Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? (3607 Views)

You People Have Succesfully Turn Nairaland To Biafrand / 4 years: What Wrong With You People, Bridges Built By Ondo State Govt / Why Do Africans Love White People So Much? Do We Know Our History? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by SapeleGuy: 11:08am On Dec 13, 2009
It is pathetic and pitiful to think that without lifting a finger the fear of the north has paralysed some Nigerians into inactivity.

Where does this fear stem from ?

This is  a reminder to our people who have turned themselves into perpetual footstools, that it needn't be this way. We know most of you are paid propagandists and apologists, stop selling out your people.

All ethnicities are equal, no big brother or small brother, stand up and fight for your rights.

The north is not the enemy but rather those amongst us who continue to betray generations unborn for their own selfish purposes need to be rooted out.

Take a dose of courage and stand up for your rights.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by edoyad(m): 11:21am On Dec 13, 2009
Arise o compatriots

Nigeria. . .
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by MrCrackles(m): 12:08pm On Dec 13, 2009
Scared of the North. . . .Nah not me wink
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by WilyWily: 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2009
Sapele guy, I don't think South are Scared of North, the only problem we have are Saboteur Yorubas.
You knew they can change their colour.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Gbawe: 1:02pm On Dec 13, 2009
WilyWily:

Sapele guy, I don't think South are Scared of North, the only problem we have are Saboteur Yorubas.
You knew they can change their colour.

The tribalism on this board can be extremely ugly and distasteful at times. Racism is is abhorred by decent folks in civilised Countries. Its  equivalents in Africa , like xenophobia and tribalism, thrives very well. On this board some people are not even ashamed of how bigoted and hateful they sound. Is Iwu not an Igbo man ? Is he not a "saboteur" against Nigeria with the way he worked to rig in Yar Adua? All Yorubas are "evil traitors" and all Igbos are "nobel patriots" yet Iwu managed to be the arrowhead of a plot that has produced a man who is now regressing the entire Nation !!!!Let us recognise there is good and bad in every region of Nigeria instead of carrying around a myopic and childishly pathetic vision that others are demons while we view ourselves as Angels. It makes us no better than those who regard all Nigerians as criminals !!!
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by SapeleGuy: 2:00pm On Dec 13, 2009
Gbawe:

The tribalism on this board can be extremely ugly and distasteful at times. Racism is is abhorred by decent folks in civilised Countries. Its  equivalents in Africa , like xenophobia and tribalism, thrives very well. On this board some people are not even ashamed of how bigoted and hateful they sound. Is Iwu not an Igbo man ? Is he not a "saboteur" against Nigeria with the way he worked to rig in Yar Adua? All Yorubas are "evil traitors" and all Igbos are "nobel patriots" yet Iwu managed to be the arrowhead of a plot that has produced a man who is now regressing the entire Nation !!!!Let us recognise there is good and bad in every region of Nigeria instead of carrying around a myopic and childishly pathetic vision that others are demons while we view ourselves as Angels. It makes us no better than those who regard all Nigerians as criminals !!!

Great post.

My exasperation is with those amongst us (edo, yoruba, urhobo, igbo etc) who continually say 'the north' will not allow this or 'the north' said that whilst the traitors / saboteurs sit comfortably amongst us.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 13, 2009
Other factors get people scared of d north.Distance wise its far,very hot weather&sometimes some tribalist&religious extremist who can start trouble over trivial issues eg boko haram,sharia etc.These factors scare many corpers from serving in d north.@wily wily,mind ur trashed tongue.Why do u call yorubas saboteurs? Pls dnt start another tribal war on nairaland with ur frivolous thinking
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Dede1(m): 3:02pm On Dec 13, 2009
Ndigbo as well as Biafrans have never and will never be afraid or scared of the northern region of Nigeria. But issue is the well-being of the intestinal fortitude of certain ethnic groups in Nigeria to ably understand who they were and acknowledge their surroundings. The events of January 15, 1966 and subsequent irrational behaviors that followed would remain to dictate the present and future faith of Nigeria.

