Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,317 members, 7,819,077 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27686 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 12:49pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Both my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbos, so are you authoritatively saying I am IGBO ?

You are indeed an Igbo, but that does not mean that you lose our identity or affiliations with other ethnic groups. This idea of "pure" igbo is nothing but a bunch of balony, put forth by the saddists among us.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
What makes one's parents Igbo?

You can't bee Igbo by adoption because Igbo is not a country.

Igbo is not something you feel but what you are.

Nwanne,you nailed it,right there! Its an idea,a lifestyle and a mentality.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 12:53pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are indeed an Igbo, but that does not mean that you lose our identity or affiliations with other ethnic groups. This idea of "pure" igbo is nothing but a bunch of balony, put forth by the saddists among us.
if your mum is igbo and ur dad another thing, please you are a nwadiala/nwadiana and not an igbo please.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
I won't engage you in arguing over who's Igbo and who's not. I'm tired of having that argument. You asked "Can you pls list the ethnic groups you referred to as "Igbo speaking part of Delta". This is about communities that speak Igbo and not whether or not they're Igbo. I don't have time for tomfoolery.

Btw, are you Ndokwa? If you are, can you speak isoko?
You,the people of Obiaruku speaks both Isoko and Ukwuani the same way Ogume founding fathers used to speak both Beni and Ukwuani.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: if your mum is igbo and ur dad another thing, please you are a nwadiala/nwadiana and not an igbo please.
Whats the meaning of nwadiala/nwadiana ?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by RedLight1: 12:59pm On Oct 12, 2012
@billionaire

According to what have heard from real son of the soil.. If ur father and mother are not igbo.. U are definitely not igbo.. So having two identities doesnt qualify u to be true igbo
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:59pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
How dare you compare Igbos with condoms grin.
Hahahaha
LMAO
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 1:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: That was not comparison my friend, in elementary English we called it Metaphor.
Metaphor?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
i have said my own,no everyone that have igbo name are igbo. Their is difference b/w 0 and o....
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by vislabraye(m): 1:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Do you actually believe all the Igbos you've met are from one origin or born of Igbo parents? Ethnicity is actually a thing of the mind and not a thing of blood. An Igbo is anybody that believes he is Igbo and has the ethnic consciousness. A typical example on nairaland is "agbotaen" and "Ogbuefi" who are both from Ika(Igbo speaking part of Delta). While Ogbuefi believes he's 100% Igbo, Agbotaen dislikes being associated with Igbo.

Even someone from the heart of Igboland like Oraukwu, Nnewi and Orlu could dissociate himself and children from Igbo if he so wishes while a white European like Andre's friend recognizes himself as Igbo.

Are you saying that if you were born by Ibo parents but don't like Ibo that means you're not Ibo? Very funny.
Tomorrow Michael Essien would claim he's Ibo when he's not yet a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Whats the meaning of nwadiala/nwadiana ?
nwadiana/nwadiala is what you are to ur maternal home in igboland. Just like the english has it that ur uncle's or aunt's children are your cousins.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
nwadiana means someone that was born by an igbo woman but the father is from a different clan or tribe....
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by zoogy2007: 1:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Billyonaire: 11:33am
Both of my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbo, does that qualify me as Igbo ?
(Quote) (Report) (Like)

Can u comfortably sit amongst their UMUNNA? If you can then you are Igbo. If not then u are not.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: nwadianna means someone that was born by an igbo woman but the father is from a different clan or tribe....
Thanks, that means my aim of getting Igbo Chieftaincy Title is defeated. I need it for my political Resume.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 1:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
Eze Promoe:
All the names you mentioned above even the Ndokwa you say isn't Igbo has their meaning in Igbo language, even the meaning of the name 'anioma' can be easily described in Igbo than 'imo', 'abia', 'onitsha' and host of them.
Ndokwa is not part of Anioma as its an independent ethnic group that's why Ndokwa is being refers to as the second largest ethnic group in Delta state,those words might mean different things in Igbo from what they mean to the Ndokwa people.
There are similarities among Nigerian languages,for instance salt is pronounce as nnu-iyor in Ukwuani while the Yorubas pronounce salt as iyor omitting the nnu attached to it by the Ndokwas.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ejiné: Well, my father's Igbo. So I guess I am too.
same as major ike nwachukwu..
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Whats the meaning of nwadiala/nwadiana ?

