Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,896 members, 7,821,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas (8705 Views)

Photos Of Cancer-Stricken Diezani Alison-madueke With Dele Momodu / El-Rufai Visits Flood Ravaged Areas In Kaduna (Photos) / Jonathan Visits Flood Victims In Delta (Video And Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by supereagle(m): 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
(AGI) Abuja - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan had begun a tour of the areas hardest hit by flooding, described as "the worst in our history - an authentic national disaster."

In Kogi alone, the central state toured by Jonathan, the local Civil Defense (NEMA) calculated around 630,000 displaced persons and over 150,000 hectares of cultivated land destroyed.

During the current rainy season, which in Nigeria runs from June to the end of October, there have been 148 deaths, according to a cautious estimate by the local Red Cross.

During the week the government gave the go-ahead for the forming of a commission to guarantee assistance to the population effected and allocated 85 million euros for medical assistance operations. "We are doing everything possible to allow everyone to return to their homes, soon it will be over," stated the President, who tomorrow will continue his visit reaching the Niger Delta flood victims.

In the meantime, the association of Nigerian doctors (NMA) has launched an alarm about the possible spreading of epidemics fostered by the contamination of the water table and the high concentration of displaced persons in the nearby reception centers. There are fears particularly for the outbreak of typhoid and cholera, cases of which have already been reported.

In addition to epidemics, it is feared that the flooding of the camps may further compromise an already negative agricultural season and create a serious food shortage in the coming months.

The NEMA also raised the level of risk due to the presence in urban centers of animals from the Savannah which the flooding has displaced from their natural habitat. The main dangers, NEMA warns, are those from hippopotamuses and crocodiles, already sited in numerous parts of the disaster area.

"The water has drained away and I could go back to my home, unfortunately I cannot do so because at the moment there is a hippopotomus living there - I can't do anything but wait until he tires of it and goes away," an inhabitant told the BBC in the central state of Benue. . .

http://www.agi.it/english-version/world/elenco-notizie/201210112058-cro-ren1083-nigerian_president_visits_flood_striken_areas
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by Bukkyade: 12:04am On Oct 12, 2012
This is a president, that know his job and how to do it.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by jbrodaly(m): 12:05am On Oct 12, 2012
Heard a critic said(on channelsTV) it was not good that Oga has not visited these areas..I think that was 2 days ago Oga decided to visit the next day.Jonah....Criticism pays!
Anywayz,if the flooding can be blamed on the opening on the dams ;The next step is how to prevent this same thing from happening again.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by tpia5: 12:07am On Oct 12, 2012
630,000 displaced persons

wow, this is bad.

over 150,000 hectares of cultivated land destroyed.

that's very serious.

wont this affect food supply in the long run?
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by BrutusOj(m): 12:10am On Oct 12, 2012
JONAH at it again!!! grin grin
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by acidtalk: 12:10am On Oct 12, 2012
When water don clear finish shey?
My Jonah dey fear make Hippo and Crocodile no go chop am.

No be him name sake enter fish belle for sometime wey no die.

Jonah, no worry water, Hippo, shark, or crocodile no fit do you anything.

Next time come paddle canoe like Oshomole, Peter Obi, and that Elephant you call your avaition minister.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by bid4rich(m): 12:11am On Oct 12, 2012
How I wish it never happened. Where would the displaced start from?
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by mike404(m): 12:13am On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@:

wow, this is bad.

that's very serious.

gringringringrin omo you too like food

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by alaoeri: 12:19am On Oct 12, 2012
Despite that am not a fan of GEJ administration, must commend this welcome development showing a sign of concern about the displaced ppl.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by Ndkings1(m): 12:20am On Oct 12, 2012
Na wa ooo. I fear for that.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by tpia5: 12:20am On Oct 12, 2012
bid4rich: How I wish it never happened.

there's a lot to be wished had never happened.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by tpia5: 12:21am On Oct 12, 2012
mike404: gringringringrin omo you too like food