As much as Nigerians would readily recline into pretentious mood and sometimes deny the shameful behaviors of certain ethnic groups in Nigeria during the downs of 1966, the fact remains that the events of that era have doomed Nigeria forever. We must forget the so-called revolution as we may know it as laymen. The only solution to cesspit called Nigeria is either peaceful dissolution of Nigeria into nation states or total anarchy foisted by war of attrition.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by nduchucks: 6:38pm On Dec 13, 2009
But issue is the well-being of the intestinal fortitude of certain ethnic groups in Nigeria to ably understand who they were and acknowledge their surroundings.

You need to be specific on the ethnic groups referenced above, if you intend to communicate your thoughts effectively. For clarity, which ethnic groups do indeed understand who they were and acknowledge their surroundings? I have a suspicion that your non specificity is not an intentional ploy to appear confused, nor do I believe its due to an inability to communicate effectively.

The events of January 15, 1966 and subsequent irrational behaviors that followed would remain to dictate the present and future faith of Nigeria.

I submit that most Nigerians do not wish to remain slaves to events of January 15, 1966, the sensible thing to do is not to live in the past but learn from it and move forward.

As much as Nigerians would readily recline into pretentious mood and sometimes deny the shameful behaviors of certain ethnic groups in Nigeria during the downs of 1966, the fact remains that the events of that era have doomed Nigeria forever.

Again, which ethnic groups are you referring to here and why are you afraid to name them?   Most of us do not share your view that Nigeria is doomed forever. The people who do not plan to participate in moving us forward will not be allowed, under any circumstance, to actualize their dreams of destroying Nigeria.

The only solution to cesspit called Nigeria is either peaceful dissolution of Nigeria into nation states or total anarchy foisted by war of attrition.

This is the lazy man’s way of solving problems. Effeminate men similarly file for divorces instead of striving to save their families. I will attempt to explain my position without too much verbosity.

There are several reasons why I believe dissolution of Nigeria into nation states will not work. On the surface it might appear to you that adjusting the national boundaries so that each country's population would be confined to a large tribe or a number of compatible tribes would obviate the competition for power and resources.  Unfortunately, despite the disadvantages of the existing situation, there are enough vested interests in it to railroad any attempts at the adoption of your suggestion. Your suggestion would also lead some groups that are not viable for nationhood, wanting to become nation states - you can imagine the implication of this issue.

The stakes are high. They involve nothing less than the very survival of millions of  Nigerians. What we need to do is to explore the satisfactory sharing of power and resources through appropriate constitutional changes.   Other forms of constitutional arrangements such as  devolution of power to regional governments could be instituted.

SapeleGuy:

It is pathetic and pitiful to think that without lifting a finger the fear of the north has paralysed some Nigerians into inactivity.
Where does this fear stem from ?

oh boy, which kind question you dey ask there?  you sabi say, in thread after thread, na North people dey blame for everything?  someone nearly blame north because him get gonorrhea sef!   cheesy

de answer to ya question dey obvious - people no want take responsibility for their own inadequacies, so e dey easy to point fingers at north. i have news for una; northerners no go come southern states and hold their governors responsible for their own development. make una first go protest and blame una leaders locally before pointing fingers.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Beaf: 8:04pm On Dec 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

There are several reasons why I believe dissolution of Nigeria into nation states will not work. On the surface it might appear to you that adjusting the national boundaries so that each country's population would be confined to a large tribe or a number of compatible tribes would obviate the competition for power and resources.  Unfortunately, despite the disadvantages of the existing situation, there are enough vested interests in it to railroad any attempts at the adoption of your suggestion. Your suggestion would also lead some groups that are not viable for nationhood, wanting to become nation states - you can imagine the implication of this issue.

The stakes are high. They involve nothing less than the very survival of millions of  Nigerians. What we need to do is to explore the satisfactory sharing of power and resources through appropriate constitutional changes.   Other forms of constitutional arrangements such as  devolution of power to regional governments could be instituted.

