in your house or Europe/USA,

And this is what makes the society lawless.

Those at the top should be examples of how to behave as people look up to them but unfortunately those examples are very poor. This is why when some Nigerians travel abroad they always end up in jail because they find it hard to drop their lawless behaviour when they leave home.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by swing4real(m): 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2008
Nigeria is a lawless society full of VERY stupid IDIOTS that thinks they are smart.How can u claimed to be smart by stealing from your own people and sending the money to other man´s country?
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by chikeze(m): 12:22am On Jan 23, 2008
two years in prisonment!
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by DD5: 1:09am On Jan 23, 2008
I didnt even know embezling of funds was a crime in nigeria.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 5:18am On Jan 23, 2008
In a nutshell, CRIME PAYS HANDSOMELY IN NIGERIA, provided that an adequate portion of the illicit profits is reserved for "Law Enforcement" officials,  in the spirit of honor among thieves.   

Ironically the penalty for petty theft in Nigeria is death by lynch mob, since such small scale crimes by definition do not yield enough profit to share with onlookers, thus enraging them into a homicidal frenzy.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 5:21am On Jan 23, 2008
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 23, 2008
nomination to Federal Executive Council

of Chieftancy title.
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by kramer: 2:09am On Jan 10, 2013
You peculate.... You die

How did i land here
Re: What's The Penalty For Embezzling Public Funds In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:18am On Jan 10, 2013
EKENEA:
@ Elosele

Sorry o, please where do those at the TOP came from?
Remember, Jonathan was shoeless!
Every single individual in this country is lawless, corrupt and criminally minded.
Steal some money from the top, come to your community and all the ragged people there will carry drums and wellcome you with many songs of praise instead of stony you to death.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? / Gej Should Resign. Example Of Good Politics is JAPAN / Only A Brainless Person Will Say An Army General Has No WASC Certificate - El-ru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.