Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,212 members, 7,839,121 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize (5898 Views)

Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Adeleke Adeyemi Wins $100K (₦16m) LNG Literature Prize For 'The Missing Clock' / A Child Of Nigeria’ Wins Nobel Prize For Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Alaafialoro(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
maclatunji: Good for him. All Nobel Prizes are of interest to me because they give me the opportunity to learn new things that are quite advanced. The whole list should be posted on front page as well by the time the announcements end on Friday I believe.
....waiting in anticipation for such educative thread.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
I don't know why every discussion should be reduced to primordial arguments between Igbo and Yoruba. I'd like to see Nairaland stand for something; ethical consciousness or moral values or plain entertainment. But it is a discussion board where anything goes. Nairaland is daily being devalued and the moderators are not helping matters. Every article is jostled onto the front page in order to generate traffic. It shouldn't be so. Lively and intelligent debates often degenerate to name calling and there is no discipline.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2012
Rocktation:

Learn to loosen up more often, that was meant for laughs. And don't be silly to say that literature has no relationship with 'language'.

You're not that smart! I reiterate, language has nothing to do with literature. One may also argue that, the English language is most basic language and poorest language in the world. Hence, why most English language speakers/writers don't produce/write the best literature(to put that in the context of your myopic assertion that native English language speakers deserve to win the award more than anyone). Some of the greatest literary giants were/are french language speakers/writers. Yoruba language for example, is richer in the literary context than English.

However, Nigerians aren't native English speakers, and our mastery of the language is poor, except for a select few like: Prof. Wole Soyinka, Ben Okri etc. The use of English and mastery of the language is not about thesaurus induced impressionism, but accurate depiction and simplicity.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by sincerehair(m): 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2012
Wow! The day is come!
www.sincereindus.com
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by waledud(m): 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2012
datola: It's a joke!

Chinua Achebe's supposed to with this year's Nobel prize for literature for his infamous book on the war, while

Chief Awolowo's expected to win Nobel prize for economics for ending Achebe's war with just two policies. That man was a genious! Also,

Awolowo is supposed to win another Nobel prze for peace for ending the carnage, posthumoustly.

Or did Achebe reject the honour again??

Guy, ur mouth bad o. Achebe

Chinua Achebe's supposed to with this year's Nobel prize for literature for his infamous book on the war, while

Chief Awolowo's expected to win Nobel prize for economics for ending Achebe's war with just two policies. That man was a genious! Also,

Awolowo is supposed to win another Nobel prze for peace for ending the carnage, posthumoustly.

Guy, ur mouth bad o. Achebe

Guy, ur mouth bad o. Achebe is still our man, his recent igbocentric sentiments of a novel notwithstanding.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by maclatunji: 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2012
kITA TITA: I don't know why every discussion should be reduced to primordial arguments between Igbo and Yoruba. I'd like to see Nairaland stand for something; ethical consciousness or moral values or plain entertainment. But it is a discussion board where anything goes. Nairaland is daily being devalued and the moderators are not helping matters. Every article is jostled onto the front page in order to generate traffic. It shouldn't be so. Lively and intelligent debates often degenerate to name calling and there is no discipline.

Awwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Sircuba: 4:15pm On Oct 11, 2012
CAN DIS MAN STAND MY ROLE MODEL HON. PATRICK OBAIDAGBON? NEVER!
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by akigbemaru: 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2012
No Achebe is in the US while Awo is chilling with Saddam, Bin Laden, Mobutu, Ghadafi, Idi Amin and guess who Lucifer.

Achebe in USA, on his bedridden Poo.i.n.g on his a/s/s. it's time for him to die, refused and poked face alien in UFO.
Sage Awo, the greatest sage I ever known to entity called NIgeria. Is lavishing in heaven right now, the lucifer agent standing at the gates of hell fire with iron baseball batons, ready to pounce the biafailed quantitative and not to substantive writer.
Achebe has been like that since he was born, never appreciate anything about ibo land, but in his writings claimed to love Igbo land in his dream.
Evidence: he lived western region all his life and even started his book "things fall Apart" and finished it in city of Ibadan and critics usually lampooned him that he drew much of his inspiration from Yoruba culture but translates it to ibo culture. Like sociology says " environment where one grew up reflects and shapes much of one outlooks.
Now at old age, still lingering in diaspora, what a pathetic and confused old man. Even at the onset of war, he was still chasing beautiful women all around western region, until Kongi, a qualitative writer showed some concerned to biafran course. If KOngi does that in the present day NIgeria, we would set mob action on him for being a traitor.

Awo on the other side stayed with his Yoruba people till the death separated him from us. That is definition of a true leader, you don't see behind a closed door when you lived and spent all your life in oversea.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 11, 2012
tonyx4x44: Why not... 1 billion people understand him language
That's like 1/4 of the world population, the most spoken language in the world
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 11, 2012
alaoeri: Where is Achebe?

Moyan just stole Achebe's mandate......moyan na bad man for being over ambitious....grin
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Lamasta(m): 12:25am On Oct 12, 2012
lacasa: From the infested pits of the 3rd world to the Highest stands of global achievements in the Developed world.

The Chinese are it right now smiley
Mo Yan all the way

Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by ilee1206: 8:55am On Oct 12, 2012
From the infested pits of the 3rd world to the Highest stands of global achievements in the Developed world.
[img]http://www.forexchartingsoftware.info/pc.gif[/img]
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
TY tayo: Please poster what literary genre is he noted for

He is called the Chinese Franz Kafka.
So he falls into modernism and existentialism.
See Chinese Author of Big Breasts and Wide Hips Wins 2012 Nobel Prize in Literature on http://bookalleria..com/2012/10/chinese-author-of-big-breasts-and-wide.html

A writer should express criticism and indignation at the dark side of society and the ugliness of human nature, but we should not use one uniform expression. Some may want to shout on the street, but we should tolerate those who hide in their rooms and use literature to voice their opinions.

~ Mo Yan, Frankfurt Book Fair, 2009.
Re: Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 9:05pm On Oct 12, 2012

WHO WON?

Chinese author Mo Yan, 57.

FOR WHAT?

The Swedish Academy, which selects the winners, praised Mo's "hallucinatory realism," saying it "merges folk tales, history and the contemporary."

NOTABLE WORKS

"Red Sorghum"; "The Garlic Ballads"; "Big Breasts & Wide Hips"; "Frogs."

LITERARY IMPACT

Mo writes of visceral pleasures and existential quandaries, creating vivid characters. His early work stuck to a straightforward narrative structure enlivened by vivid descriptions and raunchy humor. In recent years, Mo has become more experimental, toying with different narrators and embracing a freewheeling style often described as "Chinese magical realism."

WHAT DID HE SAY?

"China has a lot of great writers. I know that in my heart ... I am very fortunate to have won this prize but I am quite clear. I know that the most important thing for an author is the work they produce ... I'll continue on the path I've been taking, feet on the ground, describing people's lives, describing people's emotions, writing from the standpoint of the ordinary people."

(1) (2) (Reply)

DREAMS & DATES ( Love Seriez ) / The Etisalat Flash Fiction Contest Has Started. These Are My 7 Best Stories / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.