Those "vested interests" must be uprooted or we are all cowards.
Now in the very same way you have asked Dede to name an ethnic group, I am asking you to boldly identify these "vested interests" for the sake of educating those who might either not know or might have conflicting opinions.

ndu_chucks:

de answer to ya question dey obvious - people no want take responsibility for their own inadequacies, so e dey easy to point fingers at north. i have news for una; northerners no go come southern states and hold their governors responsible for their own development. make una first go protest and blame una leaders locally before pointing fingers.

When Southerners blame Northerners for most of Nigerias woes, they have a very strong case. Run away from it if you like, but men of Northern origin have not only ruled Nigeria for 40 of 49 years, they have also had overwhelmingly "Northernised" cabinets (heading all strategic areas; defence, CBN, NNPC, foreign affairs, the army and airforce etc). The military which has been historically used as an instituition of coersion is unevenly staffed by Northerners.
These things need to be corrected, unfortunately until then, Southerners will continue pointing fingers at the North; there is no way to stop the obvious.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by nduchucks: 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2009
Beaf:

Those "vested interests" must be uprooted or we are all cowards.
Now in the very same way you have asked Dede to name an ethnic group, I am asking you to boldly identify these "vested interests" for the sake of educating those who might either not know or might have conflicting opinions.

I will happily enumerate the "vested interests":

[list]
[li]The ruling elite from all parts of the country and the king makers also from all parts of the country[/li]
[li]The millions of Igbo who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Yorubas who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Hausas who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Nigerian minority tribes who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]Millions of Nigerians who have inter married and have no interest whatsoever in nation states, for obvious reasons[/li]
[li]Foreign countries primarily USA, China, India[/li]
[/list]

There are many more groups that I have not listed, but you get the picture.  Frankly, most Nigerians do not want the breakup of the country, if you don't believe me, conduct your own personal survey when you come to Nigeria for a visit.

Beaf:

These things need to be corrected, unfortunately until then, Southerners will continue pointing fingers at the North; there is no way to stop the obvious.

We are in agreement that the status quo is unacceptable. We'll have to agree to disagree on the remaining part of your postulation.  One thing is certain, continuously blaming the north for your woes will not help you.

Charity begins at home - why don't you people start by call your thieving governors to order and demanding responsible governance for a start.   this should wind beaf up  smiley
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by SapeleGuy: 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2009
ndu_chucks - It is unfair to say that southerners are not holding their leaders responsible. You need only look at the discourse and criticism on sites like this against those like gamji.com or kano online which are comatose in comparison (no pun intended).

How many of them are calling for the conviction of Bafarawa? I agree with you, the northerners need to rise up and challenge their leaders but have proved historically incapable of this act and therefore can't help the south.

Let me put it this way, my forefinger is pointing at the elite who have mismanaged the affairs of this country for over 40 years who coincidentally happen to be northern.

My thumb is pointing at the traitors and collaborators in the south who have made the mismanagement possible, that doesn't exonerate the northern elite.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 8:51pm On Dec 13, 2009
@topic: The answer is very simple.

North is the most united group in Nigeria.
You can hate them if you want, you can even call them illiterates if it makes you feel better, but there is a reason why 90% of security guards in Nigeria is from the north.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by SapeleGuy: 8:57pm On Dec 13, 2009
Rather than focus on the break up of the nation, let us focus on decentralisation and devolution of power and the attendant benefits of such an arrangement.

The picture painted of a breakup is alarmist - you need only look at the united arab emirates to know that the apocalyptic vision of doom and gloom is the last resort of those who are afraid to support themselves.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Beaf: 8:59pm On Dec 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

I will happily enumerate the "vested interests":

[list]
[li]The ruling elite from all parts of the country and the king makers also from all parts of the country[/li]
[li]The millions of Igbo who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Yorubas who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Hausas who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]The millions of Nigerian minority tribes who reside or have resided in other parts of Nigerian for decades and have made those places their homes [/li]
[li]Millions of Nigerians who have inter married and have no interest whatsoever in nation states that for obvious reasons[/li]
[/list]

There are many more groups that I have not listed, but you get the picture.  Frankly, most Nigerians do not want the breakup of the country, if you don't believe me, conduct your own personal survey when you come to Nigeria for a visit.

