Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Is Marriage An Achievement? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage An Achievement? (18568 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Seamah: 1:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
Its a personal thing but i get the feeling that the poster is looking for a reason to justify his status as an old bachelor especially in mix of friends and colleague who flaunt their marriage at him. If u no wan marry na u sabi, but dont make mockery of a sacred institution as marriage,abeg
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by tasandra: 1:06pm On Oct 12, 2012
Yes my dear,a happy marriage wit gr8t kids,is the best achievement Eva smiley
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by safarigirl(f): 1:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
Marriage is a fulfillment of one's supposed obligation to society. It is over rated, and some of the most successful women in the world are not married, but they are achievers, Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks, Genevieve Nnaji, and if Whitney hadn't ruined her exemplary life by marrying that d0pe head, she would have been one of them. I feel that having kids is more of an achievement. Women who get married but have no kids, are considered failures, same as men to an extent, once you have good kids that are a pride to society, no one really cares bout your marital status.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by megxo(m): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
its only anoda title>>>>>>>>>>>>>cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Gracious10: 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
Nosenomo: what could be an achievement as marriage,anyone that reach the age of marriage and is not married is been regarded as irresponsible.

This is the most efulefu comment I have ever read on NL.
So people who are not married but achieved educational qualifications,philanthropist,employers of labour and doing very well in their fields are irresponsible? some people just reason from their armpits!

Someone can be married and be highly irresponsible! Haven't u seen married men and women bring unbearable diseases home? Haven't u seen hight of insubordination and disrespect around married people? Marriage isn't everything. Improve urself first before hidding under marriage.

It's so appalling when people make ur kind of comments. Get ur ears outta religious and cultural believes. Be a little abstract in ur thinking!

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by claremont(m): 1:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
I don't consider marriage to be a tangible achievement, maybe I'm biased because I'm not married.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by troy20(m): 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
safarigirl: Marriage is a fulfillment of one's supposed obligation to society. It is over rated, and some of the most successful women in the world are not married, but they are achievers, Oprah Winfrey, Tyra Banks, Genevieve Nnaji, and if Whitney hadn't ruined her exemplary life by marrying that d0pe head, she would have been one of them. I feel that having kids is more of an achievement. Women who get married but have no kids, are considered failures, same as men to an extent, once you have good kids that are a pride to society, no one really cares bout your marital status.
do i sense someone who is possibly giving dis a seriouse thought? Mayb having a kid out of wedlock since age mayb catching up? Or a single mum already? Wel jst so u kno if marriage arnt an achievment 4 u, having kids isnt either sweethrt.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by KINGwax(m): 1:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^^ NONSENSE!!!
the highest achievement ANYONE can attain is to be happy and fulfilled with the life they chose for themselves....whether married OR single.
i knw your type, u end up supporting gay marriage, lesbianism, beastiality, marriage to an animal, sexism, feminism, terrorism, sciencetology and all other immoral things one reasonable can't think of!
I'm not yet married, but i knw there's nothing better than having a loving wife, being surrounded by beautiful children, living simple and smiling. In the end, one of the best thing is to get old and get smiles and pecks from your old children, hugs from grandchildren and care from a loving wife. Any other things u do that one person frowns at is enough to let u knw is bad. U all jes in the fuckin name of civilization indulge and enjoy immoralities. Go figure!

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
@topic, marriage is fulfillment and never an achievement plz cool

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Gracious10: 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
DailyNews: @topic, marriage is fulfillment and never an achievement plz cool

Thank you!
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by adefash(m): 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
@op: do u know that some ppl lose contracts because of marital status? Some company are comfortable giving contracts to responsible bidders rather than those without responsibilies. A friend of mine once told me he was asked if he was married in the course of bidding for a contract.he bellieves,though not sure,lost the contract because was was single.
The op must be single.you cant understand the achievement behind getting married until u are married.
My conclusion,marriage is an achievement.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by adefash(m): 1:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
DailyNews: @topic, marriage is fulfillment and never an achievement plz cool
if i may ask,what is the meaning of achievement? Achievement simply means realising your dream or goal.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by controlseven: 1:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ur question is more of a puzzle because its difficult to place what actually defines an achievement in marriage...Status symbol? Happiness? Wealth? Children?...the list is endless. One should be more concerned with fulfilments in marriage which ofcourse are personal goals. But hey! Marriage is blissful if u find the right patner.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Victorjoseph(m): 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
For me, marriage is an achievement for women most especially. I may decide nt to marry and no one would ever see it as if I have never achieved anything in lyf. But for d ladies,marriage is a compulsory task ahead of every woman's life.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Freiburger(m): 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Can you set 'Marriage' as your goal in life ?
Some people does that for reasons best known to them, and i don't think you are in a position to judge them.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by damas11111(m): 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
It actually depends on what it means to you. It's a personal thing. If you desire it and think you will be more fulfilled with having children and a loving wife around you, then it is an achievement when you are able to achieve that desire.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by revlution: 2:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^^ NONSENSE!!!
the highest achievement ANYONE can attain is to be happy and fulfilled with the life they chose for themselves....whether married OR single.
Thank you very much Sir, this is the greatest word of wisdom av read on this site. Marriage achievers take note. Achievement in life is all about what he has said. Marriage or no marriage.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by boyofgodbybirth(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
k2039: A good marriage is an achievement
Please which one do you term as good marriage. I'll like to know.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by kennytidistar(m): 2:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
there is time for everything on the surface of the earth, when you married as at the right time meaning after necessary education you know little education is even dangerous to marital life. not by sleeping with girls and impregnating them. but proper weding then you have achieve you may not have millions but atleast you wont beg buut if you did make mistake and jump the gun you are just a dreamer you have not achieved shogbo?
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Chukseric(m): 2:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
4me,i dont c marriag as any achievement,cos i ve seen many guys who r nt establishd,yet they got married,i ve even seen litle kids,nonentities even mad men all got married.so if ds calibre of pple could marry,so what is d achievement there.i blive dt mariag is a tin of mind,d4 any person who wishes 2 marry wl definitly do irrespective of ur financial status.so no big deal wen it comes 2 d issue of mariage.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Anyigala(m): 2:47pm On Oct 12, 2012
Not necessary. How can it be an achievement? Any tom, dick and harry can get married these days. You can even get your friends and family members to foot the wedding bill and take care of your kids. Real achievement is not just getting married but also, taking good care of your family.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
KINGwax: i knw your type, u end up supporting gay marriage, lesbianism, beastiality, marriage to an animal, sexism, feminism, terrorism, sciencetology and all other immoral things one reasonable can't think of!
I'm not yet married, but i knw there's nothing better than having a loving wife, being surrounded by beautiful children, living simple and smiling. In the end, one of the best thing is to get old and get smiles and pecks from your old children, hugs from grandchildren and care from a loving wife. Any other things u do that one person frowns at is enough to let u knw is bad. U all jes in the fuckin name of civilization indulge and enjoy immoralities. Go figure!