just wondering because there might be a shortage later, unless some is imported from outside.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by uzomagic(m): 12:25am On Oct 12, 2012
Talk of a responsive leader. Talk of Jonathan. Always quick to identify with the plight of his people.
I believe you Mr president.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by Nobody: 12:46am On Oct 12, 2012
He has tried.next!!
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by chelseabmw(m): 12:58am On Oct 12, 2012
na wah ooo
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by healthywealth: 2:02am On Oct 12, 2012
God help us from this flood oo
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by Egbagirl(f): 2:41am On Oct 12, 2012
Ok now, how do we prevent floods from happening next year? Floods are hitting us every year and yet, nothing is done to prevent them. Do we even know if the causes are man-made? It's usually medicine after death in Nigeria. We go first wait for the calamity to happen then begin dey find put bandage for wound without knowing the cause. The government needs to find out the root causes and see what can be done to prevent another recurrence or at least make it more bearable.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by babseg(m): 3:13am On Oct 12, 2012
What is the proof he visited the place? I was expecting to see pictures but none. Even if it is PhotoShoped picture it might be convincing a little bit.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by vislabraye(m): 4:19am On Oct 12, 2012
It looks as if its partly man made. The govt was even thinking about dredging the river Niger. May be they've carried out the first stage.
The root cause should be investigated.
A lot of money was spent on ecological funds.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by sentix(m): 4:47am On Oct 12, 2012
Floods been on for week na now e get chance to come! Aboki!!!
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by sentix(m): 4:47am On Oct 12, 2012
Floods been on for weeks na now e get chance to come! Aboki!!!
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by jamace(m): 5:14am On Oct 12, 2012
acidtalk: When water don clear finish shey?
My Jonah dey fear make Hippo and Crocodile no go chop am.

No be him name sake enter fish belle for sometime wey no die.

Jonah, no worry water, Hippo, shark, or crocodile no fit do you anything.

Next time come paddle canoe like Oshomole, Peter Obi, and that Elephant you call your avaition minister.
Omo, your mouth sharp pass razor blade. Like say na mouth dem de take do things better, I for appoint you to be president by fire by force so dat Naija go better. grin
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by azimibraun: 5:48am On Oct 12, 2012
And when the stone hearted slowpoke vists Rivers state on anoda trip and decide to say smthing finaly abt the Aluu 4 sm eediots wll say dt is d president dat knws what he is doing.. Wen d water hs resended in kogi he is visiting and when d Aluu 4 parents hv bin condoled by ordinary folks den shall he cum and am sure wll b lafin and talking to d parents of kids murderd in d most gruesome manner. Mr aftermath wen he is nt Dr Dre.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by jadakiss213(m): 5:56am On Oct 12, 2012
Egba girl: Ok now, how do we prevent floods from happening next year? Floods are hitting us every year and yet, nothing is done to prevent them. Do we even know if the causes are man-made? It's usually medicine after death in Nigeria. We go first wait for the calamity to happen then begin dey find put bandage for wound without knowing the cause. The government needs to find out the root causes and see what can be done to prevent another recurrence or at least make it more bearable.
now,tell me how would u prevent floods of this magnitude? Its a natural disaster for Gods sake..U be real EBA girl.G**ri don block ur medula..smh
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by uglyBetty1(f): 6:04am On Oct 12, 2012
[quote author=tpia@]

wow, this is bad.

that's very serious.

It's going to affect food supply in d long run because of the washed farm lands. Even now the price of beans in d market is something else. It's now food for the rich. Now think of what will happen next year, and if Sanusi still surfaces with dt N5000 issue. Na God go save us.

Except if we do dry season farming. It can help sha.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by floriana(m): 6:04am On Oct 12, 2012
A PhD holder that can't speak simple and correct English Language. An ijaw kid afraid of water. A 'Fishiologist' afraid of shark attack in fresh waters. A leader who doesn't know when to lead. Never has any leader been so besieged by myriad of problems as a result of his own foolish choices. Never has any Nigerian been held in derision by the people he leads as a result of his patent incompetence.
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by Sijo01(f): 6:07am On Oct 12, 2012
No pictures??..... How do we know he even visited the flooded areas and the camps?
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by tonyx4x44(m): 6:16am On Oct 12, 2012
Food go cost for market o!
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by jadakiss213(m): 6:28am On Oct 12, 2012
floriana: A PhD holder that can't speak simple and correct English Language. An ijaw kid afraid of water. A 'Fishiologist' afraid of shark attack in fresh waters. A leader who doesn't know when to lead. Never has any leader been so besieged by myriad of problems as a result of his own foolish choices. Never has any Nigerian been held in derision by the people he leads as a result of his patent incompetence.
Are you any better than what u described? C'mon cut this guy some slack
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by HumbleServant(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2012
tonyx4x44: Food go cost for market o!
I won go farm. Mak i use am hammer nxt yr. I won use dis opportunity bcm farmeroooooo
Re: Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas by HumbleServant(m): 6:37am On Oct 12, 2012
Goodluck Jonathan has suffered so many things in his adminstratn. I don't blame him, i will rather pray 4 him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Battle Of Imagbon (the Anglo-ijebu War) 1892 / List Of Nigerian Leaders And Thier Religion Since 1963 / Senator Ayogu Eze Paid A Condolence Visit To The Family Of Ngwoke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.