We are in agreement that the status quo is unacceptable. We'll have to agree to disagree on the remaining part of your postulation.  One thing is certain, continuously blaming the north for your woes will not help you.

Charity begins at home - why don't you people start by call your thieving governors to order and demanding responsible governance for a start.   this should wind beaf up  smiley

Aside from the ruling elite and kingmakers, the rest of the groups mentioned severely lack the clout to move Nigeria in one direction or the other. Also, as I thought, others might have differences with your list. To me, these are the most important groups;
[list]
[li]The military[/li]
[li]Owners of oil blocks and bunkerers[/li]
[li]Refined fuel importers[/li]
[li]Leaders of various ethnic groups and regions[/li]
[/list]

As to charity beginning at home, based on what platform? We are already sorting that, but that is like asking that we simply put a plaster on a snake bite and life goes on.
Of much greater importance, is that the lopsided structure of our armed forces is done away with; its staffing is stacked heavily in favour of the North and the South very rightly see's it as a Northern tool of intimidation. That is core.

Whoever controls, a lopsided army, controls the country and the FG. There is no point wasting going after mere sparks when a huge flame is burning; concentrating energy on local leaders when everything is dictated and controlled from the centre is little more than a waste of time (witness Ibori); the centre needs to be thoroughly restructed and in a domino effect, propriety will flow downwards from it to states and LG's.

No upside down stuff.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 13, 2009
Depilot:

You can hate them if you want, you can even call them illiterates if it makes you feel better, but there is a reason why 90% of security guards in Nigeria is from the north.

This is the double standards that has held our country down for so long.

Barely 48hrs ago you were busy lecturing everyone else on patriotism to Nigeria. Now you are here celebrating what you call 'Nothern Unity'. I don't suppose you understand that if the North is united as a block against any other ethnic group is simply translates to a division and faultline for the wider Nigeria. If we want to be patriotic to our country and its constitution why do you celebrate a situation where some people have some reasons to put other interests over that of National Interest?
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by nduchucks: 9:03pm On Dec 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

ndu_chucks - It is unfair to say that southerners are not holding their leaders responsible. You need only look at the discourse and criticism on sites like this against those like gamji.com or kano online which are comatose in comparison (no pun intended).

While it may be unfair to say that southerners are not holding their thieving leaders responsible, it is however a fact. Additionally, many would rather blame the North for the failure of these southern leaders - you have to agree that, that is unfair as well. The point is, the leaders who have failed us come from the North, South, East, and West.  

SapeleGuy:

Let me put it this way, my forefinger is pointing at the elite who have mismanaged the affairs of this country for over 40 years who coincidentally happen to be northern.

My thumb is pointing at the traitors and collaborators in the south who have made the mismanagement possible, that doesn't exonerate the northern elite.

I'm glad you pointed a thumb at the people you call traitors and collaborators in the south who have contributed to the present state of the country.  They all share in the blame.  These people include governors, ex governors, ministers, several DGs, heads of parastatals, etc etc - again they are from North, South, East, and West.  Eh, don't forget to include the bank thieves in the group of people who helped to make the said mismanagement possible.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by nduchucks: 9:05pm On Dec 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Rather than focus on the break up of the nation, let us focus on decentralisation and devolution of power and the attendant benefits of such an arrangement.

The picture painted of a breakup is alarmist - you need only look at the united arab emirates to know that the apocalyptic vision of doom and gloom is the last resort of those who are afraid to support themselves.