another confused soul that needs saving, lol! why do you think that what you wrote is immoral?! it is immoral TO YOU (fair enough) but if people want to indulge in anything that is LEGAL WHERE THEY RESIDE, then they have all the right to do so.....whether you (or any sheep like you) like it or not.
no wonder BH is thriving in Nigeria when most think like you do, lol!
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by jpphilips(m): 2:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
Viciyke: Am jus wondering if marriage is an achievement because i see young ladies/men who seem not 2 have achieved anything yet in life go into marriage cos of one reason or the other. So do u tink marrying when u av not reached ur expectations in life an achievement or a good idea?

Total liability
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by vinnyvinny(m): 3:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
Marriage is not an achievement.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Godysien(m): 3:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
acidosis™:
If your car is an achievement, then marriage is much more than an 'achievement'.

If you are able to pay her dowry (small or huge) and wed her in a registry, church or mosque, then you are an achiever! Do not mistake marriage with sleeping around or co-habitation.
This is the very first time u talk and make sense in NL.Thank God it's friday!
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by chiomat: 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
when ur unable to achieve money or gud tins of life u should be able to achieve children n ur husband so dat u dont loose completely.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by chiomat: 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
i understand u wont to remain single all ur life gud luck then.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by spendogram: 3:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
If you are happily married then you will know that marriage is an achievement. If you have also tried to be happily married but failed you will know that marriage is an achievement. By the way the question posted by the OP is very funny. Is the world getting more ignorant or what?
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
Marriage is not an achievement, being happy, fulfiled and building ones esteem everyday and being with people who help you achieve your goals is an achievement.
It is sickening the way people mostly people themselves who are in unhappy marriages try to shove marriage down the throat of others, to degrade unmarried people so they can feel better about their own sad lives.
I see so many people in very sad marriages whose favorite pastime is harassing single friends and stylisly insulting them, meanwhile they are stuck, unhappy and are unable to achieve other goals because all their energy, time and resources are used in patching a bad marriage, their only source of joy is in seeing singles who they consider as worse off.
I know what it means to be happily married and so I will never advice anyone to rush into marriage or make them think they must be married, I prefer people find themselves and find someone who deserves a share in their lives than wait for someone to "complete" them.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by k2039: 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
boyofgodbybirth:
Please which one do you term as good marriage. I'll like to know.

Successful marriage doesnt necessarily mean a perfect marriage(I dont think their is a perfect marriage,I have not seen one,their will definately be low points).

But a succesful marriage will entail the following

Both spouses are honest with each other and have a good relationship and communication between them

Both spouses live up to their marital vows,and admit to be wrong and make necessary changes when they do break some of it.

Either of them compromise when necessary

They both work as a team and weather through the challenges of life together

It all boils down to this:We all change over time,if both couples can say that they still love each other through all of life challenges, IMO, that is a good/successful marriage.

I hope I have answered your question.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by salt1: 3:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
Marriage is a necessary rite of passage. It develops character. To see it as an achievement in itself may not be right. It isn't an end but a means to an end. Marriage may have sorrows but there are no pleasures in being single. Ever laughed or cried alone?
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by kemifemi: 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
Olhar: Well, it depends.....it's an achievement but at the same time.....even if you haven't achieved anything before marriage, most marriages bring in enough achievements for the couples......and open many opportunities

I agree with you 1000%, if there's anything like that! Lolz
In less than 7 months of marriage, I got a job after waiting for about one and a half year.
My husband also got a new job he didn't even apply for. And its was way better than the one he left.
He who finds a wife has found a good thing and obtained favour from the Lord.
But I must say that I also prayed to God for several months pre and post wedding, and am glad he answered me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Judge Sent Lawyer To Prison For Chasing Wife With Cutlass (pic) / My Husband Gives Me N10 Per Meal To Feed A Family Of Six – Woman Tells Court / Should Micheal Essien (of Chelsea FC) Support His Father More?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.