This is the type of balderdash I referred to as balony, in my previous post. Being labelled nwadiala/nwadiana does not make you less Igbo, other Igbos will however try to label you and use that label to discriminate against you.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 1:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Ndokwa is not part of Anioma as its an independent ethnic group that's why Ndokwa is being refers to as the second largest ethnic group in Delta state,those words might mean different things in Igbo from what they mean to the Ndokwa people.
There are similarities among Nigerian languages,for instance salt is pronounce as nnu-iyor in Ukwuani while the Yorubas pronounce salt as iyor omitting the nnu attached to it by the Ndokwas.
Absolute Bunkum...dude, carry your lie comot here abeg...You're another Agboetan in the making.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 1:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Thanks, that means my aim of getting Igbo Chieftaincy Title is defeated. I need it for my political Resume.
No wonder you dey fight to convince everybody say you be Igbo,guy no chieftaincy title for you for Igboland so no bother waste your time oooo
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomto(f): 1:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
Is segun arinze igbo or yoruba? The correct answer wl solve one of the question by the poster.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This is the type of balderdash I referred to as balony, in my previous post. Being labelled nwadiala/nwadiana does not make you less Igbo, other Igbos will however try to label you and use that label to discriminate against you.
Well, if they deny me Igbohood, and the Chieftaincy title I crave for, then no wahala. I know PDP wont mind.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomto: Is segun arinze igbo or yoruba? The correct answer wl solve one of the question by the poster.
Segun Arinze has an Igbo father and a Yoruba mother. That makes him Igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

hahaha! This guy is truly ignorant of igbo culture!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Sealeddeal(m): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
You are an Igbo man if u are from old Eastern Nigeria and Benue or have 'settled' in any of these area for up to 20years and married to an Igbo man/woman,If you are born of Igbo parents or adopted by same or if your father is an Igbo man,If you accept Igbo as ur root,If you speak Igbo,....this goes to show that some Ikwerres or some parts of Delta who claim non-igbo origin are not Igbo.Any person who cannot speak Igbo whether born of Igbo parents is not Igbo.you must satisfy all the conditions listed above before u'll be considered Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
So, if the mom that carried him for 9 months is Igbo, he cant be called Igbo, but the Dad, that engaged in 5 minutes intercourse gets all the Identity Authorizations. This world sef.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
NDU_CHUCKS THE HAUSA/FULANI ACTIVIST HAS ANAMBRA MOTHER BUT FULANI FATHER, SO CAN I COMFORTABLY SAY NDU_CHUCKS IS IGBO? ANSWERS PLEASE? grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomto(f): 1:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
bt if its the other way round or if he was raised by his mother and never visits his fathers home and at the°c same time doesn't speak igbo, is he an igbo too.?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by stagger: 1:20pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: one day an hausa man will walk into ur umunna meeting and tell them that he's no more hausa but igbo. Hope u will accept him!

Have you been to the Hausa community at Onu-Asata in Enugu? All the Hausa kids there are bi-lingual. Do your research.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:20pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomto: Is segun arinze igbo or yoruba? The correct answer wl solve one of the question by the poster.
which of his parents is igbo and yoruba?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 1:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomto: bt if its the other way round or if he was raised by his mother and never visits his fathers home and at the°c same time doesn't speak igbo, is he an igbo too.?
According to Igbo culture and most African cultures, you're from a place only if your Father is from there. But we all have our personal beliefs. Personally, as long as you have an Igbo blood either through your father or mother or even as far as your maternal grandmother then you qualify as Igbo. Even if you're an Oyibo, you'll equally be embraced into the Igbo nation but you will not become IGBO(tribe).
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: NDU_CHUCKS THE HAUSA/FULANI ACTIVIST HAS ANAMBRA MOTHER BUT FULANI FATHER, SO CAN I COMFORTABLY SAY NDU_CHUCKS IS IGBO? ANSWERS PLEASE? grin
no
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 1:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Absolute Bunkum...dude, carry your lie comot here abeg...You're another Agboetan in the making.
I am driving now,I will provide you with detailed facts when I get to my destination,you don't know the origin of your people let alone that of Ndokwa,where did Igbos come from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.