Voice of reason. Thanks for the above comments
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:07pm On Dec 13, 2009
Rather than focus on the break up of the nation, let us focus on decentralisation and devolution of power and the attendant benefits of such an arrangement

You can run away from everybody, but yourselves. No need to breakup; we just need to respect/embrace one another, change the system, upgrade/empower election process, elect competent/sensible leaders and volunteer to contribute towards developing your country.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 13, 2009
Depilot:

You can run away from everybody, but yourselves. No need to breakup; we just need to respect/embrace one another, change the system, upgrade/empower election process, elect competent/sensible leaders and volunteer to contribute towards developing your country.

Depilot:

Can anyone justify the above two comments coming from the same person?
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:10pm On Dec 13, 2009
Oga Mikeansy: How life for your side?
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:12pm On Dec 13, 2009
Mikeansy:
The first post was posted to answer the question: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North'

The second post was posted to address breaking up Nigeria as a country.

It is OK to multitask?
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 13, 2009
Depilot:

Oga Mikeansy: How life for your side?

chairman how you dey? I dey ok sha
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by nduchucks: 9:14pm On Dec 13, 2009
@mikeansy and Depilot; una no go kill person here cheesy cheesy cheesy

@Beaf, i go deal with you later
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 13, 2009
Depilot:

Mikeansy:
The first post was posted to answer the question: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North'

The second post was posted to address breaking up Nigeria as a country.

It is OK to multitask?

It is surely ok to multitask but certainly not ok to propagate multiple ideologies. You are either a Nationalist or a Regionalist.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by becomrich15: 9:15pm On Dec 13, 2009
nigerian are scared of the north, because the north have been abusive to them. And that is the reason. it sometime takes time to over come abuse.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:18pm On Dec 13, 2009
becomrich,:

nigerian are scared of the north, because the north have been abusive to them. And that is the reason. it sometime takes time to over come abuse.
That was a cheap post.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 13, 2009
becomrich,:

Did someone else log in with Becomerich's identity?
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:21pm On Dec 13, 2009
mikeansy:

It is surely ok to multitask but certainly not ok to propagate multiple ideologies. You are either a Nationalist or a Regionalist.
Please pay attention to my background.
My bloodline is directly connected to Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba and 1 other country.
I can not disrespect any of these groups, I can only state the obvious truth.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Depilot(m): 9:28pm On Dec 13, 2009
The Igbo people are mostly unfocused (too fast), they want to do everything.

The Yoruba people want everything, but mostly do not want to climb the mountain to get it all.

The Hausa people are mostly very focused, patient (slow) and need not too much to be happy.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by SapeleGuy: 9:37pm On Dec 13, 2009
We must move away from these ethnic stereotypes, they are misleading and lack depth. Now imagine the three ethnicities you listed are happy with the status quo - Do you think the Izon, Edo, Urhobo, Tiv, Isoko, Esan etc will sit back and fold their arms?

Think again, there will be no peace if these ethnicities are not also satisfied- Nigeria is for all of us.
Re: Why Are You People So Scared Of 'The North' ? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 13, 2009
Depilot:

Please pay attention to my background.
My bloodline is directly connected to Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba and 1 other country.
I can not disrespect any of these groups, I can only state the obvious truth.

I am disinterested in your Ethnic or Tribal background. I am only interested in the inconsistencies in your argument and all too often this particular childish argument is the political mantra in Nigeria. They say the Igbos are not politically united, they say the North is politically united, they advice the Igbos to get united and turn around to lecture the Igbos on 'one Nigeria'.

The fact is that we have 250 ethnic groups, what can unite one ethnic group may not necessarily be what other ethnic groups fancy. So if all about 250 ethnic groups gets united as an ethnic group for politically reasons rather than uniting along National issues. We will simply have 250 faultlines in Nigeria which we already have anyway, but by continuing to make this hollow argument about ethnic unity we will simply continue to sustain our divisions.

This is why I take issues with your celebration of 'Northern Unity' as opposed to talking about Northerners accepting the wider National Interest where we we build an egalitarian society where all are equal and are united in our quest for economic justice for all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Orders Arrest Of Police Ig, Onovo / Fidelity Finances Africa’s Largest Aluminium Can Factory In Aba, Abia State / Video of Fighting in Rivers State House of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.